AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa Movie Rating
Perfect 10 40 42.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 34.74%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 12.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-04-11, 17:41   Link #1961
Lancel

Did we just seriously have an in-depth discussion on Alto's handedness? You realize the next argument will be that he could be ambidextrous.
Old 2011-04-11, 21:39   Link #1962
justavisitor

man, you guys are too slow for this about Alto's handedness.....I actually raised the same issue in my very first post in animesuki....I even capped the pic where Alto was extending his right hand and Ranka happened to be on the "correct" side and that was about 3 years ago...

I did it for fun at that time, and I never thought ppl would still debate this after more than 2 years....

Edit: I hate to quote my post...but here is my first post...so nostalgic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
Hi all, first post (can't believe i register just for this)

Well, first i have to say that i favour Ranka more than Sheryl, so Sheryl fans...try ignore my first post plz

To all those symbolism, I have a counter example for Ranka Fans:

Spoiler for not for sheryl fans:

Rewatch that scene again and have a sweet dream, Ranka Fans!!!
once again, you guys are are so slow...
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet

Last edited by justavisitor; 2011-04-11 at 21:56.
Old 2011-04-11, 21:49   Link #1963
Thess

LOLOL.

Speaking of hands... Ranka raised the "wrong hand" (the left one). Does it mean she's not interested after all?

/cue to conspiracy music.

I mean, if that's all the "proof" anyone shows me as "romantic" is hilariously weak. (I'll laugh if Sheryl fans would say the same, btw, with Sheryl on the other side).

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2011-04-11, 21:55   Link #1964
justavisitor

I remember at that time, symbolisms are everywhere, how Alto waves his hand, how the robot moves, the direction of Alto's hair is pointing toward Sheryl (ok, I made the last one up XD)...so I couldn't resist and and I actually registered to counter those "symbolisms" XD

And that's why my name was justavisitor....I intended to make that one post only....and then i got dragged into the eternal shipping war....

P.S Thess, you got it...i remember a Sheryl fan really said that Sheryl extends the "correct" hand......3 years ago...
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2011-04-11, 21:58   Link #1965
AlphaDragoon
Flame of the Dragonslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
man, you guys are too slow for this about Alto's handedness.....I actually raised the same issue in my very first post in animesuki....I even capped the pic where Alto was extending his right hand and Ranka happened to be on the "correct" side and that was about 3 years ago...

I did it for fun at that time, and I never thought ppl would still debate this after more than 2 years....

Edit: I hate to quote my post...but here is my first post...so nostalgic....

once again, you are are so slow...
ROFL, really? If Ranka fans trying to argue the relevance of that scene wanna get technical (re-read your post, so I know that doesn't seem to be you)...if Alto was reaching for someone's hand, he'd be reaching for Sheryl's.

When you shake hands, you hold out your hand (preferably the right in business, but whichever), and the other person holds out the same hand, because you wouldn't be able to clasp it otherwise. You'd grab the back of their hand and it's be all weird if you offered say, your right hand and the other offered their left.

So, what does that all mean? Alto reached out with the right hand. Ranka has her left hand up. Sheryl has her right hand up.

Do the math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
I mean, if that's all the "proof" anyone shows me as "romantic" is hilariously weak. (I'll laugh if Sheryl fans would say the same, btw, with Sheryl on the other side).
Yes, it's hilarious that people are looking for "symbolism" in everything even of the Sheryl loving side. The only thing that really matters is well, the movie ending. That said it all without all the secret cryptic "National Treasure" stuff.
Old 2011-04-11, 22:01   Link #1966
justavisitor

@AlphaDragoon

I swear that when I edited my previous post, I didn't see your post at all...but if my memory serves me right, 3 years ago a sheryl fan at that time raised the same issue about "correct" hand from Sheryl

lol, this is a perfect proof that this forum has been going nowhere for 3 years...

Last edited by justavisitor; 2011-04-11 at 22:19.
Old 2011-04-11, 23:26   Link #1967
kujoe
from head to heel

Jesus Christ. One would think after the whole end of triangle bit, this would all be in the past by now.
Old 2011-04-11, 23:52   Link #1968
kujoe
from head to heel

I'm sorry, but does that even matter?

It's one thing to discuss the story and characters, but to be so anal about details as trivial as that is just ridiculous to the point of obssession.

...or practically beating a dead horse.

