AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-07-12, 05:59   Link #141
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Please don't take my comment out of context. PPZ being (or not being) a parody is a matter of reality. Liking or disliking it is an opinion and if you happen to like it, that is just as valid as my disliking it. There is no way to discuss whether it is allowable to like or dislike a show since nobody can be denied their own feelings.

If Devilen wants to discuss the potential of PPZ as parody though, I'd like to hear why he believes that it is a parody.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-12, 06:29   Link #142
Sailor Enlil
GWAAAA!

Well, thank you very much for making that clear. My concern was the impression I was getting that the haters were making it a matter of reality that PPGZ was crap (i.e. the messages I was getting were along the lines of "PPGZ is such crap that the producers must be shot", "Anyone liking this must have their heads examined", etc). If you looked at my post carefully I was referring to this statement, which got my attention in the first place:
Quote:
You are just digging for reasons to like it because you know its crap.
Sailor Enlil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-12, 08:07   Link #143
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well, if it didn't use the name Powerpuffs and tried to sell on its own, I'd say it was a Powerpuff parody, but it's still mediocre IMO. Using Powerpuff in its title begs to be compared, as is any Anime X's nature to provoke comparison between the original anime. Having said that, I can speculate that the me who hadn't watched PPG prior to PPGZ would find it an average show, nothing spectacular, nothing downright atrocious. I find it hard to believe that there are stuff you can LOVE in this show, but I'll take your word for it for now. BUT, since this IS Powerpuff Girls Z and I have seen PPG, yeah, this spin-off fails at least on the character level.

For those who want a mahou shoujo parody, I suggest Dai Mahou Touge, it's essentially a Nanoha parody.
Old 2006-07-12, 09:26   Link #144
MetaFire
Wuthuh?

Maybe it's because I'm not really expecting much from the show as some as you, but I do find it pretty enjoyable after watching the second episode. I thought the comedic exchanges between Blossom and Mojo were done pretty well, which I think would probably be the show's high point thus far. As far as action goes, I'm not expecting much at this juncture as there's the whole "learning their powers" thing going on. If the show gets to the point where the girls kicked as much ass as they did in the original, then that would be awesome, but I don't expect this show to ever get to that point for a long time, judging by the animation done thus far.

My conclusions are that if you're watching this show for action, then I don't think you'll find it. Well, not for a while at least. If you're watching the show for any character depth, it would take in the form of Blossom. She seems to be the most dynamic character in the show as well as the focus judging by the op and ed. How far the anime studio plans to take that is up in the air. I don't expect much from Bubbles (man do I hate Bubbles) and Buttercup, but I expect an episode here or there devoted to their character developement while the rest of the show is focused on Blossom. The supporting cast doesn't seem like it'd be very interesting. I expect the Mayor to do the whole useless Mayor thing. Ken, the Professor, and peach, would be there as the explainers/spectators/people to help when the girls are in trouble. Mojo or whatever bad guy would pop out next and they would just deal with it in whatever creative way the scriptwriters decide. And yea, that's pretty much what I think the jist of the whole would be.

So I pretty much think that the difference of the whole show from other Mahou Shojous depends on how dynamic they can make Blossom as a character and possibly the other girls. Of course I could be wrong, but I plan to watch the show as long as funsubbers keep cranking it out to wait and see.

As far as a comparison to the original, I think this one is more story oriented and vastly different from the action oriented orignal to the point where they're completely different shows.

Last edited by MetaFire; 2006-07-12 at 09:39.
MetaFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-12, 12:36   Link #145
Silphy

Quote:
I am noticing a trend:
Hated original = likes new (the minority of people watching this show, why would you watch a alternate universe sequal when you hated the original)
Likes original = hates new (the majority of people watching this show, noticing the lack of all the elements that made the original)
I think your very wrong, but then again, I like this series and all your doing is bashing it, so I'm obviously going to disagree with you...

first of all.... for the people that hated the original, and like the siries, you seem to be questioning why thier watching it in the first place? thats stupid..maybe because this series has better character designs? maybe they perfer anime? maybe they like the art and animation more? it doesnt matter, at least they arent filled with prejiduce against the new series, good for them.

Also, I loved watching episodes of the powerpuff girls, and I'm also loving watching episodes of this series, I find the new series to be very charming in its own way, I love the new art style I LOVE the backgrounds,I adore the tranformation sequences...the girls are dancing instead of just spinning around naked like most magical girl transformations..., and I cant wait to see all the villans in action in the new series (Especially the rowdyrough boys) I love how they changed the characters instead of keeping them all the same, that would have been really boring IMO ( except the mayor and bellum....poor mayor got screwed...and they kept miss bellum the exact same?)

As far as this series being a parody...I dont really know, it seems more like an alternate universe to me, but that doesnt really matter, weather or not its a parody, alternate universe or show in its own right, its still a really fun series.
Silphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-12, 12:58   Link #146
LiLMewmew

err... episode 2 has been subbed by TV-Nihon, and you can get it from anime-source.com

LiLMewmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-12, 13:05   Link #147
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
I am a fan of the original series myself. As for this new series, I'm not sure yet. However with the second episode it is definitely improving over all. Either way the best thing to do is accept as an alternate universe and not expect a clone of the original. Still I do wish the original was still airing new episodes sometimes, but ah well.
Old 2006-07-12, 14:00   Link #148
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Enlil
.If you looked at my post carefully I was referring to this statement, which got my attention in the first place:
The line that got your attention is nothing special at all. It is common for fans to invent reasons to keep watching shows that they realize are crap. This is in order to justify their watching them so that they do not feel like they are wasting their time. Good examples of this are Gundam Seed Destiny and Musashi Gundo. "OMG, this show sucks... but there is fighting... so ill keep watching".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silphy
first of all.... for the people that hated the original, and like the siries, you seem to be questioning why thier watching it in the first place? thats stupid..
No, its perfectly logical. There is no reason why you would check out a season 2 of a show if you hated season 1.

Quote:
maybe they perfer anime?
Cartoons are animated too.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-12, 15:49   Link #149
Sailor Enlil
GWAAAA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
The line that got your attention is nothing special at all. It is common for fans to invent reasons to keep watching shows that they realize are crap. This is in order to justify their watching them so that they do not feel like they are wasting their time. Good examples of this are Gundam Seed Destiny and Musashi Gundo. "OMG, this show sucks... but there is fighting... so ill keep watching".
That is the most ridiculous logic I've ever heard. Why waste time indulging something you don't like (unless say someone is forcing you to do so at gunpoint?)? I definitely don't go into that. I watch PPGZ because I like it. Period. No excuses/reasons needed. You like it or you don't. Capiche?

Quote:
No, its perfectly logical. There is no reason why you would check out a season 2 of a show if you hated season 1.
Again dumb logic. I've seen a few cases of a TV series with better 2nd season that a first season. It all boils down to the makers' creativity, or other possible factors (like storyline). One example that I find applicable at least to myself is Ah My Goddess (I skimped out on the first season, but avidly watching the 2nd season, though admittedly my preferences here are influenced by the manga; eg Peorth is one of my favorite characters, but she only came out in the 2nd season).

Quote:
Cartoons are animated too.
Unfortunately that can be a case of apples vs oranges. As far as I'm concerned, western cartons =/= anime in terms of content and design. I've outgrown western cartoons (in fact most of them make me sick these days, especially shows like Spongebob Squarepants and The Simpsons - ugh! Better yet, I've yet to see a western cartoon that compares to a Harem anime like Love Hina), but still love anime. Just like saying Star Wars and The Sound of Music are the same kind of movies, and just like the ignorant populace who lump many different things together. (eg don't tell me you confuse bishoujo and bishounen? Most bishounen anime are not appealing to me, while I'm very into bishoujo)

Last edited by Sailor Enlil; 2006-07-12 at 16:23.
Old 2006-07-12, 17:55   Link #150
Access

Like and dislike are subjective things that can 'change' in a person based on the circumstances or mood. People don't always have to outwardly 'like' things to end up doing them, and vice versa. Certainly this is entertainment, and not duty / job / required stuff. Yet it's perfectly possible to have a 'love-hate' relationship with a certain anime, a horrible anime but with a character you like, or one that reminds you of your childhood or a happy time in your own life, a best friend you once had who has since passed away, a certain setting, etc. Hence it's one you end up watching reguarly even if you don't consciously or logically consider it a 'good' anime. Consciously you may hate it, but subconsciously you want to watch it so you invent reasons to watch it or to make it 'worth watching'. In the end, you may feel stupid in that "Here we go again... I can't believe I'm actually watching this..." but this is nothing to be ashamed of, it is perfectly normal and healthy human behavior.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-12, 18:40   Link #151
N-Bomb
King of Braves
*Fansubber

Quote:
That is the most ridiculous logic I've ever heard. Why waste time indulging something you don't like (unless say someone is forcing you to do so at gunpoint?)? I definitely don't go into that. I watch PPGZ because I like it. Period. No excuses/reasons needed. You like it or you don't. Capiche?
I don't agree with bei here. Who knows why people like some things, and yes, it's possible to like complete shit. Tokyo Drift is one of the most entertaining horrible movies ever.

