AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2011-01-13, 12:35   Link #361
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Not exactly, since we can't actually posit questions to the characters. The purple is the purple they provide, and it can't change and we can't ask for more of it. It's more like one of those static grid-based logic puzzles. I had to do a lot of those in school. They suck. The difference is at one point you hit contradiction and have to find the most contradictory statement to proceed.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-13, 14:11   Link #362
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
I always found those puzzles sort of fun. Like I need more evidence that I'm evil.
Old 2011-01-13, 14:53   Link #363
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Nah, I like those too. The nastier they are, the better.
Old 2011-01-13, 16:38   Link #364
fuff

besides umineko rei...is the author planning on doing more when they cry-higurashi ones? even if i dont think he can expand the story much...i like higurashi better than umineko lol
fuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-13, 16:52   Link #365
Tjfarmer
I'm almost there!

Send a message via AIM to Tjfarmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuff View Post
besides umineko rei...is the author planning on doing more when they cry-higurashi ones? even if i dont think he can expand the story much...i like higurashi better than umineko lol
Higurashi is done, don't expect any more VNs for it. Manga side-stories are still possible, if not likely.
Tjfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-13, 17:18   Link #366
Witch of Uncertainty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjfarmer View Post
Higurashi is done, don't expect any more VNs for it. Manga side-stories are still possible, if not likely.
Even for Alchemist?
Witch of Uncertainty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-13, 17:19   Link #367
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
I always found those puzzles sort of fun. Like I need more evidence that I'm evil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalAura View Post
Nah, I like those too. The nastier they are, the better.
That's what a true mystery novel is for you (or, if you don't like the term "true," then think conventional/classic/Golden Age).
Go read some of John Dickson Carr's novels and cry like a baby - not because of the story, there's no drama, and in fact, Carr is not that great when it comes to narrative, but just try solving his puzzles.
Cecil Street and Ellery Queen are also quite wicked when writing mysteries. I love them almost as much as Carr.
Old 2011-01-13, 17:19   Link #368
Tjfarmer
I'm almost there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch of Uncertainty View Post
Even for Alchemist?
Lemme rephrase then...

Don't expect any more VNs directly written and supervised by Ryukishi and 07thExpansion
Old 2011-01-13, 17:46   Link #369
immblueversion

Quote:
Don't expect any more VNs directly written and supervised by Ryukishi and 07thExpansion
Even an Umineko "equivalent" of Higurashi Rei? I heard it was rumored and Ryukishi supposedly brought it up in his interviews, but that's not from my firsthand experiences so I couldn't say for sure.

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-13, 17:50   Link #370
Tjfarmer
I'm almost there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by immblueversion View Post
Even an Umineko "equivalent" of Higurashi Rei? I heard it was rumored and Ryukishi supposedly brought it up in his interviews, but that's not from my firsthand experiences so I couldn't say for sure.
I just can't get it right today :P I was talking about for Higurashi, not Umineko.
Old 2011-01-13, 19:11   Link #371
immblueversion

Quote:
I just can't get it right today :P I was talking about for Higurashi, not Umineko.
Sorry, didn't see that part of the comment.

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 02:30   Link #372
neutrino

Quote:
I don't quite remember if the cake is relevant to anything, but it most definitely does not relate to the ending.

For the multiple endings, you literally just come to a screen where you choose between pressing one of two buttons clearly marked "Magic" and "Trick" leading to either one.

The coins just unlock additional scenes either during the quizzes where you win them or at the very end during the "Magic" ending. Either way, the extra scenes just involve all the other family members and servants.
I read on the wiki that there were several endings, so does the choice screen come up multiple times?
neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 02:46   Link #373
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
He used the words "Umineko Rei" in an episode 6 interview, but not in that context. here's the quote:

Quote:
Will EP7 end the series?
Who knows? Seven is a lucky number (laughs), and EP8 might become an omake episode, like an "Umineko no Naku Koro ni Rei". (laughs again)
However, I think we will be giving out an extremely merciless answer in EP7.
He was really just joking about episode 8. It wasn't referring to a separate game or anything.
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 03:19   Link #374
neutrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
If anything, purple text is more of a logic problem than anything else, as it requires you to do the old "Bob is taller than Mary, Antoine is shorter than Lisa, Lisa is taller than Bob" song and dance.
That's my point. By turning the last mystery into a logic problem, is Ryuu07 making a metatextual point that relying on things like authoritative voices (such as the Red Text) and rigid rules of writing (literally enforced by Heaven on penalty of death) turn a story into a puzzle?
Old 2011-01-14, 09:33   Link #375
Mcjon01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
He was really just joking about episode 8. It wasn't referring to a separate game or anything.
Well, he does mention still wanting to write an Umineko Rei and a new When They Cry in the production diary. It's in the post he made right before Episode 8 came out.

