AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-27, 22:27   Link #1621
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Judas H Priest! 8400 yen (~$98!!) for the "cheapie" BD? Bend over otaku...

Wonder how long before that dips down into the realm of reasonability... Considering shipping to the States alone is going to be $30, I love Haruhi, and I want to buy this blu-ray, English subs or not, but I'm not dropping a c-note on it when Bandai will be releasing it in the US a few months later for well than half the price (and no shipping)... I got bills to pay...
The 20% off on Amazon cancels out the shipping (which is only $20). Also, this will be shipping in december when hopefully the yen will have recovered somewhat.
Old 2010-08-31, 18:08   Link #1622
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Amazon's Steel Book exclusive LE BD version has rocketed up to 24th on Amazon's best sellers. That's 24th on the entire year for all of DVD/Blu-Ray from Amazon Japan. It's the best selling set for August (yes, even beating out One Piece) while the normal LE BD is 29th for August. It's not ranked for the year (yet). The BD Box is 21st currently, but that can and probably will change very soon.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2010-09-02, 01:21   Link #1623
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
Ah crap, I just remembered my PS3 (UK version) won't play region A Blu-ray movie.

Does anyone know officially what region code its gonna be in? Yesasia states that its region A on their site and CDJapan says region-free.

禁則事項です
Old 2010-09-02, 15:22   Link #1624
TMSIDR
Haruhi's Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha_Trueno View Post
Ah crap, I just remembered my PS3 (UK version) won't play region A Blu-ray movie.

Does anyone know officially what region code its gonna be in? Yesasia states that its region A on their site and CDJapan says region-free.
It probably will be region free like nearly all Japanese anime Blu-rays (at least the ones I own). Yesasia does only lists the default region code of the country the BD is produced, so CD-Japan probably know more^^.
Old 2010-09-02, 15:46   Link #1625
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha_Trueno View Post

Since I have not played any BD that isn't from Japan (Railgun's 8 volumes and the Haruhi-chan set) on my computer, and the drive itself has not set a default region, I can conclude that all of those BDs were region-free.

I doubt Kadokawa will put region locking on the movie when the Haruhi-chan was region-free, so it'd be safe to assume it's region free as well.

Old 2010-09-02, 19:12   Link #1626
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSIDR View Post
It probably will be region free like nearly all Japanese anime Blu-rays (at least the ones I own). Yesasia does only lists the default region code of the country the BD is produced, so CD-Japan probably know more^^.
Yeah I suspected this, since Clannad and Kanon I'm pretty sure were region free, but on their site it says they are region A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Since I have not played any BD that isn't from Japan (Railgun's 8 volumes and the Haruhi-chan set) on my computer, and the drive itself has not set a default region, I can conclude that all of those BDs were region-free.

I doubt Kadokawa will put region locking on the movie when the Haruhi-chan was region-free, so it'd be safe to assume it's region free as well.
Thanks for the reassurance guys.

禁則事項です
Old 2010-09-06, 06:58   Link #1627
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

The Kadokawa listing changed today to say that the movie is without any subtitle track on all releases. There's still no page on the official fansite.

Edit: If anyone wants to contact Kadokawa and request the official English subtitles (which were very good), please use their "Contact us" form on their website.

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2010-09-06 at 17:54.
Old 2010-09-06, 22:17   Link #1628
wistfulloner

More importantly, what is the release date of The Disappearance DVD?

Official subs or not don't really matter to me, the fanbase usually takes care of that.
Old 2010-09-06, 22:27   Link #1629
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

The way things are looking, I wouldn't be surprised if they do a simultaneous release in the US and Japan on December 18th.
Old 2010-09-07, 05:57   Link #1630
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
The way things are looking, I wouldn't be surprised if they do a simultaneous release in the US and Japan on December 18th.
There is certainly time to do it... The only question is if Kadokawa would allow it, if the Japanese version is more expensive than the American release. The price difference had been the barrier to simultaneous releases for an eternity.
Old 2010-09-07, 06:48   Link #1631
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfulloner View Post
More importantly, what is the release date of The Disappearance DVD?

Official subs or not don't really matter to me, the fanbase usually takes care of that.
Bandai has not announced a release date for the R1 copy. They have taken 4 months and 6 months from the last respective Japanese release to release their own version. That would put this release around April-June of next year if they follow that time period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
There is certainly time to do it... The only question is if Kadokawa would allow it, if the Japanese version is more expensive than the American release. The price difference had been the barrier to simultaneous releases for an eternity.
The cast started dubbing in May for the "Second Season", thanks to Crispin's tweets, which was set to be released in August, a difference of about 2.5 months. They would have to start dubbing this month in order to have a simultaneous release with the Japanese version (and likely they'd have to put the dub on the JP ver as well).

