AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2009-12-04, 06:04   Link #20261
Dark Knight Gafgar
Dirty Bloody /b/tard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Heart View Post
well it''s me or everyone who write about Nanoha fiction made Hayate kinda playful evil at same time.

because all the story i read Hayate is like that.
I need to write a Mirror Nanoha snippet featuring Hayate soon then, because Hayate's alternate is... not very playful.
Dark Knight Gafgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 08:36   Link #20262
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
@ Thunderbird: I wonder what you have,the story is interset to read.

well it''s me or everyone who write about Nanoha fiction made Hayate kinda playful evil at same time.

because all the story i read Hayate is like that.
Actually, Allquall's "The Name of War" features a pretty serious version of Hayate, which makes sense when you think about what she's going through in that fic. Also, DezoPenguin's "Stahlkonigin" has some good, serious development of Hayate's character, too. Both very good reads.
Old 2009-12-04, 08:50   Link #20263
OZ7UP
Music for life.
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Hmmmmm, interesting changes. I like them. And hey, I don't mind seeing Subaru seem thoughtful. I always thought she had the potential for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
Jeez, make it sound like I befriended your poor fic, why don't you...

I like it better too, and what's wrong with a smart Subaru? One would think the girl would have to grow up sometime.
TABASCO BREAKER!!!

Well, glad to know that you liked the changes that I made. As for Subaru being smart (or at least thoughtful), I think I can probably work that into the opening portion of Chapter 4. I've kinda covered Subaru in the first chapter (it's not a proper one, though), Hayate in the second one, and Shamal had her turn in the third one.

Heh, looks like I'll have a bit of fun with Teana in the fourth chapter.

* goes off to start reading up all the StrikerS nanos *

Anyway, I've been watching the BBC's infamous Top Gear series lately, and this was the plot bunny that sprang into existence as a result.

Spoiler for Top Gear intro spoof:

So, yeah, the presenters will be Hayate, Signum, and teenage!Vita, with Fate being The Stig. As for who will be who, any suggestions?

Unofficial page claim for another unlikely mix-up!
OZ7UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 09:48   Link #20264
Tabasco

I'd read it, if only because I've had the first season of Top Gear sitting on my computer for weeks now waiting for me to watch.
Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 09:51   Link #20265
OZ7UP
Music for life.
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
I'd read it, if only because I've had the first season of Top Gear sitting on my computer for weeks now waiting for me to watch.
Mate, you're missing out on a lot. Season 14 has already started airing. Besides, the first season of the current series isn't that great anyway.

* ponders for a while *

I wonder what we can use as caravans in the MGLN version of Top Gear... Jail's Gadgets, I suppose?
OZ7UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 10:33   Link #20266
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
One of the things this fic points out to me is how little I know of archeology except that it is the study of human culture through old relics...

So now I'm curious, how does an archaeologist earn money?
There are a couple of ways:
#1. They have a salary/tenure at a museum or university, that pays them to go out into the field and dig up stuff
#2. Old relics can be worth a lot of money, too, so certain rich individuals may buy them off archeologists for decent sums of money, or finance trips in the hopes of getting rare, valuable goods.

The TSAB might have a third reason: There are some lost logia buried out there, and odds are that someone is gonna find them sooner or later. The TSAB would rather they found and sealed them first.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 10:55   Link #20267
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ7UP View Post
Anyway, I've been watching the BBC's infamous Top Gear series lately, and this was the plot bunny that sprang into existence as a result.

Spoiler for Top Gear intro spoof:

So, yeah, the presenters will be Hayate, Signum, and teenage!Vita, with Fate being The Stig. As for who will be who, any suggestions?

Unofficial page claim for another unlikely mix-up!
I'd read it because I like your writing, even if I don't always know the source material.
Old 2009-12-04, 11:20   Link #20268
Raging Heart
Lightning Devil

Send a message via MSN to Raging Heart
well maybe it's me, oh wait aren't we all writers here and we all write characters in a fic the way we want them be, right?

lets say some can make Hayate playful and sly character.

some can make her very serious.

other can make her really evil.

here we can do the characters the way we want them to be.

Hayate can be both serious and playful.
Old 2009-12-04, 11:21   Link #20269
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
well maybe it's me, oh wait aren't we all writers here and we all write characters in a fic the way we want them be, right?

