AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-04-22, 07:49   Link #2401
Marcomax

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Say anything you like but it was Princess Tutu that initially deconstructed the genre. Madoka simply had a lot more hype about it. And seriously, as much as it claims to deconstruct the Sailor Moon formula, it is still the exact same story as there. Thus in a way, Tutu is even MORE revolutionary. But ok, I do place it in my top 5 mahou shojo of all times. Here it is.

1) Princess Tutu
2) Sailor Moon
3) Madoka
4) Nanoha
5) CC Sakura

And in case you wonder why I consider Sailor Moon better, it is because I like my shows to last a few episodes more to get to know the characters and not to constantly trying to shock me with deaths and ressurections. I got Dragonball Z for that.
Princess Tutu it is then. All the reviews I've seen of it have rated it highly.

As far as Madoka's length goes, I would rather any story have 26 episodes or 52 if necessary. But for 12 episodes at least it fells like the story completed itself.

Yea I read your review, I really got a lot out of it. Just wondering do people like this 10 point rating system? For a show like this. It's not a 10 , but 6 and 7 feel arbitrary. The only rating system I've ever really understood is JesuOtaku's 4 star system.

Last edited by Marcomax; 2011-04-22 at 08:00.
Marcomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 07:58   Link #2402
Snork
Twilight lander

Send a message via ICQ to Snork
Quote:
can you imagine Madoka done in Bakemonogatari style?
yeah..
would be weird
Easily. The opposite would take me some effort, however.

Quote:
As Urobuchi joined Shaft, the hatred usually extends to him as well.
Didn't inviting a quality writer like Urobychi ultimately aim at making a show that would diminish that hatred in the first place?

Quote:
I have to say my interest in the magical girl genre has been reignited thanks to this show. I might finally get around to watching Nanoha or Princess Tutu (if that counts) now.
Dude, you just named the examples that are rather stand-alone in the genre. I can only comment on Nanoha - as was said above, it's not nearly a deconstruction but simply a successful attempt at making a MG series as sci-fi-driven as possible. It's quite traditional in some aspects, but I personally love it. Eve though it looks like Nanoha might yiled her first place in my anime top list to Madoka, after all. The Salvation Gambit is something not even a barrage of Starlight Breakers can measure up to easily.

Card Captor Sakura is also considered pretty fresh for its genre. And, to be fair, so was Sailor Moon back in the old days.
Snork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 08:13   Link #2403
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-in-osaka-area
Small perhaps, but considerably a significant rating.
22,6% of all the registered households at 3am? I know that's not much but it IS 3am and as such that's what is called a damn good result. Or am I reading the news wrong?
Old 2011-04-22, 08:38   Link #2404
Snork
Twilight lander

Send a message via ICQ to Snork
I guess full page newspaper ads kinda did the trick.
Snork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 08:59   Link #2405
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Say anything you like but it was Princess Tutu that initially deconstructed the genre. Madoka simply had a lot more hype about it. And seriously, as much as it claims to deconstruct the Sailor Moon formula, it is still the exact same story as there. Thus in a way, Tutu is even MORE revolutionary. But ok, I do place it in my top 5 mahou shojo of all times. Here it is.

1) Princess Tutu
2) Sailor Moon
3) Madoka
4) Nanoha
5) CC Sakura

And in case you wonder why I consider Sailor Moon better, it is because I like my shows to last a few episodes more to get to know the characters and not to constantly trying to shock me with deaths and ressurections. I got Dragonball Z for that.
Although I like SailorMoon as much as the next guy one thing I could never stand was the fact that after transforming people lose the ability to recognize them. I mean come on, they changed clothes, they didn't get freaking facelift.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 12:23   Link #2406
zato_1one

For me, Homura is definitely the most hardcore mahou shoujou I've ever seen. I prefer her fighting style (if it can be called style) over any flashy big blast beam. That alone separate this series from any other series in mahou shoujou genre. IMO
Old 2011-04-22, 12:57   Link #2407
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
Although I like SailorMoon as much as the next guy one thing I could never stand was the fact that after transforming people lose the ability to recognize them. I mean come on, they changed clothes, they didn't get freaking facelift.
And Clark Kent takes off his glasses and he is Superman. The only excuse they have for that is that people look at clothes and aura and not faces. Weak but better than nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zato_1one View Post
For me, Homura is definitely the most hardcore mahou shoujou I've ever seen. I prefer her fighting style (if it can be called style) over any flashy big blast beam. That alone separate this series from any other series in mahou shoujou genre. IMO
Are you talking about the time freeze or the latest one in the finale?
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 13:05   Link #2408
Demon Eyes
May Haru-ki Be With You

Send a message via MSN to Demon Eyes
Probably means using normal weaponry.

Bazookas to a magical battle?!!!!!

Arienaiiiiii!
Demon Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 14:02   Link #2409
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
IMO she really should have gone with nukes, just loop on more time and nuke that bitch from orbit!
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 14:39   Link #2410
Demon Eyes
May Haru-ki Be With You

Send a message via MSN to Demon Eyes
What about the population?
Demon Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 14:41   Link #2411
roriconfan
Banned

She should go fatch The Human Torch instead. Did wonders with Galactus.
Old 2011-04-22, 14:55   Link #2412
Akashin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Eyes View Post
What about the population?
In all due fairness, there were points during the fight that made me pause and say, "Huh, so it isn't Walpurgis that destroys the town after all."

Homura didn't seem too concerned with being careful with what firepower she used, or if people got caught in the crossfire (it seemed everybody was safely evacuated, but there could've been stragglers), so long as she took Walpurgis down.
Akashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 15:01   Link #2413
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
IMO she really should have gone with nukes, just loop on more time and nuke that bitch from orbit!
Nukes are powerful, but all modern firepower is enough to do the job of wiping out anything. The modern danger of nukes isn't the firepower so much as the fallout.
Old 2011-04-22, 15:23   Link #2414
Jimmy C

She wants to defeat Walpurgis, not level the town, which would kill Madoka as collateral damage.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 15:33   Link #2415
roriconfan
Banned

http://myanimelist.net/anime/9756/Ma...E2%98%85Magica
Check out the first recommendation bellow. Can we please stop calling Madoka the NGE of mahou shojo. Especially THAT literaly.
Old 2011-04-22, 16:04   Link #2416
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/9756/Ma...E2%98%85Magica
Check out the first recommendation bellow. Can we please stop calling Madoka the NGE of mahou shojo. Especially THAT literaly.
I have to admit it’s funny though.
Old 2011-04-22, 16:38   Link #2417
roriconfan
Banned

Ι rewatched the first season on Nanoha just to see how many similarities it has to Madoka. Well, the middle part may vary but the first and the last episodes were full of scenes they reused in Madoka.

Safe to predict what will happen in the sequel of Madoka based on the second season of Nanoha or what?
Old 2011-04-22, 17:37   Link #2418
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Ι rewatched the first season on Nanoha just to see how many similarities it has to Madoka. Well, the middle part may vary but the first and the last episodes were full of scenes they reused in Madoka.

Safe to predict what will happen in the sequel of Madoka based on the second season of Nanoha or what?
Just one small insignificant difference, Nanoha didn’t die to save the world.

We could get a prequel to solve that problem, but that would be kind of boring.
Old 2011-04-22, 19:24   Link #2419
roriconfan
Banned

She didn't die, she became Haruhi. Didn't you see her next to Lulu driving that wagon? Jesus was next to them complaining something about copyrights.

Keep your facts straight man.
Old 2011-04-22, 19:34   Link #2420
Makender
Varsity Slacker

Jesus has a business method patent on bearing the sins of the world? Patent trolling bastard.

I imagine the original god must be pretty displeased. You know, being dethroned and all. Well he had a good 13.75 billion year run.

Makender is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
despair, hope, madoka magica, magical girl, urobuchi gen