AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-10-05, 15:23   Link #1
Hatter
Never Knows Best

Akage no Anne discussion!

While there's dozens of request threads for this series, I haven't noticed any for discussion!

I've only seen the first handful of episodes, but I already love it. I'd always wanted to see this series, but I never thought I'd have the chance.

Being an Atlantic Canadian myself, it's especially thrilling to see my region so accurately depicted in anime. You can really feel the Ghibli influence from Miyazaki and Takahata's participation.

So, let's discuss this adaptation of Lucy Maud Montgomery's classic Anne of Green Gables!
Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-07, 01:12   Link #2
Hatter
Never Knows Best

Oh, c'mon, I know people are watching this!
Old 2004-10-07, 18:57   Link #3
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
This is not a sympathy post,

This anime was fansubbed earlier, and I followed it back in ... uh... looks like I watched it in September of last year. Unfortunately, combine that with the fact that World Masterpiece Theater animes have less following than usual, and few people are probably downloading this now.

I had also read the book many moons past, so I knew better to stick with the show since Anne rocks the house.... one of the my favorite characters in literature.

The Eastern Canadian aspects of the anime also appealed to me, since I grew up in a Midwestern American equivalent setting. Other WMT animes have not appealed to me, them based in 1900's Italy or Argentina.

Here's the first avatar I ever made, too:

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

-k
Kempis Curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-07, 21:01   Link #4
Fel
Clean up princess

So...is it a shoujo kind of show, or what? Anidb.net doesn't have too much info on it

I'm not especially big on shoujo, but I wouldn't dismiss a show just because it is popular with girls. And I like checking out really old stuff, like Lupin III and Future Boy Conan (which I will be starting soon).

What other shows would you say are similar? I might give it a shot

Quote:
This anime was fansubbed earlier, and I followed it back in ... uh... looks like I watched it in September of last year.
So I'm not the only one who keeps track of when and what he watches
Fel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-08, 23:45   Link #5
Kempis Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel
So I'm not the only one who keeps track of when and what he watches
Good for you, I had to start an excel spreadsheet to keep track of what I've seen. I downloaded a few animes twice before realizing I had already watched them. Happy Lesson I dled 3 times because I couldn't remember it!!! Argh!!! Some animes are so mediocre they fall out of my head.

Akage no Anne is a World Masterpiece Theater anime. That means the plot and characters are taken directly from a piece of literature from somewhere in the Occident. They tend to have a lot of episodes since the stories come from the decent-sized novels which came out before... say... 1930. Think of Dickens novels, though I'm not sure if any of those have been animated.

All the ones I've seen were clean enough for kids, though I think children would find them too boring. I've only seen two others, though. 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother (said to be one of the best) and Romeo's Blue Skies. I think I liked Anne best.

I don't feel like watching another anime in this genre, though it was good to see something which is a lot different from other anime genres.

-k

curious
Old 2004-10-12, 00:09   Link #6
Hatter
Never Knows Best

I have to say that I'm liking this series more and more. It reaches a level of artistry that few TV series achieve. The painted backgrounds of Green Gables - beautiful.

Man, I can't get over how much of a nut Anne is. If she were around today, they'd definitely stick her on some medication. She just goes on and on about the nuttiest stuff, you can't help but laugh.
I still think her voice can get pretty annoying, but hopefully I'll get used to it eventually.
Old 2004-10-12, 02:07   Link #7
ichido reichan

dude, I got all the dvds and I must tell you, besides candy candy, marco and perrine, Anne of the green gables is the best anime series that has this "quiet mood" is not shojo, is not your average anime, is just the story of how an orphan girl open up the lives of the many people around her and makes the green gables her home.

without spoilers, the series covers the whole first book and pieces of the sequel books, the most fun part is her life as elementary school student and living the country life, the music, the landscapes and the themes around dreams, friendship and how anne open up a new world around her.

the seiyuu on this series are excellent and is too bad that series with slow pace like akage no anne cannot be done anymore.

for me this anime must be watched by everyone, is a masterpiece like no other.
ichido reichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 00:14   Link #8
Kempis Curious

Would this anime be called shoujo? I always think of the main character in shoujo as being quiet and pretty, and getting swept up by the adventurous personalities around her. Anne's is quite the opposite of that.

Also, those people starting this series should not be turned off by Anne's appearance. Uglier than a sack of assholes at the start, IMHO. She gets more attractive as she ages. One of the great things about animation is that characters can actually age!

-k
Old 2004-10-14, 08:11   Link #9
ichido reichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempis Curious
Would this anime be called shoujo? I always think of the main character in shoujo as being quiet and pretty, and getting swept up by the adventurous personalities around her. Anne's is quite the opposite of that.

Also, those people starting this series should not be turned off by Anne's appearance. Uglier than a sack of assholes at the start, IMHO. She gets more attractive as she ages. One of the great things about animation is that characters can actually age!

-k
Well, first of all, it cannot be called shojo because it doesnt meet the rules of the shojo :

-It doesnt have the cute millionaire maniac stepsister/rival thinking everyday how to hurt her. (and no, josie pye doesnt count)

-It doesnt have the five group of bishoonen boys protecting her and trying to date her and following her all around.

-it doesnt have all the luxury and glamour of millionaire families that she mixes in.

-it doesnt have the passion and romance that your current shojo ask for.

-and anne is always beautiful, but the hardships that she confronted when she was little made her look a little rough (and believe me, she spent bad times)

-and to end, she doesnt kiss/make up with anybody, not even at the end so the lack of "passionate romance" excludes completely this classic novel to ever be considered on "shojo" or "pink novels"

Akage no anne, such as Heidi or tom sawyer it is froma genre called "bunny adventures" or "orphan action survival" or "tactical tender action metal gear anne"
ichido reichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 23:24   Link #10
Ayla

Send a message via AIM to Ayla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter
So, let's discuss this adaptation of Lucy Maud Montgomery's classic Anne of Green Gables!
-lives in PEI- I think I saw the Anne play once when I was a kid lol..sorry that was offtopic
Ayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-09, 14:43   Link #11
troop18546

Sorry for mega-resurrection of a thread, but I've been downloading this series last week till today and there ain't a seed to be found now on episodes 9-12.
I know, my internet connection is the crap-of-crap, but could anyone just seed this 4 ep torrent long enough for me to finish (it's 85.9%, not that much left)?
I'm getting a good connection sometime next week and would seed this for anyone else who needs it.
BTW, am I posting this technical difficulty somewhere inapropriate?

Anywayz, been searching for old gems like this or Swat Kats (which I found in a nice site with all episodes in full DVD quality, free of charge ofcourse) and stumbled upon this site's torrent. All I got to say is thnx for all this and I can't wait to download the rest of the eps. Cheers!
troop18546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 03:47   Link #12
tyciol
*Artist

There's nothing wrong with a mega-ressurection if the series is good enough =)

Especially since, there's notable NEW DEVELOPMENTS such as the prequel series 'Hello Anne' based on the 'Before Green Gables' book series produced in 2009 as the century anniversary of the original novel.

http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/1412.html

I remember I used to watch the live Road to Avonlea show on television. I think there may also be other cartoon adaptations of Anne of Green Gables produced in western nations, I would love to run across one in a garage sale. It may not have the 'anime' feel but I think productions back then were closer and more similar since we had a lot of cooperative works like Last Unicorn
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 05:38   Link #13
ragnarokr
The Rare Visitor

Send a message via MSN to ragnarokr
Another work based on Before Green Gables? Looks interesting. I'd prefer to see Anne Of Avonlea or other sequel though, but that is alright.

On a side note, there's a new fansub, this time from my country, doing Akage No Anne and they have plans to work on the rest of the WMT series too. Check them out!
Old 2010-08-12, 11:01   Link #14
Morotaru

I watched this along with other WMT series this summer and it really made world a wonderful place for quite a while. Such transcendental beauty and realism I'd never seen in an anime before. Mainly because of Anne I'm now quite obsessed with WMT.

Not sure about the Before Green Gables, though. I'm afraid it might break the spell.
Morotaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 22:32   Link #15
tyciol
*Artist

So I just found this epic comic at http://dailyyeah.com/2008/03/02/korean-comics-part-2/ which I'll embed here, hope the guy at blog doesn't mind. If so I'll rehost.

Part 1:

Part 2:

YUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarokr View Post
Another work based on Before Green Gables? Looks interesting. I'd prefer to see Anne Of Avonlea or other sequel though, but that is alright.
I think doing BGG is a better idea because it will probably get a wider fanbase, and it helps add a continuousness since people could watch it to hook them to be open to watching an older series like Akage. But I agree I'd like to see all the anne books as anime eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarokr View Post
On a side note, there's a new fansub, this time from my country, doing Akage No Anne and they have plans to work on the rest of the WMT series too. Check them out!
Will do, please inform them of the WMT group here on AS if possible. It lists which series have been subbed and which haven't to the best of my knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morotaru View Post
I watched this along with other WMT series this summer and it really made world a wonderful place for quite a while. Such transcendental beauty and realism I'd never seen in an anime before. Mainly because of Anne I'm now quite obsessed with WMT. Not sure about the Before Green Gables, though. I'm afraid it might break the spell.
Perhaps, you could always watch all the other stuff first and delay BGG until you've seen everything previous. I've put it off mostly because it's incomplete whereas groups like licca have fully subbed things like Les Miserables so it makes sense to watch the stuff we know we can finish first. Less stuff on the go to keep track of our place with.
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote