Notices

Old 2010-10-14, 12:09   Link #361
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I
1. Trude Barkhorn (Female Hyur)
2. Sanya Litvyak (Female Miquote, what else?)
3. Eila Juutilainenn (Female Hyur)
4. Ursula Hartmann (Female Hyur)
5. Mio Sakamoto (Female Miquote)

of course you would be the person to find them XD
Old 2010-10-14, 12:39   Link #362
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassarai View Post
I just don't see enough potential in the game. Is it possible to fix the copy/pasta terrains? Can they change the map design so everywhere doesn't look like a pacman maze?
Nope, but they can use it in a new map. I bet there will be a snow city later on.

Though I wish they would introduce the Gunnery skill first. My character is named after one of Rie's character that uses guns and swords.

Quote:
I read that the UI lag is done on purpose to prevent hacks so that might not even be fix. Add that along with a bad buying/selling system, lack of creative monsters, and a boring combat system just makes this game feel way too incomplete.
How the heck does that even deter hackers?? Total bullshit concept dreamed up by some nooby worthless idiot in the planning - if a hacker wanted to know which value changed during an action he could have just put the game in window mode and scour through tsearch for the next 15-30 minutes!

The UI lag seriously causes timing issues during high server volumes, I already died on almost every level 20 quest ONCE because of skill timings - my skill array is structured in a way that allows high damage per shot to kill faster due to my low HP.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-14, 14:21   Link #363
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

I'm just gonna sit back and wait for patches while I play fable 3 and fallout NV
Old 2010-10-15, 07:44   Link #364
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
I'm just gonna sit back and wait for patches while I play fable 3 and fallout NV
Well the game is more playable now after they allocated tax cuts to differentiate Market Wards (and they have to implement the DAMN PATCH after I bought a Plumed Willow SB for 100k!).

The economy is going to stabilise after some time....no more idiots trying to hawk bronze skillets for 40k each (price should be 7k-10k by right, should be devaluating in the next few days). And the price of crystals are going to rise now, probably around 200-300 per shard and 2k-3k per crystal.

At least I managed to profit from Brass Rings before this came in. Bought 8 off a person at 2k each in Ul'dah, sold them in Limsa at 5k each, minus 500 for the tax. A whooping 20k profit at 225% sale price (including tax).

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-10-15, 08:33   Link #365
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

You shooulda joined basied, rp server
Old 2010-10-15, 10:00   Link #366
Sassarai
Army of One

From reading forums it seems like the patch was underwhelming. Still no auto sort, 1 retainer, and a bunch of other major issues that hasn't been addressed.

Looks like they are giving another free trial month o_O. S.E knows they are in trouble.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com...41f0d8c4e88994

Looks like the best time to give this game a try is next year when they fix a lot of the issues.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com...e6fc02b03b1184

Last edited by Sassarai; 2010-10-15 at 11:28.
Sassarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 11:00   Link #367
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Come on F2P *trollface*
Old 2010-10-15, 11:37   Link #368
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Square-Enix sure screwed the pooch on this one. How could they not learn their lesson from FFXI? How could they screw this up so bad? Just cloning WoW guarantees at least modest success, and they do this instead.
Old 2010-10-15, 13:07   Link #369
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
You shooulda joined basied, rp server
No way am I going to ever play an MMO without a PvP system - where is the fun when you can try to kill someone with godly equipment with a few tricks and skill array?

Scouring shot, Quelling shot, Multishot and Heavy shot are created specially for the archer just for PvP; they aren't that useful in boss battles.

On the player-type spectrum, I am the Clubs - an explorer not only for the land but for strategies and tactics as well. That is why I can never go on a RP server without boring my skull out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassarai View Post
From reading forums it seems like the patch was underwhelming. Still no auto sort, 1 retainer, and a bunch of other major issues that hasn't been addressed.
From this patch it seems as though the programmers are coerced by the sales and marketing into an early release - I just messed around with the game files during the last 2 hours and found out that there are MANY LOCKED IMPLEMENTATIONS, including UI and something that looks like a rudimentary search system, not sure what for.

