AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valvrave the Liberator

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-05-19, 01:32   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Valvrave the Liberator - Mecha, Weapons, and Technology

As the title suggests, the purpose of this thread is to discuss Valvrave the Liberator Mecha, Weapons, and Technology

Please keep discussion about plot and storylines in the relevant Episode Discussion threads, not here. It's also a good idea that this thread discuss things that have shown up in the anime, manga or light novel - discussion of things that have only been announced should stay in the appropriate thread.

Note that because of the nature of this thread, there may be spoilers for non-anime Valvrave the Liberator works. Please keep such spoilers to a minimum, and use well-titled spoiler tags whenever possible.

[spoiler=title]Don't forget to use a title to let everyone know what you're spoiling![/spoiler]
Spoiler for title:

Be polite to your fellow forum members and try and keep the discussion on topic and above all, enjoy.
Old 2013-05-20, 00:55   Link #2
gordol
Banned

Let's discuss and speculate on the mecha of AOTY!

http://www.valvrave.com/mechanic/

+++++JIOR

-Valvrave units general specs:
*Also called Primate Weapons
*Produced in secrecy by the ''Agency'' part of JIOR
*First mech in the universe to have a humanoid appearance
*Uses a Primate Frame, hence the modularity
*Foot Spikes for stability and walking on 0G enviroment
*Custom sentient OS interface
*Anti-theft system
*Armor alloy is called VLC Polymer(white color when deactivated unit, black color when activated by a pilot)
*The green neon parts are called Senses Nerve, exact function unknown
*Runs on a RAVE engine
*Might be alien tech
*The energy emitted from wrists and ankles has an unique ability of becoming solid for a few moments, thus allowing for both attack and defense. Ability is called 硬質残光(Hard afterglow?) and also doubles as a powerful thruster
*The pilot becomes a ''Magius'' when he activates it, granting him the ''Jack'' ability
*Standard weaponry seems to be: Variable Vulcans on the head, Fold Sickles (2, stored on armpits) and Light Rays on wrists(unconfirmed if it's the transparent energy emitter or a vulcan like barrel on the back of the hand)

-Valvrave I(Hito): all purpose unit(melee, range, defense). Has an overheat mode (666) where it harnesses the energy of the RAVE Engine and uses it to achieve devastating energy attacks.
*Weapons: Z Edge both short and long(up to 4, stored on the hips); Fold Sickle (2, stored on armpits); Strike Brace(1, solid shield that can also attack); Volc Arm, large Handgun that fires energy stakes, runs on a magazine that holds cylindrical ammo(1, can be stored on rear waist); ヴルトガ(Vurutoga or Vultoga), Volc Arm customized with additional parts and rails allowing to mount every single Valvrave I weapon on it plus a large Scythe under the barrel (1, can be stored on rear waist, also doubles as spare weapons).

-Valvrave III (Hikaminari): yellow, power type, the arm is actually a device called the Armstronger Cannon but it is actually neither an arm nor a cannon but actually a superpower device. Model kit also mentions something called Chain Saucer, its handheld weapon perhaps.

-Valvrave IV (Hinowa): green, high speed. Equipped with the superpower device Spinder Knuckle on its shoulders, appear to function as a yo-yo. Has leg-like units on the back to enhance mobility.

-Valvrave V (Hiuchiba): blue, extra armor all over. Defense type superpower device called IMP, the extra armor has clear parts made out of something called Clear Fossil that is tougher than the regular armor. Has 2 crossbow like devices on the forearms that fire small energy shots.

-Valvrave VI (Hiasobi): indigo, mysterious. Its superpower device is the 森羅万象(All the Creation?) which uses a lot of Senses Nerves but what it does is unknown. Has a staff according to the OP.

***If the colors are based on the rainbow then II will be orange and VII purple.

+++++Dorrsia

-Waffe: Dolsia's main MP model equipped with large shield Eisen Geist, chest extending beam weapon Dqny Cannon. Comes in manned and unmanned form. Usually one manned and two unmanned Waffes form a single squad. Arms can equip beam, kinetic and melee weapon units. Known arm options are:

*Seen:
-Beam Gatling, official lineart for Manned Waffe
-Gatling gun, ep1
-Machine Claw, ep1
-Missile Pod, official lineart for Unmanned Waffe
-Dqny Cannon, ep 1, retractable beam cannon on chest
-Eisen Geist, ep1, shields
-Beam Buster, ep4, A-drei controlled ones

*Unseen
-Rocket Launcher
-Drill Lance
-Manipulator Arm

http://imageshack.us/f/42/vlcsnap2013050713h04m12.png/

-Unmanned Waffe: Remote controlled Waffes. Specs are lower than manned models but they're easier to produce and still effective.

-Ideal-class mechanized annhilator: One of Dorrsia's strategic-class weapons. Though large has overwhelming mobility in space, and enough power to overturn traditional concepts of weapons. Variations exist for commanders and ace pilots. Arms can be interchangeable, plus hardpoints on rear skirt and wings. The following armament options have been shown:

*Wired Claw thats doubles as a energy cannon for both rapid and charged shots: A-drei, X-Eins
*Cylindrical pod holding MANY missiles(can be manually controlled after firing): A-drei
*Cylindrical pod holding MANY missiles plus an energy cannon on the front, substitutes Wired Claws: Q-Vier
*Roman Candle Missile Container plus MANY Laser emitters, substitutes Wired Claws: H-Neun
*Curved pod holding MANY Laser emitters: H-Neun
*Long barrel energy cannon: X-Eins
*Unknown type of gun, substitutes Wired Claws: X-Eins
*Rear mounted Laser emitters: Q-Vier
*Lots of Unmanned Waffe units, stored on wings and rear hardpoints: A-drei.

-Walkit Class heavy space cruiser: Battleship. Lots of powerful Energy Cannons plus smaller AA guns. Has special catapults for Waffe Units and can hold up to 4 Ideals somewhere.

+++++ARUS

-Splicer Z Type: ARUS fighter for all terrain. Has a flexible beam gun that can fire from any position, stored in its main wings. Different types of multiwings can be attached to the main core block and the Z-type is a high speed model. Shown to have 4 Flexible Beam Guns so far.

-Splicer G Type: G-type has wider multiwings and is equipped with more kinetic weapons, functioning as a bomber. G and Z types can be found on JIOR and Z types engaged the Dorrsia when they invaded. Carries 6 missiles, has 2 rear mounted machine guns and 2 front mounted Flexible Beam Guns.

http://imageshack.us/a/img811/6813/v...1320h11m57.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img849/5480/v...1217h55m36.png

Large battleship: name unknown, shown to have at least a center mounted powerful energy cannon.

http://imageshack.us/a/img89/2749/vl...1217h25m06.png

Medium battleship: name unknown, carries lots of Splicer launched on custom catapults. Has 4 3-Barrel Energy Cannons on the sides, a center mounted powerful energy cannon and 4 9-Barrel Missile Launcher on the front.

http://imageshack.us/a/img402/5846/v...1217h41m01.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img16/3743/vl...1217h58m02.png

####Lastly can someone help me identify to which designer belongs each mech?

Kenji Teraoka>Ideal?
Kunio Okawara>Waffe?
Makoto Ishiwata (Polygon Bangcho)>Valvraves?
Naohiro Washio>Warship?
Takashi Miyamoto>Warship?
Takayuki Yanase>Splicer?

So what do guys thinks of the unseen Valvrave II and VII? Can a Ideal be a match for a Valvrave? Will ARUS use something more powerful than paper armored planes? Speculate away!

1: Hito (Man of Fire)
3: Hikaminari (Fire-Thunder)
4: Hinowa (Circle of Fire)
5: Hiuchiba (Wings of Fire)
6: Hiasobi (Playing with FIre)

Small update while we wait for VVV IV debut:

1-ALL Valvrave units have 2 Fold Sickles stored on their armpits(even VI). Fold Sickles are therefore standard fixed weaponry for VVV units.
2-Added pics for the 2 kinds of ARUS ships, the medium one also has Large Energy cannon on its center.
3-The Beam Gatling is actually SHOWN on the Manned Waffe lineart, I missed it along the Fold Sickles on all VVVs.
4-Added pics for the weaponry of the Splicer G. The Beam Guns are officially called Flexible Beam Guns. The lineart on the site is for JIOR ones, the pics show the ARUS colors

Detailed lineart reveals EVEN more weapons for VVV I!!! This thing is armed to the teeth! Also confirmation on many other things!

http://imageshack.us/a/img836/88/019uqq.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img835/1438/282kf.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img850/1383/283d.jpg

1)3 mecha designers and their creations confirmed: Makoto Ishiwata did all Valvraves, Kunio Okawara did the Waffes and Takayuki Yanase did the Splicers.
2)Lineart and confirmation for ALL the Waffe hand armament options.
3)Splicer Z Type confirmed to have rear mounted hidden Vulcans like the G Type. Subarm Vulcan on the smaller wings and Beam Rifle Aperture(if it's the kanji I know) on the large ones.
4)Valvrave I gets 2 new weapons:
-Bladed Baiken, large scythe stored folded on the Vurutoga, can be used by itself by detaching and unfolding it. Has some gimmick on the hilt/pommel whatever
-Meteor Plate, bladed boomerang stored folded on the Vurutoga, can be used by itself by detaching and unfolding it
-Therefore the Vurutoga is 3 weapons combined: Volc Arm+Bladed Baiken+Meteor Plate. Plus all the other extra weaponry attached to it
5)Some more details on VVV I
-The tip of the fingers can slide. Shining Finger?
-Strike Brace can hold 3 additional ammo cylinders for the Volc Arm.
-Confirmation on all the hardpoints
Old 2013-05-20, 03:20   Link #3
Key Board
Carbon

Going to start by reposting things..

Judging by this 6 color wheel theory..

There are probably 6 Valvraves in total.

All color except for orange have been visually confirmed in the show. Additionally, the number also seems to follow a certain order, with Red being unit 1 and going counter-clockwise until it reaches purple which is unit 6

I suppose might could go over 6, if they add White or Black. (this is highly hypothetical)
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell

Last edited by Key Board; 2013-05-21 at 06:49.
Old 2013-05-20, 03:28   Link #4
FiveOVER
Daydreamer

I actually think that the mecha design in the Dorssian army is rather practical. Since humanoid shaped mechas are not really a good idea in the first place considering that having thrusters already mitigates the need for the legs (it add weights too) and having an extra unneeded head (also adds weight). They do look good though, so I am not complaining. (Don’t get me wrong, I think humanoid mechas are cooler)

The Waffes on the other hand does not have any unneeded components. They have a good combination of the shields, main cannon (only fires straight) and the side arms that can shoot in many directions. (they made full use of the flexibility of the arms)

Ideal’s design is also very effecient considering they have weapons throughout their entire body. The missiles that can be controlled manually is also a very cool idea.

The system that enables pilots to control multiple unmanned waffes is also ingenious. It seems the weapon developers in the Valvrave universe is very competent.

At the end of the day though, I still love humanoid mechas best despite how illogical its design. :P
Old 2013-05-20, 03:37   Link #5
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
硬質残光
I'm sure this refers to the energy trails that Valvrave unit 1 leaves behind when it moves around.
As seen in the first episode it actually has physical properties and can damage the enemy.
It seems to have a variety of uses

It can be used as a shield to block solid projectiles
Spoiler:

It can be thrown at the enemy
Spoiler:

It can also be used to trap enemy movements
Spoiler:

Saki's unit 4 also has something like this but the energy trail is green instead of red
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell

Last edited by Key Board; 2013-05-20 at 03:50.
Old 2013-05-20, 04:02   Link #6
FiveOVER
Daydreamer

I wonder if unit 4 could also perform harakiri as it doesn't have a katana ready at hand.

Regardless, the Valvraves are really broken. Their durability is astounding : taking multiple hits by missiles and no visible dent of tear in the armor and it can just shrug off the bullets though it has yet to take a beam attack head on. The material have enough strength to sustain the force required to move the Module.

Their acceleration and speed is also top-notch being able to dodge multiple missiles, especially
green valvrave when all the thrusters (or legs) are all aligned. Granted it is the fastest among the six.

If not because of being easily overheated after movng around a lot, the Valvraves would already become nearly invincible. The enemy has to step up their game too if they're going to go against module 77 especially when they currently have 5 of them.

Btw, anyone feel that those spikes that held the Valvraves in the container are only for symbolism or to hold them? It might possibly be a tool of constraint, not that I think it can do much.
Old 2013-05-20, 04:26   Link #7
Key Board
Carbon

I'm actually not sure what causes harakiri mode
unit 1 overheated and forced a shutdown in episode 1

http://i.imgur.com/PhgU1Qt.jpg

Yet, in episode 2 the gauge went all the way to 666
Maybe you can only do harakiri in a zero G environments (space)?

