AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > School Rumble

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-28, 15:31   Link #101
Sephiroth_760
Anime is lifestyle

Send a message via MSN to Sephiroth_760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
No news.
-------
nice and clean - no news - lol xDDD
Old 2010-04-29, 01:19   Link #102
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Give us some new news KJ or else!!!!!!
Old 2010-05-01, 01:02   Link #103
Gambino009
Phantom

Even kicked in the nuts... Harima's a beast XP

him and his mammoth built..

You can't say the same for KJ though, one kick would probably put him out of commission for good.
Old 2010-05-08, 06:03   Link #104
euromellows

Lol. On that note... I've seen pictures of JK and the resemblance to Harima is of course too much for a mere coincidence (don't need Yakumo's mind reading powers to know that). So I have to ask the question... is School Rumble JK's fantasy when he was at high school? That he would pursue an ordinary girl and yet have two of the most popular and desirable want him! Ok, no doubt not just his fantasy as well. I'm sure we all would've liked that kind of attention. The difference is most don't write a manga about it.

According to wikipedia JK said that Suga was the most autobiographical character. He probably meant in the sense that he was fairly ordinary at school.

Anyone know anymore? Also is there any news regarding SR at all? I was under impression JK will be doing a SR one shot each year, kind of like the old Betty & Veronica comic strips where they have fought over Archie for the last 30 years but there never seems to be any conclusion to it (not that I'm aware of anyway).

Thanks!

Last edited by euromellows; 2010-05-08 at 06:15. Reason: typo
Old 2010-05-09, 10:41   Link #105
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

As I know in the old interviews as I recall KJ modeled Harima to himself and some of his friends. One reason why the ever changing hairstlyes of Harima.

Another is that it's based mostly on experiences of his friends highschool life and he researches other highschool life in different areas.
Old 2010-05-13, 01:20   Link #106
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

If any of you guys happen to be bored, I managed to pool my thoughts about School Rumble into a wall of text on my blog, by all means come on by to discuss it if you'd like, especially some of you folks from wannabefansubs ;p.

http://pishi.wordpress.com/2010/05/12/rumble-ass/

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2010-05-13, 03:47   Link #107
Solafighter
Hige

Interesting post.

Good job on that.
Old 2010-05-13, 03:52   Link #108
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
. If you want some romance and a little bit of drama stay the hell away
From your blog.

Pretty much it's a comedy manga. Romance, drama and pairings are set aside too fast. Treat SR as a comedy manga and do not take the plot seriously.

Edit:

Needs a little music with lolz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1YABGdai5k
Old 2010-05-13, 06:21   Link #109
yakumo-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
If any of you guys happen to be bored, I managed to pool my thoughts about School Rumble into a wall of text on my blog, by all means come on by to discuss it if you'd like, especially some of you folks from wannabefansubs ;p.

nice job....

I do really hope that Honwaka action will be much better.....
Old 2010-05-13, 06:55   Link #110
Sephiroth_760
Anime is lifestyle

Quote:

well nice job you've done^^
but I can't agree with you

I haven't read it all (too long haha) but it seems to me that u really don't like SR^^

I think 90% here will agree with me if I say SR is a great series
sure there are scenes where we wished they would've never happened or at least which where a bit different but I think that most of the ppl here are happy that they jumped on the SR-train

I'm happy about the fact that I know SR and if I would be born again, I would watch it again

and it's just as kenjiharima said, SR's no drama
if you want to watch drama, go watch True Tears or something like that

it's nice that u've analysed SR that much, but I think you analysed it from the wrong viewpoint^^
well yeah, "If you want some romance and a little bit of drama stay the hell away" that's pretty right
I mean, u don't go watching gundam if u want to see feudal age samurais, do ya? ( a pretty extreme example^^)

Last edited by Sephiroth_760; 2010-05-13 at 07:06.
Old 2010-05-13, 09:46   Link #111
Master Chibi

Well it's not so much the series I have a problem with as it is Jin, the guy who made it. After a certain point it just didn't look like he knew what he was doing and the series ultimately suffered pretty badly for it.

And I have suggested this show to plenty of people, and continue to do so, but only under the genre of comedy. That's playing it safe.

;p

@ Kenjiharima:

I remember you!

Remember these:

Old 2010-05-13, 11:39   Link #112
Sephiroth_760
Anime is lifestyle

Quote:
Well it's not so much the series I have a problem with as it is Jin, the guy who made it. After a certain point it just didn't look like he knew what he was doing and the series ultimately suffered pretty badly for it.

And I have suggested this show to plenty of people, and continue to do so, but only under the genre of comedy. That's playing it safe.

;p
well if u put it that way I do understand u hahaha xD
KJ's really a badass for screwing up SR
and u're really right
especially in the end (the never ending pie-end nightmare) he really screwed up
it's not like he only screwed up the pie-end but ... the whole end

it kinda felt like the end was too much of a rush, trying to solve the whole story of SR with the last 10 chapters^^

and what was the result!?
*not kowing about how many years have passed by, with harima riding through some american desert and having a pie fight to box a creepy-looking gift*
Old 2010-05-13, 16:10   Link #113
hchop

Here's a curious question, since Suga according to wiki, is more of JK, what if he was the main character?
Old 2010-05-13, 16:14   Link #114
Solafighter
Hige

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
Needs a little music with lolz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1YABGdai5k
"This video is in your country not aviable. (...)"

