AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 07
10: Amazing... 2 3.85%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 0 0%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 6 11.54%
7 out of 10: Good... 15 28.85%
6 out of 10: Average... 12 23.08%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 10 19.23%
4 out of 10: Poor... 3 5.77%
3 out of 10: Bad... 2 3.85%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 1 1.92%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 1 1.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-11-20, 07:09   Link #21
bio9205
Reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by casval cehack View Post
The Age-1's spoiler finally had a purpose.
And that might be...?

I think it was kind of expected that Flit would unite Zalam and Euba (well, sort of) to face a common threat.
bio9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 07:19   Link #22
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

IF there is one thing I feel AGE is doing superbly, it's the designs of the weapons for the mobile suits. All those Zaku MS have great looking weapons.

I fucking love heat sabers.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 07:34   Link #23
casval cehack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bio9205 View Post
And that might be...?
Trim controls when AGE-1 runs extremely fast.
Old 2011-11-20, 08:25   Link #24
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by casval cehack View Post
Trim controls when AGE-1 runs extremely fast.
Which was silly to begin with, why would he run with the thing when it can fly inside the colony? not to mention the animation when the AGE starts to run is silly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciel View Post
Have been trying hard to like this series but my opinion of it has gone massively downhill since episode 2/3. This episode was no exception.

Once again we have the red haired kid (whose name i can't remember) sneaking off and following Emily and Vargas. You would think her father would keep a closer eye on her RIGHT AFTER she is saved. Also, and they are joined by.........more annoying kids who decide it would be fun to go protest against one of the two superpowers of the colony.

I massively facepalmed at Flit's conversation with the Don and the Euba pilot. He says something like "Why are you guys still fighting? You guys live in the same colony!" or something close to that, and somehow or rather it is able to make them show the "OH!!!!! I FINALLY UNDERSTAND" face and stop fighting. They even work together to fight against the UE after this .

Another major issue i have with this episode terrible plot notwithstanding is that everything seems to be too convenient(?). Not sure how to phrase it but the timing of everything is just screwed up. Its not just one sequence of events, its numerous in a row.

Spoiler for spoils:

Then to sum it all up, IMO one of the worst designs ever for a Gundam (Titus is a gundam for wrestling? lol . How are you supposed to minimize damage to the colony when your tackles are going to send the UE flying into buildings/ smash buildings anyways) appears right at the end. At least we get to see Wolff(?) in the G-Exes next week.

5/10 .
Fully agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningZERO View Post
I give this episode a 7, and it's mainly for Titus' debut.

I like Flit's conversation with the Zalam guy and how he is at odds with himself, and what is he planning to do with the Gundam. I definitely understand where Flit's coming from, his disbelief at those two factions at war with each other with no apparent reasons. But then, when the UE attacks, suddenly the two factions go "You go ahead! We will cover for you!", which is really ridiculous.

I literally facepalmed when Riria follows Vargas and Emily, and then more kids jump in for their little demonstration. I almost fainted when I heard Grodeck is going back to Diva with those kids on board...Please no. I understand that the show is slightly more kid oriented and I can accept it, but the show seems like pushing it every episode.

Oh well. I hope next week will be a great improvement, hopefully with Titus ownage and G-Exes in actions
Flit's conversation with them was cheesy, then again their entire " rivalry " was set up so they can " bond together " and fight the UE, that entire part of the plot was just plain out bad.

the Titus showing up and punching the UE into a house was pretty silly aswell and it felt too rushed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist_Classic View Post
A decent episode which moved a few important things forward:

1. Possible formation of an anti-UE coalition
2. Gundam's evolution
3. Grudek and Flit's relationship (which Flit is somewhat hesitant to accept)

Flit's speech might seem hokey, but he's onto something big here: by convincing the two rival camps to stop their petty fighting, they can combine their forces to face the common enemy. Of course, the UE helpfully stepped in to reinforce that need for change.

Having the slum kids in this episode was actually quite good. The kids from the colony slums aren't ignorant of the stupidity going around them, and having experienced the UE's power up close and personal, they'll most likely grow up and be the ones that actually do something about this enemy.
Anti-UE coalition? the entire federation is one, what can possibly two fractions in subpar mobile suits from one colony do against the UE?

regarding the kids, they arent being smart, if anything they are ignorant " let's tag along and protest against one of the two fractions playing war inside the colony, fuck the system! "

giving this episode a 2/10, why?

