AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-10-08, 23:24   Link #1
StriderA
Watashi wa Kuragari desu.

Send a message via ICQ to StriderA Send a message via AIM to StriderA Send a message via MSN to StriderA Send a message via Yahoo to StriderA
Anime in Iraq? Anyone willing to donate?

Hello, I guess if your reading this your a little interested. Well, it's as it sounds. I'm in the U.S. Air Force and am stationed in Iraq. I got the job of supporting the Army and driving gun trucks across Iraq. It gets exciting, but that's off the point. One thing we do have going for us is a network drive that we're trying to accumulate Anime on. Sadly, the only way we can get said anime is from CD/DVD/etc. (Aside from having extremely slow satalite internet connection, the air force blocks almost everything, including BT ports, and ftp.)

So, the proposition: If anyone has some spare time and would be willing to donate to about a thousand airmen who use this network, you would make alot of people over here very happy. Anyone willing to create a few cds and spend a little on postage, we would appreciate it. We would like fansubs in almost any format (divx/xvid/etc). Anything that will easily go onto a network folder. I, in return, am willing to do anything in my power to return the favor. Pictures of Iraq are easy to come by, but not much else is. If you're interested, please email me: stridera at gmail dot com

My mailing address is as follows:
SrA Matthew Jones
2632 AEFTC 7th Battalion
LSA Anaconda
APO AE 09391

I'll check up on this forum as much as I can and answer any questions. My thanks to any who help.
SrA Jones
StriderA
StriderA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-10, 16:49   Link #2
LoveOfAnime
~Lost in the Moonlight~

Send a message via MSN to LoveOfAnime Send a message via Yahoo to LoveOfAnime
Just curious what type/genre of Anime are you looking for? If it's Naruto and such I can be of no help, but other types of shows I have. Let me know and I will see what I can do for you.
LoveOfAnime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-10, 17:08   Link #3
Avaj
?!!

Let me say thankyou for the work you are doing in Iraq, and that I hope you will be safe and successful.
Avaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-10, 17:48   Link #4
Thelastguardian

Best wish for you and your comrades even though I disagree with the US government.Anyhow I think basic needs such as electricity comes before anime. You couldnt watch anime on computer without electricity could you? So is clean food, flash water, relatively safe neighbor etc.

PS Aren't there Japanese defence force in Iraq? Somehow I think this is just a very very big loop way.
Old 2004-10-10, 18:04   Link #5
Bloodrage256
Naruto Otaku

Send a message via AIM to Bloodrage256 Send a message via MSN to Bloodrage256
Yeah the Japanese is over there, Some how I find this hard to believe....Show us more proof please?
Bloodrage256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-10, 18:16   Link #6
Necrodeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian
Best wish for you and your comrades even though I disagree with the US government.Anyhow I think basic needs such as electricity comes before anime. You couldnt watch anime on computer without electricity could you? So is clean food, flash water, relatively safe neighbor etc.
The fact that he posted what he did, proves that they have electricity...I'm sure they have enough food and water too. I have no idea if where he is stationed fighting is still going on, but I'm quite positive that not every piece of Iraq is under attack...constantly...if you know what I mean

I might be able to help, although I don't have a whole lot of anime stored on my pc, I'm sure it's enough to fill at least 3-4 dvds.
I'm wondering how much of stamps I have to put on the enveloppe though but I'll figure it out.
Also, please tell us what kind of anime you seek (as LoveOfAnime already asked).
As a return favor, I'd like to see some photo's
Necrodeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-10, 18:42   Link #7
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrodeath
As a return favor, I'd like to see some photo's
Actually if you look in his profile and check his livejournal (url under his "homepage") he actually has some photo's...
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-10, 19:36   Link #8
Necrodeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchop
Actually if you look in his profile and check his livejournal (url under his "homepage") he actually has some photo's...
Right....then I guess he has it quite easy
Necrodeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-10, 20:04   Link #9
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodrage256
Yeah the Japanese is over there, Some how I find this hard to believe....Show us more proof please?

Do you mean you find it hard to belive that the Japanese SDF is deployed in Iraq?

For proof all you needed to do was follow the news, or here is an artical about it from the Japan times:

Another year eyed for SDF's Iraq tour
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 09:59   Link #10
StriderA

Send a message via ICQ to StriderA Send a message via AIM to StriderA Send a message via MSN to StriderA Send a message via Yahoo to StriderA
To answer questions...

Electricity? Food/Water? Well, for electricity, we have big generators that run each shop. A guy comes by each day and fills up the generator with gasoline and it stays running 24 hours a day. It's powerful enough to power the lights, computers, and whatever else. As for Food and Water... we have a storage area that's filled with nothing but bottled water here. Across the base there is a field of pallets full of water. Food is good too. They even opened a Burger King and Pizza Hut on base. Things are constantly getting better for us here. Chow hall food which I eat every day is pretty good as well. Sadly enough, their pizza is probably some of the best pizza I've had.

As for proof that I'm out here... I thought my address was the best proof. If you look up LSA Anaconda in google, I'm sure you'll see Balad, Iraq places. Balad is about 50 miles north of Bagdad. We get mortar attacks here daily, but the base is big enough and the enemies aim is bad enough that few people get injured in them. I'm in charge of the computer systems for my shop so I don't go on the road as much, but convoys are pretty dangerous, as I'm sure you can guess. The last one I went on went without a problem, but I'm sure the blackhawks helped with that. The stories I hear from other crews though are pretty amazing. Ever wonder what a RPG would look like as it flew by the front of your truck? I hope to never find out...