Quote:
Again dumb logic. I've seen a few cases of a TV series with better 2nd season that a first season. It all boils down to the makers' creativity, or other possible factors (like storyline). One example that I find applicable at least to myself is Ah My Goddess (I skimped out on the first season, but avidly watching the 2nd season, though admittedly my preferences here are influenced by the manga; eg Peorth is one of my favorite characters, but she only came out in the 2nd season).
Not dumb at all. It's perfectly sane to assume that a 2nd season of a horrid anime is going to be more of the same garbage. The ONLY way I grant you this is if you've never SEEN the preceeding series, or if it's a completist thing. I hated Zeta Gundam. I kept watching it because I felt I needed to see it all. I hated Gundam SEED, yet I watched SEEDD, and while I did find it getting into non-tripe territory briefly, it soon came crashing down, and I finished watching it because of completeness.

If it was a show from a franchise I had no vested interest in, or a show I'd never heard of, you can rest assured that I'd not watch season two, let alone the rest of season one.

Quote:
Unfortunately that can be a case of apples vs oranges. As far as I'm concerned, western cartons =/= anime in terms of content and design. I've outgrown western cartoons (in fact most of them make me sick these days, especially shows like Spongebob Squarepants and The Simpsons - ugh! Better yet, I've yet to see a western cartoon that compares to a Harem anime like Love Hina), but still love anime. Just like saying Star Wars and The Sound of Music are the same kind of movies, and just like the ignorant populace who lump many different things together. (eg don't tell me you confuse bishoujo and bishounen? Most bishounen anime are not appealing to me, while I'm very into bishoujo)
You're certainly entitled to your opinions, but the recent crop of anime just proves that when it comes down to it, and as a group, it's no better than American cartoons. Same bullshit on either side of the ocean.

Finally, god help us if they start making harem anime in the west. Men are already pussified enough here without more reason for them to be afraid to talk to women. The less that harem cartoons are accepted here, the better.
N-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-12, 19:42   Link #152
LiLMewmew

QUESTION TO YOU ALL:

Wasn't Sonic americanized into Sonic X ?

So, now, PPG americanized into PPGZ is NO BIG DEAL!
LiLMewmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-12, 20:33   Link #153
Sailor Enlil
GWAAAA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-Bomb
Not dumb at all. It's perfectly sane to assume that a 2nd season of a horrid anime is going to be more of the same garbage.
Assuming it is one thing. Declaring it factual is another, because that logic falls short on series like these:
To Heart/To Heart Remember My Memories -> To Heart 2
Bubblegum Crisis Megatokyo 2032/Bubblegum Crash/AD Police OAV -> Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040/AD Police TV
Magic Knight Rayearth -> Rayearth OAV
Transformers G1/The Headmasters -> Transformers: Beast Wars -> Transformers: Robots In Disguise -> Transformers: Armada/Energeon -> Transformers: Victory

Quote:
The ONLY way I grant you this is if you've never SEEN the preceeding series, or if it's a completist thing. I hated Zeta Gundam. I kept watching it because I felt I needed to see it all. I hated Gundam SEED, yet I watched SEEDD, and while I did find it getting into non-tripe territory briefly, it soon came crashing down, and I finished watching it because of completeness.
Strange thing for you to do. Like I mentioned earlier, I skimped out on AMG season 1 because I thought it was meh after just the first few episodes, and instead went straight to season 2 as soon as I heard Peorth was going to show up by then.

Quote:
If it was a show from a franchise I had no vested interest in, or a show I'd never heard of, you can rest assured that I'd not watch season two, let alone the rest of season one.
Your call. I just go for what I like.