Pro's:

The Titus showed up, and even that was rushed so badly it didnt make sense

The Captain was actually a bro in this episode.

The food was animated nicely.

Con's:

Felt like the entire episode was a filler, atleast thats better than a recap episode

The fight between the two colony fractions just felt silly, and the way it was resolved feels rushed aswell.

Hyper-speed from when vargas launched > AGE system found a way to deal with the UE > AGE was equipped/turned into? Titus > returning from the Diva within a minute? or so?

The running AGE.
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 08:30   Link #25
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znozzy View Post
Which was silly to begin with, why would he run with the thing when it can fly inside the colony? not to mention the animation when the AGE starts to run is silly
Who says the Gundam can fly inside the colony? Its never been shown that it could.

Even in Ep 2 when it was trying to reach the port, it was walking, not flying.

I believe the only MSs that can fly so far are the UE. That also sort of explains why the battles between the Euba and the Zalam are so... grounded.
Old 2011-11-20, 08:35   Link #26
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Who says the Gundam can fly inside the colony? Its never been shown that it could.

Even in Ep 2 when it was trying to reach the port, it was walking, not flying.
the Titus entrance?
Old 2011-11-20, 08:38   Link #27
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
the Titus entrance?
Titus can probably perform high jumps due to its upgrades, but where's the part where Normal can do the same?
Old 2011-11-20, 08:48   Link #28
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Titus can probably perform high jumps due to its upgrades, but where's the part where Normal can do the same?
taking from wiki:

AGE-1 Normal type weight is 43.4 Tons.

AGE-1 Titus type weight is 62.5 tons

why would the Titus be able to jump while the Normal type wouldn't? theres a increase of 20~ tons, and no increase in thrusters?
Old 2011-11-20, 09:00   Link #29
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
taking from wiki:

AGE-1 Normal type weight is 43.4 Tons.

AGE-1 Titus type weight is 62.5 tons

why would the Titus be able to jump while the Normal type wouldn't? theres a increase of 20~ tons, and no increase in thrusters?
More powerful legs? Who knows.

But Normal has been walking and running, and have yet to jump higher than a few feet if you watch all of its battles so far. So why assume that it could fly?
Old 2011-11-20, 09:02   Link #30
Realist_Classic
Casual prosumer of anime

Quote:
Anti-UE coalition? the entire federation is one, what can possibly two fractions in subpar mobile suits from one colony do against the UE?
The current Federation is ineffectual. Maybe that will change in the future, but to get there, the story will need proactive actors. Them being in subpar mobile suits is an easy setup for the bigger story, since it's expected that new suits will be developed and that they will evolve into an effective force.

Quote:
regarding the kids, they arent being smart, if anything they are ignorant " let's tag along and protest against one of the two fractions playing war inside the colony, fuck the system! "
Kids will be kids, but their views are probably what most inhabitants of the colony think.
Realist_Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 09:06   Link #31
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Seeing how the show still uses O'neill type colonies, there should be zero gravity in the middle, hence, a booster-powered jump should launch the MS far enough from the ground to make it able to sustain flight until it reaches the zero-gravity area.

the reason it's been walking sofar? conserving fuel? running is cooler than using logic? i dunno.

the show just feels inconsistent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist_Classic View Post
The current Federation is ineffectual. Maybe that will change in the future, but to get there, the story will need proactive actors. Them being in subpar mobile suits is an easy setup for the bigger story, since it's expected that new suits will be developed and that they will evolve into an effective force.

Kids will be kids, but their views are probably what most inhabitants of the colony think.
Oh, of course kids will be kids, it just feels silly that the colonies adults would listen to kids who are 4-8? years old.

The Federation in AGE seems to be a tad bit ignorant, etc. i'll give you that, but to have an entire coalition or alliance sproud out from Flit using the word " nakama " just feels silly, imo.
Old 2011-11-20, 09:19   Link #32
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Seeing how the show still uses O'neill type colonies, there should be zero gravity in the middle, hence, a booster-powered jump should launch the MS far enough from the ground to make it able to sustain flight until it reaches the zero-gravity area.
I know that's how other Gundam shows deal with it, but that might not be how the physics of this show works. or the thrust to get the suit to the middle of the colony might just not be there. Like I said, AGE-1 has yet to jump higher than a couple of feet before the Titus show up, which as far as we know could just be a flashy entrance and not really evidence of flight or what not.

