AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 26 26.80%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 43.30%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 18 18.56%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.15%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.09%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.03%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 2.06%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-02, 10:46   Link #121
errorrrr

the reason Konata resemble a lot of the viewers is clear... Konata resembles a normal anime viewer, and the normal anime viewer watches Konata resemble a normal anime viewer... of course there are similarity between habits, and hobbies, and stuff.
Old 2007-05-02, 11:43   Link #122
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by errorrrr View Post
the reason Konata resemble a lot of the viewers is clear... Konata resembles a normal anime viewer, and the normal anime viewer watches Konata resemble a normal anime viewer... of course there are similarity between habits, and hobbies, and stuff.
hence the gag that it can grasp the heart of an otaku ~ the way konata pushed back her study was like a piece of art...in that i do exactally the same thing XD sometimes the 30 minutes never come about :X

tonnes of referrences in this ep O.o i found it quite amusing that brought the haruhi armband for kagami and and a 2heart uniform for tsukasa...just show how much she wants to annoy kagami

and i loled when she talked about the nagato ep ~ so is koyani taking a jab at themselves

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-05-02, 11:51   Link #123
errorrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
hence the gag that it can grasp the heart of an otaku ~ the way konata pushed back her study was like a piece of art...in that i do exactally the same thing XD sometimes the 30 minutes never come about :X

tonnes of referrences in this ep O.o i found it quite amusing that brought the haruhi armband for kagami and and a 2heart uniform for tsukasa...just show how much she wants to annoy kagami

and i loled when she talked about the nagato ep ~ so is koyani taking a jab at themselves
also, i am pretty sure you got the irony when kagami went and said "i think it suits you better." which indeed is very ironic; as aya hirano plays konata, gives the haruhi armband to kagami, just to have kagami say that konata is more suited which is indeed true because Aya also does play haruhi XD
Old 2007-05-02, 11:55   Link #124
Level E
みwiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
Please tell me that's not an analog connector. Blasphemy!
Izumi family doesn't have cable. FYI

Spoiler for Somewhat of a spoiler, I guess:

Quote:
Spoiler for bandwidth:

Eh?
That's Yamakan - I think.
Old 2007-05-02, 13:46   Link #125
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post

Sorry, Kona-chan, but I'm gonna have to disagree with you here.
The translation is wrong. She said "There's not much difference between our school's uniform."
Old 2007-05-02, 14:33   Link #126
Boukenxha

One of my favourite scene in ep 4 has to be the one where Konata swings her feet to hit each other when reading manga on her bed. That and the sound effect makes it so cute!! Not that I've watched alot, but I don't think I've ever seen it done in an anime before, serious!

Just wondering, has anyone been able to identify the female figurines in Konata's room? Or have the Japanese fans decided that they are just random background art not modeled after existing figurines?

Btw, check out the real kani fan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Level E View Post
Hmm... if that's him, he looks like he is in his 40s when he is just 32 years old.
Old 2007-05-02, 15:16   Link #127
Tatsumiko
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
No joke! Observe: [LC]Lucky Star Ep 4

I just watched it, and just based off of LC's sub, I can give this ep a 9 but I'm going to wait for a.f.k.'s sub to make my final judgment. As to the subs themselves, I thought that some of the word choices could've been better, and it probably wouldn't hurt to go through the editing pass one more time.

Thank you
Old 2007-05-02, 15:27   Link #128
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
I think it's probably Ishihara Tatsuya, the director of AIR, Suzumiya Haruhi, and Kanon (and Clannad). Left-hand pics from 2channel:

The bottom left photo says "Ishihara Tatsuya." At right is a photo of Yamakan with Hirano Aya.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-05-02 at 16:11.
Old 2007-05-02, 15:35   Link #129
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
IT BEGINS BADABADA BADA!

Spoiler:

I think the episode is 8 material. I bumped it up to a 9 for the incredibly funny 2chan joke, but I'll have to take off .5 for every future Lucky Channel segment and in this episodes case, for the reused jokes. Still by far the best episode. It's a shame that just as the series was hitting it's stride the director get's canned. Hope it wasn't because of the 2chan joke and the upper ranks in Kyoto Animation feel they should catter more to the fanbase and not poke fun at them. That would be kind of lame. If there's anything I can recommend to the new director though if I were in a position of power, it would be to drop the incredibly unfunny and time wasting Lucky Channel segments and devote the extra time to the main cast.

Anyway 8+1-0.5-0.5= 8 out of 10 from me. Though I almost died from all the fanservice segments in this episode. From the preview it looks like the next episode may put me down for good with all the summer fun. Better not take your hands off that skirt in front of the fan Konata.
Old 2007-05-02, 16:24   Link #130
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher

Well, with the subs Mayumi's poster in Konata's room makes sense now; The "Flat Chested Girls Unite!" spirit.

Oh, Konata...
Old 2007-05-02, 17:53   Link #131
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Lol, this was a Konata episode and it was great. She's totally like a guy trapped inside a girls body from habits, personality and reasoning.
Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-02, 19:15   Link #132
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Ooh. This is my favorite episode so far.

There were a lot of good LOLOL moments. I love that Kuroi-sensei knew exactly what Kona-chan was talking about... and I am especially fond of Kona-chan complaining about a budget-saving Nagato scene, when only moments later, there is a budget-saving scene in Lucky*Star.

The show continues to drop tiny hints here and there about Izumi-chichi...