Quote:
You're certainly entitled to your opinions, but the recent crop of anime just proves that when it comes down to it, and as a group, it's no better than American cartoons. Same bullshit on either side of the ocean.
Chances are you're judging the entire market from the product group known as Mainstream. And the thing about mainstream is that it's marketed for maximum distribution and profit, as well as being targetted towards kids (then there's the requirements of TV/Broadcasting regulations), often resulting in so-so quality (this is an unfortunate phenomenon with anime exported to the west). There's this thing called the Niche Market, which caters to a smaller customer base (good examples of these are the OAV's) but still finds consumers who willingly patronize the product because it stands out in certain ways.

Quote:
Finally, god help us if they start making harem anime in the west. Men are already pussified enough here without more reason for them to be afraid to talk to women. The less that harem cartoons are accepted here, the better.
Given the cultural differences between the US and Japan, a "proper" Harem cartoon (one that conforms to the established design of a Harem anime) just ain't gonna happen. Odds are, if American culture will maintain influence on cartoons, the closest a cartoon will get to a Harem anime would probably be a "Womanizer Cartoon" (though it may end up bearing resemblance to a number of Hentai titles, so I wouldn't count on such ever emerging).
Old 2006-07-12, 21:19   Link #154
bayoab

Quote:
You obviously have never heard of "rationalization" or (cannot find the psychological term for the equivalent of battered woman syndrome). As N-bomb said, completion is one reason people do it. "I started this series, I'm going to finish it". Another is "this series sucks, but my favorite Seiyuu is in it, so it's gotta be good" or "ive liked every other show by this director before". This was the same with me and R.o.D the TV. It sucked horribly, but I kept watching the next episode hoping they would have a fight scene. "I liked the original, so this has to pick up and be decent."

"PPGZ is a parody... yea... its a good parody" "My boyfriend doesnt mean to hurt me... so its okay... its still good". Look similar at all?

Quote:
Again dumb logic. I've seen a few cases of a TV series with better 2nd season that a first season. It all boils down to the makers' creativity, or other possible factors (like storyline).
That is completely different. You basically said "I am only watching the show because of a character." You would not have watched the second season if it was not for that character because you dismised the first season. This is the only reason someone would watch a second season is because they are familiar with the series to begin with. If you are not familiar with a series, you are not going to give it a chance past the first season.

I can see someone who was not familiar with PPG starting this show but the only reason someone would start this show hating the first show is because they believe its going to be really different from the original.
Quote:
Transformers G1/The Headmasters -> Transformers: Beast Wars -> Transformers: Robots In Disguise -> Transformers: Armada/Energeon -> Transformers: Victory
These are not second seasons. These are all sequels. (And TH2 is a different show entirely because it is based on a different game.) I supposed that PPGZ is technically a sequal but it was billed as alternate universe season 2.

Quote:
Unfortunately that can be a case of apples vs oranges. As far as I'm concerned, western cartons =/= anime in terms of content and design. I've outgrown western cartoons (in fact most of them make me sick these days, especially shows like Spongebob Squarepants and The Simpsons - ugh!
Sturgeons rule applies everywhere: 99% of everything is crap. And I do not see how you can "outgrow" a show that has no age target (Simpsons). Your tastes may change but you have not outgrown it. However, anime and cartoons are not entirely separate entities. You would be amazed at how many shows actually cross over to either country.
Quote:
Better yet, I've yet to see a western cartoon that compares to a Harem anime like Love Hina), but still love anime. <Removed easy fodder because Bishoujo and bishounen are not genres.>
(I believe this and the previous quote speak for themselves).

As for comments on the show, episode 2 was a slight improvement, but after falling asleep twice and almost killing myself from the cheese factor, the only decent part of this show is that they have blossom down right from the original. They started to also change Mojo jojo to be slightly more like the original if you didnt notice but failed in doing so. Bubbles makes me want to kill toei. And for those who claim the art is better, they TRIED to impersonate the art from the original show when they showed the lab and completely failed. It's gone from -5 to -3 on a scale of 1 to 10.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-12, 21:41   Link #155
MetaFire
Wuthuh?

In regards to PPGZ being a parody, how is it? I thought this show was planned to be a serious American Cartoon to anime conversion and not a mockery of the original? Unless people are considering its mediocre-ness to be on purpose, which I don't think it is.
MetaFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-12, 21:45   Link #156
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

I just watched episode 2...

Still lame, but getting more tolerable (if not for the insipid reason for the transformations, but I'm sure it's all for marketing anyway.). But why, why did they have to make Bubbles match her name????
Oh, and Mojo: your middle name is buffoon!!!
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-12, 22:04   Link #157
Sailor Enlil
GWAAAA!

Quote:
You obviously have never heard of "rationalization" or (cannot find the psychological term for the equivalent of battered woman syndrome). As N-bomb said, completion is one reason people do it. "I started this series, I'm going to finish it". Another is "this series sucks, but my favorite Seiyuu is in it, so it's gotta be good" or "ive liked every other show by this director before". This was the same with me and R.o.D the TV. It sucked horribly, but I kept watching the next episode hoping they would have a fight scene. "I liked the original, so this has to pick up and be decent."

"PPGZ is a parody... yea... its a good parody" "My boyfriend doesnt mean to hurt me... so its okay... its still good". Look similar at all?
Attempts at "rationalization" have never brought any satisfactory answers. Hence I don't do that. As for the "battered woman syndrome", I can't fathom someone forced into watching a hated show (unless, as I said sarcastically, under gunpoint), particularly from some internal influence, unless it's say addiction, or (like my idiot brother in some instances), there's a trivia contest with very tempting grand prize. Never happened to me (and I don't take part in trivias). If I don't like a series where it's going, I drop it like yesterday's newspaper.

Quote:
That is completely different. You basically said "I am only watching the show because of a character." You would not have watched the second season if it was not for that character because you dismised the first season. This is the only reason someone would watch a second season is because they are familiar with the series to begin with. If you are not familiar with a series, you are not going to give it a chance past the first season.
The thing is you're equating "familiarity with a series" to "having watched the entire first season avidly". Hey, there are ways to become familiar with a TV series or other title without watching the actual product. I've done that in many cases. Like websites and fanfiction for instance, which if it perks my interest makes me to research (hence I got to know series like Buffy the Vamprie Slayer almost without watching a single episode of it, because it never aired in my locality, but there were quite a lot of resources on the internet).

Quote:
I can see someone who was not familiar with PPG starting this show but the only reason someone would start this show hating the first show is because they believe its going to be really different from the original.
Well that's pretty much how I took it, just like I did with the PPG Doujin released a few months back.

Quote:
Sturgeons rule applies everywhere: 99% of everything is crap. And I do not see how you can "outgrow" a show that has no age target (Simpsons). Your tastes may change but you have not outgrown it. However, anime and cartoons are not entirely separate entities. You would be amazed at how many shows actually cross over to either country.
I never said I outgrew Simpsons. I said I outgrew the Cartoon Industry as a whole. Things is after seeng what's out now, it's no improvement over what I watched as a kid, or even worse, like everything's being recycled. But with Anime, somehow I always find something fresh in each new release. Heck if some outfit in Japan decided to take say She-Ra Princess of Power and create an magical girl anime series out of it (say titled し-ら: 力の姫 ["shi-ra: chikara no hime"], just a concept) I'm gonna take a very good look at it like it was a new piece of work, not as a "sequel' of the original She-Ra cartoons.

Quote:
As for comments on the show, episode 2 was a slight improvement, but after falling asleep twice and almost killing myself from the cheese factor, the only decent part of this show is that they have blossom down right from the original. They started to also change Mojo jojo to be slightly more like the original if you didnt notice but failed in doing so. Bubbles makes me want to kill toei. And for those who claim the art is better, they TRIED to impersonate the art from the original show when they showed the lab and completely failed. It's gone from -5 to -3 on a scale of 1 to 10.
Well that's how you rate it, so suit yourself. I'd rate it differently since I have different standards than you. (Btw I never fell asleep watching either this or the first ep of PPGZ, instead I got glued to my screen, sometimes laughing my a** off or watching with awe at the right moments, such as that .gif I posted earlier)
Old 2006-07-12, 22:23   Link #158
N-Bomb
King of Braves
*Fansubber

Quote:
Attempts at "rationalization" have never brought any satisfactory answers. Hence I don't do that. As for the "battered woman syndrome", I can't fathom someone forced into watching a hated show (unless, as I said sarcastically, under gunpoint), particularly from some internal influence, unless it's say addiction, or (like my idiot brother in some instances), there's a trivia contest with very tempting grand prize. Never happened to me (and I don't take part in trivias). If I don't like a series where it's going, I drop it like yesterday's newspaper.
And then pick it up again in season two? >.> Why drop it if you'll just pick it up again?

