AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-04-01, 15:26   Link #1
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

Magical Fairy Persia

(Since I couldn't find the original thread, I created this new one. Maybe it was erased when the animesuki's hacking occurred, or maybe it never existed, I don't remember.)

It's good to see someone decided to pick up this long time discontinued series. I always liked it's 80's style. The show itself is well done. It's OP/ED song are also quite nice, even above standard for 80's magical girl anime, IMO.

And it's nice as well to see yet another group picking up old anime. Yay for all of them! Banzai!

Spoiler for Technical "spoiler"... well, not really a spoiler, more like a... technical note... or so... never mind.:

Last edited by tugatosmk; 2008-04-01 at 15:44.
tugatosmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-01, 16:51   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Personally I'm overjoyed to see more Magical Fairy Persia. It has been 4 years since I watched Live-eviL's sub of episode 7, so when I saw episode 8 on BitTorrent my first reaction was "April Fools!" I had to download it and watch it for myself before I was ready to add them to our site. As you can tell from how quickly this show appeared on AnimeSuki I was in a bit of a hurry to discover the truth.

As a tech note: How do you easily change the video rate from 25 fps? I know how to use mkvmerge to turn the avi+ssa into a single mkv file to make it prettier when I archive it, but I'd like to know if I can fix the video rate at the same time.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-01, 18:18   Link #3
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Personally I'm overjoyed to see more Magical Fairy Persia. It has been 4 years since I watched Live-eviL's sub of episode 7, so when I saw episode 8 on BitTorrent my first reaction was "April Fools!" I had to download it and watch it for myself before I was ready to add them to our site. As you can tell from how quickly this show appeared on AnimeSuki I was in a bit of a hurry to discover the truth.
Yes, those were also my thoughts. The day chosen wasn't the best... or maybe it was on purpose. Ironic... lol. I also had to check it first before starting this thread, fearing I'd look like a fool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
As a tech note: How do you easily change the video rate from 25 fps? I know how to use mkvmerge to turn the avi+ssa into a single mkv file to make it prettier when I archive it, but I'd like to know if I can fix the video rate at the same time.
I don't know if mkvmerge has any feature enabling framerate change without recompressing, but in this case, when the container is .avi and the video codec is divx or xvid, Virtualdub can be used to change the framerate without any setbacks.

Since this particular video was most likely accelerated from the original 23,976 fps (like TV stations in Europe used to do with anime and US series, so most of my old anime had the songs and BGM accelerated...), you must use the "Source Rate Adjust" option on "video > framerate". Just type "23.976", and the framerate AND the time length will be correctly changed, making the video longer as it originally was.

If the codec is different, like x264, it's more complicated. So far, I got by using MP4Box which has that option, although it has to be in mp4 format (which MP4Box can create.) I haven't tried thoroughly, but I believe it also changes the time length.

As for the audio, it must also be changed. It has to be decelerated by roughly 4%.
(The calculus is, in percentage: {[(25,000/23,976)-1]x100}=4,271% rounded up). This gives a nearly 100% accurate audio syncro, with an error of possibly 15 ms (miliseconds) for your average 25 mins (or less) episode, which is small and tolerable. (Or 4,2709376042709376042709376042709%, to make it 100% accurate.)

Here, I use Adobe Audition (or its predecessor Cool Edit Pro), a nearly professional audio program, which has this option, with great quality. Unfortunately, you have to extract the audio from the video. It has a horizontal scroll bar that changes speed in percentage relative to the value 100, when on "resample" stretching mode. Since, Values > 100 = slower audio, the value is 100+4,271 = 104,271. Finally, the audio must be merged with the audio. (Call me crazy, but I do this all by hand, yes,... )

I don't know if you have it (maybe I shouldn't have used the word "easy" :\ ), but I've heard there are more accessible programs that also have this feature, probably with a time length change using a direct framerate change algorithm, like Virtualdub's video one, without having to make calculations. (Fortunately, Audition has presets to memorize the values.) I prefer Audition because I have absolute control of the audio file.

So, once all that is done, you could do the mkvmerge thing.

EDIT: Let's not forget one thing, though:

All this I said was with a hard-sub in mind. Since this is a soft-sub, the subtitles would also have to be slowed down separatly. Subtitle Workshop operates well with .srt, but I'm not so sure about .ssa subtitles...

