AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-06-07, 18:31   Link #1
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response (ASMR)

Hello everyone,

I would really love to know if some of you are familiar with the phenomenon ASMR. Maybe somebody has even experienced it themselves. I've had it a number of times ever since I was a child, but only found out recently what it actually is. There appear to be people, however, who aren't prone to experiencing it at all, as is the case with some of my friends.

It's relatively difficult to explain, what ASMR actually is. Science only became aware of it a couple of years ago. The best and most common way to describe it, is that ASMR is basically a sort of tingling sensation in the head, that you have upon feeling very relaxed and when your senses, especially hearing, are stimulated in a specific way. It is similar to the phenomenon of chills running down your spine, but in a positive way and, like I said, in the head/brain. ASMR is a very pleasent sensation and it can help falling asleep quite well. Depending on the person, different sensory stimulation is required to experience it. You can read more on it on Wikipedia.

On Youtube there's a whole community by now, dedicated to creating videos, that are aimed at triggering ASMR, using different but very distinct methods. Whispering seems to be among the most helpful triggers. I would like to show you some examples of my favorite videos:

ASMR Laptop Typing
ASMR Crinkle Bags
Dermatologist Role Play

Do you even know what I'm talking about, or do I sound like a crazy person to you? Have some of you experienced ASMR as well?
Old 2013-06-07, 18:47   Link #2
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Yup, I've had this sensation before, though never heard of it actually being described like this. I also have a very strange opposite sort of reaction to this (very displeasing and I tend to recoil in psuedo-agony) with certain types of fabric/materials, like running a marker over thick paper. Maybe, this too has some sort of related phenomenon behind it? Or maybe I'm just a weirdo.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-08, 07:32   Link #3
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
Hello everyone,

I would really love to know if some of you are familiar with the phenomenon ASMR. Maybe somebody has even experienced it themselves. I've had it a number of times ever since I was a child, but only found out recently what it actually is. There appear to be people, however, who aren't prone to experiencing it at all, as is the case with some of my friends.

It's relatively difficult to explain, what ASMR actually is. Science only became aware of it a couple of years ago. The best and most common way to describe it, is that ASMR is basically a sort of tingling sensation in the head, that you have upon feeling very relaxed and when your senses, especially hearing, are stimulated in a specific way. It is similar to the phenomenon of chills running down your spine, but in a positive way and, like I said, in the head/brain. ASMR is a very pleasent sensation and it can help falling asleep quite well. Depending on the person, different sensory stimulation is required to experience it. You can read more on it on Wikipedia.

On Youtube there's a whole community by now, dedicated to creating videos, that are aimed at triggering ASMR, using different but very distinct methods. Whispering seems to be among the most helpful triggers. I would like to show you some examples of my favorite videos:

ASMR Laptop Typing
ASMR Crinkle Bags
Dermatologist Role Play

Do you even know what I'm talking about, or do I sound like a crazy person to you? Have some of you experienced ASMR as well?
I have, and you don't sound crazy. When my family was in Sri Lanka I was having a lot of trouble sleeping, as I was going through a period of depression & anxiety. I was a kid (am still a kid), so my parents didn't want me to take sleeping tablets, so instead I went and did a course in yoga & meditation. We used to do guided meditation, and I don't know, maybe it was the sounds, maybe it was the mental procedure, maybe it was the yoga & the breathing, maybe it was something of a placebo effect, but I'm somewhat familiar with that pleasant tingling in your head. I thought it was kind of similar to smoking just a little bit of some good dope

Besides, a lot of people I know, (and I'm sure people everyone knows), go to sleep easier if they leave something on at night before they sleep, for example, one of the guys I was living with used to leave Ricky Gervais podcasts on at night to help himself sleep, to my chagrin. Still, I read the wikipedia page and I have to wonder if the concept itself is an amalgam of different (perhaps) slightly related mental phenomenon that make people more comfortable. For example, maybe everyone experiences this, but the way we each experience it is different. Coupled with the fact that different people have different triggers, I can see why some of the medical community is a little skeptical.

