AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-07-25, 20:17   Link #1
NervZero
RAWR!!!

Send a message via AIM to NervZero
Hey I need some help find a good anime..

Hey guys I'm looking for an anime like Cross Game and Suzuka.. So basically i want something that deals with sports and has romance in it. Now the romance only needs to be present it does not have to be the main focus. However, I do not really want an anime like The Prince of Tennis that only has some implied romance... I need it to be a little more obvious.. I understand some of you will attempt to tell how i'm wrong and The Prince of Tennis is not only implied but is out in the open.. But that's not what this is about.. Another example of what i'm not look for would be Crest of the Stars... If you have seen all of the shows and movies you understand why I do not want to watch something like that.. Granted I loved the show I was just let down a little bit....

On a side note something like Nana and Skip Beat! would be acceptable as well.. Only i would like the anime to have some kind of ending and not just end randomly I need the show to have a real ending..

So here is what i'm looking for..
Romance/slice of life/school or college/something with sports or trying to become a super star or something like that..

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
NervZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 20:36   Link #2
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Why don't you give Dog Days a shot? The sports in the series are actually friendly competitive combative events, and the main guy is a genius when it comes to athletics. The shows does contain bits of fantasy and supernatural elements if that's okay with you.

There's also Over Drive. It's about a guy loving the thrill of bicycling after a girl he likes introduces him to the sport.

So what do you think?
Old 2012-07-25, 23:23   Link #3
leokiko

You REALLY should try the anime Touch. It is by the same author as Cross Game(Adachi-sensei ) and it's better than it in my opinion.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 17:23   Link #4
Elegance

Agreed H2 and Touch are made by the Genius Adachi Mitsuru
Elegance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 03:33   Link #5
tyme

I'm going to have to recommend Over Drive as well. It's one of my favorite slice of life shows and centers around cycling. It contains romance, too.
tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 14:58   Link #6
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Overdrive has no real ending, as it only covered the first few chapters of a manga that is still going today. Its romance is also never actually realized in the anime, so it's not really a good fit for your parameters as outlined in your post. That said, if you enjoy cycling at all, it's pretty enjoyable (even if it's basically a big tease, since there's no real conclusion), so from that perspective, I'd recommend it.

Gosh, thinking about this, I'm realizing how rare it's been for us to see a sports anime that has romance as the major pillar (like Suzuka). I wonder if the thinking is that the audience who enjoys sports doesn't care for romance?

Since I can't think of any that haven't already been posted (Cross Game-Edit: Oh wait, you watched it ), I'd like to suggest Princess Nine. The romance, if you can call it that, is definitely not the main focus of this series concerning a girl's baseball (not softball) team who's dream is to compete (and beat) the boys at the hollowed Koshein stadium, but I suspect you'd enjoy it anyways, as its a character-driven sports show similar to how Suzuka and Cross Game are character-driven as well. Definitely not a Prince of Tennis type sports series.
Also, cake.

Last edited by creb; 2012-07-29 at 15:12.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 16:53   Link #7
NervZero
RAWR!!!

Send a message via AIM to NervZero
thank you so much for all the help.. I'll check out overdrive (i think that's the one about the bike thing..).. And I"m going to check out Princess Nine as well..

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
NervZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 21:37   Link #8
Animefreak101

Toradora, omikisan and her seven companions, Shugo chara hmmmm I can't really think of any others sorry
Animefreak101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 22:48   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'll toss Chihayafuru into the mix. The characters play a Japanese card game called karuta which rewards strong memory, good hearing, and quick reflexes. The latter makes the game more like a sport than, say, Go or Shougi. Unlike most shounen sports anime, this one is a josei aimed at teenaged girls and young women, so it has a undercurrent of romance as well.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote