AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2012-05-01, 11:43   Link #21
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I listen to a lot of podcasts. It's nice to see more and more pop up each year.

Here's you're checklist:
  • 4 people, typically 3 hosts 1 guest is pretty good format; 5 also works--never get more then 2 guests though
  • itunes is a must; it's just really convenient to subscribe to
  • weekly is good, twice a month also works; daily is pretty meh (bad content, always unprepared), monthly is easily forgotten
  • 1h minimum (probably not going to meet that if you do just upcomming)
  • (with the exception of guests) nobody is allowed to have crappy 1$ microphones (screeching voices kill podcasts)
  • make sure you got some mic rules in place so everyone knows when to shut the hell up and let the other guy talk--podcasts where people talk over eachother never make it past the first minutes of the first episode
  • you need to accept mail, and have a mailbox segment
  • you need an archive site of some sort with all your information and handle news
  • register a twitter account; any "updates" such as technical issues, delays, re-schedule, etc post it there; it's easier to subscribe to then rss feeds
  • video podcasts with host cameras tend to be more civil, you can also do random video background and voice only; the reason to do video is because sites like youtube are a lot more accessible then various podcasts platforms, some of which have crapped out over the years
  • ...oh and for the love of god don't make one of those stupid podcasts where you have a bunch of people who all share the same exact opinion on everything
Old 2012-05-01, 12:07   Link #22
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Thank you for the pointers. I was actually investigating about making a podcast last year, and I pretty much know what we need tech wise, but it's always good for people to start chipping in.

Since no mods have jumped to call me out on this one I think that it's pretty much OK if we go ahead with this, right?

Niker

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 12:25   Link #23
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

you need some friend and some senior possibly mod support to do this thing. i am guessing you should PM mod if they interested

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 12:45   Link #24
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niker117 View Post
Since no mods have jumped to call me out on this one I think that it's pretty much OK if we go ahead with this, right?
You need to pm them for them to notice.
Old 2012-05-01, 12:51   Link #25
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

I just PMed relentlessflame. Let's hope for the best.

Assuming this gets Green lit, Who's interested?

Niker

Old 2012-05-01, 13:50   Link #26
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

There's another choice for Animesuki's podcast : relentlessflame should be a main presentator of this podcast, but some side presentators working in some episodes are fine.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 14:05   Link #27
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Relentlessflame as host? He'll talk about about figures all day... and night...
Old 2012-05-01, 17:30   Link #28
Vanguard

well I could be a Co-host or something I been liking anime for 21 years im mostly up to date and i had 3 years high school in Radio hosting and my english is fluent with some small fails here and there not every one is perfect. But well if you need an extra hand and no one of the more well known members wanna help out I mean.
Vanguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 18:09   Link #29
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Good idea, got my backing, Can join in if needed as a special, dont mind
Old 2012-05-01, 21:12   Link #30
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Everyone has their quirks, right?

Anyway, thread moved to Feedback since it's more appropriate here. I will say that anything with our name attached to it will require our consent, and that isn't easily granted.
Old 2012-05-01, 22:54   Link #31
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Well, the podcast really does have a good support going I'm not typically afraid to voice myself on the internet. So if you need others to chat with, I'm available Everything seems fine, just need the moderator's approval before anything else happens with Animesuki in its name.
Old 2012-05-01, 23:04   Link #32
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
lol - I have a lot more interests than figures, you know. (I'm actually sort of surprised that, of all the things I talk about, you picked that. I've posted some pictures from time-to-time, but I rarely talk about it. ) But I would probably have a lot more to say about merchandise in general than most people, given that I collect the stuff...

Well, as for this idea, I do like audio podcasts and listen to them regularly. But making a good podcast is an awful lot of work that requires a lot of planning, coordination, editing, and most of all dedication. I mean, sure, you could just get a bunch of people on Skype and chat randomly, but that's not very fun or interesting for people to listen to, and it comes across as rather aimless and scatterbrained. I estimate that the commitment involved to doing this well would be about 5-10 hours per episode for the main coordinator, and a little less for each of the other hosts (but the show will be better the more they invest). Given that everyone would be volunteering, it may be hard to ask for that sort of commitment, particularly if you want to do the sort of show that felix suggested (weekly or bi-weekly with a core team, segments, and one or two guests). Keep in mind that most of the podcasts that were referenced are backed by some sort of company or advertiser; I'm not sure it'd be easy for us to get any sponsors given that we're a site with that lists (unlicensed) torrents...

