AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-09-10, 00:41   Link #1
Mitiun

Homunculus Symbol

Hi, i'm looking for the homunculus symbol, i already have one(the one in my avatar), but i want a better one, because i'm thinking on getting a tatoo of that symbol, so i need it to be big and if is not to much in black and white...

Thanks a lot to averyone....

See you all later.....
Old 2004-09-10, 05:09   Link #2
yami-chan
~FMAddiction

Send a message via MSN to yami-chan
it's the only good version i had..unfortunately is black and white...

http://www.animexclusive.com/forum_u...1094811953.jpg
Old 2004-09-10, 05:44   Link #3
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Holy Knight recently knocked together a hi-res version here
Old 2004-09-17, 22:34   Link #4
TheBruce

You might want to do some research before you permenantly tattoo a symbol onto your body...

The Uroburos is more than just a cool drawing used in a japanese anime. Its one of the most powerful symbols in history and you would be wise to research it before deciding if you want to place it on your body because it looked cool in a japanese anime. heh
Old 2004-09-19, 17:37   Link #5
Moon The Cat
Hoi!

I got curious and did some research, and I still can't find a good reason to not tattoo the symbol in your body. It just looks cool.
Old 2004-09-22, 03:47   Link #6
WristBandMan

The ouroboros has several meanings interwoven into it. Foremost is the symbolism of the serpent biting, devouring, eating its own tail. This symbolises the cyclic Nature of the Universe: creation out of destruction, Life out of Death. The ouroboros eats its own tail to sustain its life, in an eternal cycle of renewal.
In the above drawing, from a book by an early Alchemist, Cleopatra, the black half symbolises the Night, Earth, and the destructive force of nature, yin. the light half represents Day, Heaven, the generative, creative force, yang.
Alchemically, the ouroboros is also used as a purifying glyph.

more

The snake has played a major role in the magic and mythology of almost every culture, as few animals are regarded with more awe and reverence. Because the snake sheds its skin each year and appears renewed, it is a symbol of life, death and rebirth. Since they often nest underground, snakes have long been symbolic of the dead returning to the upper world.
The act of shedding skin, of sliding out of the old and being reborn, gives the snake a transformative symbology. The Greeks customarily used the snake as an emblem of healing through wisdom. It also has symbolism with the Great Mother, intuitive wisdom, and feminine mysteries.
Old 2004-09-24, 05:42   Link #7
rvnlrd
homunculus

Send a message via ICQ to rvnlrd Send a message via MSN to rvnlrd
I remember seeing the symbol in vector a while ago but now I can't find it. Anyone know where it is?
Old 2004-09-24, 18:35   Link #8
Tae
Oh reeeeally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WristBandMan
The act of shedding skin, of sliding out of the old and being reborn, gives the snake a transformative symbology. The Greeks customarily used the snake as an emblem of healing through wisdom. It also has symbolism with the Great Mother, intuitive wisdom, and feminine mysteries.
No offense, but it sounds like the beginnings of a good pickup line with the tattoo...
Old 2004-11-25, 11:27   Link #9
e2-
Genius!

Exclamation Homunculus symbol

ok ok ok ok ok

Last edited by e2-; 2004-11-26 at 06:59.
Old 2004-11-26, 07:00   Link #10
e2-
Genius!

I am jsut curious what does the star in the middle of the snake mean ?
Old 2004-11-26, 21:39   Link #11
janmurphy
but the soul still burns!

Send a message via MSN to janmurphy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WristBandMan
The ouroboros has several meanings interwoven into it. Foremost is the symbolism of the serpent biting, devouring, eating its own tail. This symbolises the cyclic Nature of the Universe: creation out of destruction, Life out of Death. The ouroboros eats its own tail to sustain its life, in an eternal cycle of renewal
You know I remember first hearing about the meaning of the snake eating its tail in an episode of Red Dwarf, isnt it odd where we pick up information?
I wonder how many people have learned new things from researching symbols in anime, an all because it was something that 'looked cool' I think its pretty great.

In an aside, I have a page dedicated to FMA symbols, this one isnt up yet, but I have it scanned and ready to post, so it will be within the week.
http://www.bakachan.com/cosplay/coshelp/prints/fma.htm

EDIT: The Homunculus symbol is up on the fma page now. =)

And also I can answer the question about what the triangles in the middle are. They are obviously the TRI FORCE!! heeee

Last edited by janmurphy; 2004-11-27 at 03:20.
Old 2004-12-01, 23:23   Link #12
Genesis_13

What's kind of strange is that I see 2 different versions of the homunculus symbol, 1 from the manga and 1 from the anime....

The snake and the wings are the same from both anime and manga, but the triangles in the middle (from the anime) used to be the Star of David shape (from the manga), with just the simple lines. I'm not sure if that has any significance, since the star of David was probably used in different things too.... but anyway, you might want to look at both versions.
Closed Thread