AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

View Poll Results: Valkyria Chronicles - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 9 16.98%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 13 24.53%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 32.08%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 3.77%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 11.32%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 5.66%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 3.77%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.89%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-06, 17:44   Link #121
kalbron

Well Gallia certainly doesn't use mortars, but the game has the Imperials lobbing them and incinidary shells at you all over the place.

Oh and in the game ALL the platoon commanders wear the same outfit as Welkin. Including a certain map which they hang around their necks. Like, you know, a tank commander would have. So I really wonder why the heck Faldio didn't have his tank on the mission except so that the director could add in a retarded Faldio x Alicia dynamic.
Old 2009-05-06, 17:49   Link #122
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Btw I dont know if this has bin explained or not, either way I forgot, but who started this war and what is this war about?
Old 2009-05-06, 18:01   Link #123
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbron View Post
Oh and in the game ALL the platoon commanders wear the same outfit as Welkin. Including a certain map which they hang around their necks. Like, you know, a tank commander would have. So I really wonder why the heck Faldio didn't have his tank on the mission except so that the director could add in a retarded Faldio x Alicia dynamic.
Does that mean that all platoon commanders lead from a command tank? In any case, even if you don't like the Faldio/Alicia interplay, it'd make a lot of sense for him to not use his tank on that particular mission. His job was to get to the supply base unseen, and tanks are nowhere as stealthy as infantry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargumm1i View Post
Btw I dont know if this has bin explained or not, either way I forgot, but who started this war and what is this war about?
It was semi-explained in the first episode. Gallia has large deposits of ragnite ore, and it's the substance used to power just about everyone's vehicles. The Eastern Empire invaded for that ore to fuel their war against the Atlantic Federation.
Old 2009-05-06, 18:17   Link #124
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
It was more of a curious observation than a complaint. While I understand that the sho- chu- tai- system is easy for even non-Japanese speakers to grasp, it's not as if the SDF ranks are all that complicated. So why would every single production out there still decide to use outdated terms?
For several reasons. Some believe that the modern SDF ranks have been Yankeefied to a point that it is unsuitable for something like Valkyria, moreover, older terms are applied precisely because they were outdated, since they were last prominently used from the era of the big one.

Others believe that the SDF is just that, a self-defense-force, which is not applicable to the work of fiction where armies are often not restricted by some clause such as article 9.

Quote:
No machine guns? Nah, that's impossible. Machine guns have formed the backbone of modern squad-level tactics ever since the evolution of such tactics in World War I. The German MG42 was so obiquitous that it was in every single infantry squad, and that it's the one iconic weapon of the German infantryman. Heck, it's so popular that the Bundeswehr uses a modern version of it to this day. Go ahead and pull the other leg - next, you'd be claiming silly stuff like nobody uses mortars or something like that.
Aye, but I speak the truth. There are no squad-level support machine guns in the game. Those few that appear are stationary turrets. The closest thing to a modern machine gun in the game are the weapons carried by shock troopers, although they carry sub-machine guns (but the game would rather name them machine guns).

The actual portable machine gun that appears in the game? Well, it was used like how Rambo would use his.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-05-06, 18:19   Link #125
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Quote:
Does that mean that all platoon commanders lead from a command tank? In any case, even if you don't like the Faldio/Alicia interplay, it'd make a lot of sense for him to not use his tank on that particular mission. His job was to get to the supply base unseen, and tanks are nowhere as stealthy as infantry.

It was semi-explained in the first episode. Gallia has large deposits of ragnite ore, and it's the substance used to power just about everyone's vehicles. The Eastern Empire invaded for that ore to fuel their war against the Atlantic Federation.
So basically Gallia is just caught in between war The Eastern Empire and Atlantic Federation? bummer, now I really want Gallia too win.
Old 2009-05-06, 18:20   Link #126
Tak

Quote:
So basically Gallia is just caught in between war The Eastern Empire and Atlantic Federation? bummer, now I really want Gallia too win.
If Gallia was some backwater nation, then nobody would care. Unfortunately, it had two things going for them, an extremely rich ragnite ore deposit as well as perhaps the best preserved Valkyrian ruin.
- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2009-05-06 at 18:30.
Old 2009-05-06, 18:28   Link #127
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
and tanks are nowhere as stealthy as infantry.
I beg to differ

there seems to be a distinct lack of compasses and maps, especially for the group going through the woods.
Old 2009-05-06, 18:34   Link #128
Tak

Stealth tanks in C&C are way overrated its not even funny.

- Tak

Old 2009-05-06, 19:08   Link #129
Blademun

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the intense 'Rolo' vibes that silent kid in the back is emitting.

Now is the chance to redeem Lulu for not offing Rolo right away, by sending this kid on a one way death march.
Old 2009-05-06, 19:13   Link #130
Father Hentai

Quote:
Now that makes a lot more sense. If a regiment had, say 10 x "squads" of 50 riflemen, that'd be a strength of some 500 personnel. It's also a lot more reasonable for a tank to be attached to a platoon than to a squad.
Uhm. a Regiment is bigger than a bataillon and a bataillon already has a troop strength of 800 to 1200 soldiers. And a squad can have more than one tank.
Here is an example on how a Tank Bataillon on German standard is lined up: http://www.pzbtl293.de/gliederung.html

Quote:
It also wouldn't be a very effective military if they made all their junior lieutenants into squad commanders. The original translation error is a bit on the goofy side though - how many people did the translator think that squads had?
Why not? The backbone of the German army is are the NCOs. Leading a Squad is the first step in the career of an officer which they have to pass to claim higher rank. It's a position where they have to learn and to earn the respect of their soldiers.

Quote:
No machine guns? Nah, that's impossible. Machine guns have formed the backbone of modern squad-level tactics ever since the evolution of such tactics in World War I. The German MG42 was so obiquitous that it was in every single infantry squad, and that it's the one iconic weapon of the German infantryman. Heck, it's so popular that the Bundeswehr uses a modern version of it to this day. Go ahead and pull the other leg - next, you'd be claiming silly stuff like nobody uses mortars or something like that.
MG is very powerful but you won't really hit a person carrying the MG like John Rambo. I know that because I tried it in my military weapon education with an MG 3 (upgrade version of the MG 42). Btw. Not the MG 42 was iconic weapon. It was the beer .

Btw. I do have a reason why Faldio did not used a tank.
1. We have two officers: Welkin and Faldio
2. Alicia may be an option to lead the backtroop but this leaves Faldio without command. Not officers like.
3. Faldio has more experience in leading soldiers up to squad strength.
4. A tank would alarm the Imps that they are planning a 2 front battle.
Old 2009-05-06, 19:28   Link #131
kalbron

... who said that Faldio had to go with the tank on a flanking attack? Two tanks + infantry is far more of a threat than one tank, so if he'd been as part of the frontal assault, there would have likely been less troops left in the base.

Its not like they actually needed an officer in the flank attack given that Alicia ignored him and everyone else followed Alicia's orders.
Old 2009-05-06, 19:32   Link #132
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Aye, but I speak the truth. There are no squad-level support machine guns in the game. Those few that appear are stationary turrets. The closest thing to a modern machine gun in the game are the weapons carried by shock troopers, although they carry sub-machine guns (but the game would rather name them machine guns).

The actual portable machine gun that appears in the game? Well, it was used like how Rambo would use his.
Le sigh. Machine guns are as dangerous as they are because 1) they have stable bipod and perferably tripod mounts and 2) they are crew by multiple soldiers, thereby spreading the responsibility of killing the enemy. It's things like this that don't make me regret not buying the game.

Quote:
Not really, but you are supposed to feel sorry for the Gallians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
I beg to differ
We're talking about World War II-esque tanks that can be heard several kilometers away, so they'd easily give their position away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
Uhm. a Regiment is bigger than a bataillon and a bataillon already has a troop strength of 800 to 1200 soldiers. And a squad can have more than one tank.
Here is an example on how a Tank Bataillon on German standard is lined up: http://www.pzbtl293.de/gliederung.html
Sure, but there's a difference between a paper strength and an actual strength just as there is between the numbers of combat personnel and all personnel in a military unit. An actual regimental strength of 500 combatants is eminently reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
Why not? The backbone of the German army is are the NCOs. Leading a Squad is the first step in the career of an officer which they have to pass to claim higher rank. It's a position where they have to learn and to earn the respect of their soldiers.
It's mostly a difference between the amount of training a junior officer needs versus how many a military organization can be expected to field. Even in a military where the NCOs are the most important role (which is just about all militaries), it becomes extremely inefficient to have too great an officer to enlisted ratio, especially in combat infantry formations. That's why green lieutenants are generally assigned to platoons, where they can be babysat by the senior NCO until they get some seasoning - you can't do that at the squad level because you're not going to have enough good senior NCOs to go around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
For several reasons. Some believe that the modern SDF ranks have been Yankeefied to a point that it is unsuitable for something like Valkyria, moreover, older terms are applied precisely because they were outdated, since they were last prominently used from the era of the big one.

Others believe that the SDF is just that, a self-defense-force, which is not applicable to the work of fiction where armies are often not restricted by some clause such as article 9.
I'm really talking more of anime in general, but there's nothing intrinsic in the SDF ranks that restrict them to a self-defense role, so I imagine that there would have to be some other sort of dynamic at play. The reaction against perceived Yankification seems to be a much more plausible explanation.
Old 2009-05-06, 19:32   Link #133
slayer545-sama
Banned

Red face

Quote:
Well Gallia certainly doesn't use mortars, but the game has the Imperials lobbing them and incinidary shells at you all over the place.