The other thing is that a podcast requires a good core team that have a good rapport with each other and can carry on a good conversation that balances multiple points of view (as was said, they can't all agree, but at the same time they have to be civil in their disagreements and get along deep down, or it'll never last). Finding the right hosts that have the right dynamics would basically require some sort of an interviewing process, and probably some pilot episodes. Again, that takes time and commitment, along with a certain sort of agreement about who "owns" the project. If it's going to be in the name of AnimeSuki, that'd probably have to be one of the staff...

And last but not least, I guess I'm not exactly clear on the mandate for this podcast and what would differentiate it from other podcasts out there. Is it going to be sort of like a "book reading club" where everyone watches the same shows and sit down to talk about it on a regular basis? Is it going to be some sort of an anime news and information show where everyone talks about what's new and interesting? Or is it going to be more a thematic show, where we pick an anime-related topic and have a roundtable discussion/debate? Why would people (whether forum members or not) want to listen to this podcast? I guess I'm sort of asking what the "business case" for such a thing would be, even though I know it's not a business. Rather than taking on the "big project", might it be better to start small and work your way up?

So anyway, I think there's a lot more work to be done in the concept stage before anyone can commit to such a project. I guess people can make proposals for what sort of show they'd like to see and why it'd be better/different from what else is out there, and you'd have to see if any of the staff jump on the idea. As for myself, I guess I won't completely reject the idea, but like Tempester I'm not too sure if I'm willing to put my real identity out there, and I just don't think I have the time to run the project. Plus, even if one or more of the staff were to be involved, we'd still have to get more agreement if we're going to put the official name on it. It'd probably be a lot easier for people to go on their own and make an "Unofficial AnimeSuki Podcast", as it were.
Old 2012-05-02, 15:59   Link #33
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

I've an idea. Anyone who's interested contact me.

flame, would you be OK if we made you a trial podcast and see if you like it, and if you do you give us the A-OK to work on something like this?

Niker

Old 2012-05-02, 16:34   Link #34
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
flame, would you be OK if we made you a trial podcast and see if you like it, and if you do you give us the A-OK to work on something like this?
Well, I think the best thing for now would be just to make it "The Unofficial AnimeSuki Podcast", and then you don't have to get an "ok" from anyone (since it's Unofficial). If at some point the staff want to be involved and make it an official project, then it could change to "Official".
Old 2012-05-02, 16:35   Link #35
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

That sounds good enough. The Unofficial AnimeSuki Podcast...

You OK with us using animesuki in the name?

Niker

Old 2012-05-02, 17:23   Link #36
spikexp

I would listen to it.

Make it unofficial, if it work, maybe it will become official.

You should make a schedule, just an example of what it might be and talk about... What are you going to talk about for 1 hours?
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 17:35   Link #37
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Like mr.flame said, make it unofficial first, then see how it goes in terms of feedback, and lastly plan your next course of action. At this planning stage, it's easy to plan and all but executing it is a different thing altogether. So I'm sure if you actually go through with your plan, more ppl will be supportive of your idea.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 17:40   Link #38
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Well I've been thinking for the first episode.

1-3': Intro song (HanaIro's 1st OP)
3-5': What we are.
5-10': Who we are, as in who is who, a bit about ourselves.
10-15': Small vocal preview about Little Busters (No spoilers). It is the biggest show of the year if it comes out imo, so we could talk about it a bit.
15-20': Review of an older Anime-Manga (say Angel Beats!) and opinions.
20-25': Move into the current anime situation, and give ideas about which shows are actually airing and who subs them.
25-30': Small review about each of the animes airing atm. (ie: Natsuiro Kiseki is considered a slice of life, bla bla bla. Main characters are bla bla bla, it is good for the people looking for bla bla bla)
30-35': Intermission. Play one or two intros for some Anime (C3 anyone?)
35-40': Go on with the current shows, and we each talk about what we are actually watching atm.
40-45': Funny posts from AnimeSuki (little strange posts every once in a while, so we take them from AS and tell you the funniest, in context)
45-50': A bit of odd news from Sankaku complex maybe?
50-55': Outro, we talk about anything that may be interesting according to the episode we are doing.
55-60': ED of choice.

