AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Ore no Imouto

Notices

View Poll Results: Ore no Imouto - Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 25 23.58%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 31.13%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 17.92%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 16.04%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 4.72%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 2.83%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.94%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.94%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.89%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-15, 18:20   Link #101
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I might be in the minority when I say, I actually like Kirino
Old 2010-11-15, 18:28   Link #102
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
I might be in the minority when I say, I actually like Kirino
Weirdo.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2010-11-15, 18:31   Link #103
Seitsuki
Onee!

You fools. Kirino is the MAIN CHARACTER! We the Faithful stand at Her side and smite the unworthy from Her sight. The legions of the empress are without number! The black traitoress shall be cast down and Her light shall spread forth throughout the galaxy! ALL HAIL HER MAJESTY!

Seriously, you guys need to appreciate Kirino more D;
Old 2010-11-15, 18:32   Link #104
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
I like Kirino too actually. Reminds me a little bit of my sister when she was little, though she was less selfish and more clingy and not AS bratty as Kirino but still bratty. Now at her current age she's just bratty.....and talks too much. >_<
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
Old 2010-11-15, 18:42   Link #105
Seiryuu

I was kinda surprised by Meruru. Apparently Kirino's favorite anime is an extra-violent version of Nanoha. And a Nanoha where the girl doesn't just sadly beat a girl's brains out to force her to listen to reason, she actually grins and incinerates her best friend! At least Nanoha never killed someone she liked, and seemed to dislike hurting them. Cute though it was, I'd probably be very disturbed to see any girl singing along with that, especially with Kuroneko's commentary on what the lyrics actually say.

Seriously, Kirino was walking dangerous ground at the hotel. It was a good idea, and a necessity since she'd just deliberately drenched herself in cold water in December, but still... And even if Kyousuke didn't think anything of Kirino in a bathrobe, he'd still get nervous to have a girl hear his little sister talking about the bath in a HOTEL. And since it's clearly that sort of hotel, you can't blame the guy for thinking on those lines. I mean, it's not even a makeout point or some place that'd been designated for the purpose, this place was built and run for people to pay and have sex. How can you not think of it in a place like that? Only thing would have been better is if he'd jumped at the sight of her and accidentally turned on the TV...
Old 2010-11-15, 18:44   Link #106
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post

Oh, and I agree with what Triple_R said, I guess s/he puts it way better than I do.
Thanks a lot for that, but you made your points well yourself.

Just so people know, I'm a guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
This. She has not been amusing me for some episodes now. If there's not much to like about the characters themselves when the dust settles down in the story, then they are doing a very poor job at character development.

I wonder how people would feel about this kind of story if Kirino was actually a guy and acted like this. I doubt she'd be liked by anyone at all.
You have a good point on the gender double standard.

We are seven episodes in, and I still can't think of a signal instance of genuine kindness and niceness displayed by Kirino towards her brother. If he wasn't constantly going above and beyond for her, I could let that slide, but he is doing that...

Ah well, this anime has made me see my own younger sisters in a more positive light anyway.
Old 2010-11-15, 19:11   Link #107
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
Assumptions assumtions. We don't know what happened in the past, all we know is that it resulted in Kyousuke declaring they hate each other. And it's obvious she WANTS to change, she's trying very hard and it's just that she's rather uncertain as to what to do.
Yes, it was Kyousuke who declared they hate each other, not Kirino. I'm very sure Kirino never hated him, probably quite the opposite even.
However, they never had much contact with each other. One reason for this could be that Kirino is quite good at school and sports, and thus probably got praised often by the parents, and got much attention by them. Kyousuke though, being more average, never got much attention. It could very well be that he always was envious of all the attention she got and thus started (consciously or unconsciously) to dislike her for it, treating her accordingly. Kirino then, angry at his unwarranted behaviour as she didn't do anything to him, starts to return it, and they start avoiding each other.

When their relationship picks up after he found out about her anime and eroge hobby, she doesn't know how to handle things.
This episode finally, she gets courageous enough to go on a date with him (using a yet-to-be-written novel as an excuse), hoping that he'll see that she does like him.

She starts off with a joke (getting hit by a car), but as she has a rather crude sense of humour, Kyousuke doesn't get it at all.
We can already see in the first half that she's got a crude sense of humour when she jokes about her friend Kuroneko being raped in her novel. Kuroneko has just the same crude sense of humour, joking about Kirino becoming a sex slave. While the two do differ quite a bit in some things, they also have more in common than either would ever care to admit.

