AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Pumpkin Scissors

Notices

Old 2006-10-27, 22:03   Link #401
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryaken View Post
I'm going back to the time issue. This is basically 15 years later from the start of a war. Alice, then, had zero involvement in the actual war then? I keep trying to gage Alice's experiences, she seems very solid, but still sheltered.

What have any of the scissors experienced in terms of battle? Oland seems to be the deepest in it.
Erm... if you go back to the very first scene of the first episode, you will find your answer. Alice had just graduated from the academy when the ceasefire was announced, so yeah...

ZERO combat experience.

The other two men are up for speculation.

Cheers.
Old 2006-10-27, 22:54   Link #402
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
I'm going back to the time issue. This is basically 15 years later from the start of a war. Alice, then, had zero involvement in the actual war then? I keep trying to gage Alice's experiences, she seems very solid, but still sheltered.

What have any of the scissors experienced in terms of battle? Oland seems to be the deepest in it.
Spoiler for talk of first episode:
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 23:42   Link #403
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green² View Post
Then the twit while at town, while supposably supposed to be keeping a low profile, reacts to the first incident, and tells them that "We're here to kick your ass!"
Not correct. As we learn right in episode 2, Pumpkin Scissors was created as a propaganda unit, so that the likelihood of an order to stay covert is next to nil. Simply because Machs and Oreld don't want to confront the enemy single-handedly (for good reason) does not mean that they're supposed to stay undercover. In fact, it's unlikely.

Quote:
She just couldn't keep her cool. And with her inability to follow orders,[...]
Where does this one come from? I'm not aware of her disregarding any orders, and it would be very atypical for her character. In fact, all details we've seen so far indicate that she's taking all orders and missions given to her VERY seriously.

Quote:
...to not think of the safety of the people under her command,
Also wrong. Once the decision to really engage the enemy was made, she listened to the input of her subordinates, and they eventually came up with a feasible plan (which eventually succeeded). And in the following chapters we learn how much she cares for them, just think of her falling asleep in the hospital room looking over the injured Oland.

Quote:
one would probably have to wonder if she got to the rank that she did as a result of her nobility.
Naaaah. She was obviously a regular graduate at the military academy, and the scene indicated no trace of preferential treatment. Therefore, her rank is absolutely normal. Her current _post_ is extremely logical too: The CO of a war relief squad which seems to be propaganda-driven in design, but whose idealism is totally compatible with the "public goal". In fact, she's a perfect match, because she's behind the idea 100%.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-28, 00:13   Link #404
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
agreed. Alice idealistic motives and attitude fits her unit perfectly. I won't be surprised if her psychological profiling was assess as such, and had predicted she would act like so.

mind you, i want to know more about that sexy red hair mechanic vixen !!
Old 2006-10-28, 01:20   Link #405
octoberasian
Baka Gaijin :P
*IT Support

BTW, reading some comments about it being realistic and whether the laws of physics applies, you do have to realize this anime is entirely fictional. Therefore, the laws of physics and logic have to stand to the side a few times during the series.

Spoiler:
octoberasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-28, 05:39   Link #406
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

All this talk of tanks and tactics is distracting from the real question - where is Mer-kun. Absent for two episodes now hmm...

Anyway ep 4 cemented this as a real winner this season. Lots of blood and mystery. The subplot with Machs investigating the Invisible 9 was a good way to flesh out his character and further add mystery to Orland's unit.

I keep meaning to mention this shot from the OP...

...which not only screams 'advanced' technology for the PS world, but also looks suspiciously like mecha.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-28, 06:04   Link #407
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

^

I'm thinking it's Invisible 9's version of the Fury, aka anti-trooper flame thrower units.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-28, 11:15   Link #408
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

All comes well for whoever waits, and this episode starts delving in the intricate mysteries that link Section 9 (a.k.a. "The Invisible 9") with the Empire's administration of their Military.

Randel is the suitable plot device for unraveling the true colors of the 901-ATT. The nightmare he suffered is a reocurring one, reliving what he was made for to "kill". The Dante -esque and surreal world of his dream I allude it to be the product of certain types of mind conditioning to block his advanced states of consciousness, and just leaving the most primitive corner of the mind operational.

