AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

View Poll Results: Penguin Drum - Episode 22 Rating
Perfect 10 22 39.29%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 20 35.71%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 14.29%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 3.57%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.79%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.79%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.79%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-12-10, 00:49   Link #41
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
On another note I am getting really tired of seeing people say if they use the diary as a fate transfer it will be a Deus ex machina (and I've been seeing it everywhere)

Now I am not saying this is how the series will end or even my preferred end but it's not a deus ex machina because

1) We have known what the diary could do for awhile so it does not come out of nowhere. There is nothing contrived about it.

2) Use of the diary requires some type of payment/sacrifice, so even if it is used something will be lost. Hence it's not really a magical fix everything.
I agree with you here. Use of the diary would hardly be something out of left field, and should take nobody by surprise. To me, a true deus ex machina ending is one that comes entirely out of left field.

In fact, there was a recent and prominent anime that had an ending driven by the use of a well-established self-sacrificial magical means of sorts (Kazu-kun probably knows what I'm referring to here ). Ringo and/or Shouma trying to set things right through the use of Momoka's Diary would be very comparable to that, imo. Mawaru Penguin Drum could certainly have worse company in that regard.

Right now, I can see two likely but different directions for Ikuhara to go in with this story (there no doubt are other possible directions, but I myself don't personally see them). Those two different directions are:

1. Ringo and/or Shouma use Momoka's diary to try to set things right. If this happens, anything and everything is possible.

2. The diary is never used. Perhaps Sanetoshi succeeds in having half of it destroyed, but for whatever reason, the diary is never used. Himari dies and stays dead this time. Kanba ultimately gets killed and/or captured by the police. If Kanba survives, we'll likely see Kanba and Shouma making up. In any event, Shouma and Ringo start a new family together (this would satisfy shippers while also tying back into Ikuhara's family focus). A very bittersweet ending.
Old 2011-12-10, 01:44   Link #42
erapath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui_Nyan View Post
Oh man, this is going to bother me all week. Who the heck is Shoma?

Spoiler for episode 22:
I think his real last name is
Spoiler:

It will be funny if Takakura's children
Spoiler:
Old 2011-12-10, 01:53   Link #43
Setsuryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I agree with you here. Use of the diary would hardly be something out of left field, and should take nobody by surprise. To me, a true deus ex machina ending is one that comes entirely out of left field.

In fact, there was a recent and prominent anime that had an ending driven by the use of a well-established self-sacrificial magical means of sorts (Kazu-kun probably knows what I'm referring to here ). Ringo and/or Shouma trying to set things right through the use of Momoka's Diary would be very comparable to that, imo. Mawaru Penguin Drum could certainly have worse company in that regard.

Right now, I can see two likely but different directions for Ikuhara to go in with this story (there no doubt are other possible directions, but I myself don't personally see them). Those two different directions are:

1. Ringo and/or Shouma use Momoka's diary to try to set things right. If this happens, anything and everything is possible.

2. The diary is never used. Perhaps Sanetoshi succeeds in having half of it destroyed, but for whatever reason, the diary is never used. Himari dies and stays dead this time. Kanba ultimately gets killed and/or captured by the police. If Kanba survives, we'll likely see Kanba and Shouma making up. In any event, Shouma and Ringo start a new family together (this would satisfy shippers while also tying back into Ikuhara's family focus). A very bittersweet ending.
Perhaps I'm remembering things wrong but...

The diary isn't the Penguindrum right? The Bride of Fate/Empress Penguin/You name it said that the diary just leads them to it. And is the Penguindrum who saves Himari... So that needs yet to be revealed.

The diary DOES poses threat to Sanetoshi. He wanted Masako to burn her half, she did not and probably they will use it to hinder whatever Sanetoshi plan was in the end (that plan that Momoka avoided and he was trying to use Kanba to continue? yes, that one).

And if Shouma end up Sanetoshi's son who got send by mail to the Takakura in the next episode I'm not surprised. xD

Anyway, Himari can't be dying/reviving so long! If she died again now (I don't think so since her Penguim did not completely disappeared, it only became transparent) so leave her dead with the brother's clashing against each other or whatever. If she didn't then make her survive until the end.

And man, I should totally know the stabber was the androginous.
Old 2011-12-10, 04:27   Link #44
Gohan78
Awakened One

At this point I am certain that the Diary will be used. It is too big of a Chekov's gun not to be fired. The characters struggled too much for the diary to let it unused. And the fact that Ringo got half of the diary back from Yuri in this episode makes me think that she will get the other half back from Masako soon. This is also consistent with the imagery in the OP that shows Ringo burning. My only hope is that she gets out with minor injuries like Momoka did when she saved Yuri. Ringo is the most likeable character in the series right now and it would be too sad to have her sacrificing herself to save the world.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Old 2011-12-10, 05:26   Link #45
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Masako was just awesome and I pray she is not dead. Although I did love when Kanba finally acknowledged her, I still don't think Kanba deserved dedication like that.
Even though I am among those who think that Kanba went beyond overboard and shouldn't get out of this unscathed or fully redeemed, I disagree that he didn't deserve the dedication Masako showed for him. What Kanba is doing right now is irrelevant to his worth to his family, especially Masako. Nothing changes the fact that he sacrificed himself times and again to protect both his family. His family should appreciate the effort he put into it. Yeah he didn't make the best of decisions but he put everything on line to keep things going. Blaming him and then yourself like Shouma is doing is only an evidence of a weak personality.

Besides, think of it from Masako's perspective - Kanba sacrificed himself for her and Mario. And he is her brother that she clearly admired ever since childhood. It'd be weird for her to not be as dedicated to saving him given all that and more importantly, her personality. She is strong willed and independent and proactive. Unlike Himari. It kind of worked against her favor though, because Kanba let her be in favor of Himari with the clear assumption that she'd be fine. But given her nature and the circumstances under which Kanba parted with her, I can completely understand why that girl would go that far for Kanba.
Old 2011-12-10, 06:55   Link #46
Lota

Kanba Kanba Kanba... What he is doing now is unforgivable. Doing all the wrong things for all the right reasons. But I can't help but feel sorry for the guy: even with all this trying, he still can't save anyone. Himari is still dying, I guess he was trying to protect Shouma by keeping him out of the loop, but that surely won't work out, he tried protecting Masako, but that was probably yet another failed attempt, and I finally understand the look of horror on his face in episode 10 when he saw Mario with the penguin hat: he couldn't save his little brother either. Even Shouma, without really doing anything, managed to save Ringo... Possibly unworthy of redemption, but, really, poor guy. Can't blame him for going crazy. I don't even want to see his reaction when he finds out Masako's dead (if she really died (really hope not)).

About the episode... Time sure flies fast, I just began watching and then it ended. Oh, did anyone else notice that since episode 21, in the OP scene when Kanba and PotC are sort of dancing, something green (leaves?) showed up?... Wonder what that means...

Anyway, as always, the music was pure perfection. I wasn't sure how Kanba felt about Masako, but I'm glad he protected her. I'm also glad that Tabuki shielded Yuri, I hope he makes it and they become a real family. It was a powerful episode. I was on my toes the whole time, it was quite intense (I can't begin to describe how I felt when Kanba was being taken away and I heard the gun shots...)

Hmm... I think PotC will show up again and probably try and fix things. Though I can't help feeling that, while Kanba is sort of working for Sanetoshi, everything might be going according to PotC's plan as well. She might just be waiting for something... Also, right now I think that Himari might stay alive, Shouma and Ringo as well, but Kanba will be the one to die or go to wherever PotC is. Oh, can't wait for the Penguindrum to show up!

Last edited by Lota; 2011-12-10 at 13:03.
Old 2011-12-10, 07:05   Link #47
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Quote:

As for Kanba it's really hard for me to be sympathetic for him at this point. I am actually hoping there is more to it then saving his sister because sorry killing all those people just to save one girl from a natural death, no matter how much you love her is not sympathetic in the least in my view. I do love his Trench coat and his Penguin though.

Yep , Kanba is egoist , it doesn't matter for him what the others feels , he only focus on Himari... he can't accept Himari's death... i don't like his manners , and he left Masako behind... his real lil sister (except at the end but well , it tooks years..)

Penguins always give us a refreshing humor
Old 2011-12-10, 07:24   Link #48
ookamigirl

Double H visiting Himari.
Tabuki got stabbed.
Himari still dying..
Kan in serious trouble.
Pretty sad episode.