Last edited by tugatosmk; 2008-04-01 at 18:37.
tugatosmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 01:17   Link #4
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Ah. Thanks, but it seems like more work than I want to go through. It's quite watchable at 25fps so I think I'll stick with it. If I was willing to go through that much work to fix it, then I should probably have the subs TCed and edited as well. It isn't only the video source that needs work. Let's just say it isn't a good enough fansub for me to go that crazy fixing it.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2008-04-02, 09:31   Link #5
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

It'd be interesting if the group would be willing to want help on this matter.
Old 2008-04-02, 14:33   Link #6
gumbaloom
Live-eviL Staffer

Send a message via AIM to gumbaloom Send a message via Yahoo to gumbaloom
Well Im not going to make any apologies for Live-eviL about Persia. The last episode was released before I became a staffer and thats a LONG time.

Im curious as to who this group is though and whether or not they are just fixing up vhs fansubber scripts because if they are the quality of the VHS fansubber TLs leaves a little bit to be desired.

-gumbaloom
gumbaloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 20:17   Link #7
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Nobody asked you to make apologies. You were actively looking to find a translator for Persia last year and that is more than was done in the three years before that.

I don't have the VHS to compare this to, but the credits list a translator and a timer (though nothing else) so I'm willing to believe that they actually did the translation. I'm also curious about the group.

Old 2008-04-04, 05:14   Link #8
Access

I am looking through the archives right now and there are these "DOMO (Un) LTD" scripts that have been around for some time. They probably came off scriptclub or a similar entity. Files dated January 1999 so they must have been before that. They begin with a disclaimer and they go up through ep. 19, 20-24 is skipped for some reason and then you have 25-28 which is the last one. Some are timed, albeit poorly. The originals sometimes use "Persha" instead of "Persia" and other anomalies. Otherwise, it matches up pretty well.

Persha: Ah ~ ... you disguised?

Gaku: I was disguised as a women. It was part of a game.
Persha, can you go out and telll him that I will not go out with him!
(kick) ouch! What are you doing? Ouch?

Persha: No way! I was worried about you! You and your game!

Mom: Persha.

etc.
"I was disguised as a women" is a grammatical error I think (should be woman).

Now 19 isn't out yet, but here are the first few lines:
Spoiler:

Note I am typing this by hand so the punctuation / spacing might be off.

VHS 1-4 there is a timed script by "Studio Hooseki" and updated by "Studio Banzai". Not aware of any other VHS subs that were done before year 2000.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 17:02   Link #9
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Ah. Great disappointment. I was hoping someone was actually working on this. Is there anyone who wants to fix up these old scripts with some TC, edit and retiming? Oh, yes, and encoding would be nice as well. I'd volunteer for edit if anyone else is willing to do the rest. I bet we could hit up gumbaloom for raws since L-E must have them. Maybe he'd do encode as well.

I wish we knew who was releasing the old DOMO scripts since it would feel weird to do this without involving him in some way.

Old 2010-07-13, 19:49   Link #10
Aikousha
^_^

I could actually do all of that, provided the scripts. However, even though I'm Asian, my family has been in the US for more than 100 years, and my Gram, even though fluent in both Japanese and Mandarin, didn't teach me any of it. So I have almost no language skill, whatsoever, in anything but English. My timing skills are perfect, but I refuse to encode in anything but .avi and .mp4, and sometimes .mov when doing a re-edit, on a masterfile (therefore the masterfile is unchanged and you get a 2MB .mov file which shows the movie in a different form). I won't do matroska until it is fixed for all platforms, and fixed in general.
I am hesitant to take on projects, since I started to do Dirty Pair TV backwards from 26. I was in the middle of 25 when NOZOMI licensed it, so before I had even posted 26, it got yanked out from under me. That was about a month of research and asset collecting (including scripts, raws, learning all the nuances of the names, places, and terms from the show), and then another month of actual work. It ended up being two months wasted, and all I have to show for it are a test DVD and an .avi file I cannot legally distribute. (made me want to cry). It did please my anime club, though they had nothing to do with it.
So, if someone were to "give" me scripts and the raws, along with a good place to get all the background info I need (I don't know this series anymore than any other watcher, who's been watching these eps), I might give it a shot. But, if you think about just doing that, you'll realize why I'd be hesitant.
In reality, I can do all the technical stuff, but it would be real nice to have someone else doing a real translation. And the only person I know of, personally, who could do that, is so flaky, I couldn't even promise 2 episodes from her.

And, on that note, I noticed all the previous DOMO torrents have long since died, so in just a few minutes (since I am about to archive the eps to DVD-R), I am going to seed them again. Further details see the posting under Seeding Magical Fairy Persia.
Aikousha is offline   Reply With Quote