AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-09-07, 15:48   Link #1
Maccette
VF-1X Original Test Pilot

Looking for Slice of Life, Not in School...

More or less looking for a slice of life, comedy, romance type anime, one condition, I do not want them to be in jr high or high school.

Something like:
Clannad after story
You're under Arrest
Ah! my Goddess
SDF Macross (personal favorite)

I place my next series in your hands...

Last edited by Maccette; 2010-09-07 at 17:46. Reason: Spelling
Old 2010-09-07, 17:17   Link #2
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Welcome to the NHK – One of my alltime favs…It’s a funny (and equally dramatic) look at the life of certain otaku’s slash hikikomori’s with a driving romantic force around the concept of living this sort of life and the pressures of having to give it up to live a "normal life" and//or be with a girl you really like…

Peacemaker Kurogami - There is a decent amount of violence at points though, but it's set in the Edo-like time frame of samurais and such, but there are budding romances throughout the show…

Full Metal Panic Fumoffu – Yeah they show is about this A.I. drive for this mobile suit, but the second season is way more random and slice of lifey with lots of comedy and “romance” concerning the major characters...
Old 2010-09-07, 17:46   Link #3
Maccette

I agree, Fumofu is great, but... they are in High School, don't get me wrong, I Love K-on! School Rumble and Azumanga Diaoh, and Amagami SS, but i need something that is not in a High School.
Old 2010-09-07, 20:15   Link #4
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Maison Ikkoku

Trust me. It's a good one.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-09-07, 21:43   Link #5
Seiryuu

Try REC. It's short and sweet, but it's an interesting slice of life romcom. The girl looks like she's jh or highschool, but she's 20 and an aspiring seiyuu. Sort of an odd romcom, since the pair live together without dating, even though the first night the two do IT. And barely remember to find out each other's names while they strip. Just FYI, while it's clear enough that the characters had sex, there is very little fanservice and no visible nudity or needless panty shots. The manga's another story, though.
Old 2010-09-07, 22:44   Link #6
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccette View Post
I agree, Fumofu is great, but... they are in High School, don't get me wrong, I Love K-on! School Rumble and Azumanga Diaoh, and Amagami SS, but i need something that is not in a High School.
LOL< oh Yeah I forgot...I'm just thinking about all the eps that weren't in the school...Which seemed like alot...I remember this beach island episode that was funny as hell when they started spoofing Gundam SEED-Mode to spy on nekkid girls^^...

Now that I think about it Welcome to the NHK isn't in HS, but it's based around college life to some extent...Some might argue but I think Darker than Black (Just S1) is a pretty good slice of life (With a ridiculously random romance arc), which is one of the reasons it's such a disappointing series to me...But as a slice of life it works...
Old 2010-09-08, 02:12   Link #7
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Nana
Paradise Kiss
Old 2010-09-08, 08:07   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Bartender has a "slice-of-life" feel, and everyone is much beyond high school. Another adult-oriented series you might try is Hataraki Man about a 28-yo magazine editor. The Arienai subs are a bit hard to find these days, but Google is your friend.

Planetes is also often characterized as a slice-of-life show, though there are some underlying plot threads that continue throughout. Again everyone is an adult. The concept of a romantic relationship between a younger woman and her male senpai found in Planetes also recurs in Nodame Cantabile and Toshokan Sensou. These have more plot than a traditional slice-of-life show has, but they both focus on people of college age or older.

Other possibilities include Antique Bakery and Ristorante Paradiso. The former is licensed; the latter was shown on Crunchyroll but is no longer available there.

I forgot to mention House of Five Leaves, for me the best series to premiere in 2010. It's a languid, deep character study about a group of kidnappers in the Edo period.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2010-09-08 at 18:04. Reason: added House of Five Leaves; added clarity
Old 2010-09-08, 14:42   Link #9
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Question is the age range for jr high/high students the issue, or the school setting?

As Working has that age range but has no focus on school at all, since it's focused on them working at their job for the most part. It's comedy, slice of life, and minor romance.

And Mahoraba ~Heartful days~ has the main lead is in post-HS art/drawing school with comedy, romance, and slice of life in it. Though two of female characters are in High School still, isn't really a focus point bar a few episodes.
MAL
Old 2010-09-08, 17:58   Link #10
Maccette

It's more or less the setting, and i have seen working and enjoyed it . are they planning a 2nd season on that? and thank you everyone for the recommendations i'll have to look a few of these up, please respond with more if you can think of anything.
Old 2010-09-09, 19:42   Link #11
bloppyblue
SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!

Working!! is a slice-of-life comedy (with romance, yeah) about working at a restaurant (someone else had mentioned this)

Sora No Woto although probably not what you're looking for (but go check out a summary before deciding) is a military comedy slice-of-life. It's a relaxing anime and has pretty nice scenery lol. There's no romance involved and not a lot of war (from what I've seen so far). It's about the main girl joining the military to learn how to play the bugle and the events at the Platoon she's stationed at and the characters around her.

Sorry, can't recommend many xD
Old 2010-09-09, 20:44   Link #12
GreatTeacherKen

Aria- excellent slice of life series set in the lovely Venice-inspired setting of Neo-Venezia. The characters are teens but the series doesn't take place in school; rather it focuses on the daily lives of gondola rowers, particularly Akari who aspires to be a prima like her coworker/superior Alicia.
Old 2010-09-09, 23:47   Link #13
Maccette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu View Post
Try REC. It's short and sweet, but it's an interesting slice of life romcom. The girl looks like she's jh or highschool, but she's 20 and an aspiring seiyuu. Sort of an odd romcom, since the pair live together without dating, even though the first night the two do IT. And barely remember to find out each other's names while they strip. Just FYI, while it's clear enough that the characters had sex, there is very little fanservice and no visible nudity or needless panty shots. The manga's another story, though.

Thank you for this recommendation! I just finished REC and loved it. It was exactly what I was looking for.

If anyone knows of anything similar to REC i would love to know about them thanks everyone!
Old 2010-09-10, 03:03   Link #14
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

I've noticed that people have a very strange standard for Slice of Life.

Haven't seen REC (it's on my ever growing list of things I need to see [and probably won't until I have a degree]) but try Honey and Clover. All the characters are in college and while the focus is mainly on friendships, there are strong romantic themes throughout.
Old 2010-09-10, 15:06   Link #15
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

I third WORKING!!. It's an excellent slice of life comedy series that takes place in a restaurant.
Old 2010-09-10, 16:13   Link #16
FireChick

I have some anime for you!

Tamayura (kinda...)
Aria the Animation (and other series)
Bottle Fairy
ANYTHING by the World Masterpiece Theater
Emily of New Moon

...and I think that's it.
Old 2010-09-14, 18:35   Link #17
Maccette

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
I have some anime for you!

Tamayura (kinda...)
Aria the Animation (and other series)
Bottle Fairy
ANYTHING by the World Masterpiece Theater
Emily of New Moon

...and I think that's it.
Umm, these are nothing like what I'm looking for.....
Old 2010-09-15, 04:10   Link #18
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

Quote:
Umm, these are nothing like what I'm looking for...
These, or at least Aria (one of the best series ever), are what is called slice-of-life. But if you liked Ah! My Goddess! you may like Chobits. I also second Hataraki Man. You may also try watching Sakura Wars OVA 2, which is, despite the title, mostly not about the war, but about the everyday life of theatre actresses.
Old 2010-09-16, 19:02   Link #19
NervZero
RAWR!!!

Send a message via AIM to NervZero
how about college?..
Ai Yori Aoshi
second season Ai Yori Aoshi Enishi
http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/ai...ecommendations

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2010-09-16, 22:28   Link #20
Kazu
Flowing

BECK manga- although the 1/5 of the story there's some school, then the main character drops out to pursue a musical career

P.S. you might not like the art , hopefully you're tolerant and will get over it/used to it
the art does get better later in the books