Quote:
The thing is you're equating "familiarity with a series" to "having watched the entire first season avidly". Hey, there are ways to become familiar with a TV series or other title without watching the actual product. I've done that in many cases. Like websites and fanfiction for instance, which if it perks my interest makes me to research (hence I got to know series like Buffy the Vamprie Slayer almost without watching a single episode of it, because it never aired in my locality, but there were quite a lot of resources on the internet).
...what.

Quote:
Well that's pretty much how I took it, just like I did with the PPG Doujin released a few months back.
You must be the biggest optimist in the world. I've found that the Japanese tend to completely destroy any western show that they adapt for Japan. You mentioned Transformers earlier (and no, it's not an example of the following seasons being better than the preceeding), and that's a shining example of kanchoing something good.

Quote:
I never said I outgrew Simpsons. I said I outgrew the Cartoon Industry as a whole. Things is after seeng what's out now, it's no improvement over what I watched as a kid, or even worse, like everything's being recycled. But with Anime, somehow I always find something fresh in each new release. Heck if some outfit in Japan decided to take say She-Ra Princess of Power and create an magical girl anime series out of it (say titled し-ら: 力の姫 ["shi-ra: chikara no hime"], just a concept) I'm gonna take a very good look at it like it was a new piece of work, not as a "sequel' of the original She-Ra cartoons.
You can't have outgrown the cartoon industry as a whole if you're watching anime. It's the same damned industry in a different country with the same aims (selling merch), except instead of huggable stuffed bears that care or magical barbarians, you have tentacle rape, polygamy, and giant robots.

Quote:
Well that's how you rate it, so suit yourself. I'd rate it differently since I have different standards than you. (Btw I never fell asleep watching either this or the first ep of PPGZ, instead I got glued to my screen, sometimes laughing my a** off or watching with awe at the right moments, such as that .gif I posted earlier)
One would question your taste.
N-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-13, 01:42   Link #159
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Assuming it is one thing. Declaring it factual is another, because that logic falls short on series like these:
You don't really mean that TH2 is better than the previous one Unless it's the other way around, but then, why make an example of it?
Old 2006-07-13, 03:17   Link #160
Sailor Enlil
GWAAAA!

Quote:
And then pick it up again in season two? >.> Why drop it if you'll just pick it up again?
...what.
Obviously you couldn't get my point after I spelled it all out.

Quote:
You must be the biggest optimist in the world. I've found that the Japanese tend to completely destroy any western show that they adapt for Japan. You mentioned Transformers earlier (and no, it's not an example of the following seasons being better than the preceeding), and that's a shining example of kanchoing something good.
My officemate would disagree on your opinion with Transformers, considering his reaction to Transformers: Robots in Disguise when I lent him my copy (he liked Optimus Prime's "Battle Mode" and the Gundam-like appearance of all the robots themselves).

Quote:
You can't have outgrown the cartoon industry as a whole if you're watching anime. It's the same damned industry in a different country with the same aims (selling merch), except instead of huggable stuffed bears that care or magical barbarians, you have tentacle rape, polygamy, and giant robots.
I see a bit of contradiction there. From what you point out based on the merchandice, the Cartoon Industry is aimed at kids (eg below 12), whereas the Anime Industry targets a much wider age group (or are you forgetting what Hentai is for?). This attitude is eerily like those stupid politicians lobbying against M and AO rated videogames like Grand Theft Auto because they still believe video games are for kids only.

Quote:
One would question your taste.
That's not the first time I got that remark. My cousin questions the taste of anyone above the age of 15 who watches anime other than Hentai or those without fanservice/ecchi content (though she considers anything with fanservice/ecchi content as Hentai as well).

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal
You don't really mean that TH2 is better than the previous one Unless it's the other way around, but then, why make an example of it?
I didn't say that. I was referring to this:
Quote:
It's perfectly sane to assume that a 2nd season of a horrid anime is going to be more of the same garbage.
From my interpretation, that statement meant any next season/sequel/product follow of any series should contain the exact same content, design, and quality as the the former. But clearly, TH2 is not exactly the same as the first TH or TH:RMM with regards to content/storyline/etc (eg TH2 is not a continuation of TH like TH:RMM is). Now, whether TH2 is better or worse than TH is up to the viewer's opinion. My opinion? I like TH2 best, followed by TH:RMM, then the first TM. Others' opinions will vary of course.

Last edited by Sailor Enlil; 2006-07-13 at 03:35.