AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-23, 22:01   Link #681
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

the jury is out on episode 12 (until I get to see a subbed version)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX_COLA_POWER! View Post
Well well, a fine end to a fine adaptation. Sun beams for censorship, but at least this time, they fit. Looks like next week's episode 13 will be about Akira's elder sister.
What? It's not ended. There is still one more episode (saying anything else about it would be spoilers).

I thought the shadow censorship was more appropriate and 'realistic' than those damn light beams that seemed to be fired out of a 1 million kilowatt laser canon. We can only hope that they'll be removed from the DVD/BD releases.

Spoiler for speculation on which manga chapters the next episode will be based on (but no content spoilers):

Spoiler for Episode 12 and Manga chapter comparison spoilers:

Last edited by FredFriendly; 2012-06-23 at 22:55. Reason: added comment to speculation spoiler after watching subbed version
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 22:53   Link #682
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

You know, I could watch this show with the sound turned off and enjoy it, and just listen to the audio without the pictures and love it just as much. Of course it's better with all of that together, but that's a testament to just how good every aspect of the production is.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 23:04   Link #683
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
You know, I could watch this show with the sound turned off and enjoy it, and just listen to the audio without the pictures and love it just as much. Of course it's better with all of that together, but that's a testament to just how good every aspect of the production is.
Well, for me, listening to the audio would be useless. Well, not completely. I do love the sound of Urabe's seductive voice. But, I'll definitely agree about watching it without the audio. Having read the manga, I can just imagine what they're saying, since at least 90% of the lines are pretty much what I read in the translated manga.

Although I haven't read that many mangas, this anime is the best adaptation of any of them that I have so far read. It truly is a testament to how well the production company has done.
Old 2012-06-24, 00:59   Link #684
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Well, the sub is out. I swear, Urabe and Oka are each other's best strength and worst weakness-v-. I can't tell who's helping or who's trolling or who wants to be who^^;;.
Old 2012-06-24, 02:31   Link #685
novalysis

Oka and Urabe has a very close friendship, that much is clear.

Spoiler for Speculation on Possible Hints of Second Cour :

How are Pre Orders fairing for this series?
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 08:05   Link #686
ookamigirl

So it was true, Tsubaki just can't help himself but see her as naked since the festival.
Looks like Ayu was right about Tsubaki's dirty mind LOL
That was seriously becoming a problem.
Urabe sure got worried when she accidentally nicked him.
Looks like all the emotions are getting to her (and her aim).
Their self control seems to be crumbling.
Ayu is acting kinda weird with trying to copy Urabe.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 08:43   Link #687
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Overall, episode 12 was very good, but not as good episode 11 or other previous episodes. This opinion is based on a few factors: 1) unbelievably, I didn't like the dream sequence, 2) the big gaff the anime staff pulled, and 3) the mix of original source and anime original,.

I wasn't too keen on the dream sequence. It started off under the influence of Suzumiya Haruhi, and ended up heavily influenced by visions of a drunken Pillsbury Dough Boy. It just didn't seem very creative, but did seem more like cost-cutting dream sequence animation. Where all of the previous dream sequences had been quite inspired and incredibly detailed, this one seemed, well, just plain goofy. I was not impressed.

A big gaff (or call it an inconsistency) on the part of the production team showed up right after the dream sequence. Ueno-kun would never discuss his girlfriend right there in the classroom where students other than Tsubaki could hear him. I guess the anime staff forgot that his and Oka's relationship is still a secret. There were at least three students who could have overheard the conversation.

As for mixing original source with original animation, the last third of the episode, with the exclusion of an altered appearance of Suwano, was anime original content, including the dream sequence, Oka's scissors try-out, replacement of the bandage, etc., etc, and Urabe's display of emotion at the end of the episode.

Suwano's appearance at that juncture seemed out of place, especially since she wasn't mentioned again. It is clear that the anime staff used her replacement of the bandage, and the subsequent scene on the bridge between Urabe and Tsubaki, to make Urabe seem more sympathetic and less cold, heartless, and unemotional. This is definitely a departure from the manga.

Spoiler for more episode 12 and Manga chapter comparison spoilers:

Oka, well, she's the anime (and manga's) troll. Although her scissors scene was not in the manga, it fits in perfectly well with the nature of her character. This isn't the first time she's tried to get her own thrills by copying what Urabe and Tsubaki do. This was all filler material to fill out the episode without using any more chapters from the manga.

On a positive note, I was pleased as punch that we got to see an outstanding, count them, not one, not two, not three, but 4 of Urabe's fabulous scissors displays (although the second one was more spectacular in the manga since it involved a big sign behind Tsubaki, not a wimpy handkerchief).

It was also the first time we got to see any real, tangible emotion from Urabe towards Tsubaki, not only after she snipped his forehead, but also after he knocked his noggin on the bedpost. And, of course, at the end of the episode.

We also get to see just how fearful of Urabe's bursts of anger Tsubaki really is. That scene was an improvement over the manga, with the little bit of Tsbuaki's imagination, which wasn't in the manga.

All in all, it was a very good, but not exceptional, episode. If I hadn't read the manga, I might have enjoyed it more, but I still wouldn't have liked the dream sequence. The first two thirds of the episode was a spot-on adaptation of the source material.

There is one thing, even after reading the manga, that I am not clear on. The second framed picture that Urabe attacked was titled, "Visitor from Space." It's not the title of any movie that I'm aware of, although it could be a Japanese movie, or perhaps anime or TV show that I've never seen. But I did check imdb.com and there is nothing with that specific title. Anyone have a clue? Or is this, perhaps, a deeply embedded foreshadowing of some kind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Oka and Urabe has a very close friendship, that much is clear.
I'd disagree with this. A close relationship, perhaps, but as Urabe previously stated, she only needs one friend, and that friend is Tsubaki. Not only that, but Oka doesn't really act like a real friend. Oka is a thrill seeker and Urabe is Oka's "thrill." It's more like an amazing idol, Urabe, and her most fanatical fan, Oka.
Old 2012-06-24, 09:31   Link #688
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
There is one thing, even after reading the manga, that I am not clear on. The second framed picture that Urabe attacked was titled, "Visitor from Space." It's not the title of any movie that I'm aware of, although it could be a Japanese movie, or perhaps anime or TV show that I've never seen. But I did check imdb.com and there is nothing with that specific title. Anyone have a clue? Or is this, perhaps, a deeply embedded foreshadowing of some kind?
Some think it's foreshadowing, though I think any further meaningful discussion on "Visitor from Space" verges on spoiler territory, since it's only safe to comment about the first 36 Chapters here.

Quote:
I'd disagree with this. A close relationship, perhaps, but as Urabe previously stated, she only needs one friend, and that friend is Tsubaki. Not only that, but Oka doesn't really act like a real friend. Oka is a thrill seeker and Urabe is Oka's "thrill." It's more like an amazing idol, Urabe, and her most fanatical fan, Oka.
That comment on Urabe being an idol is truly ironically amusing.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 09:47   Link #689
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Some think it's foreshadowing, though I think any further meaningful discussion on "Visitor from Space" verges on spoiler territory, since it's only safe to comment about the first 36 Chapters here.
Or, coincidentally, only about half of the first 36 chapters. And I wasn't attempting to incite any spoiler discussion.

Quote:
That comment on Urabe being an idol is truly ironically amusing.
Haha! I wasn't even thinking of that when I wrote the comment, but it was the best analogy I could think of off the top of my head. It was more inspired by Oka immitating Urabe's actions, as well as the frequent blushing that spreads across Oka's face when she's thinking of Urabe (let's not forget that photograph). Plus her incessant desire to invade Urabe's privacy.
Old 2012-06-24, 21:42   Link #690
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
I enjoyed this more than the last arc, Nazo no Kanojo X is at its best to me when it focuses on the lead couple exclusively and while the Hanazawa detour was nice in the last arc,episodes like this week's are what I signed up for and what I look forward to every week when I watch this show.Frankly I'm kind of hoping for anime original end that does whatever it wants,I trust the staff doubt there'll be a S2.So might as well really end things.
Old 2012-06-25, 12:51   Link #691
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Okay - ep 12 was just plain well done. I must admit that I am finding the anime adaptation more enjoyable than the manga source. This was obviously done with a lot of love and care, and it shows.
Old 2012-06-25, 13:18   Link #692
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

There is one thing that I do know...

I hate shadows and sunshine...
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 19:48   Link #693
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Caught up to this show. It's got a lot of good things, but one main thing that holds it back. Besides Urabe, the characters, and especially the main whose name I can't remember, are so bland and forgettable that it brings my enjoyment down. They do some interesting things, but they themselves are not interesting.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-27, 09:42   Link #694
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
I also caught up with the anime, and all I have to say is that this is one of the ugliest anime that I love. The writer managed to pull one of the most perverted shows I have ever watched.

Now on the second NTR arc, Urabe is captivating and all, but still it's pissing me off the way she reacted when her boyfriend was about to taste his middle school crushes drool. If nothing else she did exactly that with a random classmate
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-27, 13:30   Link #695
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

This isn't anywhere near as perverted as most romantic/comedy manga/anime these days.

The way she reacted? She seemed perfectly fine giving him a chance to do so, considering she wanted the order of them to go to be random, and was willing to let him try it even after she went and Urabe identified her.
Old 2012-06-27, 14:07   Link #696
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
This isn't anywhere near as perverted as most romantic/comedy manga/anime these days.
Are you sure? For example two chicks getting butt-naked in a public building in the middle of the day, in front of a blind-folded teenagers and in order to have a drool sucking contest? Dunno, at least this season only that silly vibrating armor is getting close to perversion. And that's one example, the MC's fantasies are even more extreme, that weird out even his mysterious girlfriend (doll-hat during intercourse, desk-licking, and whatnot)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
The way she reacted? She seemed perfectly fine giving him a chance to do so, considering she wanted the order of them to go to be random, and was willing to let him try it even after she went and Urabe identified her.
A chance that she denied him when went on "drool-sharing" with another random classmate
Old 2012-06-27, 14:23   Link #697
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Are you sure? For example two chicks getting butt-naked in a public building in the middle of the day, in front of a blind-folded teenagers and in order to have a drool sucking contest? Dunno, at least this season only that silly vibrating armor is getting close to perversion. And that's one example, the MC's fantasies are even more extreme, that weird out even his mysterious girlfriend (doll-hat during intercourse, desk-licking, and whatnot)
No peeping, falling into women's crotches, actual visible nipple, large amounts of breast jiggling, sexual harassment played for laughs, lacked sexual seduction, shared bath scenes, or any number of things are are basically industry standard these days.

Quote:
[A chance that she denied him when went on "drool-sharing" with another random classmate
A chance he didn't actually want to take in the first place and that the other girl denied herself by crying before it could happen. Urabe is the resident "expert" as far as drool goes, not Tsubaki. It is also a common misconception by readers/viewers that Urabe sees sharing drool as a sexual thing (it is quite apparent she doesn't), it is simply her median for forming bonds and communicating feelings to her.
Old 2012-06-27, 14:47   Link #698
Malkuth
Banned

Change misconception with interpretation and we can discuss it.

As for the silly troupes you mentioned they are neither intentional nor provocative as what Urabe does to the male population (both 2D and 3D)
Old 2012-06-27, 15:01   Link #699
Funkatron
Highly irregular

I love it that a show about drool is seen as provocative.
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-27, 15:24   Link #700
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Don't think there's many animes that show their female leads as being horny (talking about the pillow in the latest episode) rather than "pure" innocent beings that you see more often.

Tags
romance, seinen