AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Another

Notices

Old 2012-01-17, 13:02   Link #341
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
Episode 2 was a little better but im annoyed by how the students keep dancing around about telling Kouichi what the situation is. Doing that for the sake keeping you guessing in these particular instance annoys the hell out of me. These episodes looks like they will be slow paced threw out to build it up. The cliffhanger got me wonder wtf is under that eyepatch.lol. Probably a bunch of maggots.

Overall, decent episode. Not as high on this as i initially felt threw the preview but im hoping it gets better. Episode was a little more creepy than the first at least.
It's no coincidence. Every time someone is about to tell him more something interrupts - Mei walking by and luring him away, static on the line and the call drops, etc.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 16:29   Link #342
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost My Music View Post
I think this show tries too hard to be scary, but I'm loving it.

The creepy background music is great, so best to watch with headphones on because:
Creepy background music is nice, but there was one scene where they extended some... "screeching"? for so long, it turned from scary to just annoying though.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 18:10   Link #343
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

The entire scene where Kouichi was in the hospital with Sanae, I kept bracing myself that something was going to happen because of the creepy music and the constant angles being changed as if it was anticipating something. I have a bad feeling Sanae is in trouble, especially since her phone cut off halfway through the conversation she was having with Kouichi on the phone.

And that damn elevator! Stop looking so creepy!

Oh, and i'm going to classify Kouichi as a stalker now

Lastly...curse that cliffhanger, I wanted to see what was behind her eyepatch...perhaps it's her other eye
Old 2012-01-17, 18:40   Link #344
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I bet Kyuubey's under there.
Old 2012-01-17, 18:46   Link #345
TJR

I can safely say that I dislike Tsutomu Mizushima's direction.

There are attempts to build mood via sound and music. However, the visuals can't keep up, and the staging is so pedestrian (with certain shots lingering for too long, making episodes seem slower than they really are) that any sense of tension is lost on me.

It's the same problem I had with xxxHOLiC and Blood-C.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 19:14   Link #346
warita
Dai-Youkai

I must say that I am more curious than spooked by the atmosphere. For me it isnt scary at all...
warita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 19:14   Link #347
PzIVf3

She has no indication sign of any hesitation to shown her left eye that means her color pupil eye is different. Now what could that color be? Could be blue cuz red and blue color is a perfect partners.
PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 19:19   Link #348
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PzIVf3 View Post

Yeah its possible a different eye color pupil.
or a

hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 19:19   Link #349
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I bet Kyuubey's under there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
I can safely say that I dislike Tsutomu Mizushima's direction.

There are attempts to build mood via sound and music. However, the visuals can't keep up, and the staging is so pedestrian (with certain shots lingering for too long, making episodes seem slower than they really are) that any sense of tension is lost on me....
Hmm ... while I personally would not go so far as you are describing I do agree in a very general sense, but one that is kinda hard to put in words. Let's see....

It's obvious that Another is very carefully, deliberately and well done. The use of all the elements to create atmosphere approaches brilliance imo.

But there is something about the overall presentation that somehow continually reminds me "I am watching a suspense series that is deliberately creating a strong sense of mood in an artistic way on many different levels of the senses" as opposed to being drawn into the story itself and only later "coming up for air" and realizing "wow - that was a great episode". Admittedly I had less of this experience in Ep 1 than in Ep 2.

So I guess I can say that it is not "working" for me personally, although I know it is a very carefully crafted work. In some ways it reminds me a little bit of some of the very general reactions I had to Mawaru Penguin Drum, come to think of it.

Well, anyway, I give ep 2 a 7/10 vote. I will keep giving it a try for now....
Old 2012-01-17, 19:27   Link #350
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Licensed by Sentai Filmworks...
Old 2012-01-17, 19:48   Link #351
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
or a

Ingenious!
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 20:59   Link #352
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

I will have to concur with whomever said that the music direction is one of the most riveting things about this series. It's creepy when it needs to be, and it helps set the many moods this episode has.

