Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenio View Post
people remain are really passionate or got a higher position
I'm fine with this reason
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 09:53   Link #22
solomon

Dude, if I were you I would look at working at whatever opportunities you can come across.

Plus frankly in America, if you manage to get work for a Western Studio, you won't be rich but you will DAMN SURE be making more money then you would if were in Japan.

I think it's great your passionate. You're gonna need it.

Frankly, I am not sure if it's worth it based on the terrible pay you would get in Japan. I mean based on their work schedules and pay, I'm not sure if you could afford to have a life outside of work.

You gotta do a A LOT of research and ask some tough realistic questions man, cause that is no cakewalk. You're gonna be a needle in a hay stack IF you get in there, it's so hard to get in to the Japanese racket cause there is a GLUT of Japanese trying to do the same thing.

Don't just look at the Japanese market, look at your own stateside market and the west too. On the one hand you probably won't be "animating" but odds are you'll be making much more money.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 10:01   Link #23
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
There's just an extremely high amount of new animators. They remain because they just got into the field and animation is the only skill they have and needs to take time to acquire other skills to get a different job.

If you think you got that much passion, then go ahead. But as someone said earlier, a foreigner is not welcomed to the anime industry. You should first look at anime-like studios outside of Japan. (Don't know any)
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 10:03   Link #24
solomon

Yea, I'm just not sure what to tell you. Plus outside of Japan it's 3-d stuff that's all the rage.

If you're in the Phillipines if you play your cards right you could get a job at Toon City doing subcontracting work (they actually do good work).

But yea dude, be passionate and all that but be analytical. You need to do a HELL of a lot of research.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 12:21   Link #25
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Plus frankly in America, if you manage to get work for a Western Studio, you won't be rich but you will DAMN SURE be making more money then you would if were in Japan.

I think it's great your passionate. You're gonna need it.

Frankly, I am not sure if it's worth it based on the terrible pay you would get in Japan. I mean based on their work schedules and pay, I'm not sure if you could afford to have a life outside of work.

You gotta do a A LOT of research and ask some tough realistic questions man, cause that is no cakewalk. You're gonna be a needle in a hay stack IF you get in there, it's so hard to get in to the Japanese racket cause there is a GLUT of Japanese trying to do the same thing.

Don't just look at the Japanese market, look at your own stateside market and the west too. On the one hand you probably won't be "animating" but odds are you'll be making much more money.
Quoted all of this for truth.

I don't know why some other posters are talking about becoming an animator (in Japan or anywhere else) sound like a cakewalk. With how little pay you get in the anime industry, the difficulty of breaking into the Japanese anime field as a non-Japanese person almost isn't worth the effort. They do NOT like non-Japanese people coming into their industry (at the top of their hatred list is Americans, so good thing you're from the Philippines). As I said earlier, it's nice to have passion for animating, and if you want to have it as a hobby then go ahead. But if you want a career in it... Unless you're fucking amazing, it's not worth it -- passion or no passion. And you probably have a ridiculously long away to go in order to even get NEAR that point.
Old 2012-02-13, 16:29   Link #26
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I'm an animation student, this is a brief explanation of what being an animator is.

Firstly, be an animator only if you truly love the art and if making money is not your goal in life.

Know that animation requires alot of hardwork, skill and knowledge. You'll need a great amount of technical skill in the mediums you work in, you need to put in the time and effort to produce the frames, be it 2D or 3D. You'll need to research and learn alot from what you want to animate.

One of the most important exercises for an animator is a 'simple' walk cycle. How does a proud person walk? How about a fat person? What are the differences in the step and hip between a middle age woman and a young woman? What about the terrain? The load that the person is carrying? How would the walk cycle of a timid fat woman walking down a rocky path in the forest at night while carrying a bag of potatoes look like?

You have to think of everything, every single line is an important decision, unlike film, you have to create every single frame from nothing. All the details, the fundamentals, you'll need to have the discipline and skill to produce it.

Animation is an extremely pure form of art, every step in producing the work is a conscious decision. You cannot throw paint around and produce an animation, you cannot randomly draw and expect people to watch it. It is fine art, story telling, film, performance art, music and design combined. You need to be able to produce your images clearly, you need to know how to write a story. You need to know camera angles, pacing, you even need to know how to act, know the space and time viewpoints. You'll need to know anatomy, fashion, architecture, interior design, physics etc.

Animation is a great team effort, of course solo animators have been around for a century. But there are lots of directions an animator can go because of the broad spectrum of skill sets you will need to acquire. An animator also needs to constantly improve as animation is a medium that changes extremely rapidly with technology, new techniques and concepts come up all the time.

And also anime is not the way to go if you want to be a good animator or to make a decent living. The actual fact is that anime is considered technically inferior for international animation standards. Unless you are an extremely skilled animator that has survived in the anime industry for a long time, you'll be working on really bad animation and paid appropriately with meager pay.