As for what anime to send? We don't have much of anything right now. We have lots of movies and music up there (I put up the five or so CD's of JPop and Anime music that I had already) and we're willing to take anything. Personally, I like things ranging from Kenshin, X, and Slayers to Full Moon wo Sagashite, Fushigi Yuugi, and Kannon. I'm not too into the mecha stuff, but I'm sure there are others who are. (Someone put Full Metal Panic up already.) If your curious, I have a old list of the anime I've seen. It's about a year old so it could use some updating. http://www.livejournal.com/users/stridera/75242.html

Basically, anyone who is U.S. Air Force on this base has access to the network drive that contains this stuff. (It's appropriatly called the Morale Drive.) So, anything you send will be accessable by many people, not just myself. I said I'm willing to help offset some of the cost if that's what it'll take.

Either way, I'm regretting leaving all my anime in storage back in the states....

StriderA
Old 2004-10-14, 12:17   Link #11
StriderA

Just to respond to the person who gave me the following reputation:
Quote:
I'd sooner send it to a prisoner or ophan caused by that shit wrapped in a flight suit. They cant do their job right and they are murderers, therefore the only thing they should be sent is payback for their sins
Since it was anonymous, I just wanted to post here. I joined the Air Force for various reasons, mainly school, and pride. I didn't choose to come here, nor did I choose the actions taken upon the people around here. Yes, I do carry a weapon, and yes I have pointed it at people. Yes, I will do so again. I do so in defense of the life of myself and those around me.

I know of two people in my unit alone who have been killed since I've been here. People are planting bombs on the road and trying to kill us every time we leave the gates. While the sides are convoluted, I'm sure they fight for their own beliefs, but I have one memory of a little girl around 12 years old yelling at us, "I love you!" Those things keep me fighting and keep my faith strong.

My response to your comment. You're free to say things like that as you wish. You can even give me a bad mark for it. And it's people like me and everyone out here that make it so you keep that freedom. Think on that.
Old 2004-10-14, 15:28   Link #12
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

Quote:
I'd sooner send it to a prisoner or ophan caused by that shit wrapped in a flight suit. They cant do their job right and they are murderers, therefore the only thing they should be sent is payback for their sins
What a tool.

I hope you stick around animesuki despite this guy's comments. There's a couple in every group. I'm embarased for what this guy wrote and I hope you don't let that tool poison your view of animesuki.

I'm just taking a look at your livejournal right now and it's got some really interesting stuff. Everyone should go check it out.
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 17:36   Link #13
Ialdaboth

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriderA
People are planting bombs on the road and trying to kill us every time we leave the gates.
Just a question : what would *you* do if the USA were invaded by a foreign army ?
Ialdaboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 21:38   Link #14
bubblehead

Send a message via Yahoo to bubblehead
Quote:
Just to respond to the person who gave me the following reputation:

Since it was anonymous, I just wanted to post here. I joined the Air Force for various reasons, mainly school, and pride. I didn't choose to come here, nor did I choose the actions taken upon the people around here. Yes, I do carry a weapon, and yes I have pointed it at people. Yes, I will do so again. I do so in defense of the life of myself and those around me.

I know of two people in my unit alone who have been killed since I've been here. People are planting bombs on the road and trying to kill us every time we leave the gates. While the sides are convoluted, I'm sure they fight for their own beliefs, but I have one memory of a little girl around 12 years old yelling at us, "I love you!" Those things keep me fighting and keep my faith strong.

My response to your comment. You're free to say things like that as you wish. You can even give me a bad mark for it. And it's people like me and everyone out here that make it so you keep that freedom. Think on that.
Well said. Granted I don't agree with the war either, but I don't think it's fair to blame it on StriderA here.

I might send something. Are you interested in AMVs? I have a buttload of them (lol something people say at my school). Otherwise I have (checks) Kimi ga Nozomu Eien and Airmaster right now, the rest of the stuff I've downloaded has been licensed since then or I only have like one episode.

And Ialdaboth: I'd probably try to bomb the *expletive deleteds* and forget all about nonviolence. I may say I'm for nonviolence, but my experience says that all that (and my cowardice too) would probably go out the window if I get sufficiently angry (doesn't happen that much though).

Quote:
Ever wonder what a RPG would look like as it flew by the front of your truck?
*Final Fantasy VII flies by* O M G!

...sorry, I couldn't resist. Or rather, I didn't want to.
bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 05:01   Link #15
StriderA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ialdaboth
Just a question : what would *you* do if the USA were invaded by a foreign army ?
I would try to defend myself. The difference is, we're facing malitia groups, and are fighting for the people of Iraq. I understand where you're coming from, however. War is never a right/wrong situation. And sadly, the winner is always right, as the history books show. That's why I said the sides are convoluted and they're probably doing what they feel is right. Either way, I still need to drive those streets, and I still have to protect myself. Right or wrong. If you don't agree with it, do something about it and go out and vote. Your voice makes a difference.

And thanks for the support from everyone. I know not everyone agrees with our cause, but I am human as well, and I love anime. Everyone has a common bond. That's one of the reasons I like AnimeSuki. It's a good reminder of home.
Old 2004-10-15, 07:25   Link #16
???
Unknown

Lets send Full Moon Wo Sagashite for the good of Cancer Research on Irak
??? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 08:42   Link #17
X-1000
Banned

Ofcourse. so people living in Iraq can finally watch anime. Help spread anime around the world(even on antartica).
X-1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 10:27   Link #18
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

When you said "CD/DVD/etc.," with respect to DVD in particular, did you mean you have a DVD rom drive on your computer or did that only refer to watching DVDs on TV only?
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 16:05   Link #19
StriderA

We have dvd-roms. I don't, have a working dvd-tv set though. The one we have is probably full of sand so it won't play DVD's. I have about six dvd's I bought here that I have yet to watch. (The dvd-rom isn't on my computer so I can't use it all the time to watch movies, but I could use it long enough to upload stuff to the server.)