//
Old 2013-05-20, 09:42   Link #8
shadow1296

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveOVER View Post
I wonder if unit 4 could also perform harakiri as it doesn't have a katana ready at hand.

Regardless, the Valvraves are really broken. Their durability is astounding : taking multiple hits by missiles and no visible dent of tear in the armor and it can just shrug off the bullets though it has yet to take a beam attack head on. The material have enough strength to sustain the force required to move the Module.

Their acceleration and speed is also top-notch being able to dodge multiple missiles, especially
green valvrave when all the thrusters (or legs) are all aligned. Granted it is the fastest among the six.

If not because of being easily overheated after movng around a lot, the Valvraves would already become nearly invincible. The enemy has to step up their game too if they're going to go against module 77 especially when they currently have 5 of them.

Btw, anyone feel that those spikes that held the Valvraves in the container are only for symbolism or to hold them? It might possibly be a tool of constraint, not that I think it can do much.
yes and its because they are broken that they have that hundred point limit mark between a hundred and point 666 in which they stop moving completely, so its possible that the valvraves were designed to have two or more units out on the battlefield at a time, because no matter how broken they are once the reach that hundred point limit they can be easily destroyed and captured by the enemy
Old 2013-05-20, 17:10   Link #9
cyoti

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordol View Post
-Valvrave VI (Hiasobi): indigo, mysterious. Its superpower device is the 森羅万象(All the Creation?) which uses a lot of Senses Nerves but what it does is unknown. Has a staff according to the OP.
VI is 紫 or purple according to the official site.
Old 2013-05-21, 10:51   Link #10
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
so its Okawara who did the Waffes units? which explains why to me they looked like Yuusha series robots.....
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Old 2013-05-23, 20:59   Link #11
Nvis
Where are the good animes

So Valvraves may really be based on alien technology?

Those old machines in those tubes that A-drei took pictures of. I wonder if L-Elf saw those?
Old 2013-05-23, 21:13   Link #12
~BC~

He should have. L-Elf certainly had more time to snoop around than A-Drei did at least. Unless Cain somehow knew exactly where to find the place for some unknown reason (A-Drei's dialogue seems to hint at such).
Old 2013-05-23, 23:30   Link #13
Nvis

The ___/100 overheat thing is such a big limitation. Even after 200 years, Saki didn't even try to improve the limit with future technology.
Old 2013-05-23, 23:33   Link #14
Key Board
Carbon

Episode 7 information:

At least in the far future, (3rd Galactic Reich Year 214)

Valvraves can reduce their heat gauge by clapping together two spherical gears to produce what seems to be an anti-heating chaff
Old 2013-05-23, 23:38   Link #15
Nvis

Yea, I saw that part, but I meant improve the limit like /200 or more.

Not use something that's disposable and limited(Ex. 1 time use per battle since it can only carry two at a time)
Old 2013-05-24, 03:20   Link #16
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~BC~ View Post
He should have. L-Elf certainly had more time to snoop around than A-Drei did at least. Unless Cain somehow knew exactly where to find the place for some unknown reason (A-Drei's dialogue seems to hint at such).
They already knew where to find VVV I when they infiltrated the school, so it wouln't surprise me if they also knew about where the rest are. (Besides, Cain seems to be deeply involved with the VVV project.)
Old 2013-05-24, 03:53   Link #17
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Regarding Ep. 7, I wonder if there's a possible Valvrave unit hiding somewhere other than the usual 5, plus the rumored Valvrave II? I bet it's Unit 7, or it might be the prototype Unit-0.
Old 2013-05-24, 04:01   Link #18
Key Board
Carbon

or maybe they are going to build one (or two) during the run of this season
Old 2013-05-24, 04:42   Link #19
Xion Valkyrie

So it seems like only Haruto's unit has POSSIBILITY, as even 200 years in the future Saki still has that 100 limit.

Anyone else finding the enemy mechs really ugly? I hope some better looking designs show up soon because not having great enemies to fight would make the mecha action a lot lamer.
Old 2013-05-24, 07:29   Link #20
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
So it seems like only Haruto's unit has POSSIBILITY, as even 200 years in the future Saki still has that 100 limit.

Anyone else finding the enemy mechs really ugly? I hope some better looking designs show up soon because not having great enemies to fight would make the mecha action a lot lamer.
Imagine when Dorssia is making their own mechas whose design are similar to Valvrave, or yet, make the Annilihators getting their own VVV-like form!
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Closed Thread