Lastly, there are alot of extremely talented people in the animation industry, if you don't aim to be the best, you probably won't be getting in.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 16:59   Link #27
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Lastly, there are alot of extremely talented people in the animation industry, if you don't aim to be the best, you probably won't be getting in.
Well, it seems I must become the best in the Philippines first, lolz
Old 2012-02-13, 18:37   Link #28
djmaca
My Girl ↓

^If your ava is any indication you got the skills already.
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 18:46   Link #29
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
^If your ava is any indication you got the skills already.
What is ava?
Old 2012-02-13, 19:41   Link #30
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
What is ava?
Avatar. It actually has a very fluid motion.
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 19:52   Link #31
Stiletto
Ineffectual Loner

You always have the possibility of making a dream a reality. That isn't a question, it isn't even debate worthy. If you adapt thick skin and chase after it, it ended up less a 'dream' and mroe of a 'possibility'. The only real condition is being realistic. As much as I'd love to be capable of flying, it's out of my physical limits.

You should always make the most of your skills. If you have the money for it, you can always start a program to help you refine your skills. You can always reach new heights with something like art.

As for my dream, it's to be a linguist. I love words and I want to understand everyone. I also want people to understand each other. So, being bilingual is my goal.
Stiletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 20:01   Link #32
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
Avatar. It actually has a very fluid motion.
Oh, hehehe... hmmm, I was planning to share personalize handmade avatars in the future but with my present skills and equipments, I might not even match the real avatars (anime that is).
Old 2012-02-13, 23:51   Link #33
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Well, it seems I must become the best in the Philippines first, lolz
in that case, I think you should meet this girl, she also an amateur animator and aim to be "Philippine Hayao Miyazki", she have made a fair number of animated video in her youtube channel here

Last edited by Kimidori; 2012-02-14 at 00:52.
Kimidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 23:54   Link #34
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well if you went to get paid less then a fast food worker go for it but you mite want some thing to fall back on but it is a good way to get better at drawing and learn industry
Old 2012-02-14, 00:03   Link #35
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
in that case, I think you should meet this girl, she also an amateur animator an aim to be "Philippine Hayao Miyazki", she have made a fair number of animated video in her youtube channel here
I might discuss with her about making better animation...
Old 2012-02-14, 00:12   Link #36
NeoChan
Banned

Talking about the "discouraging" this guy in following his dreams... It's funny to think we continue to comment regarding bad anime designs in some animes knowing those animators making it are being paid less than they deserve.

If all animators quite just because of low pay, I hope no one will say,

"Damn those animators, don't they care what otaku's will feel?"
"Shout up, the only things you guys do is watch and criticize us?! Make your own anime if you can?!

Thank God, there are still people who wish to make anime out of passion.
NeoChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-14, 01:23   Link #37
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
They do NOT like non-Japanese people coming into their industry (at the top of their hatred list is Americans, so good thing you're from the Philippines).
It's widely accepted that Japan shuns outsiders, but where are you getting the rest of this information? Also, as Quarkboy pointed out, much of the animation work is outsourced to places like Korea, and apparently the Philippines as well. If Genji wants to create his own series, he's going to need a lot of luck. If he simply wants to animate, I think he has a realistic shot at it.
Old 2012-02-14, 06:14   Link #38
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
It's widely accepted that Japan shuns outsiders, but where are you getting the rest of this information?
I currently attend an art university and I used to be a Sequential Art major (graphic novel/comic book art for those who're not familiar with that term). A majority of the professors in that department have extensive first-hand industry experience. About 1/3 of the students in that department have a manga style, were influenced by manga, and/or wish to be manga-ka when they graduate. The profs often tell people who say that a) Japan does not like outsiders coming into their market and b) Americans are among their most disliked for a variety of reasons (some of which are more obvious than others), so an American will typically have an even harder time than let's say a Korean person in terms of being accepted by potential Japanese co-workers. Prior to being a SEQA student, I entered this school thinking I was going to major in Animation. The profs in the Animation department said about the same thing to anyone who had a manga drawing style and/or wanted to "go to Japan and make anime!"

My school is the reason I know so much about the art industry; the animation, concept art/illustration, visual effects, and gaming industries in particular.

Anyway, with proper training and a ton of daily drawing from life and anatomy books, I think Genji can learn animation no prob. Getting a job after that point shouldn't be too hard if he aims for a studio that receives outsource work. But if he's aiming to jump into bigger, badder things then he's gonna need a lot more help, imo.

Last edited by Kismet-chan; 2012-02-14 at 06:27.
Kismet-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-14, 20:17   Link #39
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
I currently attend an art university and I used to be a Sequential Art major
As far as I'm concerned, you are an authority on the subject, then. I respect the advice you've given in this thread.
Old 2012-02-14, 21:07   Link #40
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
As far as I'm concerned, you are an authority on the subject, then. I respect the advice you've given in this thread.
Are you being sarcastic? It's hard for me to tell through the internet. The fact that I used to be that major has nothing to do it, but the professors in that dept were ridiculously knowledgeable on the subject (two of whom that I talked to did work in Japan for quite some time).