Keep in mind that we are talking about a very rough draft about what this could be, feel free to add, give an opinion, etc.

Anyone interested, I say again, PM me or VM me.

So far we need editors, vocals (as in hosts), PR... Anyone who thinks that s/he can give something, fear not ask.

Of course, for hosts, it is a must to own a good powerful microphone.

Niker

Old 2012-05-03, 00:20   Link #39
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Sankaku Complex is a lousy blog that twists facts in an attempt to be sensational. Even an informal podcast would lose its credibility if it references that site.

Otherwise, your plan sounds good to me. I'll listen to the first episode if I can.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 00:40   Link #40
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

It's not a bad idea and if you can pull it off, then of course by all means. I'm already planning to start webseries for my blog though, so although I have the equipment necessary I don't think I'd do more than listen in...unless I had more info and/or a reason to convince me otherwise.

Quote:
1-3': Intro song (HanaIro's 1st OP)
3-5': What we are.
5-10': Who we are, as in who is who, a bit about ourselves.
10-15': Small vocal preview about Little Busters (No spoilers). It is the biggest show of the year if it comes out imo, so we could talk about it a bit.
15-20': Review of an older Anime-Manga (say Angel Beats!) and opinions.
20-25': Move into the current anime situation, and give ideas about which shows are actually airing and who subs them.
25-30': Small review about each of the animes airing atm. (ie: Natsuiro Kiseki is considered a slice of life, bla bla bla. Main characters are bla bla bla, it is good for the people looking for bla bla bla)
30-35': Intermission. Play one or two intros for some Anime (C3 anyone?)
35-40': Go on with the current shows, and we each talk about what we are actually watching atm.
40-45': Funny posts from AnimeSuki (little strange posts every once in a while, so we take them from AS and tell you the funniest, in context)
50-55': Outro, we talk about anything that may be interesting according to the episode we are doing.
55-60': ED of choice.
Just noticed this as well. The general layout is pretty solid in my opinion, but a few things kind of bother me. One, whilst most (umm, "professional") podcasts run around an hour or more, my experiences with them proved that a new group will generally start to crumble and fall apart if they start out with lengthy episodes. I'm thinking that instead of shortening each segment all throughout, you could swap a few of the locked down segments (ones that appeal to only one series) and add in a few shorter ones that focus more on the specialties of whomever you've got in your group. What happens when you're discussing a series that not everyone has seen? You'll be getting a certain amount of radio noise or silence from someone at the very least.

Second, allow the hosts to talk about their specialties. Maybe you've got someone who's bad with anime but is really good with manga(Coincidentally, make sure you don't find people who have limited knowledge all around)? Give them a short period to talk about something general in that area and allow for discussion. Even with 5 hosts you'd only need about...20-25 minutes to get through everyone? This would also allow a good chunk of the 60 minutes to be filled with content that is well-known.

Third, I'm not seeing a spot for upcoming series. Was this considered? If not, I would definitely recommend adding that in. And also, it's been mentioned but I'm not too hot on Sankaku Complex either. Usually I hear people recommending it to me because "BOING, breasts!".

Finally, I'd think about replacing the "Who We Are" and "What We Are" parts to something that can be more generally used after the first episode. Needless to say you won't be giving personal biographies every episode, so maybe replace it with updates on stuff they've been running, like forum projects, general projects or maybe even a blog/vlog, perhaps?

So yeah, good standard format, definitely could use a little bit of tweaking. My points were just random ideas so definitely don't feel as if you have to use any of it. Either way, I might just be able to help out in a way or something, but that depends.

Last edited by Hiroi Sekai; 2012-05-03 at 01:06.
Hiroi Sekai is offline   Reply With Quote