AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

View Poll Results: Hanasaku Iroha - Episode 24 Rating
Perfect 10 17 30.36%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 20 35.71%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 23.21%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 7.14%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 3.57%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-11, 14:27   Link #21
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Outstanding episode!

Additional thoughts in the spoiler space below.

Spoiler for Episode 24 Thoughts:

Last edited by Triple_R; 2011-09-11 at 14:47.
Old 2011-09-11, 14:59   Link #22
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Alright Ohana, finally mustered up the courage and invited Ko. Liked his reaction when she left. Lol the manga that inspired Tohru and Minko to become chefs was written by none other then Jiromaru! The bath scene was so funny. Sui actually shared a laugh with Ohana. Where she's coming from is understandable. Didn't think they'ed revolt though.
Old 2011-09-11, 16:08   Link #23
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Outstanding episode!

Additional thoughts in the spoiler space below.

I don't know. If they close the inn, what she leaves behind is nothing.

Also, I'm not sure you're right about her practical reason. I think she explained her "real, practical reason" to Ohana - money. They're in debt. Right now, "nothing" would be up. That's why she wants to declare bankruptcy and call it a day. Yes, the fact that she has no faith Enishi can turn it around plays a part - she doesn't want him to get deeper into debt and end up not paying the employees what they're owed, as well as taking the opportunities they have now.

I'm not sure what the mutiny at the end was all about. It's one thing to go against Sui's orders and accept reservations. It's another to make an enemy of the inn alliance. Doubly so if what they want is to continue the inn - it's not like they're trying to end with a bang. Yes, they can be petty and green-eyed lot. All the more reason not to get on their bad side, since no matter what, they depend on each other. Especially a small inn like Kissuiso - they just don't, by themselves, have the personnel to absorb a sudden, complete loss like all the part-timers going away at the same time.
Old 2011-09-11, 16:20   Link #24
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

RRR, in my view you're not giving Sui enough credit. I think 90% of her reasoning was what she explained to her sweet but clueless granddaughter, and I actually found it rather moving.

Kohana FTW...
Old 2011-09-11, 16:22   Link #25
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I don't know. If they close the inn, what she leaves behind is nothing.
A lifetime of memories and accomplishments ending on at least a somewhat positive note (i.e. the Bonbori Festival) may not be much, but I wouldn't call it "nothing".

It's certainly better than watching Enishi continue to run the inn into the ground, imo (perhaps that's a better way of putting it).

Quote:
That's why she wants to declare bankruptcy and call it a day. Yes, the fact that she has no faith Enishi can turn it around plays a part - she doesn't want him to get deeper into debt and end up not paying the employees what they're owed, as well as taking the opportunities they have now.
True. She is genuinely concerned for the employees' welfare. I actually find it a bit disappointing that they themselves don't seem to be aware of that.

Quote:

I'm not sure what the mutiny at the end was all about. It's one thing to go against Sui's orders and accept reservations. It's another to make an enemy of the inn alliance. Doubly so if what they want is to continue the inn - it's not like they're trying to end with a bang. Yes, they can be petty and green-eyed lot. All the more reason not to get on their bad side, since no matter what, they depend on each other. Especially a small inn like Kissuiso - they just don't, by themselves, have the personnel to absorb a sudden, complete loss like all the part-timers going away at the same time.
Agreed.

Personally, I wonder if Sui told Enishi to stop booking additional reservations so that Kissuiso could easily spare someone for the Bonbori Festival. This seems to have simply never occurred to Enishi. Poor guy is perhaps already off to a bad start on catching Satsuki's hail mary pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
RRR, in my view you're not giving Sui enough credit.
Not giving her enough credit? I'm defending her.

Sui has every right to take a pragmatic perspective. This isn't playing house. This is a serious commercial enterprise. Practical concerns are entirely legitimate.

Also, the Inn is her baby. Well, the "baby" of her and her late husband. She has every right to have a sense of ownership of it, and not want to pass it on to heirs that are simply not fit for the job of managing/running it.
Old 2011-09-11, 16:29   Link #26
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
True. She is genuinely concerned for the employees' welfare. I actually find it a bit disappointing that they themselves don't seem to be aware of that.
I think they are. They are also adults, and want to take their chances with the inn they love.
Old 2011-09-11, 16:37   Link #27
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
I think they are. They are also adults, and want to take their chances with the inn they love.
Ok, that's a fair point.
Old 2011-09-11, 16:38   Link #28
Syntron
Shiny Hardware

Quote:
Also, I'm not sure you're right about her practical reason. I think she explained her "real, practical reason" to Ohana - money. They're in debt.
What do you think Takako brought back from Tokyo? Souvenirs?
Old 2011-09-11, 17:03   Link #29
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, I think we both agree that Sui is being basically selfless here, RRR. It's just that maybe I see her reasons as being a bit more idealistic and I take her at her word a bit more. I really think she wants the others to have the experience of building their dream from nothing - which they can never do as long as it's her dream they're pursuing.
Old 2011-09-11, 17:14   Link #30
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Quote:
The impression I got from the talk with Ohana was that the inn was created for Sui, so in essence it and everything until now has been a selfish expression of love between her and her husband. Closing the 'Kissuiso' would be more symbolic as ending the connection between her and the physical inn rather than it being an issue of succession. She already showed remorse over how the inn affected her personal relationships and how the drive to make it successful affected the family and the workers, so I see it more as a way for her to wipe the slate clean for all the selfishness she believes she's done.
Old 2011-09-11, 17:15   Link #31
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Well, I think we both agree that Sui is being basically selfless here, RRR. It's just that maybe I see her reasons as being a bit more idealistic and I take her at her word a bit more. I really think she wants the others to have the experience of building their dream from nothing - which they can never do as long as it's her dream they're pursuing.
Not seeing Sui decision as selfishness, she worries about her son and the employees future (lacking income). This is why she mention they can build their own path to life, just like her.

Disregard this post, I got few words mix, "selfish" for "selfless"

Last edited by vansonbee; 2011-09-11 at 17:35.
Old 2011-09-11, 17:18   Link #32
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansonbee View Post
Not seeing Sui decision as selfishness, she worries about her son and the employees future (lacking income). This is why she mention they can build their own path to life, just like her.
Not selfish - selfless.
Old 2011-09-11, 17:29   Link #33
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Well, I think we both agree that Sui is being basically selfless here, RRR. It's just that maybe I see her reasons as being a bit more idealistic and I take her at her word a bit more.
Yes, I agree with that. I do think that the reason I called "polite pretext" has some truth to it ("pretext" was probably a bad term on my part there - "Secondary Reason" sounds better, in retrospect). I think that she really would like to see her son build something of worth out of nothing, for his own sake. But practical concerns likely are the primary reason for her decision, I think.

Which is why I think Enishi/Takako have one last chance. If they can change Sui's mind about their capabilities as Inn managers then I think Sui will also change her mind about closing the Inn.

There's two plotlines that Hanasaku Iroha is going to take right into the final episode I think, and I'm really impressed at how they've been handled so far.

Two major questions are now being put forward:

1) Will Enishi finally get his act together, with the help of his wife Takako, his sister Satsuki, and the entire Inn staff?

2) Will Ohana follow-through on her romantic plans, and end up with Ko?

I think that Hanasaku Iroha will want to end on at least a somewhat happy note, so I think that the answer to at least one of the two questions will be "yes". And both might be "yes" answers.

If Enishi gets his act together, his story will be one of sheer doggedness and determination overcoming personal flaws in order to finally succeed. It might actually be inspirational.

Interestingly, the same would be true of Ohana and her romantic fortunes. If she ends up with Ko, her story will be one of sheer doggedness and determination overcoming personal flaws in order to meet with romantic success.

Given that I've always felt this anime had a vague shonen feel to it (especially with Ohana's character), I wouldn't be surprised to see determination win the day here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
The impression I got from the talk with Ohana was that the inn was created for Sui, so in essence it and everything until now has been a selfish expression of love between her and her husband. Closing the 'Kissuiso' would be more symbolic as ending the connection between her and the physical inn rather than it being an issue of succession. She already showed remorse over how the inn affected her personal relationships and how the drive to make it successful affected the family and the workers, so I see it more as a way for her to wipe the slate clean for all the selfishness she believes she's done.
That's an interesting take. You might be right.
Old 2011-09-11, 17:39   Link #34
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I couldn't believe she actually started to run away when Kou approached her on the bridge. Seriously - after all that? I wanted to whack-a-mole her right then.