Old 2010-05-14, 07:01   Link #115
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:

@ Kenjiharima

I remember you!

Remember these:

I've remembered you guys all way back in WF forums.

And yes that H-doujinshi manga. MMMmmm...Itoko.

Btw do you still have that? Mine kinda got lost in my "H" folder can you pm the link? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
"This video is in your country not aviable. (...)"

Hmm...works fine in the office. Better stick with SADGASM's Margerine for now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5-HXJlkD7s
Old 2010-05-15, 01:07   Link #116
Master Chibi

I'm positive I do but I don't remember the name of it.

lol

Old 2010-05-15, 06:08   Link #117
Sphire

Oh damn, wannabefansubs was a while ago....Oh man I'm remembering the wiki info on SR the people put up......SR had a lot of dedicated fans.

I'm not as pissed at Jin as some others. I read the manga after it was completed, and after realising there would be no season 3 for the anime. I definitely understood some of Master Chibi's points with regards to how nothing ever really happens in SR, and at times that frustrated me too. But I always felt JK would realise this, and do something a bit different, either a new story arc more relevant or such. Even then the rich vein of characters is what always was the best part of the series. Sure nothing technically ever happened, but the characters always grew.

In the end it JK probably ran out of ideas to sustain, believably, SR. IF we could realise the mundane aspects of certain arcs, I do think he could too. I personally hated the Kyoto arc, as it epitomised the 'guruguru mawaru' aspect of the show. But even then, I felt after that he did bring the manga back up a level or two. I for one simply cannot forget Eri being mad at Tenma, one of the best parts of the manga to me. I had the luck of reading the manga in full after it ended, and I think I was more tolerable because of that.

If anything, I'll agree with the ending. It felt rushed, everything seemed to be happening around the walking festival arc, which was weird. And I hated how JK used that female character (the one from the athletics team who was part of the first SR couple) and turned her into something of a slut, kissing all the guys (seemingly to prove Eri's purety, which just felt awkward in the whole scheme of things). Nor did I like the way Yakumo was treated during the walking festival either. But I felt JK had to end it...really, how much more 'guruguru mawaru' could the fans take anyway?

Ah this is getting long, but I was kinda ok with the rest of the ending. Tenma going to Karasuma, Karasuma's illness and Harima getting stuck between Eri and Yakumo. And I hella liked that Harima didn't choose either at the time (which annoys me a bit with regards to SRZ). In that aspect, I felt it was a good ending. There are a few shows out there where I absolutely hate the ending (Clannad AS and Toradora as quick examples), so that part of SR's ending was alright by me. The pie-fight thing...well that just seemed like a send off more than anything.

One last thing, I understand your recommending it as a 'comedy' show, but if you did so to me, I would imagine it being similar to Lucky Star or Pani Poni Dash or Cromatie High or something. In which I wouldn't have touched the show. But labeling it as 'romantic comedy' would remind me of Seto no Hanayome or Hayate no Gotoku (though this is heavily more comedy) for which I would be a lot more interested, especially if mentioned that there is good character development. I definitely wouldn't go romantic drama though.

In the end though, with all it's flaws, I still love the show. And I'll forever feel it would be one of the great injustices of the anime world if season 3 never gets a proper release...which doesn't look likely. And I would rather thank JK for creating it, than bash him for ending it.
Old 2010-05-15, 09:47   Link #118
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Just one character is worth while watching in SR.

Harima Kenji, his antics and sudden changes in his face and body, character development...etc. He's meant to be a 2ndary character as KJ put it, but he stole the show from Tenma.

I really wish Harima would have a spin off since he was missing in the "Future" chapters and before the final chapters of SR.

Jin Kobayashi create a HARIMA GAIDEN!!!
Old 2010-05-15, 10:37   Link #119
Sephiroth_760
Anime is lifestyle

not only that Harima stole the show, but Tenma even kinda became a secondary character xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post

I really wish Harima would have a spin off since he was missing in the "Future" chapters and before the final chapters of SR.

Jin Kobayashi create a HARIMA GAIDEN!!!
that's indeed a good idea
a spin-off about the time he went missing
Old 2010-05-15, 12:49   Link #120
Master Chibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphire View Post

Great reply.
I understand everything you've mentioned, but even you state that the series was more tolerable because you read it all in one shot.

Myself, along with a few others had followed this series from the start for close to four years. That's why I become frustrated at Jin and not the series. You could tell when he was grasping for straws and when he suddenly had a few, short streaks of wonderful.

The latter did not happen often though and it's too much to ask of someone if they become fond of the characters, which you will with this series. That's what makes it all the more difficult to suggest to someone if they want a little more romance with the comedy.

Also Seto no Hayanome and Hayate no Gotoku are both better then this because they didn't flop around whenever they decided to take matters seriously. Seto in particular mixed the two perfectly, I would suggest that to anyone before School Rumble and Hayate just finished the most important arc it's ever had to date. Neither formed a dependence on misunderstandings for its material either.

I mean I don't hate on Jin for it, but I'm not about to go hiding the flaws of the series either, not when it's four years worth of material I'd suggest to someone to get into.

Also, I would loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove if you guys posted these replies on my blog, discussions like this are why I'm starting it up again, I thrive on them, haha.

Closed Thread