In this way, the Anti-Tank-Troopers are devoid of regret, fears, doubt, whose minds become malleable to be taught simple yet specific sets of instructions.

The cut frames with the word "Töten Sie", and the word itself being scurrying all over Randel's body in words of blood was very bizarre.

Ok. The deal is that an organization either implied or alluded is in the works behind the tank technology which was provided to the count character from episode two.
Is obvious that those guys were responsible to stage the Count's murder and made it believe to the registry that it was a suicide. I'm inclined to suspect that the shadow organization actual operates within the Military and several higher-ups members of the Empire are involved within.

Their prime goal would be providing advanced warfare technology to the small nations, as staging territorial guerrillas for a means to obtain income. They could be aiming to create dissent and increasing the gap between the higher and lower classes with purpose of revolt. In turn, this would become a scape goat to use for a valid excuse to act and thus convince the Empire to pour the budget to them.

How do the Invisible 9 fit in all of this, I may ask?
At the beginning there's this female researcher who likely is writing a letter to the high-command of the Empire, as she keeping on with her experiment with another 901 test subject.
I presume she's writing the letter to her sponsors who are financing the 901-ATT project in the most discreet and confidential manner to report her results and progress made so far on the test subject she's experimenting on.

The organization are more likely developing a second generation of 901-ATT troopers.

I'm afraid to suspect that the organization has deep branches and roots over several of the political, finance, and management affairs run from within the Empire, the militia, and the public relations.
They likely are under control of Section 9 (The Invisible 9), as just many if not all of the first eight sections. I hope I might be wrong, and at least Section 3 is not owned by them.

Given Colt's unscrupulous actions, who he was the one reporting about the tank to an unknown source, he's as well participant from that organization, and since Alice back-neck thing, "Spider Sense", tingled when reporting the tank to Colt, then she would certainly be going back to him for questioning or ask permission for Section 3 to keep watchful eyes on him.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-28, 11:38   Link #409
Green²
It's bacon!

Spoiler for episode 1 discussion:
Old 2006-10-28, 17:02   Link #410
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:

Im guessing that that none of the other scissor 3 have actual combat experience they look like there green through and through. As for Alice i doubt she fought in the war but seeing the devestation around her and not being able to do anything is probley one of the reasons she enlisted. She maybe sheltered but she could have natural talent in decision making and her leadership skills are bad either. I can see why Oland decided to go back to the army her idology is kind of infectious i dont think anyone else would have been able to get Oland back
Old 2006-10-29, 05:45   Link #411
Lost

Watching (finally) episode 4, I think its safe to conclude that no one could have expected humans to start owning Tanks, going from what Lt. Webner said (she's HAWT btw, Babe + Mechanic + Tight overalls = WIN). Also, for all that talk about machine guns, I didnt see a single one in Colt's room. Did they exist back then? So far I've only seen rifles and pistols. Cant we just say that that world chose not to develop in the direction of increasing speed, but chose rather to develop in the direction of brute power?

Quote:
Last time the bomb was used, other side could practically do squat to defend & counter it. (More of a surrender or be annihilated kind of theme.) But within the Pumpkin Scissors world, the setup appears to be almost like a MAD scenario for both sides.
Its interesting how it took a second one to convince them. So being in a MAD-situation still wouldn't stop them imo. Humans just arent that way. Imo. Therefore:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberasian
My general assumption at this point after watching Episode 4 is that the enemy had tanks, the Imperial Army did not. Or, the enemy had more tanks than the Imperial Army. Therefore, they had to come up with something to counter that.
Yes I agree with that.. coming from Webner's comments, the closest things to WMD's they had in that world were Tanks, plain and simple. Just tanks. Tanks rule battlefield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar
And in the following chapters we learn how much she cares for them, just think of her falling asleep in the hospital room looking over the injured Oland.
At that scene, it was funny what came into my mind. It wasnt: "Oh does this mean Alice loves Oland so much she's doing that?.." but it was "Heh Alice's probably thinking that she has to stay by his side because its her duty as head."

From this episode it seems that something sinister led to the breaking up of the 901-ATT as a functional unit. Now, what I want to know is why is Oland still around, with that lantern (that screams his identity; to those who know) hung conspicuously on his belt front. And YAY, so far we see that Alice can break the hypnotising "Toten-Sie" hold that lantern has over him. Cheesy, but YAY.

Last edited by Lost; 2006-10-29 at 08:30. Reason: some small technical details
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-29, 07:58   Link #412
mtarzaim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
From this episode it seems that something sinister led to the breaking up of the 901-ATT as a functional unit. Now, what I want to know is why is Oland still around, with that lantern (that screams his identity; to those who know) hung conspicuously on his belt front. And YAY, so far we see that Alice can break the hypnotising "Toten-Sie" hold that lantern has over him. Cheesy, but YAY.
It's reminds me the first scenes from episode one. At that time, Oland seemed to be all alone. No other ATT was near him.
Would that mean he was already the only survivor, or did he hide himself from his superiors ?
What the use of a one-man-remaining section ?
Was he so good as an ATT that his superiors let him fight alone ... or did they try to make him killed on the battlefield, getting rid of their last sample ?

If this plan has failed because of the truce, they will probably try to make him disappeared in more natural ways. That's why Oland continue to sleep outside, avoiding Invisible 9's influence.
Or maybe he's just too used to sleep outside, to think about asking for a barrack ! ^^

So Oland might be an anime-made Forest Gump ...
Not really smart, but with a f... luck !

Anyway, the reactions from Invisible 9 about Oland still alive will surely build up the climax !

mtarzaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-29, 08:13   Link #413
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtarzaim View Post
It's reminds me the first scenes from episode one. At that time, Oland seemed to be all alone. No other ATT was near him.
Would that mean he was already the only survivor, or did he hide himself from his superiors ?
What the use of a one-man-remaining section ?
Was he so good as an ATT that his superiors let him fight alone ... or did they try to make him killed on the battlefield, getting rid of their last sample ?

If this plan has failed because of the truce, they will probably try to make him disappeared in more natural ways. That's why Oland continue to sleep outside, avoiding Invisible 9's influence.
Or maybe he's just too used to sleep outside, to think about asking for a barrack ! ^^

So Oland might be an anime-made Forest Gump ...
Not really smart, but with a f... luck !

Anyway, the reactions from Invisible 9 about Oland still alive will surely build up the climax !
'Life is like a box of chocolate tanks'

If you've seen ep 4 then...

Spoiler:
Old 2006-10-29, 09:55   Link #414
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
As for the fact that they tanks might not encountered anti-tank infantry...well then that means inthis would they have not discovered grenades, hand held explosives.

but then, they have explosive shells.... hmmm...

Usually hand held explosive come first, then explosive shells....

Looks like there's some offensive grenades in the above. But it could also be a rare specialty weapon as well. Although but with those, they should be easier to operate and produce over the Door Knocker. ...Just that we likely yet to see a lot of the probably many technologies in action due to it still being early in the series.

Spoiler for Rearranging weaponry displays...:
Old 2006-10-29, 11:49   Link #415
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
That picture above, a cap of a point in where they are observing enemy strength levels. Regardless of making use of the dog to relay communication, all that appeared left for them to do, was to get an idea on how bad in condition the nearby town was, as for command to get an idea on how much resources and relief that they would have to later bring over to the towns folk.
Okay so far. However, nothing from all this supports your former allegations against Alice.

Quote:
Here subordinates within the first episode did complain that they were just ordered to gather data and to keep a low profile.
Yes. Their primary mission was to assess the damage. This however does NOT mean that they're required to keep a low profile at all. In fact, there's no reason for that. It's what Machs and Oreld may PREFER to do, since they don't want to confront the enemy. But none of the two said that staying undercover was an order or anything.

Your key allegation was that Alice was disobeying orders. However, there's no indication for that. In the scene where they enter the inn, Alice reacts with explicit contempt to Machs' suggestion to keep a low profile. "Honorable soldiers acting in secret? Nonsense!" ... you seriously think that based on her strict military discipline, she would talk like that if she was ORDERED to stay undercover? No way in hell.

