AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2011-08-30, 12:21   Link #1
Pebamama

How to remove my Video cards fan

Hi , my video card is REALLY dusty and it overheats causing problems when i play for more than 1 hour .

My card is this ->
http://www.google.gr/imgres?q=asus+e...w=1440&bih=665

It has some black ruber thingies with metal springs . When i try to spin them to remove them nothing happens.
How do i remove the fan??
Pebamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 15:02   Link #2
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebamama View Post
Hi , my video card is REALLY dusty and it overheats causing problems when i play for more than 1 hour .

My card is this ->
http://www.google.gr/imgres?q=asus+e...w=1440&bih=665

It has some black ruber thingies with metal springs . When i try to spin them to remove them nothing happens.
How do i remove the fan??
1) Why do you want to remove the fan? Is it not spinning or is it noisy? If it is dusty then just vacuum it or spray it with compressed air. The dust is retarding the ability of the heat sink to dissipate heat.
2) If the fan (when cleaned) is still insufficiently cooling, look at the airflow around it. Are there cables galore? Are the PCI slot panels ventilated or removed next to the card? Fixing those would help.
3) Case fan.... is there one directly over the video card on the side panel? That would help. Otherwise, is there a large case fan pushing air through the case sufficiently fast? Twin 80mm or a 130mm fan on the front case panel is a minimum, lots of cases have completely inadequate case fans or terrible airflow design. Personally, I like a 130mm or larger fan on the side or top panel - it spins quietly (slower) and cools *everything* pretty well - especially if right on top of the video card and cpu.

I will say if you want to *replace* the fan - probably cheaper to get a new card. Your card does look like you could jury-rig something (unless the fan is *glued* onto the GPU). If you want to clean the card and *assist* its cooling with other case fans that's probably cheaper as well (and will help keep the mobo, hard drive, and cpu temps down as well)
Old 2011-08-30, 15:52   Link #3
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
>2 wooden sticks; like those you put saté on or sausages
>vacuum cleaner, preferred one which allows you to turn up/down the vacuum strength or be carefull and distant with it (if one setting don't press it against the card, let it lie and get only close enough to move the dust away from the card before sucking it up), if with a cleaner that you can adjust just lower the amount of power so you don't have to be careful about sucking off anything on the card
>compressed air

Use the compressed air can to blow out the dust, normally I use two long sausage sticks (don't know their English names) to stop the fan from spinning whilst cleaning. Suck up all dusty life like things with vacume cleaner.
Best way would be to remove the card from the said case for easier reach, unless this is not needed and you can reach it just fine.

Replacing a fan probably costs more taking in a new card and the rest Vexx said.
Invest time in cleaning your rig, don't easily replace parts that become dirty but are still easily cleanable.
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 17:51   Link #4
Pebamama

Sorry I din't gave enough details.
I didn't mean to replace the fan , just to remove it so i can clean it better.
I just don't know how to remove the fan . You can't just unscrew it .
Pebamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 18:48   Link #5
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

And the answer is, you shouldn't.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 22:15   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

aye, just remove the video card completely if you need to for cleaning. There's a little plastic lever on the card slot it is inserted in that holds it in place. Push that with your thumb and the card will slide right out when you pull it.

(also be sure you're unscrewed the screw that holds it vertical on the case.)

Be sure and ground yourself before touching the electronics... usually just touching the case first is enough. hold the card by its edges avoiding any metal elements.