Its like beam sabers in water - some Gundam shows might depict it logically, others might not. Gotta take the universe into consideration.

Quote:
the reason it's been walking sofar? conserving fuel? running is cooler than using logic? i dunno.

the show just feels inconsistent
Again, until we actually see it, we can't assume that it can fly.

Quote:
The Federation in AGE seems to be a tad bit ignorant, etc. i'll give you that, but to have an entire coalition or alliance sproud out from Flit using the word " nakama " just feels silly, imo.
It definitely felt like a Rey Za Burrel moment there.
Old 2011-11-20, 09:32   Link #33
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

The episode was kind of plain. Kind of just wraps up most of the loose ends on this station, which is okey. I like that they moved the Grutek / Flint relationship and put Flint in the know.

Spoiler for preview:
Old 2011-11-20, 09:48   Link #34
Realist_Classic
Casual prosumer of anime

Quote:
Oh, of course kids will be kids, it just feels silly that the colonies adults would listen to kids who are 4-8? years old.

Seeing that Don Voyage was dismissive of them and wanted to simply scare them off, it seems to confirm that the adults are really not taking them seriously. However, we, as the audience, know that the kids are right.

Actually, I don't think the new coalition will form just because Flit said so. Even despite his pleas, throughout the episode, we see banners and standards being waved--all signs that old ways of thinking are hard to break out of. If the coalition forms, it's more likely as a response to the offscreen carnage of having 90% of their MS forces decimated. I suppose we'll see how that works out next episode.

There's another check on the silliness. That scene in which we see Flit's hesitation in accepting Grudek's offer to ally up, because he (and the audience) instinctively knows that using Gundam for the purpose of personal revenge might not be what Flit ultimately wants. I think a less thoughtful show wouldn't have included this scene.
Realist_Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 09:49   Link #35
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Quote:
I know that's how other Gundam shows deal with it, but that might not be how the physics of this show works. or the thrust to get the suit to the middle of the colony might just not be there. Like I said, AGE-1 has yet to jump higher than a couple of feet before the Titus show up, which as far as we know could just be a flashy entrance and not really evidence of flight or what not.

Its like beam sabers in water - some Gundam shows might depict it logically, others might not. Gotta take the universe into consideration.

Again, until we actually see it, we can't assume that it can fly.

It definitely felt like a Rey Za Burrel moment there.
Rey Za Burrel moment? made me giggle, and yeah.

True, until further evidence is presented regarding to if the AGE can fly or not, i assume your right, but if the Titus can fly/jump really high and the Normal type can't, its just stupid.

then again this show IS aimed for a younger audience, but what i liked about previous gundam shows is that for the most part, things are somewhat logical
Old 2011-11-20, 12:57   Link #36
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Alright Largan makes his comeback. Too bad the genoace can't do anything. Oh man they stopped it right when Titus appeared. Lol at Zalam and Euba chanting while in mobile suits.
Old 2011-11-20, 13:43   Link #37
StrikeFreedomV2
Super Striker

This episode was definitely a step-up from last week in my eyes. Even though it had some silly moments, like the MS chanting, I really enjoyed it. The scene where the Gundam starts running reminds of the scenes from Turn A and Evangelion. Looked pretty spectacluar IMO And Titus's entry was epic. FALCON PUNCH!!! I give it an 8 overall. Can't wait for next week!
StrikeFreedomV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 13:46   Link #38
ReddyRedWolf

I do wonder if this will cause the colonies to loose confidence on the Federation protecting them and reignite the old alliances to counter the UE threat.

That means essentially scrapping the Silver Chalice Treaty.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 14:26   Link #39
TypeR
Fate X Destiny

This ep is either a big LOL from me or a big /facepalm. Emily is getting really annoying and how naive is a lot of people in this anime. The UE should just kill off some characters here
Old 2011-11-20, 15:01   Link #40
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeR View Post
This ep is either a big LOL from me or a big /facepalm. Emily is getting really annoying and how naive is a lot of people in this anime. The UE should just kill off some characters here
They did... along with a whole space station.

Tags
weekly episode discussion