What really happened here is much simpler than you make it: This was no reconnaissance mission to assess enemy troops, this was exactly what they said: A mission to assess damage to the village. They didn't expect to find opposition (though eventually they did), and they had no special orders for such a case. In my eyes it's not credible to try to construe anything like this, ESPECIALLY since Captain Hunks later mumbled "How did such a big group happen to stay unnoticed all the time".

Quote:
Granted "We're here to kick your ass!" may be a little spiced up, but she made her intentions clear to just about everyone.
Of course. They're an relief squad of the Imperial army, which obviously gives them some authority (see the right to declare someone "war aggravator" and act against them - also in ep2). The other group are a crowd of irregulars, pretty much bandits. What Alice does here is pretty much playing the badly armed cop who opposes a group of badguys, no matter how outgunned she is. Do you seriously think she's challenging an enemy TANK with her blade deluding herself to win in a battle? Of course not. She is asserting her authority, with all risks included.

Basically, your whole note is such a gross mischaracterization of both her and her actions that it's almost hilarious

1) There is no indication that she ever disregarded orders
2) There is no indication that she fails to care for her subordinates
3) There is no indication at all that she got her rank due to her nobility
4) There is proof to the contrary of your claim that she is incapable

So what remains is exactly one allegation of yours, that she lost her cool. Wow!

Better court-martial her on the spot
Old 2006-10-29, 13:16   Link #416
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Yes. Their primary mission was to assess the damage. This however does NOT mean that they're required to keep a low profile at all. In fact, there's no reason for that. It's what Machs and Oreld may PREFER to do, since they don't want to confront the enemy. But none of the two said that staying undercover was an order or anything.
Quote:
Your key allegation was that Alice was disobeying orders. However, there's no indication for that. In the scene where they enter the inn, Alice reacts with explicit contempt to Machs' suggestion to keep a low profile. "Honorable soldiers acting in secret? Nonsense!" ... you seriously think that based on her strict military discipline, she would talk like that if she was ORDERED to stay undercover? No way in hell.
So your saying that being that if she really was following orders, then with her will to not keep a low profile, and then to react to the first incident and confront that tank as she did, that she has no brains?

Quote:
What really happened here is much simpler than you make it: This was no reconnaissance mission to assess enemy troops, this was exactly what they said: A mission to assess damage to the village. They didn't expect to find opposition (though eventually they did), and they had no special orders for such a case. In my eyes it's not credible to try to construe anything like this, ESPECIALLY since Captain Hunks later mumbled "How did such a big group happen to stay unnoticed all the time".
Yes, assessing village damage being a part of it. And they also likely knew that something must have been causing that damage as well as a result of needing the PS. But an indication that PS command were looking into putting up some form of recommendation to deal with the enemy chemical troopers, was when the head of Section 1 stormed in on the chief. The "How did such a big group happen to stay unnoticed all the time" from the PS chief is more of another way of saying in that it's very suspicious that command didn't look into this. That of course being true later in that there was an attempt to cover-up the Chemical Troop actions.

Quote:
Of course. They're an relief squad of the Imperial army, which obviously gives them some authority (see the right to declare someone "war aggravator" and act against them - also in ep2). The other group are a crowd of irregulars, pretty much bandits. What Alice does here is pretty much playing the badly armed cop who opposes a group of badguys, no matter how outgunned she is. Do you seriously think she's challenging an enemy TANK with her blade deluding herself to win in a battle? Of course not. She is asserting her authority, with all risks included.
It's that assertion without thought, that could've gotten her subordinates, the rest of the towns folk, and herself, killed. Now she may not like what she is seeing, but to go out there and potentially piss them off further isn't going to help the situation. And as what did happen, it certainly did go from bad to worse.

What I am expecting of Alice of episodes later on, is to see if she can iron out some of her emotions that tend to get in the way of making sound command decisions. Not to get rid of emotions all together, but to better integrate them, and to know when her emotions go too far.

And the second episode shows that she has much to work out, if she can't help to point her "guns" at those that taunt her by calling her division a propaganda unit.
Old 2006-10-29, 14:16   Link #417
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
So your saying that being that if she really was following orders, then with her will to not keep a low profile, and then to react to the first incident and confront that tank as she did, that she has no brains?
Was that supposed to make any sense? Please try to reword.

