AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-08-15, 06:57   Link #21
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Mmm do you mean that i put the ram in wrong? On page 35 it shows this, and it's as you say.

But on the next page:

I got 2x 1gb. And i want dual channel. So according to that pic i put them in correct right?

The new ram arrived. It's been running for over a hour without a freeze so far. It looks good, and i started reinstalling my Vista just to make a completely new start. I really hope it will stay stable.

Btw, when putting the new ram in, i notice i forgot to connect the PCI-E 6 pin power cabel. I swapped video card last night, but it even works without the 6 pin... lol... The only thing was that my graphic score went down from 5.9 to 5.6 in Vista...

I also had the pleasure of finally testing my Esata from one of my external HD.
Datatransfer rate of 76mb/s. \o/
Happy fella now as long as it doesn't freeze on me.

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-15, 07:16   Link #22
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

If you're worried about the activation limit for Windows then maybe you should consider acquiring or borrowing some kind of Ghost alternative, such as ShadowProtect Desktop Edition or Acronis True Image Echo Workstation to create a disk/partition image.

From what I know, those two programs are able to perform a disk/partition HIR (Hardware-Independent Restore) so you wouldn't have to worry about nearing the dreaded limit or applying an image to a PC whose hardware configuration has changed in the meantime. I don't know squat about Ghost but SPDE and ATIEW are the only two whose boot CDs are able to both backup and restore, while Ghost 12 (the one I have) can only restore from the boot CD. To backup, installation (plus the .NET Framework) is required.

In my case, I even went as far as sacrificing one activation in order to create a 'generic' XP partition image (it's just your activated, empty XP partition - no other driver or software is installed) just in case my current backup goes FUBAR and I'm forced to restart from scratch.
Old 2008-08-16, 08:34   Link #23
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Thanks.

I remember you asking for a backup tool in software request. The acronis i suggested was a bit flawed, and you found your own alternative. I will give that one a try, as my Acronis is also giving me some problems.

So far everything is going well, i put vista on it instead of XP, and i activated it 6 times lol... Yes i reinstalled 6 times due to some minor mistakes ~~ But everything is running.

I must say, Vista user (my documents) All being on C, and without a easy way to move is the first dislike i got about Vista.

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-16, 08:54   Link #24
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

You're welcome, although I must caution when purchasing SPDE - I read some reviews before trying it out and while half of the users were gushing about the program's backup/restoring high speeds, the other half kept grumbling - so I don't know whether it'll work on any type of computer (barring the possibility that half of those discontent people did something wrong and the program isn't at fault).

Seeing that you've got problems, I'd say play it safe and use Acronis first (I have both the latest Home and Echo Workstation + Universal Restore versions), as more people seem to prefer it and SPDE is still isn't as tried and true as Acronis True Image (what I like with SPDE, though, is that you can directly use the .spf images in VMware Workstation to create virtual machines). Furthermore, my PC is a bit old (I'm still using PATA instead of SATA) so I don't know whether my formula will work for you.

Also, about migrating images from one computer to another with HIR (in the case you have to change more things):

http://www.acronis.fr/enterprise/sup.../articles/502/

And, yeah, I know about reinstalling and reinstalling - that's what happened to me with XP SP2 Home - I kept thinking I had done something wrong and I ended up using all activations. So I nicked someone else's license (he had 'graduated' to Vista) and moved on to Pro. ^_^ But now that I have backups, I can sleep tight without that worry crawling up my back each time I renew my XP install.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2008-08-23 at 02:27.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-23, 00:47   Link #25
Nenkitsune

Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
Oh, btw, don't worry about the windows activation. the past FIVE (yes FIVE) times I have re-installed windows, it has not once told me I could not activate it. It USED to, but it seems some time after vista came out it quit telling me I can't activate it anymore.

and please don't run your videocard without the PCIE power. You WILL hurt it by supplying it with insufficient power and it's not going to be very happy at all.

もいちど。。。
Nenkitsune is offline   Reply With Quote