Take your pick.
Old 2011-04-12, 00:47   Link #1969
inyang86

Right ear, thank you very much.
Old 2011-04-12, 03:37   Link #1970
Thess

Are we really having a debate about the hands? I mean seriously... seriously?

Spoiler for end argument + size:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
Another thing I noticed was that Alto always wears Sheryl's earring on the left ear, not the right. And I know get that you mention he's "right handed" but there is no excuse to put it on his weaker hand. He should wear it on his right ear to give the symbol that she's his reason for strength. Instead, he wears it on the left one.
Hand =/= ear...

Anyway, the earring is just Sheryl-based and was purposefully given to upgrade/speed up (due to time constrains) the relationship...

Spoiler for size:

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2011-04-12 at 11:53. Reason: Changed image to link since it is too big (and imageshack didn't provide a thumbnail link)
Old 2011-04-12, 03:41   Link #1971
Father Hentai

They should have made Alto a girl from the beginning.
Old 2011-04-12, 03:42   Link #1972
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
They should have made Alto a girl from the beginning.
+1

Quoted for Truth.

And Sheryl should have been the center of the triangle. Most of the official art is her with Alto or her with Ranka (when isn't the three together, anyway).

Old 2011-04-12, 05:13   Link #1973
Father Hentai

Following the picture I'd say Alto is playing with them.

Alto: Grab my Hands, you are my wings!
Sheryl: Alto!!!! Grab me!!!
Ranka: Grab me!!!
Alto turns on the thrusters!
Ranka/Sheryl: WTF?
Alto: Sorry, I changed my decision. My wings belongs to the sky!

Yes, I am evil again...
Old 2011-04-12, 05:14   Link #1974
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Quote:
And for that, AruRan - for me - will forever sail.
That's nice. If canon is against you, fanon will always be there for ye guys.
Old 2011-04-12, 07:22   Link #1975
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Once more:
Quote:
During the first movie, there's a question about whether Alto can fall for Sheryl Sheryl can fall for Alto to that extent just from being saved by him on their first meeting. If they'd met in the past, perhaps there's a bigger impression left in both their hearts (than what Ranka might think).
That is from the interview that karice67 translated.

Do you see now? Otherwise, Ranka would've won. So Sheryl won in the most stupid and idiotic way: creating a past that, in the series, never existed. In that manner of speaking, you got your asses kicked. Because if that memory didn't exist, realize that Ranka would've won in the movie.

I know that sounded a little rude, the "got your asses kicked" part, but I'm also having a lot of pain in my head. Have to go to get an MRI done now... pain... /leaves/
On the contrary, I would say it says NOTHING about the series, because there was a lot more time for relationship development over the 25 episodes than in the two movies.

Please don't misuse my translation - I've written clearly on it that Kawamori was referring to the 1st movie (according to the person who posted the interview summary), NOT the series, for that particular comment.

Good luck with your scan.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2011-11-17 at 09:33. Reason: translation fail back in April...
Old 2011-04-12, 07:22   Link #1976
ShinyBunny

Ranka never would have won the movie or series regardless. Even you admitted a few posts above the triangle was never fair to her. Most people could see the Sheryl end a mile away. It's fine to love a couple, but the denial thing isn't cute anymore.

I also don't think that is what karice67's translation means.
Old 2011-04-12, 09:15   Link #1977
Lancel

Quote:
creating a past that, in the series, never existed
Uhh, aren't you forgetting that Ranka also got a past with Alto that never existed in the series? They obviously knew each other from before the movie started, and they obviously only just met during episode 1 of the series.
Old 2011-04-12, 09:31   Link #1978
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

*plays White Flag by Dido for LMK*

No matter how much one argues or in this case, sour-grapes, canon still stands.
Jesus, I wasn't like this when a few ships of mine lost.

(Yeah, I'm feeling evil today, from my usual tolerant mood.)

P.S. Wow, a hundred pages already!

Last edited by raile; 2011-04-12 at 09:44.
Old 2011-04-12, 10:42   Link #1979
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

A hundred pages, and it still feels like three years ago, with some people...

Old 2011-04-12, 10:46   Link #1980
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
A hundred pages, and it still feels like three years ago, with some people...
Three years ago it was funnier because you killed your keyboard > Sheryls Buns and Rankas Dumplings.

Tags
mecha, movie, romance, science fiction, song