Quote:
It's that assertion without thought, that could've gotten her subordinates, the rest of the towns folk, and herself, killed. Now she may not like what she is seeing, but to go out there and potentially piss them off further isn't going to help the situation. And as what did happen, it certainly did go from bad to worse.
You're already shifting your position, what happened to the "disobeying orders" rant? Can we consider this one buried? Okay, then on to your latest one.

Did she run a risk confronting the enemy like this? Certainly she did. What if she hadn't?

If she had done what you wanted - namely to twist her tail and hide - she'd have run a lower personal risk. It could however have ruined her reputation with the townsfolk (who already knew what she was). Quite possibly the mayor might have bought it, or something else than just the water pond in the middle. The probability to get reinforcements from HQ was nil, based on what we know. In other words: Mission to bring relief to the city _not_ accomplished.

Alice is impulsive, idealistic and borderline reckless. Nevertheless, what she did was neither against orders nor illogical. In fact, depending on the functions they serve and depending on standing orders, she might have even been _compelled_ to act and not stand back. For example, if in modern times, peacekeeping forces see a band of marauders threaten or even kill civilians, they might _have_ to intervene, depending on their mandate. Even if they happen to be outnumbered and outgunned. The thing is, we don't really know about all this, yet. In fact, she might mave disobeyed her orders had she simply stood aside in this situation, what you seem to consider the only "sound" decision. In other words, your judgement lacks a solid basis and is thus very hasty.

Quote:
What I am expecting of Alice of episodes later on, is to see if she can iron out some of her emotions that tend to get in the way of making sound command decisions. Not to get rid of emotions all together, but to better integrate them, and to know when her emotions go too far.
Now what? ... in your last notes you were painting her as an incompetent brat of a noble, disobeying orders, probably even unfit to do a desk job.

Again, we are not in a position to pass judgement on her so easily. The following episodes have easily disproven nearly all of your allegations. Alice is taking her mission very seriously. She does care for her subordinates. She is capable and getting the jobs done. In episode 2, she managed to find a logical approach to sway her captors. In episode 4, in a crisis she was able to keep a cool head and assess the situation quickly and correctly. Etc etc.

The thing is that there ARE characters in war animes which fit your description. The problem on the other hand is that Alice doesn't fit your stereotype. If you handed your characterization to anyone who hadn't seen the anime before, he would be completely misled about her. Which is why I objected.

Quote:
And the second episode shows that she has much to work out, if she can't help to point her "guns" at those that taunt her by calling her division a propaganda unit.
Again, lack of precision. Alice tilted not because the Viscount called her a propaganda unit, but because he was butchering his subjects in sadistic "games". You'll see that Oreld and Machs were already readying their rifles before Alice had even said a word (which again indicates that it indeed _is_ PS's mission and authority to act in situations like these).

Why are you so hellbent to draw issues like these to incorrect extremes? I don't get it.
Old 2006-10-29, 15:55   Link #418
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Has any figuered out why Oland is sleeping under a bridge? Seems odd to me since he's an enlisted soldier.
Old 2006-10-29, 16:17   Link #419
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Has any figuered out why Oland is sleeping under a bridge? Seems odd to me since he's an enlisted soldier.
Maybe...

a) he's been surviving on his own for three years in the war torn country, so he's probably more used to his own solitude
b) he has vivid nightmares and is afraid of what people (aside from vagrants) might make of them, especially those in the military who would probably right him off as unfit for duty (bit of mute point maybe)
c) someone has to feed the local cat population

Old 2006-10-29, 20:04   Link #420
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
Maybe...

a) he's been surviving on his own for three years in the war torn country, so he's probably more used to his own solitude
b) he has vivid nightmares and is afraid of what people (aside from vagrants) might make of them, especially those in the military who would probably right him off as unfit for duty (bit of mute point maybe)
c) someone has to feed the local cat population

Maybe he's dangerous when he has those nightmares too. Also, you can't become attached to people who might hurt you if you're alone.