AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-11-05, 20:34   Link #1
animan430

Initial D

Now this is a great anime. Yes, I do know that the character designs look like crap, but the story, cars, racing, drifts, and development blow this one off the charts. The manga is also amazing as well but the anime just brings it to life. I must say though that TokyoPop did a really bad job at dubbing it. Well it isn't unbarable but still sucks. They even redid the opening theme! The rythem is lovable but the lyrics to the song kinda kill it. Then again there is always subbed.
Old 2003-11-05, 20:45   Link #2
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

What tokyopop did was try to aim it for a slightly different audience, however they couldn't get it on TV and had already paid for it to be dubbed that way

Think of it this way, you get a crap dub for cheap pricing (and besides, wonderful thing about DVDs is that you DONT have to watch the dub)
Old 2003-11-05, 20:48   Link #3
LynnieS

I have to say that I didn't even bother watching more than a minute of the dubbed track. Just stopped the player and switched over to the sub as quickly as I can. The characters are drawn, IMHO, horribly, but the driving scenes, like those in the manga, are done well. I'm waiting for the third volume now...

It'd be nice, though, if TkPop puts more episodes onto the discs; three each aren't enough, and the way the first disc ended... Made me run out and buy the second disc the next day, which is probably the reason they packaged it!
Old 2003-11-07, 14:15   Link #4
kuma133
Cute: Yes / Deadly: Yes

Ok, I have to say that what TokyoPop tried to do with the dubbed versions is just painful to watch!

I'm thankful I got my unaltered japanese version on the DVDs.

Quote:
the way the first disc ended... Made me run out and buy the second disc the next day, which is probably the reason they packaged it!
Initial-D is a classic cliff-hanger series! Almost every episode ends in a cliff-hanger! It wouldn't matter if they put 3, 4 or even 5 eps per disc. Plus the race story-arcs are diffenent lengths. This is one series that is hard to stop watching once you're hooked! So as much as I like to blame TokyoPop for everything, I can't pin this one on them.
Old 2003-11-08, 07:50   Link #5
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Since I won't watch it dubbed, I don't mind it. What I do mind is the 2nd video stream for the tricked out version taking up space that could be better used for more episodes. Though I can't complain too much because they're only 20 bucks instead of the usual 30.
Old 2003-11-09, 01:29   Link #6
animan430

I don't know were you buy yours but I can get them for 14$ at BestBuy
Old 2003-11-09, 10:26   Link #7
Gaara11
~ Got Love? ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by animan430
I don't know were you buy yours but I can get them for 14$ at BestBuy
I bought mine at DeepDiscountDVD.com for only $12 w/ free shipping.

This anime is indeed awesome. For a car tweaker like me it's a must buy but still I can't drift though.
Old 2003-11-09, 20:05   Link #8
tcov

The retail for the discs are $19.99 each. I think it's great that they put 3 episodes on it with that kind of price (growls at Viz). It allows room for a higher bitrate for each episode. Unfortunately, the content in it is not original. It was altered. They took out scenes that would make it cautionary for young'ns to watch *prostitution*
Old 2003-11-14, 04:27   Link #9
Kamui4356
Aria Company

I got them at an anime convention for 15 each, no tax. They had volume 1 and 2 even though it was a few weeks before 2 was supposed to be released. I was refering to the msrp, which like tcov mentioned is 19.99. Also the dvds have 6 seperate episodes. 1-3 uneditted and 1-3 edited with crappy effects put in in the race scenes. There are 2 seperate video streams. The subs have the original names and while they change the wording in the subs in certain scenes, they don't cut them.
Old 2004-02-29, 08:37   Link #10
ZeroKun

Initial D

How are the Initial D DVDs? I was thinking about getting the first dvd, but I want to know if its worth it.
Old 2004-02-29, 10:13   Link #11
vio5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroKun
How are the Initial D DVDs? I was thinking about getting the first dvd, but I want to know if its worth it.
Its worth it, but you should watch the show in japanese because the eurobeat tracks were removed in the dub and replaced with crappy music. I'm enjoying it though, finally get to see initial d on my big screen tv as opposed to the 320 by 240 original fansubs.
Old 2004-02-29, 10:42   Link #12
ZeroKun

dont worry, im almost done with stage one . Is there a japanese track cause im not buying it if its only dubbed?
Old 2004-02-29, 11:20   Link #13
vio5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroKun
dont worry, im almost done with stage one . Is there a japanese track cause im not buying it if its only dubbed?
the japanese track is on the dvds
Old 2004-04-28, 15:37   Link #14
husyk
Stupid Flanders! (Homer)

Send a message via MSN to husyk Send a message via Yahoo to husyk
Order of Initial D?

I want to start watching Initial D, not exactly sure what the order is. Is it 1st Stage, 2nd Stage, 3rd Stage, Battle Stage, then 4th Stage? Just want to make sure to watch in proper order, or should I have posted this in the licensed board?
Old 2004-04-28, 15:54   Link #15
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by husyk
I want to start watching Initial D, not exactly sure what the order is. Is it 1st Stage, 2nd Stage, 3rd Stage, Battle Stage, then 4th Stage? Just want to make sure to watch in proper order, or should I have posted this in the licensed board?
I watched/am watching it in this order:

1st Stage -> 2nd Stage -> 3rd Stage -> Movie -> Battle Stage -> 4th Stage.
Old 2004-04-28, 16:06   Link #16
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

1st Stage, 2nd Stage, Extra Stage, 3rd Stage, Battle Stage, 4th Stage
Old 2004-04-29, 04:56   Link #17
phyeap86
Gambit^86

Quote:
Originally Posted by husyk
May i know where can i d/l the 1st 3 stages of initial d?
Old 2004-04-29, 05:01   Link #18
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

No. You may not.

Since it is licensed I would recommend that you buy the DVDs. Read the The "Where do I buy..." Thread for more details about where to buy them.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-05-02, 22:52   Link #19
husyk
Stupid Flanders! (Homer)

Send a message via MSN to husyk Send a message via Yahoo to husyk
I'll buy from my local Suncoast store, thank you for your posts.
Old 2004-05-03, 08:17   Link #20
Teh Roman Helmet
Anime-Blitz encoder

Send a message via AIM to Teh Roman Helmet
I would'nt recommend buying the Tokyo Pop dvds. I usually am against downloading licenced anime, but in this case, TP edited the episodes of Initial D. I am really against this. Also, in the english dub they completely changed the music. IMO, the music was amazing as it was, there was no reason to change it at all. I would recommend looking for HK bootlegs, or downloads, but as this forum doesn't allow talk of where to find that kind of stuff, I won't give any links.
Closed Thread