The sudden gust of wind after Kouichi went to talk to Mei again at the beginning of the episode was a very nice touch, and the transition to the OP was better handled this week(although the OP has some sounds or instruments that just don't work).

I loved the "Lemon Scream" scene as it was a good breather sequence. It was also good to hear Munch referenced. It was also funny when one of the students tried to pull artistic license with his painting of an apple with legs, and then the teacher shot that down.

The appearance of the megane wearing librarian guy was quite interesting. I would like to see more of him.

I also liked the reference to John Saul. "The Blackstone Chronicles" is a great series(although I don't know if that in particular was what the nurse liked). The elevator is also very creepy, and this is the second episode to highlight it so I know we're getting subtle foreshadowing of some sort.

Up until Kouichi followed Mei to the doll shop, I wasn't really creeped out by much in this episode, merely curious as to what his classmates are still not telling him although it is helpful to know that the entire Class 3 is cursed. Now everything in the doll shop was really unnerving, and you wonder how he wouldn't be a little frightened of going into places that just scream "horror novel". I suppose I can forgive him since he doesn't yet know what he is dealing with yet.

I give this episode a strong 9/10, and I am eagarly looking forward to next week's episode.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 21:03   Link #353
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Licensed by Sentai Filmworks...
That was fast.

Watched Episode 2, while playing several of 30 Seconds to Mars' tracks from A Beautiful Lie. I'm enjoying the suspense, especially the ending scene got me going up to the edge of my seat.
Old 2012-01-17, 21:11   Link #354
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Maybe a hole ? like if a bullet killed her.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 21:48   Link #355
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
I'm really enjoying this so far. Bit I just want to know! I think I may have been spoiled by reading the synopsis already... >.>

I wish they would have a few more camera angles. I think that also would help with the tension. I do enjoy the pacing and music I just find the visuals aren't as striking when the move to scenes. The art is fine it is just the angles I have issues with. TJR also mentioned similar thoughts.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 22:37   Link #356
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Blue Print

I believe the best is to watch this show at night and with all lights turned off, because in that way you can feel ensnared by the creepy atmosphere surrounding the whole town, specially when the ominous music plays to summon those feelings of dread and spookiness.

Mind to comment....
Spoiler:

I got to agree with someone's else post that the show looks like focusing on Keiichi getting more and more involved with Misaki to a possible point of obsession, than Kouichi getting consciously awared of all the paranoia and introvertedness he gets from his classmates at school. Moreso, when he or somebody else raises deliberately or by accident the topic about Misaki.

If you want my opinion, the soundtrack owns the entire series.

And to finish, whatever Misaki is hiding beneath that eyepatch has to be creepy or nasty not in the conventional sense, but I daresay in a demented context.

Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 23:16   Link #357
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post

Spoiler:
Spoiler for On the other hand...:
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 23:28   Link #358
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post

Spoiler:
But she has a reflection.
Old 2012-01-17, 23:33   Link #359
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Spoiler for On the other hand...:
I feel like getting scolded for speaking without thinking :laughs:

Pretty much this series is virtually new to me, and I would read the novels if I knew how to read Japanese or something else.

For the record, is anyone acquainted with the novel without leaving spoilers?
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 23:54   Link #360
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I don't think I've seen an anime capture that nicely slow-burning Mystery/Horror feel as well as Another does. It has truly captured that to perfection.

The music is definitely the highlight here, although it can sometimes be just a touch overdone. But better overdone than underdone for a Mystery/Horror, because this way ensures that fans of that genre aren't likely to get bored.

Episode 2 provided just enough hints to what is really going on beneath the surface in order to maintain viewer intrigue. The narrative is carefully doling out pieces of the puzzle at a sure and steady pace, never enough to overwhelm, never enough to play all its best cards too soon, but always enough to satiate the desire for more.

A lot of anime shows could take tips from Another on how best to gradually pull back the curtain.

9/10 for Episode 2.

Tags
horror, seinen