Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2019-07-03, 23:59   Link #2861
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
The lead writer for the expansion was the one who wrote much of the DRK quest line, especially in Heavensward and the Doma sections of Stormblood, and thematically speaking it shows. There was much fan adoration for those parts of the game and thankfully SE heeded the fan clamor by making them the lead writer for this expac.
I wonder if this might be a sort of weird rumour that got out of hand, as this expansion has the same two lead writers as Stormblood had (Ishikawa and Oda). The work was obviously divided differently, though, and maybe Ishikawa did the overall plot outline this time. I really think, more than the writers themselves, it seems to me like the benefit of learned lessons from HW and SB feedback and a really strong overall plot concept.

That being said, though, I also finished Shadowbringers MSQ today and 100% agree with your assessment. Until now, it was pretty easy to say that the FFXIV story was "very good for an MMO," but with this expansion I'd really say they finally hit their goal of having a story that stands alongside the best FF games. HW was "close" but this one absolutely surpassed it.

Really, this expansion has it all -- a meaningful journey with characters that demonstrate nuance and growth; a huge variety of colorful, interesting and fleshed out locales, races, and NPCs; epic and memorable dungeons and boss battles; a well-developed antagonist that you could almost even sympathize with; a moving plot that adeptly goes from the deepest despair to the highest triumph; and lots of meaningful and game-changing lore reveals that put the whole story into a new perspective. The way they integrated the new Trust system into the content, and the way they integrated all the dungeons/trials into the plot flow were masterfully planned.

Spoiler for Shadowbringers MSQ Level 79+ plot:

Anyway, I'm sure I will go through again on an alt at some point in the future just to appreciate all the little things I missed (although New Game+ will be a thing soon as well), but really loved how it all came together.

(And I would just echo what Ishikawa said at Fanfest, to anyone who hasn't gotten to it yet, be sure to do the Crystal Tower Alliance Raid series first. It's not required but it makes the story better.)
Old 2019-07-04, 03:15   Link #2862
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Yeah I loved the final map as well, and the moment you hit THAT region you finally understand why SE was so strict and tight-lipped on making sure nothing about it leaked. Even the dataminers on reddit tried to withhold revealing the map.

And like Azim Steppe it's my home aetheryte now.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-05, 17:07   Link #2863
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Haven't touched FF14 in a few years, and back then I only hit level 40 as a bard. After watching the SB new job actions, I had to jump right back in as a lancer. Just hit level 22. Really enjoying the game despite it being "slow." I've been on Black Desert for a long while now and FF14 brings a change from BDO. Although I'm not really focusing on the story or lore of FF14 (I know absolutely nothing about the FF universe haha), I'm just focusing on killing and leveling. Enjoying the lancer quite a bit right now, but the leveling process is slow and I wish there were more skills haha. I watched the video again and I do want to try out the samurai as as well as the ninja later down the road. Any tips are appreciated as I work my way to level 50

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-06, 10:25   Link #2864
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode120x View Post
Haven't touched FF14 in a few years, and back then I only hit level 40 as a bard. After watching the SB new job actions, I had to jump right back in as a lancer. Just hit level 22. Really enjoying the game despite it being "slow." I've been on Black Desert for a long while now and FF14 brings a change from BDO. Although I'm not really focusing on the story or lore of FF14 (I know absolutely nothing about the FF universe haha), I'm just focusing on killing and leveling. Enjoying the lancer quite a bit right now, but the leveling process is slow and I wish there were more skills haha. I watched the video again and I do want to try out the samurai as as well as the ninja later down the road. Any tips are appreciated as I work my way to level 50
The combat system may seem slow at lower levels but it becomes very busy once you level up, this has become even more pronounced with the newer expansions since they removed several low level skills to introduce new ones at higher level.

Generally speaking you have a global cool down (GCD) that you need to wait before you can press most skills, but then you'll gain several off global cool down (oGCD) skills that you are supposed to use between GCD, essentially halving the downtime between each button press.

There are then jobs that gain the ability to decrease the GCD so they can be faster (Monk and Ninja) if you really prefer it that way.

As for not knowing anything about the FF universe, it's really not a problem. Each Final Fantasy is its own game set in its own separate universe with a few exceptions (for example FFXII being tied to every FF tactics, or FFXIII-2 and Lightning Returns being tied to FFXIII), but FFXIV isn't one.

There are a lot of homages and cameos of characters, music and various stuff related to previous FF titles, but they are just that. For example there's always a character named "Cid" in every FF game but they are all different characters that just happen to have the same name and that are somehow related to technology (mainly flying technology).

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-06, 11:29   Link #2865
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
The combat system may seem slow at lower levels but it becomes very busy once you level up, this has become even more pronounced with the newer expansions since they removed several low level skills to introduce new ones at higher level.

Generally speaking you have a global cool down (GCD) that you need to wait before you can press most skills, but then you'll gain several off global cool down (oGCD) skills that you are supposed to use between GCD, essentially halving the downtime between each button press.