WHAT!? Mortars and incendiary shells? Gallia doe not even have that? Whaaaaaaaaaat? I used to be a captain in the military and that makes things totally unfair then again Edelweiss makes hell for the enemy but not as much as mortars and incendiary shells would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
I beg to differ

there seems to be a distinct lack of compasses and maps, especially for the group going through the woods.
There is no way it could happen like that. You need nano to do this. Refer to anime Shangri-La #5 and you will know what I mean.
Old 2009-05-06, 19:35   Link #134
Father Hentai

Quote:
... who said that Faldio had to go with the tank on a flanking attack? Two tanks + infantry is far more of a threat than one tank, so if he'd been as part of the frontal assault, there would have likely been less troops left in the base.
A frontal attack with two tanks without knowing how much resource the enemy has is more a risk than a threat. Not to mention what would happen when the Imps are using their lancers.

And the other thing is that the flank attack is going through a thick terrain. A tank is there really not a benefit.
Old 2009-05-06, 19:38   Link #135
Tak

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer545-sama View Post
WHAT!? Mortars and incendiary shells? Gallia doe not even have that? Whaaaaaaaaaat?
That is totally incorrect. Mortars, even artillery appear as support weapons for Gallian forces. However, authorizing their use is another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer545-sama View Post
I used to be a captain in the military
Which military?

- Tak

Old 2009-05-06, 19:46   Link #136
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
So far for me it looks like this anime's couple is FaldioxAlicia. Welkin has so little screen time that it is hard to consider him as someone who could be involved in romantic relationship.

If they are doing a love triangle they are doing it wrong since I do not get any romantic vibes from Alicia/Welkin interactions. And Faldio'sxAlicia's dinamics, though look much closer to being romantic, are so retarded that bores to death. Rest of the squad looks pretty much faceless.

So far - pretty mediocre anime and romance in it is simply pitiable. I will watch one or maybe two episodes at best before seeing if I'll drop it or not, but since I will probably see more of that Faldio/Alicia nonsese I am guessing I will drop it.
Old 2009-05-06, 20:03   Link #137
Father Hentai

Quote:
Le sigh. Machine guns are as dangerous as they are because 1) they have stable bipod and perferably tripod mounts and 2) they are crew by multiple soldiers, thereby spreading the responsibility of killing the enemy. It's things like this that don't make me regret not buying the game.
Sure we are talking about a MG and not about a Gatling Gun? A MG is in general used by one person and you have another person who just carries the amo. Still a MG is heavy and it uses a lot of ammo.

Quote:
Sure, but there's a difference between a paper strength and an actual strength just as there is between the numbers of combat personnel and all personnel in a military unit. An actual regimental strength of 500 combatants is eminently reasonable.
I believe you have looked on the Scheme on how a Tank batailon is build up. If you look, then the first platoon has 4 Tanks. The first platoon is for command, logistics and supply while 2nd, 3rd and 4th platon are the combat platoons. 2/291 I assume has been added or is the reserve platoon. Which still means we came to a combat personell of about 500 to 600 ppl including their tanks.

Quote:
It's mostly a difference between the amount of training a junior officer needs versus how many a military organization can be expected to field. Even in a military where the NCOs are the most important role (which is just about all militaries), it becomes extremely inefficient to have too great an officer to enlisted ratio, especially in combat infantry formations. That's why green lieutenants are generally assigned to platoons, where they can be babysat by the senior NCO until they get some seasoning - you can't do that at the squad level because you're not going to have enough good senior NCOs to go around.
I know what you mean but still an officer is an officer and a sergeant is a sergeant. If the structure says that the squad is led by an officer not even a senior NCO can do against. And the structure is set up by the Divisions Commander or even Army HQ. Believe me at this point. I was Personnel NCO in the Bundeswehr I know what I am talking about in terms of military organization.
Old 2009-05-06, 20:13   Link #138
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Also, can I ask who is the main character in the anime? So far it seems like Alicia. Welkin is sort of secondary character, not really important. He is not even main characters (Alicia's) love interest at all. He seems to be better off with fertilizers.

It saddens seeing how his character is pathetic compared to game so far. Like most of characters. Alicia is turned into a stupid tsundere is pretty annoying. I like tsundere's by the way, but I like those who have some character depth, something that Alicia's character is lacking considerably. Idiotic dynamics between her and Faldio doenst help much either. Though I am glad they kep the crap joke, this anime so far proves to be largely disappointing.
Old 2009-05-06, 20:18   Link #139
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Also, can I ask who is the main character in the anime? So far it seems like Alicia. Welkin is sort of secondary character, not really important. He is not even main characters (Alicia's) love interest at all. He seems to be better off with fertilizers.

It saddens seeing how his character is pathetic compared to game so far. Like most of characters. Alicia is turned into a stupid tsundere is pretty annoying. I like tsundere's by the way, but I like those who have some character depth, something that Alicia's character is lacking considerably. Idiotic dynamics between her and Faldio doenst help much either. Though I am glad they kep the crap joke, this anime so far proves to be largely disappointing.
You do realize that this anime just barely started? With 5 episodes, just exactly how fast of a character development are you expecting?

For you to post twice regarding this very subject matter simply goes to show that you have no patience, at all.

- Tak

Old 2009-05-06, 20:19   Link #140
Father Hentai

Welkin and Alicia are the main characters. And Faldio seems to be an important persons if he gets some spotlight.