Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-02-22, 14:26   Link #961
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphire View Post
I hated Toradora! Why? Because I hated the 2 main characters. A lot. Support characters on the other hand were quite good. But they don't matter in the end. The last couple of episodes were probably the most painful thing I've watched in anime. Tacked on drama to accommodate my hated characters.

But many like it. Why? Have no idea. Probably the stereotypical main female lead (which I hate).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
I didn't find much to enjoy in Toradora either. Characters all felt rather superficial and cartoony, and the melodrama was quite overdone.
Whereas many fans of Toradora would say the show's characterization was not superficial and granted the characters a lot more depth than their archetypes would suggest. Not only is Toradora a very polarizing show, but in my experience the two camps can't even agree on whether particular elements are strengths or weaknesses.

And to Sphire specifically: yes, Taiga is a major part of why I like Toradora. I'm also not a big fan of the tsundere archetype or Rie Kugamiya. Make of that what you will.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2010-02-22, 16:09   Link #962
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Whereas many fans of Toradora would say the show's characterization was not superficial and granted the characters a lot more depth than their archetypes would suggest. Not only is Toradora a very polarizing show, but in my experience the two camps can't even agree on whether particular elements are strengths or weaknesses.

And to Sphire specifically: yes, Taiga is a major part of why I like Toradora. I'm also not a big fan of the tsundere archetype or Rie Kugamiya. Make of that what you will.
I suspect (but don't know) that Toradora is one of those animes you have to watch all of it to get the positives out of it.

The first few episodes felt like pretty, well, standard school-based anime romance to me.

Well, there was one slight difference I picked up on that might appeal to some people...

Spoiler for Minor Toradora spoiler pertaining to Ryūji Takasu:

Aside from that slight difference, though, I didn't really see anything in the first few episodes of Toradora! that felt different to me.

But... perhaps the more distinctive elements don't show up until after where I stopped watching.
Old 2010-02-22, 18:30   Link #963
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZxK View Post
okay someones gonna kill me if i say this... K-ON...

but actually i dont hate it i just dont want to watch i dont feel like watching it since i think i dont like the plot and i still got a lot to watch
Plot? What Plot? There is plot in K-on? No Way!!.
Old 2010-02-22, 19:39   Link #964
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple R
I suspect (but don't know) that Toradora is one of those animes you have to watch all of it to get the positives out of it.
Well, I followed Toradora to the end back when it was airing, so I don't think my opinion is due to this particular handicap. I would agree that there is a fair bit of difference between the open and close of the series. Personally, though, I didn't find either half all that noteworthy.

-my 2 cents.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2010-02-22, 20:18   Link #965
janipani

I also stopped watching Toradora.. or better say it's on hold, I'll watch it later. I'm sure it is good though, but doesn't feel that special to me. I might like it more, if it was my first anime.

-Best anime was made in 80s-
Old 2010-02-22, 21:04   Link #966
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

The first few episodes felt like pretty, well, standard school-based anime romance to me.

Well, there was one slight difference I picked up on that might appeal to some people...

Aside from that slight difference, though, I didn't really see anything in the first few episodes of Toradora! that felt different to me.

But... perhaps the more distinctive elements don't show up until after where I stopped watching.
Toradora's strength is mainly the competence of its writing, not the originality of its setting or characters. There's a certain level of subtlety and complexity to the character interactions in the show that put it above much of its competition. I don't think you need to watch the whole series to get that - you can see it in Taiga's confession to Kitamura in episode 2, for example - but it probably becomes apparent the further you watch. It is, after all, a more subtle appeal than in many other shows, whether they're part of the romance genre or not.

Old 2010-02-22, 22:39   Link #967
wingman32x

I'm not too fond of Code Geass, but everybody seems to love that series. I don't like it because I'm not too fond of the cast of characters and I just don't like the mech genre in general. Just my opinion.
Old 2010-02-23, 02:26   Link #968
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Well, that's what makes them fans, I guess. I don't know that I see this "polarizing" nature, as my own opinion is more like mild indifference. I certainly don't consider it to be an example of subtlety or complex writing by any stretch. On the other hand, you could do a lot worse in the genre.

On that first point, I'm reminded of what I'd call a truly polarizing show, Tokyo Magnitude, with its big plot twist halfway through the series - making some of the fanbase swear off the show as worthless while the rest defended it in its debate-filled thread. Don't think it's been mentioned here, but then again, it wasn't exactly popular enough to be something "everyone seems to like".

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2010-02-23, 02:37   Link #969
Sphire

Quote:
Toradora's strength is mainly the competence of its writing, not the originality of its setting or characters. There's a certain level of subtlety and complexity to the character interactions in the show that put it above much of its competition.
I'll give you that a strength of toradora! was the writing for some of the characters. And I was ranting in my first post. I really did enjoy Minori and Kawashima as characters a lot. Kitamura was probably neutral for me, but the 2 leads I really hated. Mostly that was down to Taiga. Her character was just too over the top. And it was intentionally done so to..i dunno..please the masochistic otakus out there? Which meant any drama pertaining to her (and consequently Ryuji), made me laugh more than anything.

Compare that to Minori.
Spoiler for Minori:
But in the end, she and Kawashima are side-characters in the drama that is Taiga (and subsequently Ryuji).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

In regards to your comments about Ryuji, in the end, those 'character' aspects don't really get expanded upon. It's like just there for the most part to give a backstory more than anything.

My main feeling towards the show is that, you have to like Taiga to like the show. If you find her irritating to begin with, your opinion will most likely not change throughout the show, and since most of the show revolves around her, well you get the point. If you do like her, you'll probably enjoy Toradora! a hell of a lot.
Old 2010-02-23, 03:29   Link #970
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
Well, that's what makes them fans, I guess. I don't know that I see this "polarizing" nature, as my own opinion is more like mild indifference. I certainly don't consider it to be an example of subtlety or complex writing by any stretch. On the other hand, you could do a lot worse in the genre.

On that first point, I'm reminded of what I'd call a truly polarizing show, Tokyo Magnitude, with its big plot twist halfway through the series - making some of the fanbase swear off the show as worthless while the rest defended it in its debate-filled thread. Don't think it's been mentioned here, but then again, it wasn't exactly popular enough to be something "everyone seems to like".
The subtlety and complexity is relative. Toradora is genre fiction, so most fans are going to be using other examples of the genre as a reference point. And If you missed the shitstorm that Toradora kicked up, consider yourself lucky. I only caught bits of it and I was hardly impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphire
I'll give you that a strength of toradora! was the writing for some of the characters. And I was ranting in my first post. I really did enjoy Minori and Kawashima as characters a lot. Kitamura was probably neutral for me, but the 2 leads I really hated. Mostly that was down to Taiga. Her character was just too over the top. And it was intentionally done so to..i dunno..please the masochistic otakus out there? Which meant any drama pertaining to her (and consequently Ryuji), made me laugh more than anything.
I found Taiga oddly likeable in a way that most tsunderes just aren't for me. I'm not sure I can really explain the appeal, it just is.

But yes, I certainly agree that whether you like Taiga is going to be a major factor in whether or not you enjoy the series.

Old 2010-02-23, 03:40   Link #971
Socke
Banned

Let me repeat my answer: School Days

It's true SD is not a masterpiece but I just hate to see how internet loves it. Nice Boat meme is never funny to begin with and even more annoying it won't die. It seems some people forced every anime fans to remember it as "epic" ending ever.

If I had Mars of Destruction and School Days DVDs and I only can smash one, I will smash School Days with no second thought even MoD is many times worse, technically. At least internet and 4chan don't love MoD, at least not as much as School Days.
Old 2010-02-23, 03:48   Link #972
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
I found Taiga oddly likeable in a way that most tsunderes just aren't for me. I'm not sure I can really explain the appeal, it just is.
I think it was because her Tsundere personality wasn't the only thing about her. She had other quirks aswell and other character development. She came to get along pretty well with Ami, she had those father issues and issues about her own appearance and a love for christmas etc.

Not to mention that her Tsundere qualities were also done well. How many tsundere's have you seen in an epic brawl like the one she had with Kano Sumire?

Yeah the characters are key here. I absolutely loved almost every single Toradora! character. They're all in my favourite character list.
Old 2010-02-27, 02:30   Link #973
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

Naruto
Bleach
(Yes I gave both of them a try and they both bored me after a few episodes)
Lucky Star
Kurogane no Linebarrels (manga was better, but the anime was )
Inuyasha
DBZ
Old 2010-03-03, 10:44   Link #974
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I don't hate The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. And I can understand why people would love it. But seriously these types just aren't for me. Comedies with no actual plot or anything are never gonna enter my favourites, even if they do make my sides hurt, because that's just not what I'm looking for. In any case, i didn't think it was that funny anyway. The first six episodes were boring really. I didn't know whether or not I was meant to laugh or take it seriously. The episodes after that were way better, but I've seen funnier. Is the second season any better?
Old 2010-03-03, 12:52   Link #975
Fishfood1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Is the second season any better?
not for the 8 episodes in the middle(maybe 5-6 if you only watch the begining then the end of that 8 episode arc(endless eight)) that drove 99% of the fandom on the brink of insanity.

roof>bed
Old 2010-03-03, 19:02   Link #976
Aka_Tsuki
NPC

Bleach. That anime keeps on going off main story and the side stories are lame...to me =/
Old 2010-03-31, 07:19   Link #977
cyth
Banned

Eden of the East. In the end, the directing completely ruined it for me, because I thought the concept was great. I don't know what Kamiyama Kenji and his episode directors tried to accomplish, but I think he should just stick to writing scripts and have other people execute his plans. He accomplished in making the concept/story the show's central point, but after watching the first movie, now that the core elements of the concept and most of the story is revealed, the watching bit of the experience just felt like a drag.
Old 2010-03-31, 10:50   Link #978
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
Beck - I simply don't get it.

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Old 2010-04-01, 16:03   Link #979
Seishi
Kholdy's Slave

Send a message via AIM to Seishi Send a message via MSN to Seishi Send a message via Yahoo to Seishi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noe View Post
Beck - I simply don't get it.
This is always my favourite reasoning for anything. It doesn't matter how "good" something is if it can't resonate through me.
Old 2010-04-03, 02:03   Link #980
Ancient Death
Lonely without Suigintou

I remember there was one anime show that I won't watch: Great Teacher Onizuka (GTO). I heard from many fans said the show was great or how funny it was. But when I watch the opening, I run away at the moment. Uneasy.

It would be about 5-6 years later before I tried again. True, it is truly "PG-13+" for good reasons but surprisingly, it was actually good at some points.
Closed Thread