There are then jobs that gain the ability to decrease the GCD so they can be faster (Monk and Ninja) if you really prefer it that way.

As for not knowing anything about the FF universe, it's really not a problem. Each Final Fantasy is its own game set in its own separate universe with a few exceptions (for example FFXII being tied to every FF tactics, or FFXIII-2 and Lightning Returns being tied to FFXIII), but FFXIV isn't one.

There are a lot of homages and cameos of characters, music and various stuff related to previous FF titles, but they are just that. For example there's always a character named "Cid" in every FF game but they are all different characters that just happen to have the same name and that are somehow related to technology (mainly flying technology).
Good to know.

Definitely all too familiar with the GCD and that was the main reason why I initially stopped back then. So used to spamming skills in other MMO's, but it is tolerable right now and as you had mentioned, there are some skills that can be used of GCD.

Edit:
When do you get your first mount? Getting pretty triggered by the super slow moving/traveling. It seems you can also buy mounts on the website but you can't use it until you get your first "personal mount" according to the site.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”

Last edited by barcode120x; 2019-07-06 at 12:22.
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-06, 15:30   Link #2866
Twi

You get your Chocobo when you join a Grand Company.
Old 2019-07-06, 19:23   Link #2867
Galaxian

How much has the game change since Heavensward? I stopped playing right before Stormblood came out, but Shadowbringers is threatening to pull me back in.
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-06, 20:07   Link #2868
Twi

Can't say since I only joined up a few months ago.
Old 2019-07-06, 21:28   Link #2869
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxian View Post
How much has the game change since Heavensward? I stopped playing right before Stormblood came out, but Shadowbringers is threatening to pull me back in.
It hasn't fundamentally changed. They added some new jobs, made some changes to the skills existing jobs had, and implemented a bunch of QoL changes, but it won't feel all that different. That said, the story is still quite good, and this new expansion especially. If nothing else, I'd recommend at least coming back to go through the MSQ, as it's worth doing even if you just treat it as a single-player game and ignore endgame entirely.
Old 2019-07-07, 13:58   Link #2870
Galaxian

Ok, went back in and... Yeah... My hotbar has been shot to hell...
Old 2019-07-07, 16:45   Link #2871
Twi

Oh yeah. They gutted Scholar and Machnist bad. Though, the latter recovered. The former... not so much.
Old 2019-07-08, 00:31   Link #2872
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

MCH feels so much less clunky and unforgiving now compared to SB.

And as a career tank, well, I can say that I've had a lot of issues with my SCHs not being able to keep up with incoming damage and ASTs fumbling with their cards.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-08, 19:17   Link #2873
Galaxian

Do you get any special dialogue in Stormblood if you leveled Monk up like you did in Heavensward with Dragoon?
Old 2019-07-08, 23:34   Link #2874
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxian View Post
Do you get any special dialogue in Stormblood if you leveled Monk up like you did in Heavensward with Dragoon?
I don't think so. The only class-specific dialog I remember in Stormblood is an extremely minor tweak in a cutscene if you're a healer class, but nothing major at all.
Old 2019-07-10, 19:04   Link #2875
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I don't think so. The only class-specific dialog I remember in Stormblood is an extremely minor tweak in a cutscene if you're a healer class, but nothing major at all.
It's quite sad that Widargelt isn't even mentioned in the MSQ, he should have had a part in the restoration of Ala Mhigo as much as Estinien had a part in the resolution of the Dragonsong War. In that case we would have probably had some special lines for those who completed the MNK quests, but that didn't happen, so no special lines.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-10, 19:09   Link #2876
Twi

You mean the Monk teacher?

Considering his lineage, yeah he should have been like Eistenien was in Heavensward.
Old 2019-07-11, 10:11   Link #2877
Galaxian

What happened to the Healers in the game? Back then queuing in as a a Tank was almost instant, but now I have to wait several minutes for a Healer...
Old 2019-07-11, 16:54   Link #2878
Twi

Well, a combination of things but mostly:

* Scholars and Astro mains being pissed about the changes and choosing not to play as them.
* Gunbreaker and Dancer being a Tank and DPS.
Old 2019-07-12, 00:30   Link #2879
zibi88

Those that leveled up tanks started to level other classes so now there is a lack of tanks. A moment ago I saw in alliance raids - adventurer in need (dps), so it might depend on time you play.
zibi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-12, 07:27   Link #2880
Galaxian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Well, a combination of things but mostly:

* Scholars and Astro mains being pissed about the changes and choosing not to play as them.
* Gunbreaker and Dancer being a Tank and DPS.
Dancer seems to be quite popular. Ever since coming back I don't think I've been in an instance without a Dancer in the party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibi88 View Post
Those that leveled up tanks started to level other classes so now there is a lack of tanks. A moment ago I saw in alliance raids - adventurer in need (dps), so it might depend on time you play.
I've only seen that unicorn once before.

Tags
mmorpg