Have you been reading "Day in the Life"? (Shameless self-plug!) RadiantBeam and I have Hayate show a full-range of emotions easily.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 11:24   Link #20270
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:

I'm afraid I don't understand what you're saying with this post.
Old 2009-12-04, 11:30   Link #20271
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

... I think Raging Heart took the little snippet noting how out of character Hayate is in most fics as criticism that people were doing it wrong.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 11:30   Link #20272
Raging Heart
Lightning Devil

Send a message via MSN to Raging Heart
@ nanya: No i haven't yet.

@RadiantBeam: *RH fell down on anime style then she stood up dusting herself* ok will make easy, the writers can make the characters the way they want them to be.

lets say we pick a character from anime and well lets say she is shy and anti social, but in fic this character is oppsite to what it is in the anime, this that clear? hope i clear it to you.

Last edited by Raging Heart; 2009-12-04 at 11:31. Reason: add
Raging Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 11:36   Link #20273
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
@RadiantBeam: *RH fell down on anime style then she stood up dusting herself* ok will make easy, the writers can make the characters the way they want them to be.

lets say we pick a character from anime and well lets say she is shy and anti social, but in fic this character is oppsite to what it is in the anime, this that clear? hope i clear it to you.
I'm still a little confused, though. By saying that, are you saying that the way Hayate tends to be potrayed in fanfics is OOC and not true to how she is in the anime? Or is it just a general statement on what you notice as the most obvious take on her?
Old 2009-12-04, 11:38   Link #20274
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Raging Heart's statement wasn't meant for Hayate per-se. To put it blunt, what she meant was that since we are fanfiction writers, we can do whatever the hell we want with the character we write about.

Personally, I always believe there is a limit to this. We are fanfiction writers, yes, but in that aspect we also are writers who write about a series and it's characters, so unless a changed personality is part of the plot ('what if' stories or stories where the characters go through events that justify the change) we should attempt to keep things recognizable. After all we are writing Nanoha fanfiction here, and if we suddenly start to switch characters' personalities for no good reasons, there comes a point where people think "... well, this is fun and all, but it's not Nanoha anymore."
Old 2009-12-04, 11:40   Link #20275
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

There's also the question of fanon: the facts that have been invented by fans rather than the show. It's often very difficult to find these 'facts' and determine what facts are which, though.
Old 2009-12-04, 11:47   Link #20276
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

In the case of Hayate this is especially tricky.

For example, her oh so frequently used cosplay fetish is fanon. However, her tendency to grope friends and family, which you'd expect to be fanon, is in fact canon.
Old 2009-12-04, 11:50   Link #20277
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

This is why I didn't try to cite an example here, as I was trading a place I have not. I wish to write something on Hayate, but I'm not ready yet
Old 2009-12-04, 11:52   Link #20278
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

The easiest way is to watch the few bits that StrikerS dropped regarding her, and to read the Sound Stage translations featuring her, and then write Hayate on the image that brings you.
Old 2009-12-04, 12:07   Link #20279
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
If I make a change in a character's personality, I try to keep it within reasonable limits, but at the same time I make sure it has roots in canon.

Since we're talking about Hayate specifically, within the canon she's shown to be playful and cheerful (the groping thing, tanuki!Hayate), but then there are times where she can be serious and a little unsure of herself (she had many doubts about running Riot Force 6). So I don't think the different portrayals of her in fics are OOC, they just usually only focus on only one aspect of her personality.

Even though it's fanon, Hayate being into cosplay does have roots in the canon as well. She designed the Wolkenritter's barrier jackets, and you know how fancy and elaborate those are. Her being into dressing people up in stuff like that (ie, cosplay) doesn't seem like much of a stretch.

Well, I'm pretty forgiving about OOCness if done for the sake of comedy. If it gets a laugh, I won't dwell too much on it. Though crazy stalker!Fate gets on my nerves.
Old 2009-12-04, 12:11   Link #20280
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

I went on and on churning ideas for KoE, putting the CCs with my OCs in various situations. However, recently I found out Hayate especially was... very, very OOC. Funny thing was I used "hurfdurf I'll fit them to my story" argument, because I generally don't care if theya re slightly OOC.

Luckily, people bonked me and I went with OCs entirely. Much better.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha