Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-08-25, 17:00   Link #1
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Believable power growth & no one-sided battles

Hi there.

I'm looking for something that is settled in the fantasy / adventure genre and features the hero (male or female) with his party on a journey to defeat the evil overlord or whatever, basically the standard setup.

The protagonists should power up along the way but not suddenly get a huge boost out of nowhere but as a result of what they did before.

Battles are fought at a regular pace although if it's smarter to avoid a fight then that's fine too. However if there is an encounter then there should be a constant threat to their life. Bad guys have skills too after all. What I'd like to avoid is fighting mobs that allow the characters to level-up until they're too strong. Why send small fries if you have strong subordinates?

As for the characters, everyone should be useful at all times and not simply get a single episode in which they shine and then be relegated to support.

Here's my MAL.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 17:58   Link #2
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Perhaps, the Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere series, I feel it flows a reasonable power growth of characters compared to most series, however it has an odd start it and a fairly complex plot with it very much using politics to avoid battles if possible at times, and has very large cast. (Though there are a few large boosts in the groups power in time due to items acquired or people recruited).

Accel World, technically it's a sci-fi, but it's use of the video game setting makes similar to those genres, and has very good power progression in the main character and his allies.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 18:12   Link #3
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Accel World, technically it's a sci-fi, but it's use of the video game setting makes similar to those genres, and has very good power progression in the main character and his allies.
This is one of the best suggestions that can be made, and Accel World is a really good series to boot. Some of its locales are closer to traditional fantasy in nature, also, rather than hard-edged sci-fi full of dull grays and greens; there's a wide variety of areas due to the fact that Virtual Reality is so prominent by this story's version of 2046.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 18:26   Link #4
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Fantasy is one genre that we don't seem to get as much of these days.

Which is why my suggestions here are all rather old...

The Slayers
Record of Lodoss War
Magical Knight Rayearth
El Hazard: The Magnificent World
InuYasha

I recommend them in exactly this order (InuYasha I put last since its very long and can get tedious at times ). Slayers is probably the show I've watched that matches what you're looking for the best. El Hazard is my personal favorite of the five, but its somewhat short (7 OVA episodes) and it doesn't have much leveling up. Nonetheless, it's a very fun sci-fi/fantasy tale with its main setting being a truly magnificent world appearance-wise.

However, if you're as cool with sci-fi as you are with fantasy, then I completely echo the recommendations above about Accel World. Accel World fits pretty much everything you're looking for perfectly (probably even moreso than Slayers), except its not classic fantasy. Dr. Casey is right though that it has some fantasy-esque settings within the show.
Old 2013-08-27, 09:37   Link #5
kitten320

Seirei no Morbito is a must!

Arata Kangatari - not the best but could be to your liking.

Claymore was pretty good.

D.Gray Man
is another nice shounen.

FMA - both season 1 and 2.

Hunter x Hunter - there are 2 seasons, old and remake. Each has it's own pluses and minuses so you can try to check out both. New one though covers more material eventually.

From ongoing series Shingeki no Kyojin is worth a check.
Old 2013-08-27, 21:29   Link #6
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Seirei no Morbito is a must!

Arata Kangatari - not the best but could be to your liking.

Claymore was pretty good.

D.Gray Man
is another nice shounen.

FMA - both season 1 and 2.

Hunter x Hunter - there are 2 seasons, old and remake. Each has it's own pluses and minuses so you can try to check out both. New one though covers more material eventually.

From ongoing series Shingeki no Kyojin is worth a check.
Maybe next time you should take an extra minute and check my MAL as I have seen half of them already.

I'll give Horizon, Slayers, Rayearth, Hazard, Moribito, Kangatari a try while I'm not sold on Accel World with the main guy being a ..pig. I'll skip HxH as I'm already up to date with the manga. As for Inuyasha, one day I'll watch those last 26 episodes ;_; While Attack on pacing seems to be more on the hilarious side from what I've heard.

One final note for FMA s1: It's bad.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-27, 22:07   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Scrapped Princess is not on your list and has a lot of the features you seek. Tokyo Underground might also have some appeal.

I also don't see Junni Kokki ("Twelve Kingdoms") there either. The heroine, Nakajima Youko, shows the most character growth of anyone I've seen in an anime. Even if it doesn't fit your request exactly, it's a classic fantasy and well worth watching.

I also endorse Moribito.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-29, 16:55   Link #8
kitten320

I seriously don't get why people hate FMA 1 so much. There was nothing bad about it. If anything whole homoncule concept was far more entertaining than in Brotherhood.
Old 2013-08-29, 22:55   Link #9
GreatTeacherKen

How about Jojo's Bizarre Adventure? The characters usually don't gain a radical increase in power because the fights tend to emphasize clever applications of their own powers as opposed to brute force especially once the series' famous Stands show up in the third story arc of the series. When the characters power up, they usually only do so once in the whole story arc. One sided fights are relatively uncommon in the series and are pretty short.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote