AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-04-16, 00:10   Link #6261
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Gotta admire all that sloped armor. lol
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 00:12   Link #6262
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!

They are more like curved armor than slope .
Old 2013-04-16, 00:23   Link #6263
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Also, I do think that an actual national team would have far different styles of play compared to a school that's just emulating a stereoptype of them -- the German team might really be far different from Kuromorimine, for example, or the French team compared to Maginot.
Well, we never saw how Maginot fought, and one would hope the German team is far different from Kuromorimine

But for the others, it'll be hard to come up with another "style" that will continue to be somewhat stereotypical (so it is familiar to the audience).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
The "we have to win or the school closes" plot in Girls und Panzer was the weakest part of the show. It was artificial, obvious, and unnecessary. The show worked just fine when it was fueled purely by awesome tank action.
I agree. If Miho hadn't been splashing cold water, we would have made it through the whole show without having to know about it.

Though maybe it was just the thing that makes Miho take a slightly bigger risk. It is possible she won't have risked the Hetzer in the same fashion without knowing the secret.
=
A possible idea would be to introduce really large (brigade/division) scale fighting. So, basically, every school will have to contribute tanks.

This will also have the pleasant effect of keeping Japan something of an underdog. All the "bigs" (German, Russia, US and even Britain) could have homogenous tank units that will be stronger than Japan's force which will be saddled by a bunch of Japanese, Polish, Bulgarian and other clearly not great tank power's tanks.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 01:02   Link #6264
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Actually, with the backstory being presented, I would want to see just how "hotrod"-like the American tanker are. And if they use men on the team, while the Europeans are all women, but do fancy maneuvers and precision tank dancing.
Old 2013-04-16, 03:06   Link #6265
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

The "close the school" plot device is needed to force Miho to push her team. Miho just wanted to have fun; her crew were not really championship material and she didn't want to whip them into shape to the detriment of her relationship with them.

The plot device is needed for the girls to try harder and train more desperately. Miho was always skilled, but she wasn't gonna be a drill sergeant to everyone else. Losing to Pravda was something that was fine for Miho, as the whole point was that she wants to be able to fight for more than just victory.
Old 2013-04-16, 03:28   Link #6266
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well the one plot device they would have in the international tournament that is preset is Emi. Her relationship with Miho would probably be enough to get Miho to try harder as Emi is seems to be the type of friend that only wants you to be serious about stuff, and if you aren't serious, she leaves and will tell you she's leaving.

Or she's a tsundere to counterpoint Yukari's enthusiasm towards Miho.
Old 2013-04-16, 03:40   Link #6267
Anime Online

If there is to be a second season, I'd rather it be a series of challenge matches, much like the match between Oarai Girls High School and St. Gloriana Girls Academy. Its quite boring when you know Oarai will win every match in the tournament, no matter how badly they are outmatched, outnumbered, outmaneuvered and outgunned, simply because the survival of the school is at stake. Even Hollywood movies aren't so exaggerated.
Anime Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 04:53   Link #6268
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well that would be the thing. On the International field, the school should not be at risk. At which point it might come down to either the character relationship between Miho and Emi (who probably haven't seen each other in six years), or the rules for the International tournament is different than the Japanese National Tournament.
Old 2013-04-16, 07:38   Link #6269
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
The "close the school" plot device is needed to force Miho to push her team. Miho just wanted to have fun; her crew were not really championship material and she didn't want to whip them into shape to the detriment of her relationship with them.

The plot device is needed for the girls to try harder and train more desperately. Miho was always skilled, but she wasn't gonna be a drill sergeant to everyone else. Losing to Pravda was something that was fine for Miho, as the whole point was that she wants to be able to fight for more than just victory.
Except that we don't see them training uber hard after that, and they even demoralized soon enough after hearing the news. It did cause Miho's view of winning vs risk to shift, but not so much it could not have been accommodated without an explanation. It would have been just as plausible for her to have been won over (for the 2nd time that night) by her teams' enthusiasm.

If anything, I'll say the primary "beneficiary" of that whole scene was the Student Council. They had been pretty rough in Episode 1, and AFAIK some people even now hadn't forgiven them. It gives them justification for what they did, shifting them to the good side, and also gives Anzu the opportunity to throw off her lazy mask and start to actually fight.

If not for that, between the whole nabe scene in Ep8 and the School Closing scenes, there are probably close to 10 minutes that could have been reallocated towards a little character development of the other teams. They might for example, as they shiver in the cold, remember back to what caused them to join tankery, or some random fragment of the past in typical uberlong sports anime style.
Old 2013-04-16, 08:11   Link #6270
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
If anything, I'll say the primary "beneficiary" of that whole scene was the Student Council. They had been pretty rough in Episode 1, and AFAIK some people even now hadn't forgiven them. It gives them justification for what they did, shifting them to the good side, and also gives Anzu the opportunity to throw off her lazy mask and start to actually fight.
You seem to have not realised that the Student Council wasn't being rough; they simply disguised the threat of the school's closure by stating the fact that Miho would not be able to continue with her schooling on the ship next year.

What they said was the truth; what they didn't say, was that everyone else was in the same boat. The Council was not being mean at any stage, they didn't actually abuse their authority. No one was being mistreated. Miho just didn't know at the time that she isn't the only one affected.
Old 2013-04-16, 08:50   Link #6271
arkhangelsk

All true, but as TVTropes said, it was a case of True Words. De facto, it was a threat, and so it will have stayed without the little revelation.
Old 2013-04-16, 13:56   Link #6272
Marina2

Rabbit team

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Credit: Pixv
Old 2013-04-16, 19:16   Link #6273
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
All true, but as TVTropes said
I always uses TVTropes as a possible supplement, never evidence.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 19:19   Link #6274
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
I always uses TVTropes as a possible supplement, never evidence.
ESPECIALLY since this thread is one of the page entry's sources. Remember, I ACTUALLY HELP with the Girls und Panzer entry (as a troper and an editor).
Old 2013-04-16, 19:26   Link #6275
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

well i can see S2 story something like this

"OMG! Our tank club is running out of money and we want buy a Exotic Tank!"
"Hey guys look at this tournament, the winner get 1 million yen + Legendary Tank!"
"Awesome! let's do this!"

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 19:26   Link #6276
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
Gotta admire all that sloped armor. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerklein View Post
They are more like curved armor than slope .
I have to admit, these made my day
Old 2013-04-16, 20:51   Link #6277
Gravitas Free Zone

The GuP/WoT connection is strong in this one.

Images
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=35055351
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 21:10   Link #6278
arkhangelsk

Quote:
ESPECIALLY since this thread is one of the page entry's sources. Remember, I ACTUALLY HELP with the Girls und Panzer entry (as a troper and an editor).
I sometimes scribble a couple as well - but I don't use it here as evidence, only as agreement with its interpretation.
Old 2013-04-16, 21:36   Link #6279
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
I sometimes scribble a couple as well - but I don't use it here as evidence, only as agreement with its interpretation.
Essentially, using "self-produced" material as agreement with an interpretation. Not a good way to do things.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 21:44   Link #6280
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
I CREATED the page. And did a lot of edits there as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Essentially, using "self-produced" material as agreement with an interpretation. Not a good way to do things.
Damnit, I actually agree with you on this.

You see? The power of Girls und Panzer means that I can find some common ground with arkhangelsk and Sumeragi, two people whom I immensely dislike and usually disagree with! Such is the power of tanks!

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, gup, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks