AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

View Poll Results: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha the Movie 2nd A's - Rating
Perfect 10 16 25.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 25.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 20.31%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 4.69%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 12.50%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 3.13%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 6.25%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.56%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.56%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-03-25, 19:12   Link #661
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
Unless Keroko goes around searching for the most hardcore Fate fan, my point still stands.
Despite the disagreements we have with this movie, Demi., you've never attacked me, you just defended Fate.

Haru, on the other hand, is known for attacking people who slight Fate. (He did flat out attack me on FF.Net)

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-25, 19:15   Link #662
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
Despite the disagreements we have with this movie, Demi., you've never attacked me, you just defended Fate.

Haru, on the other hand, is known for attacking people who slight Fate. (He did flat out attack me on FF.Net)
Is it for having Levi molesting Fate in your fanfic?
Old 2013-03-25, 19:17   Link #663
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
That sounds like that person's just being an asshole and doesn't like disagreement, and one can be that without being a hardcore fan.

Though you can be both, for sure.

But Demi. is still significantly above average. His energies are focused around one character, unlike say me who has to cover more ground, who had Fate as #1

/shot

<< Don't insult the person in this avatar. (This will not change regardless of who it actually is )

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-25, 19:17   Link #664
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:

Because I know a fanbase can kill a character for other people. I'm not trying to be counterproductive here. Regardless how frustrating it gets, it's in my best interest not to go that route.

And Haru is also a hardcore NanoFate fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archonwing
But Demi. is still significantly above average.
That's putting it lightly.
Old 2013-03-25, 19:19   Link #665
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Trust me, Haru runs NanoFate.us, so, you tell me.

But this isn't here or there.

Anyway, yes, the Stick Training could have been removed in this movie and replaced with that scene I mentioned earlier about Nanoha launching one last attack that shocks Vita and knocks her back/down before passing out. Would have made the movie better. If you cut down on the NanoFate fluff at the start by a little bit, you could have had Lindy showing what SHE could do in battle against the Wolkenritter. Cut the Dream Eater sequence down by a few minutes and just stick with Nanoha vs Reinforce...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Is it for having Levi molesting Fate in your fanfic?
Try the Relationships Series.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2013-03-25 at 22:31. Reason: Please use the "edit" button to add content to your post instead of double posting.
Old 2013-03-25, 19:22   Link #666
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko
Speaking as an editor, editting often comes down to trying to snip seconds away from scenes to make things fit. Seconds. Getting the green light to cut out a scene that lasts ten minutes?
I'm glad that I have no desire to be published professionally, because I really think my relationship with an editor would be an ugly one. I don't like the idea of people cutting things out of my story because "it doesn't contribute to the plot enough" or "it's extraneous" or whatever. I would find it hard not to roundhouse kick said editor and say "Motherfucker, if I wrote it down it's supposed to be there. Now put it back before I go Starlight Breaker on your ass." I'm glad to have the freedom to write just for my own personal pleasure and have every single word I wrote down preserved and untampered with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi.
And maybe if you go to Japan someone like me is more commonplace, but I've been a fan for 6 years and it has not ever waned since. Most westerners forget about characters after a couple months..And the ones that don't tend to have a dozen or so in the same tier.
Hmm, you registered for AnimeSuki six years and a month ago. Did you sign up here to talk about Fate, out of curiosity?
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-25, 19:28   Link #667
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post

Hmm, you registered for AnimeSuki six years and a month ago. Did you sign up here to talk about Fate, out of curiosity?
I think I signed up for the Animesaimoe tournament, which lead to the International saimoe tournament, which lead to here.

Fate was probably somewhere in that equation, since she was in both tournaments at the time.

Yeah...off-topic.
Old 2013-03-25, 19:33   Link #668
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
Yeah...off-topic.
No it's not! This is a thread about a piece of media from the Nanoha franchise, and we're talking about a Nanoha character, so it's completely on-topic.
Old 2013-03-25, 19:40   Link #669
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Quote:
No it's not! This is a thread about a piece of media from the Nanoha franchise, and we're talking about a Nanoha character, so it's completely on-topic.
Eh, I kind of agree with Demi. on this one.

Talking about Haru or when Demi. joined AS *IS* off-topic.

Old 2013-03-25, 19:47   Link #670
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Eh, I kind of agree with Demi. on this one.

Talking about Haru or when Demi. joined AS *IS* off-topic.
I know, I was just kidding <3

On-topic, the Fate Nanoha training scene was actually one of my favorite bits of the movie. Very atmospheric and well-choreographed.

What if in a Director's Cut version they add an extra few seconds to that scene where

Spoiler:
Old 2013-03-25, 19:51   Link #671
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

No. Because that would have made the movie even worse.

Point of fact, when I watched A's, I was like "that was so awesome, must see the next season right nao!"

As for this movie, I was like "urgh, will this thing EVER end already" through a good chunk of it.

Old 2013-03-25, 20:04   Link #672
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

The movie was just fine when you get over the first half hour.

To me that is the biggest problem
Old 2013-03-25, 20:05   Link #673
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

It does pick up, at about 50 minutes in when it starts to focus on the Wolkenritter and Hayate's home life.

Old 2013-03-25, 20:12   Link #674
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

Not just there, but I agree those are nice scenes. Nanoha and Fate's interactions aren't bad, just handle bad and while the focus is heavy on Fate I don't belive that is something that takes away from the original where Nanoha had a reduced role in this story.
Old 2013-03-25, 21:19   Link #675
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Triple_R, think about Chrono in the movie... He got shafted because of a few things, like how he sealed his emotions up at age 3 and it NEVER got addressed again (really, what was the point of bringing it up?),
Isn't it obvious that Chrono is a highly unemotional kid? He's DAB's answer to a 10 year old Bruce Wayne. You don't need Bruce Wayne to go on at length over how much his parents' death affected him. It comes through almost every scene he's in, given his personality. Much the same is true of Chrono. Simply leaning what happened to Chrono's father in this movie says loads in and of itself.

"So that's why Chrono is the way he is..."

Quote:
Kaijo thought up some good ideas how to handle that, ask him. Not to mention his stupidity for not telling his mother about the fact that he was working on the Book of Darkness case.
Maybe he was scared that he'd lose his one remaining parent if he brought her into it. And that's a risk he wasn't willing to take, unless pressed on it by Lindy herself.

I've going to be very frank here - A lot of you guys focus way too much on the purely intellectual side of things. On pure pragmatism and logic. Nobody truly lives purely by pragmatism and logic. Emotions greatly influence people, shake people, and cause people to make questionable decisions at times.

That's why I don't have anywhere near as much problem with how the Wolkenritter acted in this movie as some do. And it's also why I could roll with Chrono's actions.

This movie had tremendous emotional poignancy in my view. I completely agree with Demi there. I don't find it that hard to understand why these characters made the decisions that they did.

Expecting fictional characters to never make mistakes, or act recklessly, or take very questionable actions, is simply silly, imo. Real life people make mistakes, act recklessly, and take very questionable actions all the time. It's part of being human.

What makes a great character is not that character never making mistakes - It's how they respond to the realization that they were mistaken. The Wolkenritter responded by helping to destroy The Book of Darkness Defense Program, by eventually befriending Nanoha and Fate, and by continuing to remain loyal to Hayate. And Chrono responded by agreeing with Lindy's request, and respecting her authority as both his superior and his mom.

Quote:
Triple_R, the training scene with the sticks did NOTHING to add to the movie, at all.
I strongly disagree. I enjoyed it. I found it nice, amusing, and creative. I also thought it was a great tip of the hat to the franchise that spawned Nanoha in the first place (I immediately thought of Nanoha's brother and sister when I saw that training bit). I also loved how it shows that Nanoha and Fate are strong and athletic and good fighters even without the benefit of magic. I think that makes them look more impressive, and more well-rounded as characters. To me, Nanya, this was a "badass" moment itself.

Now, here we have a full paragraph listing several positive qualities to this one short scene. And it didn't take me long at all to write. So frankly, I don't get the impression that the people criticizing this scene even bothered to think about why this scene was put there, or why some people (like myself) might like it.

