AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-10-24, 11:54   Link #1
jimmy_1

DVD Authoring (DVDlab)

Wonder what`s the best DVD authoring program..? I used DVDlab but it seems that the menu gets cut of and the episodes I burn out to dvd cant jump forwards. (burnt on dvd-rw, maybe that`s the prob..? I added to movie files on 50mb each and in the Movie_TS map it only tocked 20MB
jimmy_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 13:24   Link #2
anime_layer
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via ICQ to anime_layer
DVDLab is a good authoring application for starters. You might also want to try the beta of the Pro version which is free as long as it is in beta phase.
Your menu gets cut off? Did you consider the overscan of your TV? Analog TVs cut off parts of the picture. How much depends on the TV you have. In DVDLab you should see some lines when creating menus. Text should not pass the inner rectangle or it might get cut off. You may need to experiment with your TV to see how moch overscan it has.
The Jumping has to do with how you add the movies to your DVD. Are they all in ony title and you set chapters or are they individual titles?

I found Adobe Encore DVD to be a good authoring application. It's very robust and easy to use. If you don't want fancy menus and special playlists, I'd give it a try.
Old 2004-10-24, 14:18   Link #3
NinjaServ

Best one I've used was TMPGEnc DVD Authoring software, VERY flexable, The best AND easiest that I have used (allows chapers aswell, as you were having problems with). It also has a "TV Safe" line when designing menus.
http://www.tmpgenc.com/
It is also a LOT more affordable than any of the other GOOD ones I've seen.
NinjaServ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 14:19   Link #4
jimmy_1

I want it to look cool and professional. I added the MPG file, and it splittet in 2. 1 sound and 1 movie. I dragged the 2 files in "Movie 1". In the menu I only wrote inside the lines and even that it cutted the menu a little. The weirdest thing is that the movie I added is like 80MB and the output file (when I compilled DVD) is like 40MB. Something must been wrong.
Old 2004-10-24, 14:21   Link #5
NinjaServ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_1
I want it to look cool and professional. I added the MPG file, and it splittet in 2. 1 sound and 1 movie. I dragged the 2 files in "Movie 1". In the menu I only wrote inside the lines and even that it cutted the menu a little. The weirdest thing is that the movie I added is like 80MB and the output file (when I compilled DVD) is like 40MB. Something must been wrong.
That is normal all split them like that. The software I mention, if you use it right, CAN look like it was professionally done, it also supports video menus.
Old 2004-10-24, 16:25   Link #6
anime_layer
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via ICQ to anime_layer
You might have a TV with a lot of overscan. If you can post your menu here we could check or you could try it on another TV.
If you added the movie as a single title ("Movie 1") and set no chapters? With back and forward on your remote you jump from chapter to chapter to title and if you have only one title and no chapters, there's nowhere to jump to.
And 80MB seems awefully small for a DVD. Is it a DVD-compilant MPEG2 movie?

@NinjaServ
TMPGEnc DVD Author is a good consumer application if you just want to get your DVD and don't want to fiddle with anything. It is, however, very limited in what you can do, compared to a professional grade product.
If a DVD looks professional has little to do with the application you use. The application decides more how technically advanced your DVD can be. The professional look you have to give it yourself.
Old 2004-10-24, 17:00   Link #7
jimmy_1

It is actually an AMV that I burnt out on a dvd-rw to try if everything worked out fine. Added Movie 1, but I couldn`t forward it.. don`t know what it`s called in english.
Old 2004-10-24, 17:16   Link #8
NinjaServ

Quote:
Originally Posted by anime_layer
You might have a TV with a lot of overscan. If you can post your menu here we could check or you could try it on another TV.
If you added the movie as a single title ("Movie 1") and set no chapters? With back and forward on your remote you jump from chapter to chapter to title and if you have only one title and no chapters, there's nowhere to jump to.
And 80MB seems awefully small for a DVD. Is it a DVD-compilant MPEG2 movie?

@NinjaServ
TMPGEnc DVD Author is a good consumer application if you just want to get your DVD and don't want to fiddle with anything. It is, however, very limited in what you can do, compared to a professional grade product.
If a DVD looks professional has little to do with the application you use. The application decides more how technically advanced your DVD can be. The professional look you have to give it yourself.
if you want to get TOO techincal about professional grade, get the DVD source codes and write it out all manually and compile your DVD that way ;p!!! I just stated software that is easy and affordable, I know it is limited, you can't do subtitles, and several otehr things, but for PRACTICLE and regular use as this user would need, it would be a good choice of something to use.
Old 2004-10-26, 07:26   Link #9
jimmy_1

Downloaded TMPGEnc DVD author 1.6. The program is "easy" to use, but it isn`t any place where I choose different options to for-example background music, connect episodes, like episode 1 is finnish then episode 2 starts automatic. And buttons, ect. Anyone who has used this program who can help me a little to make my dvd more professional..?

And when I played the Video_TS mape on Power DVD I could jump forth, like I wanna see 10min. out on the episode, but when I burnt it out on a dvd-rw (to test) I couldn`t jump forth and back like that.. anyone who knows why..?
Old 2004-10-26, 11:02   Link #10
NinjaServ

If you want a still picture with music, you'll have to open up your MPEG encoder and choose that picture as your video, and the audio as the audio, and load the resulting MPG as the "background picture". To allow motion menus (mpg files as BG) you can find this option under the button "Menu Display Settings"

To "attach" video, you don't need to do that, they will play in order together without returning to the menu if you have them in seperate chapers (which makes things easier). Under the "Source Setup" tab just click "add chaper" and you can add the next video, etc.

To "Jump forward" you need to set chapers. Under the "Source Setup" tab click on the "Track" AND video that you wanna set the chapters for. Click on "edit clip" and it'll bring up a little window with info on the video, there should be another tab up there named "Chaper cut edit", this allows you to set "chapers" so you can skip forward in your video when on your DVD player.
Old 2004-10-27, 09:28   Link #11
jimmy_1

hm... is it possible to add a picture to each episode on menu..? White as episode background isn`t really good.

Did you mean that I`ve to convert a picture and sound (in TMPGEnc converter) to make menu background with sound...? MPG file..?
Old 2004-10-27, 09:51   Link #12
NinjaServ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_1
hm... is it possible to add a picture to each episode on menu..? White as episode background isn`t really good.

Did you mean that I`ve to convert a picture and sound (in TMPGEnc converter) to make menu background with sound...? MPG file..?
Yea, if you want music convert the picture with the TMPGEnc. You can set any picture you want for any of the menus (including individual episode menus). The button at the bottom lets you handle that and font style for each individual menu.