My Blog --> ookami
Old 2011-12-10, 08:33   Link #49
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Even though I am among those who think that Kanba went beyond overboard and shouldn't get out of this unscathed or fully redeemed, I disagree that he didn't deserve the dedication Masako showed for him. What Kanba is doing right now is irrelevant to his worth to his family, especially Masako. Nothing changes the fact that he sacrificed himself times and again to protect both his family. His family should appreciate the effort he put into it. Yeah he didn't make the best of decisions but he put everything on line to keep things going. Blaming him and then yourself like Shouma is doing is only an evidence of a weak personality.

Besides, think of it from Masako's perspective - Kanba sacrificed himself for her and Mario. And he is her brother that she clearly admired ever since childhood. It'd be weird for her to not be as dedicated to saving him given all that and more importantly, her personality. She is strong willed and independent and proactive. Unlike Himari. It kind of worked against her favor though, because Kanba let her be in favor of Himari with the clear assumption that she'd be fine. But given her nature and the circumstances under which Kanba parted with her, I can completely understand why that girl would go that far for Kanba.
No actually I disagree, no matter what Kanba did for Masako as a child (and I am not discounting that) I don't think he deserved for her to die (or risk her life because I am hoping she is not dead) for his crimes.

And while I am happy Kanba obviously showed he did care for Masako in the end by finally acknowledging her; I think he treated her pretty poorly up to that point. He did make it seem like Himari was more important to him than she was. Not that I think Himari shouldn't be important to Kanba but not the only important thing.

As for Himari's sacrifice for Kanba that I can accept more because she should have died anyways. It's more or less an acceptance of her fate.

Although I will say part of me thinks Kanba might have taken this darker route because either he didn't want to use the diary because of Shouma and/or because of Mario. That would at least add a little more weight to what he is doing (not that it would make it any less wrong that he is killing others who also have families).

Either way Himari's death is natural is it worth all this sacrifice. Even Himari doesn't think it is.

edit: Sort of OT and I am not sure if anyone has seen it but the scene with Masako and Kanba at the end gave me vibes of the film Scarface (the 1930's version).
Old 2011-12-10, 10:43   Link #50
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuryuu View Post
And if Shouma end up Sanetoshi's son who got send by mail to the Takakura in the next episode I'm not surprised. xD
We know that Chiemi gave birth to someone on the day of the attack. Unless the kid died and Shouma took its place, I think Sho must be their real child.

Quote:
I love Shouma but yeah I am definitely disappointed how long it took for them to do anything with him in the present storyline. It doesn't help that the last chapter of the 2nd novel made me think things would change for Shouma sooner (maybe they will in the novels).
At this point I wonder if Ikuhara's going for a genderflipped fairytale where Ringo's the prince and Sho's the princess.

Quote:
Masako was just awesome and I pray she is not dead.
We cut away before the gunfire and didn't see a body. Given the way Tabuki's stabbing played out, I think there's a good chance she'll survive. But then again, there was a lot of gunfire, so the Tokyo police will have to be bad shots.
Old 2011-12-10, 11:55   Link #51
Kirarakim

I like the concept of a reverse fairy tale and I guess that is sort of what Utena was. Well we will see how it all plays out.

I didn't like most of the male characters at the end of Utena, so I hope that's not the case here.
Old 2011-12-10, 12:44   Link #52
ndqanh_vn

I think now Ikuhara has big chance of surpassing himself in Utena...Well, just my opinion, but I think this series is better in both pacing and directing. It does not have the big cast and the length of Utena, but it used its time damn well, the symbolism is used in a good dose, until this point of course.

The only thing I fear is the ending... But for some reason, i know that whatever the ending is, it would leave me thirsty for more...Damn you Ikuhara, will we have to take another 13 years to see another series by you?
Old 2011-12-10, 13:49   Link #53
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

This is anime, fiction, not real life. The "what can realistically be expected" line doesn't work. Not in a series with dead people talking, blowing people up via a smartphone app, penguinballs that erase people's memories, and a modern society that actually allows three children to live together without parents (strangely enough, that last one is almost the hardest to believe).

Get over it. Shouma is a wuss. I imagine there's a thematic reason why he's portrayed as such a wuss, but I don't care.

