AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kannagi

Notices

Old 2011-10-25, 10:45   Link #81
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
From the Sankaku Complex reports, it seems that seiyuu who happen upon "instant fame" like the K-ON! seiyuu are most subject to this virginity obsession. [...] I have to wonder how this lopsided attention comes about.
Well, again, impossible to answer this with straight facts, but the older a celebrity becomes, the less likely they are to remain single, and once the illusion has been crushed, the obsessed fans may move on to another target. The "instant starlets" are the least likely to have been "already corrupted", as it were.

Quote:
But I could never understand how the fantasy of "being the star's first" came about. It seems like a rather severre disconnect with reality. You don't know them aside from a childish obsession, and they don't know you. Why would that be a good foundation for an intimate romantic relationship?
Well, the fan may feel that they understand the celebrity quite well, so they may believe there's a good foundation for a relationship if only the celebrity would only give them a chance. A lot of Japanese romantic fiction aimed at this market features "chance encounters" and "mismatched status" and relationships that work out in spite of major differences (we may even call this sort of fantasy "romantic" in other contexts, and it too isn't unique to Japan). That aside, crazy is crazy; the celebrity image is just as manufactured as the personality of a 2D character. It's because many recognize that it's crazy and unreasonable that it turned into something of a meme to make fun of these people and their creepy and childish obsession (but the meme is such that you may think these feelings are actually more widespread than they really are).

Anyway, like I said, to discuss this further, we should probably create a new thread, as it's pretty much impossible to answer this sort of question with straight facts. At the end of the day, I think the key point to remember as it relates to Kannagi is that this was, for the most part, a manufactured "fiasco" put on by a group of troublemakers furthering a meme. While there may be some people who really have those sorts of feelings, they are by no means representative of all "otaku".
Old 2011-10-26, 01:52   Link #82
Mazryonh

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, again, impossible to answer this with straight facts, but the older a celebrity becomes, the less likely they are to remain single, and once the illusion has been crushed, the obsessed fans may move on to another target. The "instant starlets" are the least likely to have been "already corrupted", as it were.
How old is "too old" I wonder? I suspect like the trope of the Japanese "Christmas Cake," 30 is the cutoff point for otaku obsessed with female seiyuus. Unless you have the fame of Nana Mizuki, I think it's rare that female seiyuus over the age of 30 are pursued in the way that Sankaku Complex reports.

Quote:
A lot of Japanese romantic fiction aimed at this market features "chance encounters" and "mismatched status" and relationships that work out in spite of major differences (we may even call this sort of fantasy "romantic" in other contexts, and it too isn't unique to Japan).
Now that's another divorce from reality. Surely the Japanese know how much work relationships are to maintain in order to keep the original affection going, don't they? How about "a common ground" to start the relationship, not just obsession with details about their personal life? I shudder to think what must be happening to Japan if what Sankaku Complex frequently reports about the results of surveys determining what Japanese women want (generally translated to "Money, Money, Money") is in fact true. This isn't the "Miracle 80s" in Japan, people! This is the "never-ending lost decade"!

Quote:
That aside, crazy is crazy; the celebrity image is just as manufactured as the personality of a 2D character.
I understand the "manufactured image" as it applies to people like rock stars, in the terms of their on-stage persona and how they are marketed. But how is it different for seiyuu that gets fans so screechingly obnoxious about it? Are younger seiyuu constantly promoted as innocent virginal girls? I wonder how the otaku are treating Kana Hanazawa, one of the more prolific "moe" seiyuus . . .

In any case, I posted here because I wanted to find out whether Eri Takenashi had ceased work on the manga because those stabby former "fans" had threatened or actually endangered her personal safety. I'm not sure just where a thread about otaku obsession with seiyuu would go, frankly, though I'm sure a lot of us would like to know just who is most susceptible or the like. I don't hear people screeching about Miyuki Sawashiro, for instance, despite her starring role in Rozen Maiden or in Kannagi.
Mazryonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-26, 04:21   Link #83
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You're confusing *some* japanese for *the* Japanese. We're talking a very small subset of dysfunctional obsessive "fans" (I use the term loosely because I think it insults most otaku to be grouped with this extreme fringe much like many other subcultures). These few extremists don't *have* a clue about healthy relationships and their antics make other hobbyists embarrassed to admit their hobby.

At one point, I wondered if the "virgin idol" was some deviant incarnation of the "virgin shrine maiden" archetype but I've dropped that theory after analysis -- we're purely dealing with people who might be characterized as having social function disorders and bordering on mental illness. Couple that with a large group of trolls who simply enjoy the mayhem of pretending to be outraged by seiyuu being human beings and amplifying the hate ... and you get puerile nonsense like the Kannagi incident or this sporadic "omg, she's a 3d girl and I won't be her first!" lunacy.

The internet tends to magnify the apparent numbers of this rather small group of dysfunctionals and their trollish emulators. No one, famous or not, should have to tolerate this infantile bullshit.

Takenashi claimed it was for "health reasons" but the evidence looks pretty good that the droolers and trolls had sucked her desire to create a story with their hatemail, threats, and generally dishonorable behavior.

Relentless was pretty thorough in describing the various players in this nonsense and why some seiyuu seem to escape while others are brutalized by 'bad behavior from obsessives'.
Old 2011-10-26, 21:30   Link #84
Mazryonh

No, I didn't say that all Japanese got stabby over the Kannagi virginity fiasco. I said that things like religious attitudes exalting virginity don't appear to exist commonly throughout Japan (it isn't an Islamic theocracy, for instance). I didn't mean to imply that the Japanese got involved in virginity fiascos.

I'm still confused; was Eri Takenashi stalked or physically confronted/assaulted for her "indiscretion"? People who are deranged enough to do that are by no means unheard of, as Nana Mizuki and Mai Kadowaki learned to their cost. In any case, I hope Takenashi recovers from this quickly enough to finish the series and allow more episodes of the Kannagi anime to be made.
Old 2011-10-27, 12:00   Link #85
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Now that's another divorce from reality. Surely the Japanese know how much work relationships are to maintain in order to keep the original affection going, don't they? How about "a common ground" to start the relationship, not just obsession with details about their personal life? I shudder to think what must be happening to Japan if what Sankaku Complex frequently reports about the results of surveys determining what Japanese women want (generally translated to "Money, Money, Money") is in fact true. This isn't the "Miracle 80s" in Japan, people! This is the "never-ending lost decade"!
Well, two things here:

1. You have to allow a little bit for romantic fantasy. I'm sure most people are well aware of how difficult it is to make a relationship work and just how much it costs. But some people still have a dream of having a "fairytale romance", whether that's with a celebrity, someone who's rich, or whatever... even if they know that isn't realistic. When people vote on these "surveys", they're talking about what they're dreaming of, not what they'd settle for.

2. Consider the source. That website's business model is to gain readership by constantly drawing at the well of the most sensationalist conversations on 2ch. Their goal is certainly not to provide balanced coverage of the challenges facing Japan's young adult population.

Anyway, breaking through the social barriers to get to know someone's true self is not easy. This is why a lot of romantic fantasy also focuses on things like childhood friends and half-siblings and so on -- it's an excuse to already be close to someone without having to go through all the work of breaking the ice. (Even in this very work: the two main heroines are a goddess met through a fated encounter and the protagonist's childhood friend. ) Again, it's not as if people don't know how much work it is in reality, but these unrealistic fantasies are supposed to be in contrast to reality (that's why they're fantasies). Nobody's dream is "I hope to go twenty years working hard to meet someone, getting rejected more times than I can count, until finally settling with someone I can merely tolerate because my biological clock is ticking and this is the best I'm probably ever going to get". All this is even setting aside the few "crazies" who take innocent/normal dreams/fantasies too far.

Anyway, that aside, I don't think there were any reports that Eri Takenashi was physically assaulted, but it was mostly emotional/psychological taunting and attacks, such as death threats and the like. To an artist who depends on their creativity to work, that can likely be as devastating. But in the end, whatever additional medical conditions she may have had have been kept private.
Old 2011-10-30, 02:19   Link #86
Mazryonh

Quote:
Even in this very work: the two main heroines are a goddess met through a fated encounter and the protagonist's childhood friend.
I'm a fan of Hakua myself. But sometimes the creators take the ire of fans and turn it right back at them, like Hideaki Anno did with End of Evangelion. Maybe Eri Takenashi could do something like that, such as incorporate a stupid character who wants to be Nagi's boyfriend no matter what.
Old 2012-12-15, 06:22   Link #87
Haiprbim
Banned

Hello.

I am a really big fan of Kannagi Anime.

It only released 13 Episodes (2 runs) as the Anime, but it released 7 runs as Manga.

I have read all around about the creators illness, and how Anime stopped airing. (Wikipedia, ...)

My question is, will the Anime continue that was left alone since 2008?
I would really like to get an answer, because 4 years of no activity may mean that there will be no further episodes.

Edit: In short, if you know, please tell me if we can expect any new Anime episodes after a long break.

Thank-you!
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-15, 19:54   Link #88
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by P3tr View Post
Hello.

I am a really big fan of Kannagi Anime.

It only released 13 Episodes (2 runs) as the Anime, but it released 7 runs as Manga.

I have read all around about the creators illness, and how Anime stopped airing. (Wikipedia, ...)

My question is, will the Anime continue that was left alone since 2008?
I would really like to get an answer, because 4 years of no activity may mean that there will be no further episodes.

Edit: In short, if you know, please tell me if we can expect any new Anime episodes after a long break.

Thank-you!
There's been no word. But we can look at anime industry behavior. If the publishers think they can generate buzz and sell enough product, there will be more anime -- BUT publishers have a strong tendency to steer towards the "Next New Thing" in choosing what to animate.

I have a half dozen series I'd love to see more seasons of, but after a few years I'm generally not getting too optimistic.
Old 2012-12-16, 04:50   Link #89
Haiprbim
Banned

I see, thank-you.
Old 2012-12-16, 06:15   Link #90
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Yeah, I don't want to give false hopes. The end of the first season just screamed for a follow-on second season. But the manga story itself has gotten pretty complicated (in addition to the hiatus problems, the story itself). Complicated translates to hard to adapt/compress/summarize without pissing fans off.

There's been a trend to have a season that synchronizes with the last book of a manga (e.g. Toradora!) because that creates buzz and sales. We'll see.
Old 2012-12-22, 10:30   Link #91
Haiprbim
Banned

Yeah, we shall see.

However, unlike let's say Clannad, Kannagi Manga is still in making, so there still might be some chance.
It also did not have a strong ending.

Hmph, hope they will even want to get on it after 5 years...
Old 2013-05-15, 07:47   Link #92
Haiprbim
Banned

It's been quite some time since anyone has posted in the Kannagi forum section.
Anyhow, continuing the discussion regaridng the Second Season coming or not, I now strongly think that there will be no SS.
The Manga chapters are getting released more or less slowly, and I do not think they are getting much attention. Plus, the First Season aired almost 5 years ago, so summing up the chances, they are pretty slim.

Eh, it is just that feeling when one of your favourite anime series only gets a half-season and no more. :/
I really hope I'm not the only one who still stares at the Kannagi Wallpapers for hours.
Old 2013-05-28, 23:18   Link #93
Bakaizer
Demon Hunter

is the manga still ongoing?

Tags
q&a