AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-10-21, 00:02   Link #1
JediNight
キズランダム

Kanji in Karaoke -- Thoughts?

Obviously this is my opinion, but does anyone else find kanji in karaoke pointless? 99.8% of people watching aren't going to be able to read the kanji. It also chokes out more screen space for no reason.

It seems to me its another one of those gee-whiz fads that got out-of-hand like Watermarks a few years ago. At the start of digisubs everyone included a Group Watermark tag as it was "gee whiz golly" cool. Then someone figures out they can add kanji to karaoke and BAM "gee whiz golly, look at that KANJI in the Karaoke!" was born. From there everyone has to keep up with the Jones' and adds it in as well.

Can anyone give a good reason for kanji to be included? I can't come up with one. (Then on a sidenote are karaoke with so many textsub effects its possible to actually follow as karaoke, but thats for another thread ^^;
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 00:14   Link #2
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

I've now lost count over how many times someone has made a thread about this...

They put it in, the best you can do is deal with it. If it is a 'fad' as you say then they'll all stop doing it eventually and you'll have nothing to worry about. Unless the text is loaded with flashy karaoke effects, the little bit of the screen the kanji consumes is of little significance and you're not missing much.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 00:22   Link #3
choia

This wouldn't be an issue if they just stuck it on a separate language track. They could do the same for romanji lines also. As creative as some groups get in trying to jam three long lines of text in one screen, it would go a long way in uncluttering the screen if they just stuck to one language.
choia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 00:39   Link #4
Somedude

I enjoy kanji in the karaoke, and maintain that if anything needs to be left out, it's the romaji.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choia
This wouldn't be an issue if they just stuck it on a separate language track. They could do the same for romanji lines also. As creative as some groups get in trying to jam three long lines of text in one screen, it would go a long way in uncluttering the screen if they just stuck to one language.
Karaoke and advanced effects don't really render well in a softsub. Too processor intensive, even for a lot of the newer computers.
Somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 00:42   Link #5
jpwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by choia
Most groups don't even release in a format that allows multi-track subs. But honestly, I don't think it's that big of a problem, if you want a clean and clear intro, download the raw, or get someone with the raw to rip the intro and endings of the show for you. Or better yet, when (if) it becomes available, buy the DVD.
jpwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 00:47   Link #6
ChoBaka
Semi-retired Translator

Kanji in karaoke looks so very, very cool. Better than the translation or romaji ever do, in fact.
ChoBaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 01:54   Link #7
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight
Can anyone give a good reason for kanji to be included? I can't come up with one. (Then on a sidenote are karaoke with so many textsub effects its possible to actually follow as karaoke, but thats for another thread ^^;
I actually like kanji in karaoke for one reason. Yep, thats right, its easier to flame the group when they make mistakes . As long as groups put kanji in, i use it to check if they really know what they are doing. (Not that I know all kanji... but if they put in a certain kanji and then write down a different meaning... we know that someone isnt paying attention.) Also, putting in wrong kanji, bogus kanji, etc... you can see how good their qc is . But yes, kanji is mostly pointless for any real practical reason.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 09:05   Link #8
_yeah
poseur

I remember an older AJ release of a certain series that had the lyrics entirely in katakana...

Karaoke effects that violate the entire purpose of karaoke annoy me more than this, though.
_yeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 09:12   Link #9
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somedude
I enjoy kanji in the karaoke, and maintain that if anything needs to be left out, it's the romaji.
I second that. Although I'd need furigana over the kanji at least. I like to see what the kanji is for words I know the pronunciation of. It's interesting.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 09:20   Link #10
Zarxrax
Anime-Fansubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
I second that. Although I'd need furigana over the kanji at least. I like to see what the kanji is for words I know the pronunciation of. It's interesting.
Why do you need furigana when you have romanji ??

I personally like the japanese karaoke because it makes good reading practice for those who are actually learning japanese.
Zarxrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 09:46   Link #11
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarxrax
Why do you need furigana when you have romanji ??

I personally like the japanese karaoke because it makes good reading practice for those who are actually learning japanese.
Because the kanji + kana is already there also. I don't need romaji for the kana. Eliminate the whole romaji line and just put furigana over the kanji. Takes up less space.

That's just me, though. I guess most people who want to know how to pronounce the Japanese will need the romaji. It doesn't bother me that it's there.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 12:00   Link #12
crumja
AnimeONE Do-It-All

T_T I read the japanese line for karaokes. Hehe, guess we aren't 0.2% anymore =P.

Oyea, romaji should be scrapped from karaokes.
crumja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 13:08   Link #13
ichido reichan

if you ask me, the whole karaoke thing is a waste of time, yes you can play stupid and sing along the song before your show starts, but I would much prefer a translation for the song and sing it myself without watching a screen.

If I want to learn the lyrics, I get the lirycs on paper and memorize it, then I can sing along with a cd to myself or my friends when we are doing a party.

But for the karaoke fans is kinda annoying, because I could put random kanjis and just the 20% of the fans will know Im lying, but not the rest.

plus I always think how many japanese people watch the fansub shows...
ichido reichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 14:01   Link #14
Uska
Guardian of the Seal

Send a message via AIM to Uska Send a message via Yahoo to Uska
I just do it for fun. I like doing it, much like karaoke, as useless as you may think it is. I like clean intros, I like flashy effects, either way is cool.
Uska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 14:36   Link #15
SCR512
Ayu/Eclipse Semi-Slave

Send a message via AIM to SCR512
The whole reason we do it is to irk Anime nazis like your self... so you are forced to bitch and complain on anime dedicated froums. Then fansubbers like my self sit here and read this crap and laugh.. because our viewers have nothing better to do than whine about Kanji in karaoke in free fansubs..

Yes all of us here officaly have no fscking lives.. so we make kanji sfx in karaoke in the hopes that one of our viewers will flame us back.

Fansubbing "r00lz"
SCR512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 14:43   Link #16
Somedude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCR512
The whole reason we do it is to irk Anime nazis like your self... so you are forced to bitch and complain on anime dedicated froums. Then fansubbers like my self sit here and read this crap and laugh.. because our viewers have nothing better to do than whine about Kanji in karaoke in free fansubs..

Yes all of us here officaly have no fscking lives.. so we make kanji sfx in karaoke in the hopes that one of our viewers will flame us back.

Fansubbing "r00lz"
Shh... Don't give away all the fansubbing secrets!
Somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 15:19   Link #17
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight
Because 5000 years from now, some scientist will discover a fansub on a lost lost CD or DVD and thereby the key to translate japanese to english and back. Just like that Rosetta stone we found in Egypt

PS For those who don't know what the Rosetta stone is : it was a stone discovered in Egypt which had the same text written on it in hieroglyphs and other languages, it proved to be the key to deciphering the ancient egyptian language.
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 15:43   Link #18
SCR512
Ayu/Eclipse Semi-Slave

Send a message via AIM to SCR512
ROFL

SCR512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 17:27   Link #19
JediNight
キズランダム

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCR512

Fansubbing "r00lz"
Ano.... and what exactly does this contribute to the thread? At least everyone else had something constructive to say, even if some of them don't agree with me. I don't expect people to know my name, but I have been involved in digisubbing since right near the beginning, so please be mindful that not everyone is just a "leecher" complaining.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 17:49   Link #20
7thMethuselah

I like them for the artistic/esthetic value. Personally I'm fascinated by Kanji and I love to read along with the intro's. It's also an excellent way to practice my kanji.

Are kanji needed in intro's? Probably not, but I love them and wouldn't want them out !
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote