AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-05-14, 04:22   Link #1
lavielove

Is it ok to neglect OFP(Online Fanarts Protection) ?

Is OFP only applied to Japan ? Even if it so, is it ok to neglect OFP and make the wallpapers out of the original illustrations ? I did even saw some of the people making the wallpapers out from the artworks of the illustrators and trying to make money. Please share your views. Flaming is not nessasary.

REF: ttp://www.geocities.jp/shiwasutakashi/

REF: ttp://www.big.or.jp/%7Eyoshio/

Last edited by lavielove; 2006-05-14 at 04:41.
lavielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-14, 07:56   Link #2
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Making wallpapers out of copyrighted pictures you like is what I would call fair use.

Trying to make a profit from these isn't what I would call fair use.

This is rather hypocritical actually, considering that they usually don't own the characters or whatever which are depicted.

Would an artist object to the appreciation and adoration of their works, regardless of where it happens, or are these simply egomaniacs?
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-14, 09:07   Link #3
Cruzz
Europeon

I'd say what irks japanese artists the most is that people rarely if ever give any credit towards the original artist. Anyway, if the artist specifically states that they don't want their artwork used for anything else, what makes you think it's "ok" to ignore that wish? I find that attitude to be odd to say the least.
Cruzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-14, 10:29   Link #4
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

As an artist with a web site of my own, all I can say on this matter is that I don't have a problem if someone took one of my pictures and made a wallpaper or whatever out of it. That's fine.

What isn't fine is when they start claiming they're the ones who drew the picture. Or making money off it, etc. I think most people don't realize how much work actually goes into some pictures. They look at it "Oh that's nice." for about 5 seconds then walk off. So...we spend countless hours for people to look at it for a few seconds.

So I guess what I'm saying here is, is that it depends on the artist. Some are pretty elitist in a sense they don't want "amateurs" using their pics to make crappy wallpapers. And if that's what they want I think you should respect their wishes.

As I said, I don't have a problem as long as you don't steal/make money. And if you are doing that I'll find you and break your legs.
Old 2006-05-14, 11:14   Link #5
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Well, I'm kind of with you here Kiva128, in that I'm always annoyed when someone puts "(C) SUPERKAWAIICHAN" or whatever on a wallpaper when all they did was to place a picture someone else drew to the right of a Photoshop filter bash and scale it to 1600x1200.
srb is offline   Reply With Quote