AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-04-23, 02:46   Link #2441
xizro345
King's Justice

Quote:
Well Arakawa Under the Bridge got licensed recently and so did katanagatari, so I think it's quite possible Madoka Magika and Bakemonogatari might see licenses in the near future, since some groups in America aren't "afraid of the unknown" for anime it seems
THe US market is in severe crisis, so I don't expect anything like that. Otherwise it would be hard to explain why there wasn't even a hint that Bakemonogatari would be sold overseas. Same applies for other countries, like EU.
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-23, 03:02   Link #2442
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizro345 View Post
THe US market is in severe crisis, so I don't expect anything like that. Otherwise it would be hard to explain why there wasn't even a hint that Bakemonogatari would be sold overseas. Same applies for other countries, like EU.
The only reason I could see it not being able to get one, would be if Shaft was asking too money for the license currently .
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-23, 03:05   Link #2443
xizro345
King's Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
The only reason I could see it not being able to get one, would be if Shaft was asking too money for the license currently .
Yes, and that's not going to change. Since no one knows its selling power here (unlike say, Eva), no one is willing to take the risk.
Old 2011-04-23, 03:32   Link #2444
brocko

Arakawa and Katanagatari kinda seem like more accessible shows imo so maybe that's why they got picked up first. Both shows have something that can appeal to those outside of the existing fanbase:

Arakawa has the whole wacky gag comedy that can be enjoyed by many even if you're not that big on anime.
Katanagatari has the Oriental Japan and Samurai image it can sell to Japanophiles.

In comparison:

Madoka is a show about Magical Girls, something most people would probably dismiss as a kids show on first sight alone. Anime gets enough flak for being viewed as "kiddy cartoons" so when you have this Magical Girl label on top of it all, it's not going to be very appealing to those outside of the know.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.

Last edited by brocko; 2011-04-23 at 03:48.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-23, 03:38   Link #2445
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Yep.

http://twitter.com/#!/HMV_Anime/stat...61498325471233

In HMV store, BD/DVD is finally out of stock. They are going to order more, which will be after April 27th. This pattern is expected to be case for the most of stores.

Plus;

Type Moon Nasu is jealous~~
Old 2011-04-23, 04:59   Link #2446
Lumine
Band Army Member

That drew a smile on my face
Old 2011-04-23, 05:06   Link #2447
xizro345
King's Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
Madoka is a show about Magical Girls, something most people would probably dismiss as a kids show on first sight alone. Anime gets enough flak for being viewed as "kiddy cartoons" so when you have this Magical Girl label on top of it all, it's not going to be very appealing to those outside of the know.
And to add to this, there's a whole "moralistic" streak in the anime market as well (I won't making names, but if you look at the first impression of Madoka on commercial anime sites, it'll be clear). That means even more issues.
Old 2011-04-23, 05:11   Link #2448
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

I don't care how much Bakemonogatari's sale was (even when i liked it also). But here i really really wish that Madoka will skyrocket the sale chart.

And Shaft better start to plan on a new original quake in the caliber with Madoka. But i doubt if any new series will top it anytime soon

PS: anyone who understand Japanese, can you check what's the feedback from Aoki Ume's sensei on the series overall?
Old 2011-04-23, 08:19   Link #2449
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Bakemonogatari, which is just about the best show I've ever seen btw, would be devilishly tricky to localize. Nevermind that any effort to do so would probably enrage at least a portion of its fanbase. Even if it wasn't a dangerous time to be taking chances on unusual anime, I can see why companies would say "why bother?" and stick to the K-Ons and FMAs.

Madoka is less of an issue, except that the only cultural touchstones we really have in the west for MG shows is Sailor Moon and maybe Cardcaptors. And while it pains me to say it (because it makes me feel old), a lot of people don't even remember those. Still, it's not as if I've seen much magical girl anime, and I still enjoyed myself.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-23, 08:37   Link #2450
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
PS: anyone who understand Japanese, can you check what's the feedback from Aoki Ume's sensei on the series overall?
If the use of exclamations in her entries are of any indication, I think she's really happy with the results.

To the markdown loser who said PMMM is a Faust ripoff, I'd say to that fellow: find something else to pick on.
Old 2011-04-23, 09:23   Link #2451
MaiNoKen
◕ ‿‿ ◕
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
Anyone who want to purchase Mado Magi must preorder NOW, or you might not get it earlier unless Aniplex decides to ship even more.

Because;
http://animapple.blogspot.com/2011/0...ed-on-top.html

A lot of stores are already suffering from tremendous increase in BD/DVD preorders after that last episode airing. This time, it is serious. Totally serious.
Even before the earthquake, Madoka Magica BD preorders have shattered all time records. Anyway, I guess this means Madokaism is spreading like mad in Japan.

I wonder what type of series can shatter Madoka Magica's records...

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
The problem with dubs seems to be a problem with ordinary Western animation (and a lot of video games) as well. The voice actors either overact or underact. They don't sound natural. I'm sure the Japanese vocals have the same problem, but because I don't speak Japanese, I don't notice it. So it sounds better to me.
Since anime is more mainstream in Japan, getting good VA talents in Japan will not be a problem. Investment into VA is investment to mainstream anime.

I do not think Rightstuf and Funanimation can afford and invest VA at the cost of Disney and Cartoon Network that can afford. Anime is still a side thing compare to mainstream American animation.
MaiNoKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-23, 09:50   Link #2452
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
I've gotten to the point where I can tell good and bad Japanese VA's. I can easily pick up the different inflections, vocal ranges, and emotional tinges that they use, and somehow it almost sounds more natural to me, as far as anime goes. And for myself, I find that overall, Japanese VAs for anime tend to be better than English ones. I've heard bad Japanese dubbing in anime, so I know it exists. And I've heard good dubbing in English, so I know that exists, too. El Hazard is something I can only watch in English because the English voices are better than the Japanese ones. But overall, I tend to prefer Japanese.

Even though I have issues with the story, PMMM's VA's were quite good, and matched their characters well.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-23, 09:56   Link #2453
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
El Hazard is something I can only watch in English because the English voices are better than the Japanese ones. But overall, I tend to prefer Japanese.
Agreed. El Hazard's dub is actually better than the sub, in my opinion.

Quote:

Even though I have issues with the story, PMMM's VA's were quite good, and matched their characters well.
I agree with you here too.
Old 2011-04-23, 11:28   Link #2454
solomon

I know I am late to the game but...

I just finished the whole dang thing....

......er 10/10. Twas an experience when so few shows are

Also, during the last episode......was I the only one who thought of this song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLafiUfEcPo
http://www.animelyrics.com/anime/gun...ondthetime.htm (lyrics)
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-23, 11:58   Link #2455
Demon Eyes
May Haru-ki Be With You

Send a message via MSN to Demon Eyes
Wow

Sayaka Hatin'

Does anyone actually love Sayaka? Really love Sayaka?
Demon Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-23, 12:36   Link #2456
Snork
Twilight lander

Send a message via ICQ to Snork
Sayaka and Kyouko are my equally favourite characters in this show... if that may comfort you in any way.
Snork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-23, 13:03   Link #2457
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Eyes View Post
Wow

Sayaka Hatin'

Kyouko does. Definitely

And i admit if it was not for Kyouko, she will not rank so high in my list either. Must be because i do look at everything from Homura's POV
Old 2011-04-23, 13:03   Link #2458
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Eyes View Post
If she was in another show, her foolhardy idealism would be seen not only as a plus, but the third strongest force in the show (Madoka and Homura still hold slots one and two, not even I can change that). Those are the kinds of characters I like and, if my speech patterns are any indication, try to be. No ill will towards Sayaka here.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-23, 13:10   Link #2459
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Sayaka has to be my favorite girl in the show. Kyoko was on track to displace her, then she did that weird 180 degree turn and she wasn't anymore. But yeah, I admire Sayaka's attitude, even if she doesn't question as much as I feel she should. Her heart was in the right place, and had she never found out about the soul gems, she would have eventually died with a smile on her face, fighting for those she cared about. I've heard it said that Mami had it best that way, since she went with a smile on her face, fighting for what she believed in.

I have to admit a certain admiration for Kyube, too. They know what they want, and without suffering from emotions, they go about getting it. I've always felt a strong draw for logic over emotion, and given the various intelligences of the girls (or lack thereof), I can't help but feel a bit of... Darwinism claiming the girls. If you don't stop to look that gift horse in the mouth, I kinda feel you deserve what you get. And an incredibly small portion of lives sacrificed to buy our civilization, well, that's something we've done to ourselves often enough anyway. People are gonna die anyway.

So as cruel as it sounds, I like Kyube for that. And for doing it all with a perpetual smile on his face, heh.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-23, 17:26   Link #2460
gsilver

Well, however flawed she is, Sayaka does have my favorite MG outfit out of the four girls.

I can't say I like any of them on a personal level, except Kyoko... a little bit.

Tags
despair, hope, madoka magica, magical girl, urobuchi gen