Something cliché that I would still really love to see is Kona-chan reading the Lucky*Star manga, or listening to the radio show. Heck, watching herself in the Lucky*Star anime. It'd be even better if she commented how closely Kagami/Tsukasa/Miyuki resembles a character on it, and how she doesn't resemble any of the characters at all.

(LC lost mondo amounts of points with me for this episode, BTW. Meh desu. I'm glad I watched the raw first. :x )
Old 2007-05-02, 19:38   Link #133
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
Ooh. This is my favorite episode so far.

There were a lot of good LOLOL moments. I love that Kuroi-sensei knew exactly what Kona-chan was talking about... and I am especially fond of Kona-chan complaining about a budget-saving Nagato scene, when only moments later, there is a budget-saving scene in Lucky*Star.

The show continues to drop tiny hints here and there about Izumi-chichi...

Something cliché that I would still really love to see is Kona-chan reading the Lucky*Star manga, or listening to the radio show. Heck, watching herself in the Lucky*Star anime. It'd be even better if she commented how closely Kagami/Tsukasa/Miyuki resembles a character on it, and how she doesn't resemble any of the characters at all.

(LC lost mondo amounts of points with me for this episode, BTW. Meh desu. I'm glad I watched the raw first. :x )
Wouldn't that cause an existential breakdown resulting in the end of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and peripheral 4th wall in the Lucky Star universe as we know it.
Old 2007-05-02, 20:41   Link #134
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher

I was running a search on episode 4 and ran into this bit which may or may not be a reference:

Tiffany Bag?

Rich Miyuki is rich .

Source and other bits here.
Old 2007-05-02, 20:43   Link #135
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo_N View Post
I was running a search on episode 4 and ran into this bit which may or may not be a reference:

Tiffany Bag?

Rich Miyuki is rich .

Source and other bits here.
Where's the logo? It just looks like a green gift bag. In fact I think I have one that looks just like that in my basement and it's not from Tiffanies.
Old 2007-05-02, 21:00   Link #136
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

Oh... nice catch. It probably is, since that color is a registered trademark (Yeah, learned a few years back in an undergrad Intellectual Property class that colors can be trademarked...)
Old 2007-05-02, 21:18   Link #137
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahl_moon View Post
Oh... nice catch. It probably is, since that color is a registered trademark (Yeah, learned a few years back in an undergrad Intellectual Property class that colors can be trademarked...)
I tested it and the colours are close enough that I guess it's a match. Hope Kyoto Animation payed up or that Tiffanies doesn't find out. I've heard they can be vicious.
Old 2007-05-02, 23:20   Link #138
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I've watched this episode three times now (raw, Chinese sub, English sub) and the line that never fails to force a chuckle out of me is : "Iku." (Konata saying "I'm coming" on the phone after hearing about the cookies.) Hirano Aya's tight little delivery is just so perfect.
The real beauty, of course, is in the slight pause just before she says it. Gives the viewer enough time to imagine her mind shifting gears from "It's hot and I don't want to go anywhere" to "I'm hungry and there's free food at the Hiiragis'". That's classic comedy there.

Quote:
And yes, like others, I enjoyed ep4 of LS best. Perhaps we're just getting used to it. Perhaps the show is really finding its rhythm, as has been said.
Thing is, all the jokes in this episode were set up in previous shows. I don't think it would be as funny if it had been shown first.

Spoiler:

And they're not just reusing the same jokes. They're continuations. A joke will start in one episode, and there's a psuedo-punchline right away. But the real gag doesn't complete until a later episode. There were a few set-ups in this episode, like summer vacations. And some of the jokes, like Konata playing erogames will be a running gag throughout the series.

I think they messed up the exam cram joke, though. It would make more sense if this week's joke was delivered before the one in episode 2. Konata first says she leaves her books at school. Then we later see her packing them all to cram with. That's when Kagami makes the challenge.

But just as I type that I realise that the order may have been switched on purpose as yet another Haruhi reference... and thus my brain cells will now start dripping out my ears.

Quote:
Izumi family doesn't have cable. FYI
There's broadcast digital in Japan, isn't there? And what about her PS2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
The translation is wrong. She said "There's not much difference between our school's uniform."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I think it's probably Ishihara Tatsuya, the director of AIR, Suzumiya Haruhi, and Kanon (and Clannad).
Still doesn't explain what he's doing in the episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Still doesn't make much sense that Konata is suddenly the uber-singer. What a shock apparently Kagami is a good singer as well.
At least she stayed in-character.

(new avatar, new sig, new romaji user title because vb hates unicode)
Old 2007-05-02, 23:41   Link #139
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

I'm not about to scroll back through six pages worth of summaries to check, but did no one else notice that the teacher began her sentence with 'uguu' after Konata's taiyaki story?

Wasn't this episode directed by the old director? I wonder if they canned him for the 'budget-saving technique' and subsequent flamewar bit. I sure hope not, because given KyoAni's track record for self-parody, that'd be awfully uptight.
Old 2007-05-02, 23:52   Link #140
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
I'm not about to scroll back through six pages worth of summaries to check, but did no one else notice that the teacher began her sentence with 'uguu' after Konata's taiyaki story?

Wasn't this episode directed by the old director? I wonder if they canned him for the 'budget-saving technique' and subsequent flamewar bit. I sure hope not, because given KyoAni's track record for self-parody, that'd be awfully uptight.
I mulled over that theory in my episode summary post actually. It's something we may find out. If the show suddenly adopts a less critical view of otakuism or there is a sudden drop in the companies humility then it might be true.
Closed Thread