Okada is a trollmaster extraordinaire. But if Ohana and Kou don't end up together, the whole series will effectively have been a troll. I'll be pissed, but I think even I would have to laugh...
Old 2011-09-11, 17:49   Link #35
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
I couldn't believe she actually started to run away when Kou approached her on the bridge. Seriously - after all that? I wanted to whack-a-mole her right then.
Yeah, I rolled my eyes at that too.

But here's what I think is true of Ohana - She much prefers to lead than to follow. She's really a "take charge" sort of person. So being romantically confessed to makes her uncomfortable, because then she's put in the position of the person merely responding to somebody else's initiatives. She's following their romantic lead. This is why I think Ohana was peeved that Kou was basically confessing to her anew when she wanted to confess to him. She wants to take the lead in their relationship. She wants to be the one to take the initiative.

So the challenge for her is to do exactly that at the Bonbori Festival, and the challenge for Kou is to be patient enough to let her take the lead going forward.

Kou's patience is... utterly beyond reproach ... so I don't doubt he'll hold up his end of the bargain. The ball is in Ohana's court now.

Quote:

Okada is a trollmaster extraordinaire. But if Ohana and Kou don't end up together, the whole series will effectively have been a troll. I'll be pissed, but I think even I would have to laugh...
Agreed. If Ohana and Kou don't end up happening, I'll view the romance side of this anime as a dark comedy.
Old 2011-09-11, 18:09   Link #36
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

yay for Ko-Ohana's ending!!! I'm little uncertain about Kissuiso's future... maybe it's better if they close it (after hearing madam manager's speech)
yay for Satsuki as well..... Okami-san and Ohana's talking scene is also done well

I'm siding with Ohana.... let's fest it up!!!

btw, Okami-san's fanservice ruined the bath scene.... lol
Old 2011-09-11, 18:42   Link #37
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
What a great episode! I really enjoyed the part with Tohru and Minko with Teppi XD Jiromaru should write a manga about the inn. I could be quite popular XD

Bath scene was very epic I loved the BGM an the atmosphere around it. That was fantastic!

Really great episode I can't wait for the festival and see what happens with the inn.
Old 2011-09-11, 19:44   Link #38
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
Nice episode. But lol, Ko screaming to the heavens almost made me think he switched brains with Ohana for a moment. And seeing Sui organizing the bath house with such accuracy in seconds... just left me in awe (I just wish she wasn't nude though). Can't wait to see what the next 2 episodes will cook up.
Old 2011-09-11, 21:41   Link #39
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Okami-san organizing the bath didn't work for me. The humor felt out of place, and defused an interesting scene.

On the other hand, the tension of worrying that we might see her nude was a nice touch, for me. And knowing that she was nude and confident there with the girls made me feel that she was a more real person, denuded of the trappings of her position.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2011-09-11, 22:21   Link #40
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Yeah, I rolled my eyes at that too.

But here's what I think is true of Ohana - She much prefers to lead than to follow. She's really a "take charge" sort of person. So being romantically confessed to makes her uncomfortable, because then she's put in the position of the person merely responding to somebody else's initiatives. She's following their romantic lead. This is why I think Ohana was peeved that Kou was basically confessing to her anew when she wanted to confess to him. She wants to take the lead in their relationship. She wants to be the one to take the initiative.
Eh, really? I think that's a very charitable view of Ohana there. Being a "take charge" person doesn't justify stringing someone along for six months despite professing your love for them, and refusing to truly commit even after being confronted.

My take is pretty simple - Ohana is a scaredy-cat when it comes to romance and her life in general. Not without cause - it doesn't seem like Satsuki was much of a healthy mentor. But I think she's simply much more comfortable butting into someone else's problems than dealing with her own. Classic avoidance, and it's nothing to dislike her for - it's a very human thing, and most people are guilty of it to some degree at some points in their lives.
Closed Thread