No, from what I can gather, you just love the Nanoha supporting cast, and hate Nanoha and Fate for not completely rolling over to let the supporting cast be the stars of the entire show. Frankly, that is how many of the complaints on this thread (and on this subforum) come across to me.

Quote:
That's what people are commenting on. Keeping stuff that's pointless in the movie when stuff that was awesome in A's was removed.

Not to mention, Triple_R, Fate's moment at the end of the movie? Where she broke that drill? THAT was pandering to the NanoFate crowd.
I honestly saw that as just making up for the scene of Fate saving Nanoha from Vita getting edited out.
Old 2013-03-25, 21:32   Link #676
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

But they didn't NEED to make up for it! By doing that they took away from nanoha and Hayate BOTH! That's the problem with Fate having her moment then instead of earlier.

Quote:
To me, Nanya, this was a "badass" moment itself.
So, fluff is badass?

Cuz it's completely forgettable and pointless.

Take it out and nothing of value gets lost.

Quote:
No, from what I can gather, you just love the Nanoha supporting cast, and hate Nanoha and Fate for not completely rolling over to let the supporting cast be the stars of the entire show. Frankly, that is how many of the complaints on this thread (and on this subforum) come across to me.
NO! If you read my comments on this thread, you'll notice that a LOT of my complaints are directed towards how Nanoha and Fate are handled, both in what's ON the screen and what's NOT on the screen.

Really, there's no moments of Nanoha being badass, a determinator or even showing that she can be Heroic. Those moments that made her who she was are absent.

Where's the scene in the 1st movie where she realized that because of her screw up someone may have gotten hurt, thus driving her to work harder than ever before so it doesn't happen again?

Wanna know where that was in canon?

In those first few episodes of Season 1 that no one seems to like.

Thus, Nanoha suffered character development by removing them.

Where's Nanoha's awesome moments in this movie? I didn't see any, at all.

Nanoha, in canon, stopped Reinforce when Hayate pinned Reinforce down.

In the movie, she couldn't do a damn thing against Reinforce and had to have Fate bail her out and even then they couldn't do anything until NachtWal took over.

Edit: Yes, I like the supporting cast and I feel that they help flesh the series as a whole out. But the main characters are the main characters, but the problem is, when you remove the supporting cast almost entirely, you find that there's just some things you need a supporting cast for.

Old 2013-03-25, 21:40   Link #677
Dr. Casey

The first few episodes of the original Nanoha series were pretty cool, I enjoyed them. And really, the only part of the entire franchise most of this message board seems to enjoy is Nanoha A's. Kinda wonder why some of the regulars devote so much time to a franchise that apparently hasn't put out anything good for close to a decade.
Old 2013-03-25, 21:40   Link #678
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Demi., I said that I found 3 things that the movie did better than canon.

Lindy's showdown with the Wolkenritter (would have actually made me like the movie more if she did something besides face them down), the showdown with the core of the Book of Darkness, since, as Kaijo said, if it could be spliced into the TV version, A's would have been absolutely perfect, and the visuals.

And I LIKED the fight that Nanoha had with Reinforce, that was pretty awesome, I felt that the TV version was better, but Nanoha vs Reinforce was the best part of the movie (not that THAT'S saying much).

Arf and Lindy talking was nice as well, I happened to like that, even if I didn't mention it before.
Oh hey, reasons for me to watch the movie.
Sunder the Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-25, 21:43   Link #679
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Quote:
The first few episodes of the original Nanoha series were pretty cool, I enjoyed them. And really, the only part of the entire franchise most of this message board seems to enjoy is Nanoha A's. Kinda wonder why some of the regulars devote so much time to a franchise that apparently hasn't put out anything good for close to a decade.
StrikerS was my favorite animated season, you take that back! XP

Old 2013-03-25, 21:45   Link #680
Dr. Casey

Ah, a StrikerS brother-in-arms. Nice to see someone here with good opinions (rather than the typical 'blah blah dragged out should've been one cour' stuff).