http://07th-expansion.net/Cgi/clip/clip.cgi
Mcjon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 11:12   Link #376
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino View Post
That's my point. By turning the last mystery into a logic problem, is Ryuu07 making a metatextual point that relying on things like authoritative voices (such as the Red Text) and rigid rules of writing (literally enforced by Heaven on penalty of death) turn a story into a puzzle?
If he is, he sort of screwed up by not having an answer key. A puzzle has a correct answer; if it doesn't, it's not a puzzle, but a thought experiment.

It's like if you read a clever riddle in a book, but then you flip to the back and somebody tore out the page that gives an answer. How many answers are there to "what has four legs and flies?" A lot; some serious, some silly. If you don't know which one the riddle creator was going for, it might as well be any of them.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-15, 08:36   Link #377
kiby

Ok....just finished ep 8.
I'm still a bit confused as I do not remember when the two first message-bottles were send but i think that we do not need any other clues to "solve " the game (looks like the truth is pretty boring anyway...).

I do not know what you think aboute the trick ending but I do not think it matched with this episode's thema.
Spoiler for trick end:
kiby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 10:44   Link #378
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Back to work! Here's the summary I promised for yesterday but didn't get around to it.

Spoiler for Summary:

I was apparently mistaken the last time when I thought the fight on Rokkenjima would extend immediately into the Golden Land, but it was merely an escape. Anyway, the REAL Battle of the Golden Land is just about to begin.'

Blog updated.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 11:39   Link #379
neutrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
Me too (why is that evil?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
That's what a true mystery novel is for you (or, if you don't like the term "true," then think conventional/classic/Golden Age).
Go read some of John Dickson Carr's novels and cry like a baby - not because of the story, there's no drama, and in fact, Carr is not that great when it comes to narrative, but just try solving his puzzles.
Cecil Street and Ellery Queen are also quite wicked when writing mysteries. I love them almost as much as Carr.
Going by (the hypothetical) "pro-story" viewpoint, if you don't have drama or strong narrative or characterization, why make it a novel at all, as opposed to a short story or even a puzzle?

I also like Ellery Queen. As Wikipedia says, he moved from a Philo Vance style detective to including more human interaction. Interestingly, one of his novels featuring a locked room mystery, A Room to Die In, was ghost -written by SF writer Jack Vance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
If he is, he sort of screwed up by not having an answer key. A puzzle has a correct answer; if it doesn't, it's not a puzzle, but a thought experiment.

It's like if you read a clever riddle in a book, but then you flip to the back and somebody tore out the page that gives an answer. How many answers are there to "what has four legs and flies?" A lot; some serious, some silly. If you don't know which one the riddle creator was going for, it might as well be any of them.
Like I said, I haven't read it yet, but he may have been trying to illustrate the "anti-mystery" viewpoint.
Old 2011-01-16, 12:30   Link #380
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Back to work! Here's the summary I promised for yesterday but didn't get around to it.
I don't think that they ever identified the character found on the road as being either male or female. It's all told POV, and I don't remember any dialogue that described him as a male. In fact, I thought that R07 was doing a deliberate effort here to try to trick the reader into thinking that she had found Ange in the road after her fall. It directly seques from her hitting the ground to the waking up on the road and being saved by Ikuko. Tohya is a gender-neutral-enough name (I think?), so when the flashbacks start to occur, the name that comes to the POV character's mind being Ange (who along with Battler is not shown third person in the flashbacks, but everyone else is) is a further reinforcement of this red herring. If you've had any spoilers, it's easy to assume it was Battler from the start and miss this more subtle point. But R07 is careful not to give this sequence further context until the last portion of the game.

Of course I may be completely mistaken here and on crack. But I remember some fanart comic in the image thread that also, early after the release, portrayed Ange as being the one found in the road, so I know I'm not the only one who thought this (though I knew better from spoilers).

Another thought: I think the second bell was found to be on Ange's person without her noticing it previously. If I recall, it was hinted earlier Evatrice planted it there. But I might be wrong here, too.

(MyAnimeList banner on hiatus until I bother to update my MyAnimeList status again...)

Last edited by Ayu-ayu; 2011-01-16 at 12:37. Reason: Bell invitation
Ayu-ayu is offline   Reply With Quote