Our family used to have an old, tiny 800cc suzuki car that used to whir and hum on the road, and the slight vibration and noise would always let me sleep really easily as a kid. OTOH in extremely smooth moving rides I found it a little more difficult to get comfortable and sleep. I wonder if that's a related phenomenon, or if I was just used to riding in that car.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-08, 08:11   Link #4
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

I actually thought this is quite a common experience...
Old 2013-06-08, 18:08   Link #5
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I used to get ASMR really powerfully from certain songs. For some reason it's kinda gone away, but I still get it occasionally from soft, lilting voices.
Old 2013-06-08, 18:29   Link #6
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I get that from looking at cute lolis, like that one in my avatar.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-08, 19:31   Link #7
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I used to get ASMR really powerfully from certain songs. For some reason it's kinda gone away, but I still get it occasionally from soft, lilting voices.
I've experienced this before from certain things, and I know I've experienced it more than once from three anime OP songs (experienced it more than once per song). It was the full song for them on my iPod.

Another time this happened (one of the times I remember it happening) was back in 2002 or so. Back around then I was working as a cashier at the front counter of the lobby of a fast food restaurant. This bus came into the parking lot, and then all these teenage girls with British accents came pouring in (they were probably 16, 17, and 18). So I am taking their orders and there are many of them, and very soon into this, these young woman with their soft, pleasant voices and British accents, I mean, holy moly, I had ASMR the whole time this is going on and I'm punching in orders and I'm all warm and fuzzy and I have a slight dopey smile on my face and I was like "Wow, this is Zen-like!".
Old 2013-06-09, 02:09   Link #8
HasuMasu
*Artist

I've never experienced this.
HasuMasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-09, 03:09   Link #9
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I get that from looking at cute lolis, like that one in my avatar.
Who is the loli in your avatar? What anime is she from?
Old 2013-06-09, 06:00   Link #10
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Great to hear that it works for some people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I also have a very strange opposite sort of reaction to this (very displeasing and I tend to recoil in psuedo-agony) with certain types of fabric/materials, like running a marker over thick paper. Maybe, this too has some sort of related phenomenon behind it? Or maybe I'm just a weirdo.
I think this is more related to the goosebumps phenomenon. I even get it by merely touching certain surfaces. It could very well be the case that it's closely related to ASMR, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7
these young woman with their soft, pleasant voices and British accents, I mean, holy moly, I had ASMR the whole time this is going on and I'm punching in orders and I'm all warm and fuzzy and I have a slight dopey smile on my face and I was like "Wow, this is Zen-like!".
Lol yeah, I've heard that for some people it can even be trance-like, as if they were high on marihuana or something. For me personally it was never that strong, though. I think cases like these are exceptionally rare.
Old 2013-06-09, 12:53   Link #11
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Who is the loli in your avatar? What anime is she from?
It's Kana from Haganai.
Old 2013-06-09, 13:12   Link #12
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

I have a feeling this has happened, but I'm having trouble "defining" it. All I think of is an "euphoric" mental feeling, mostly due to certain music. Any other examples or thorough explanations?

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-09, 15:16   Link #13
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernFallout View Post
I have a feeling this has happened, but I'm having trouble "defining" it. All I think of is an "euphoric" mental feeling, mostly due to certain music. Any other examples or thorough explanations?
Defining it is exactly where the problem lies. Just imagine a tickle, but in the brain. Or maybe somebody gently stroking your scalp.
Old 2013-06-10, 01:17   Link #14
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

BTW, anyone here suffers from fear/stress induced exploding head syndrome?

Been having it for over two months now...
Old 2013-06-10, 01:21   Link #15
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
Lol yeah, I've heard that for some people it can even be trance-like, as if they were high on marihuana or something. For me personally it was never that strong, though. I think cases like these are exceptionally rare.
It was definitely the longest lasting instance of ASMR I ever had, by far.
Old 2013-06-10, 04:04   Link #16
Shay
Monarch Programmer

I get the exact opposite. Sometime (usually in bed at night) I experience a very unpleasant BUZZ in my head. Almost like a bee has just buzzed in my brain. It is very strange and I do not like it at all!
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-08, 11:25   Link #17
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Hey, just to maybe get this conversation rolling again with a couple of new people: I just recently found out, that the guys from Good Mythical Morning did an episode on ASMR about a year ago. If you are interested the phenomenon, I guess this is a good and entertaining way to learn something about it:

Old 2019-03-24, 10:48   Link #18
LandonCampbell54

There's a lot of good ones. I like the talking ones best.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
LandonCampbell54 is offline   Reply With Quote