AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Air

Notices

Old 2008-08-23, 07:17   Link #81
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I don't have the kanji characters in front of me, so I can't tell you with 100% certainty that it is "Shadow of Summer" (or "Summer Shadow" if you prefer). I don't believe that "Summer Lights" is correct.
Really? Because... some japanese guy... posted... something in japanese... explaining how, depending on the context, "Kage" can also mean light. Like how in Sailor Moon, the character "Tsukikage no Knight"'s name was translated as "Moonlight Knight". Yes, I realise that this explaination is badly flawed and has next to nothing to back it up, as I don't remember where I found the explaination, (though I think it was a youtube-video of a live-performance of Natsukage) nor did I actually understand anything, except that "Kage" could apparently mean both "Light" and "Shadow".
Old 2008-08-23, 21:14   Link #82
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Using an online dictionary, one of the entries for "kage" is:

影【かげ】
(n) (1) shadow; silhouette; (2) reflection; image; (3) presence; sign; (4) light (stars, moon); (P)

The (P) just indicates that these four definitions for this entry (one among many for the term) are popularly used in Japan. Note the fourth definition. Assuming this online dictionary is a definitive source, then "kage" could correspond to star and [/i]moon[/i] light (and perhaps light from other astral/heavenly sources), but not light in general.
Old 2008-08-24, 13:51   Link #83
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

I would say it means “summer shade”, since the kanji is clearly used to refer to dim light or shadows. Also summer shade sounds natural and fits the mood of the music, whereas "summer light" sounds kind of weird to me, I'd expect something more like "summer sunshine". Having said that, this theme seems mainly to be played during sunny scenes of Yukito & Misuzu walking along and not when people are sat in the shade.

I've seen this kanji mistranslated before, notably in the ED to the Agatha Christie series where Frothbite translated "shinju no tsukikage" as "pearl moon shadow" instead of "pearl moonlight" (or just "pearly moon"). You can't usually just translate kanji in isolation, the meanings rarely map one-to-one onto English words so you need to consider the context to divine which of a range of English words fits the particular use.

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-25, 13:36   Link #84
Minoto

It is translated as "summer lights" in the game, though they did take liberties with a couple of the titles -- 双星 as "altair and vega", for example...a reference to the legend of the separated lovers, rather than the more literal but less evocative "twin stars".

Personally, I have a hard time reading it as anything other than "summer shade" or "summer shadows", but "light" is a valid meaning for the character (Nelson lists it as "EI shadow. kage light; shadow; silhouette; phantom; reflection; trace.") and it seems unlikely that Key would mistranslate the title using a word that's the opposite of what was intended, so my assumption is that the title was chosen deliberately to play on the contrast between the stated reading of "light" and the associated reading of "shadow" that no-one seems to be able to avoid. That seems to fit well with Misuzu -- bright and cheerful on the surface, but desperately lonely underneath.

Last edited by Minoto; 2008-11-24 at 03:54. Reason: Updated image link.
Minoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 06:27   Link #85
Vegard Aune

Say, I was just watching some trailer-thingy for some Lia-concert, and I heard a short clip of a song that sounded extremely much like Kanna's theme-song, "Moon Child". (At least I think that was what it was.) Was it just a random coincidence, or does she actually have a vocal version of that too? I knew that Misuzu's theme had been made into a song, but I didn't realise that there were others too.

Last edited by Vegard Aune; 2008-11-18 at 06:31. Reason: Found out that I was wrong about what the trailer actually was for
Vegard Aune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-21, 04:09   Link #86
Minoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
Say, I was just watching some trailer-thingy for some Lia-concert, and I heard a short clip of a song that sounded extremely much like Kanna's theme-song, "Moon Child". (At least I think that was what it was.) Was it just a random coincidence, or does she actually have a vocal version of that too? I knew that Misuzu's theme had been made into a song, but I didn't realise that there were others too.
Not a coincidence -- pick up http://www.amazon.co.jp/Lia-COLLECTI...ref=pd_sim_m_1 if you don't have it, or better yet, the full collection.
Minoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-21, 11:34   Link #87
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minoto View Post
Not a coincidence -- pick up http://www.amazon.co.jp/Lia-COLLECTI...ref=pd_sim_m_1 if you don't have it, or better yet, the full collection.
I've been thinking of buying it, but currently, the actual visual novel soundtrack seems more tempting to me. That collection-CD has a couple of songs I'd like to get, (Especially the vocal version of Negai ga Kanau Basho from Clannad) but most of those songs are also available on the soundtracks, so basically, there are only two songs on there that I can't get by some other means. (Or three, as I seriously doubt that I'll be able to find the Natsukage-single.) But I did in fact plan on getting it a few weeks ago, then I realised that the currency-rates had changed, so I'd have to pay taxes and blah blah blah to get it... Then some guy told me that apparently you don't have to pay custom taxes for CDs, so I'll probably get that CD once I've got some money, and don't have so extremely much other stuff that I want more.
Old 2008-11-24, 08:00   Link #88
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
Natukage+nostalgia. I bought it from AnimeJungle a few years back, very fast and great service

The Lia Collection is absolutely fantastic, too... I bought it when it first came out a couple of years back. I have to buy some of it again, actually - as one of my two Diamond Days disks has disappeared out of the jewel case. I only noticed when I went to listen to it in my car CD player a few weeks ago. Absolutely fuming :/

Still have the mp3s I ripped of it, of course - but not the same

-Andiyar
Old 2009-01-03, 23:20   Link #89
Jinx626
Yo!!

Just found this little video on youtube of Air Opening being composed using NES 8-bit graphics and sound....It is quite good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDBA2_lyxJw
Old 2009-01-04, 11:08   Link #90
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quite interesting.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 03:45   Link #91
elroid

Recently I started listening tori no uta again and found this one is very nice.
It is done by a group call ZimuinG&Usako. Anyone can give abit more information about them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLwkLIeRj0M
elroid is offline   Reply With Quote