Man, I'm going to be pissed if Masako dies. Guessing not, because as seemingly dark as this show has been, very little actual death has occurred. Kanba is beyond redemption, and it saddens me to see Masako's obsession towards him. I know they're technically siblings, but I can't help but view this as the fairly typical male-female relationship in which many women end up living their lives for some man, rather than the other way around, or anything reaching equality.

Glad to see at least two people return to some modicum of sanity in peace. Hopefully Tabuki and Yuri's sham marriage/relationship can grow into something real.

As for everyone else, I hope it all ends in a nihilistic firebomb, with Ringo (and maybe Masako) as the lone survivors.

Though, I'd lol if, as someone earlier posted, Mario saves/destroys the day in the last 5 minutes. That'd be pretty damn hilarious.
Also, cake.
Old 2011-12-10, 14:42   Link #54
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

It was a great episode with more plot twists but nowhere near as good as the previous episodes for two main reasons:
1) Tabuki getting stabbed by Ladyboy of all people.
2) Masako being far too deredere (almost made up for by her going badass again)
Old 2011-12-10, 15:58   Link #55
gsilver

The two biggest problems I see with Masako's fight is that, 1. We still know basically nothing about Mario (is she trying to release him from her grandfather's influence, or what?), and 2. She still has half of the diary.

If she's dead, how will they resolve these points?
Old 2011-12-10, 16:24   Link #56
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

My prefer ending would be Kanba & Himari end up dead. Leaving only Shou x Ringo to form a new family and have twins that resembles Kanba & Himari. I guess this ending would be another cycle of twist for Kanba and how he can never get close to Himari (as lover)
Old 2011-12-10, 16:29   Link #57
YayPepsi

Quote:
Get over it. Shouma is a wuss. I imagine there's a thematic reason why he's portrayed as such a wuss, but I don't care.
Eh. It's so obvious that at the end, Shouma is going to be the main hero. I mean, he is the main character, and he was built up the way he was for the big finish. The guy who is down on himself and doesn't believe in himself and feels guilty starts believing in himself and saves the day. I mean just look at Madoka. (Spoilers ahead for Madoka)
Spoiler:

Not my favorite kind of hero or my favorite kind of storytelling, but that's the way it is. I hope Ikuhara makes it good.
Old 2011-12-10, 20:24   Link #58
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

No way in hell was that 24 minutes.

An excellent follow-up to the epic episode 21. The only thing that immediately comes to mind is that Sanetoshi probably used the Takakura parents just as he's using Kanba, but was foiled by Momoka. The question was always "who were the Takakuras trying to save?" We know they had a son, but if, as the ending seems to suggest, it wasn't Sho, then we may have our answer. Though that wouldn't make a lot of sense, since I seem to recall that their son was born while they were already plotting the 95 incident.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I marked out pretty hard for Double H showing up. The show did a great job holding off on delivering them to us until so late in the game. It really felt like a big deal that they finally appeared.

Last edited by ThereminVox; 2011-12-10 at 20:35.
Old 2011-12-10, 23:14   Link #59
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Am I the only one who didn't really like this episode outside of Masako? Kan using a bowling app to blow shit up was ridiculous, Himari's "death" was ridiculous. Pink haired guy is ridiculous. A ridiculous episode.

Shouma is just beyond useless, I can only think he will be a big piece of this puzzle in the last 2 episodes, I hope. Honestly, he was only tolerable when he was comic relief to Ringo's insanity, what an awful, whishy washy character. Mario has done NOTHING the entire series. You just know he's gonna end up doing something big in the next 2 episode, and I think that's stupid, he's gotten maybe 5 minutes of screen time throughout the entire series.

This is gonna either be a very jam packed last 2 episode (very possible, this show is great at throwing loads of story into single episodes), or a lot of questions will go unanswered. While I've enjoyed the last couple of episodes, I feel they could of honestly been done better, everything just seems so chaotic.
Old 2011-12-10, 23:52   Link #60
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soconfused View Post
Am I the only one who didn't really like this episode outside of Masako? Kan using a bowling app to blow shit up was ridiculous, Himari's "death" was ridiculous. Pink haired guy is ridiculous. A ridiculous episode.
This is a series that featured penguins and squid doing battle in the middle of a subway car. You're just now noticing how ridiculous it is?
Closed Thread