Quote:
Looks like the best time to give this game a try is next year when they fix a lot of the issues.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com...e6fc02b03b1184
Meanwhile, watch people hitting level caps and creating new characters; that is what I am planning to do.

Old 2010-10-15, 13:22   Link #370
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

wait, xiv has pvp? Since when?
Old 2010-10-15, 13:42   Link #371
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
wait, xiv has pvp? Since when?
It supposedly has a PvP system, but how to trigger it is either unknown or not yet implemented.

I haven't played the RP server yet, what is it like and how different is it from the normal servers?

Old 2010-10-15, 14:01   Link #372
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Not diffrent just the unofficial rp server where most of the rpers went.
Old 2010-10-15, 15:14   Link #373
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Not diffrent just the unofficial rp server where most of the rpers went.
So what is in there other than no PvP-ing?

Actually I drafted up a small but comprehensive plan for SE to improve on this game, based on what to fix first and last :

---------------------------------------

1. Economy
The economy is screwed up because of unbalanced supply and demand issues across the world. To counter that, there should be a centralised exchange or bazaar rather than one split into different towns.

When supply and demand comes, there is an often overlooked point in macroeconomics : price. It fluctuates according to supply and demand, namely the number of players creating it in the market versus the number of players who want them in the market. Here are the scenarios with supply in perspective :

1. Supply goes up + demand goes down/demand unchanged/goes up slower = Price goes down
Fix : Increase demand or impose a supply shortage, ingame mechanic would be to decrease harvesting points for one of the necessary materials for the items.

2. Supply goes down + demand goes up/unchanged/goes down slower = Price goes up
Fix : Increase demands/gather rates. Cheapen the prices sold at NPC stores.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything is supposed to go up together : that is called inflation. Of course, other than manipulating NPC prices according to economic data, we can introduce interesting events such as :

Shipping/air delivery
One can deliver items to another part of the world market through a shipping service. The player can send a retainer on the ship to deliver the items to another port to sell, or do so personally - should be no problem after the extra retainer has been implemented. A player could take the state-owned vessel to ship their goods (more expensive), or use a player run shipping service, which is cheaper. Of course, that would bring me to another idea :

Piracy to ships / hijack
Depending on the shipping service, the player would be subjected to pirate attacks. The state-owned vessel (run by NPCs) would be hijacked by NPCs, while the other will be hijacked by REAL PLAYERS. This would bring a new element to PvP where there will be players on both sides, one trying to hijack a cargo, another trying to protect it.

This will give rise to a impromptu security company eventually owned by players providing ship security. Of course, there will always be volunteers inside of a task force to protect shipping lanes.

Capturing a ship would allow the pirates to ransom the parent company for money, or hire a task force to retake the ship. There could also be a possibility of pirate wars and delayed shipments, further influencing the macroeconomy.

Town wars
Not enough crafters ingame? No problem, start a war between parts of the world! Players are automatically assigned to their starting town, but have a choice to defect or migrate. Have NPCs take the supplies off the hands of the newbie crafters under the pretext of war for a reasonable sum so they can advance themselves into making higher-level equipment for the player economy. This may simulate a war economy eventually, with the game masters acting as the UN Security Council of all sorts ingame.

This idea uses the fatigue system and the supply-demand-price concept to its advantage, the more players craft the same item, the less the NPC will pay for it. To prevent players from grinding all the way, the fatigue system will reduce the amount of exp garnered for the crafting processes and increase the fail rate over time.

2. Combat mechanic
Not much to say here, but these are a few suggestions :

Eating something that is quite tasty to the player reduces the cooldown for weakened state. I will post more ideas when I have time; I have a damn assignment to submit later and I have done nothing yet!

Old 2010-10-15, 16:14   Link #374
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Im sure PVP can be RPed but only 20% of the people are RPers and dont RP out of LS or party.
Old 2010-10-15, 16:20   Link #375
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Not enough Gameplay And Story Segregation in this game.

Also, SE needs to quit this "neener, neener, we're not telling" attitude concerning gameplay and questing. Nobody thinks smashing their head into a brick wall for hours, days, weeks and months on end to be fun.
Old 2010-10-15, 16:23   Link #376
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Not enough Gameplay And Story Segregation in this game.

Also, SE needs to quit this "neener, neener, we're not telling" attitude concerning gameplay and questing. Nobody thinks smashing their head into a brick wall for hours, days, weeks and months on end to be fun.
We have to thank those opportunists in marketing for that : they only released the information in the FFXIV official guide. *sarcastic*

It isn't a problem for me now other than the marketplace : Level 27, at least a level 10 in all crafting and gathering skills, 13 on main combat (Archer), 10 on secondary combat (Marauder) with Cure and Sacrifice as self-heal skills. And that took 2 weeks of grinding.

Old 2010-10-17, 02:37   Link #377
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Still, when all is said and done, the key factor that keeps me playing any given RPG is the quality of its world and story concept. I've stuck with even more poorly implemented games in the past, simply because I had become emotionally involved with the story's progress.

In that sense, I'm still curious about how FFXIV will develop. Despite its many surface similarities, Eorzea does present interesting world concepts that are subtly different from Vana'diel's.
Not much of INTERESTING other than broken combat mechanics, unfinished travel options, Discovery Age economics (a good avenue for profiteering actually for repairmen), and repetitive geography. There isn't even much at Coerthas and the other desert city.
Discovery Age is probably the best way to describe Eorzea's overall world theme. In that sense, it offers something different from Vana'diel, which had a heavier emphasis on nationalism and ethnic rivalries.

The one thing that always fascinated me about the Final Fantasy franchise is how its writers adapt real-world issues into their games' storylines. In the case of Vana'diel, it incorporated issues as diverse as capitalistic greed (Bastok's plutocratic merchants), racial tensions (the humes' disdain for the typically working-class galka), xenophobia (the infuriating ethnic chauvinism of San d'Oria's elvaan), misplaced patriotism (the over-proud elvaan aristocracy, clinging stubbornly to fading glory) and environmental degradation (the priaries around Windhurst, slowly being wrecked by an experiment gone awry).

By the time players first enter FFXI, Vana'diel had already undergone an entire generation of socio-cultural and political upheaval. The Crystal War that nearly destroyed all civilisation 20 years prior to the start of the game is comparable, in a way, to World War II in our reality — it marked the complete end of one way of life and the beginning of something entirely new. Vana'diel's Age of Adventurers was a time of unprecedented social mobility, as men and women of all races and nationalities mixed freely, fighting the remnants of beastmen tribes that still openly roamed the land.

To a certain extent, the airship was a symbol of the new era. The flying machines were introduced to Vana'diel shortly after the start of the Crystal War, revived by the Grand Duchy of Jeuno and improved upon by Cid, Bastok's engineer extraordinaire. The airships facilitated the crumbling of national borders and connected former rival cities together in a vast network with Jeuno, the leading power of the new world order, serving as the hub of all trade and travel.

As a young adventurer visiting each of the nations early in the game's storyline, you could immediately sense the differences in culture and political attitude between them. It gave the world a sense of history and reality, making Vana'diel feel plausible in a way WoW's Azeroth never did for me.

===========

Eorzea, to me, is a subtly different world because of the heavier emphasis on individual enterprise and endeavour. The continent, in a way, feels like the Africa of our world, a vast land of rich, untapped resources. The individual city-states embrace a frontiersmen-like work ethic. National pride does not appear to matter as much as individual advancement through dedication to one's chosen profession.

Overall, there also seems to be a stronger environmental theme, as all three main plots appear to hint at a major disturbance in the natural balance, thus awakening mythical creatures that threaten to bring apocalyptic ruin to the world.

And unlike Vana'diel, which had already sustained and survived a world war, Eorzea had not yet been actually invaded. The threat of attack by the Garlean Empire, with its superior technology such as airships and apparently advanced firearms, is always looming in the background. But, as hinted in FFXIV's opening movie, the imperial forces appear to be kept at bay, for the time being, by primal forces. What those primal forces may be, the player-adventurers will probably one day discover as they delve deeper into the game's plot.

===========

That much, I have gleaned. Of course, most of it were filled in by my imagination, based on hints provided by various NPCs in the game. But that, to me, is part of the fun of playing RPGs — we're supposed to "live" and "imagine" in the make-belief world. The extent to which we are able to do so is testament to an RPG's ability to provide immersive gameplay.