For those ordering from Amazon Japan, here's a little mock-up of what to expect from the "Steel Book" edition:

Old 2010-09-08, 09:29   Link #1632
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
As well as the region difference, which has "disappeared" (yuk yuk) with the advent of Blu-ray (not to mention the fact that so many anime BDs are regionless anyway). Now the ability for Japanese and Americans to "officially" watch each other's releases makes it much easier for the original distributors and American licensors to step on each others toes, so you know there are going to be contractual stipulations in the licensing agreements to avoid this. I'm going to suggest a difference of at least several months, like we normally get, even if Bandai already has the license.
Old 2010-09-08, 21:47   Link #1633
wistfulloner

Aside from all this Jap/US brouhaha, I'm hoping Kadokawa won't forget about its fans in smaller regions as well. Its so easy to overlook a small red dot in the middle of South East Asia...

Also, there's economic incentive for all movie producers to ship out DVDs or Blurays shortly after the movie has opened, why does Kadokawa hold back DVD distribution? The longer they wait, the more fan interest in the movie will wane over time. Given the legacy of the Haruhi series, the depreciation of the movie might not be too drastic, but why would Kadokawa wanna wait anyway? Promotional purposes?
Old 2010-09-08, 21:54   Link #1634
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

Quote:
Aside from all this Jap/US brouhaha, I'm hoping Kadokawa won't forget about its fans in smaller regions as well. Its so easy to overlook a small red dot in the middle of South East Asia...

Also, there's economic incentive for all movie producers to ship out DVDs or Blurays shortly after the movie has opened, why does Kadokawa hold back DVD distribution? The longer they wait, the more fan interest in the movie will wane over time. Given the legacy of the Haruhi series, the depreciation of the movie might not be too drastic, but why would Kadokawa wanna wait anyway? Promotional purposes?
You aren't the only one living in the small red dot

I'm planning on buying it online somehow, although at $150 in local currency... Hmmm...
Old 2010-09-09, 03:25   Link #1635
Hedd
Random Object

I this even going to be released in Blu-ray? The 2nd season box is almost out and all I've seen is DVD. It's like Kadokawa is allergic to blu ray.
Old 2010-09-09, 03:46   Link #1636
bayoab

Quote:
Also, there's economic incentive for all movie producers to ship out DVDs or Blurays shortly after the movie has opened, why does Kadokawa hold back DVD distribution?
No there isn't. You always release after the film leaves theaters or it only serves to eat into your theater revenue. The only reason the US distributors do it so quickly is the extremely high number and ease of access to bootlegs. Japanese distributors really don't have this problem.

Quote:
The longer they wait, the more fan interest in the movie will wane over time. Given the legacy of the Haruhi series, the depreciation of the movie might not be too drastic, but why would Kadokawa wanna wait anyway? Promotional purposes?
Interest in the release is not going to change too much because:
1) It is still the latest entry in the series.
2) The home video release is targeted at the fans who would buy it regardless of when it comes out.
3) Depreciation of core aimed movies in Japan is almost non-existent. What they do need to avoid is the other major releases as those are the true competitors. (Fate: UBW, Nanoha, etc)

This is the standard pattern for core anime movies in Japan. It isn't just Kadokawa. Every single movie falls into this pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedd View Post
I this even going to be released in Blu-ray? The 2nd season box is almost out and all I've seen is DVD. It's like Kadokawa is allergic to blu ray.
Yes?
Old 2010-09-09, 21:47   Link #1637
Hedd
Random Object

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
ok, lemme clarify. Is this going to be imported in blu ray? While I do enjoy my anime, I don't plan on paying 3x the actual price of it.
Old 2010-09-10, 01:18   Link #1638
blooglah24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedd View Post
ok, lemme clarify. Is this going to be imported in blu ray? While I do enjoy my anime, I don't plan on paying 3x the actual price of it.
Or you could say that you prefer paying 3x less than the "actual price".

Anyway, the movie has been licensed by Bandai, who I believe have only confirmed a DVD version but have not announced a release date yet. I personally doubt that we'll see a BD version of the movie from them for a while, if we even see one at all.
Old 2010-09-10, 12:36   Link #1639
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blooglah24 View Post
Anyway, the movie has been licensed by Bandai, who I believe have only confirmed a DVD version but have not announced a release date yet. I personally doubt that we'll see a BD version of the movie from them for a while, if we even see one at all.
Why wouldn't we? Once the voice acting is done for the DVD, it carries over exactly to the BD. Is it really that much extra effort to sell a BD version as well? Is it a question of popularity and profits?
Old 2010-09-10, 18:23   Link #1640
Garby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
Why wouldn't we? Once the voice acting is done for the DVD, it carries over exactly to the BD. Is it really that much extra effort to sell a BD version as well? Is it a question of popularity and profits?
Well, worst case scenario you could buy the DVD version, rip the audio streams, buy the Japanese Blu-Ray, rip the video stream, and then, throwing Egon Spengler's advice to the curb, mux the streams.

Like a boss.
Closed Thread

Tags
science fiction, shounen