At the moment, it's true that FFXIV is still very, very thin on the ground in terms of plot-driven content. But I see potential, and I'm curious to see where it will all go. (Hopefully, of course, before I get too frustrated with the game's broken mechanics and quit before the action starts. )
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-17, 18:49   Link #378
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Discovery Age is probably the best way to describe Eorzea's overall world theme. In that sense, it offers something different from Vana'diel, which had a heavier emphasis on nationalism and ethnic rivalries.
So, do we get an imperial age?

Most MMOs are driven by the players, and like the real world economy and politics, it runs mostly on greed and fear. Right now, I enjoyed capitalising on opportunities after buying a brass spear at 146k, then selling it at 180k.

An iron spear costs a whooping 270k. I have yet to see a player buying it yet....maybe when the supply increases? I don't know, getting iron material for the weapons are hard enough, and the botch rate for synthesing one is much higher.

Since you have brought up the world theme and timeline, I would say that the storyboarding theme did a good job of belaying the introduction of Gunnery. As cool as it sounds, leaving it to the later stages of the game is a pretty good idea, though I do not know what will become of Archery after that is introduced.

Money earning tip : After the 2nd Retainer is made available, start hoarding flint stones. They are around 800-1000 each, probably dropping to 500-800 ea, with the introduction of guns, it would shoot up to 1000-2000 each.

Quote:
As a young adventurer visiting each of the nations early in the game's storyline, you could immediately sense the differences in culture and political attitude between them. It gave the world a sense of history and reality, making Vana'diel feel plausible in a way WoW's Azeroth never did for me.
That is pretty deep of you. The first thing I did when I went ingame was run and grind my physical levels.

The culture of the game isn't much developed yet other than Gridania's shunning of the desert and seaside folks for desecrating the nature. Interestingly, it has the only opening cinematic that does not have a goddess's mindspeak.

Quote:
Overall, there also seems to be a stronger environmental theme, as all three main plots appear to hint at a major disturbance in the natural balance, thus awakening mythical creatures that threaten to bring apocalyptic ruin to the world.

And unlike Vana'diel, which had already sustained and survived a world war, Eorzea had not yet been actually invaded. The threat of attack by the Garlean Empire, with its superior technology such as airships and apparently advanced firearms, is always looming in the background. But, as hinted in FFXIV's opening movie, the imperial forces appear to be kept at bay, for the time being, by primal forces. What those primal forces may be, the player-adventurers will probably one day discover as they delve deeper into the game's plot.
The next story quest is at level 30. Need 2 more levels!

Quote:
That much, I have gleaned. Of course, most of it were filled in by my imagination, based on hints provided by various NPCs in the game. But that, to me, is part of the fun of playing RPGs — we're supposed to "live" and "imagine" in the make-belief world. The extent to which we are able to do so is testament to an RPG's ability to provide immersive gameplay.

At the moment, it's true that FFXIV is still very, very thin on the ground in terms of plot-driven content. But I see potential, and I'm curious to see where it will all go. (Hopefully, of course, before I get too frustrated with the game's broken mechanics and quit before the action starts. )
Which server are you on? I seriously need more people to play with me - as brilliant as a plan to play this game and stay at home will reduce my monthly expenses by 50% (it already did, and a further 5% thanks to the free 30 days more), if I get bored, this plan goes to nothing.

On the other hand, I realise that class buffs like Raging Strike and Ferocity can be cross-classed to a devastating effect. I usually hit around 100 with my Plumed Willow SB, but with Raging Strike and Ferocity with Puncture, I hit up to 300+. With Wide Volley, I can do an epic clusterf***ing hitting 300+ to anything within the Area-Of-Effect.

Old 2010-10-17, 19:26   Link #379
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

well im on Basied if you wonna switch servers XD
Old 2010-10-17, 19:52   Link #380
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
well im on Basied if you wonna switch servers XD
No way. I am already overleveled on this server. It takes alot of patience to come up with level 10 in every crafting and gathering skill.

Tags
mmorpg