After the joke didn't work, they go to a jeweller, and Kirino wants Kyousuke to buy jewelry, because she wants a present from someone she likes. This would've been an overly obvious clue for most already, but he's far too dense to get it

Nothing else she tries can get through to him either, so she finally pulls the stunt with the water bucket, trying to get his attention. They then end up in a love hotel - you can hardly get any more obvious than that. Kyousuke though, the king of the uber-dense, still doesn't get anything, and only gives off stupid remarks
Needless to say, that makes her angry. It would've made me angry as well

We already could see that he's the king of the dense in the first Manami episode when he didn't get any of Manami's advances, and later, over at Manami's house, he wasn't any better there.

In the end, Kirino hardly reached anything, and Kyousuke still has little idea about how she thinks about him. Even though he's that uber-dense though, his old dislike for her is crumbling ever more, leading to him defending her from her dad and Ayase, and now going out with her on a "research". Either he really was that uber-dense to not notice it was just a disguised date, where even Manami recognised it as such (wouldn't surprise me that much), or he's already liking her more than he would admit to anyone (including himself).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth View Post
I'm rather enjoying the amount of quality they put into this anime especially the clothes that Kirino wears. It's like each episode we see her in a new outfit and they're quite eye catching. I look forward to see what new clothes design they come up with next for Kirino.
Indeed, her outfits are generally a pleasure to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu View Post
I was kinda surprised by Meruru. Apparently Kirino's favorite anime is an extra-violent version of Nanoha. And a Nanoha where the girl doesn't just sadly beat a girl's brains out to force her to listen to reason, she actually grins and incinerates her best friend!
Listen more closely. She only did that after her friend turned evil, and there was probably no chance of turning her back to normal again, so she didn't really have much of a choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu View Post
I'd probably be very disturbed to see any girl singing along with that, especially with Kuroneko's commentary on what the lyrics actually say.
That was certainly not what the lyrics actually said, that was just Kuroneko's attempt at making fun of Kirino.
Old 2010-11-15, 19:18   Link #108
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himeji View Post
Yes, it was Kyousuke who declared they hate each other, not Kirino. I'm very sure Kirino never hated him, probably quite the opposite even.
However, they never had much contact with each other. One reason for this could be that Kirino is quite good at school and sports, and thus probably got praised often by the parents, and got much attention by them. Kyousuke though, being more average, never got much attention. It could very well be that he always was envious of all the attention she got and thus started (consciously or unconsciously) to dislike her for it, treating her accordingly. Kirino then, angry at his unwarranted behaviour as she didn't do anything to him, starts to return it, and they start avoiding each other.

When their relationship picks up after he found out about her anime and eroge hobby, she doesn't know how to handle things.
This episode finally, she gets courageous enough to go on a date with him (using a yet-to-be-written novel as an excuse), hoping that he'll see that she does like him.

She starts off with a joke (getting hit by a car), but as she has a rather crude sense of humour, Kyousuke doesn't get it at all.
We can already see in the first half that she's got a crude sense of humour when she jokes about her friend Kuroneko being raped in her novel. Kuroneko has just the same crude sense of humour, joking about Kirino becoming a sex slave. While the two do differ quite a bit in some things, they also have more in common than either would ever care to admit.

After the joke didn't work, they go to a jeweller, and Kirino wants Kyousuke to buy jewelry, because she wants a present from someone she likes. This would've been an overly obvious clue for most already, but he's far too dense to get it

Nothing else she tries can get through to him either, so she finally pulls the stunt with the water bucket, trying to get his attention. They then end up in a love hotel - you can hardly get any more obvious than that. Kyousuke though, the king of the uber-dense, still doesn't get anything, and only gives off stupid remarks

We already could see that he's the king of the dense in the first Manami episode when he didn't get any of Manami's advances, and later, over at Manami's house, he wasn't any better there.

In the end, Kirino hardly reached anything, and Kyousuke still has little idea about how she thinks about him. Even though he's that uber-dense though, his old dislike for her is crumbling ever more, leading to him defending her from her dad and Ayase, and now going out with her on a "research". Either he really was that uber-dense to not notice it was just a disguised date, where even Manami recognised it as such (wouldn't surprise me that much), or he's already liking her more than he would admit to anyone (including himself).
Well played and nicely put sir, well played.

But......isn't using a LOVE hotel as a means to show your BROTHER you care a little bit abnormal?
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
Old 2010-11-15, 19:29   Link #109
liquidmetal
procrastinating...

Wish the first half was extended more as wanted to see more Kuroneko but on the whole quite enjoyed the episode.
Old 2010-11-15, 19:50   Link #110
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoEnderZOE2 View Post
Well played and nicely put sir, well played.

But......isn't using a LOVE hotel as a means to show your BROTHER you care a little bit abnormal?
Normally yes, but I think it was just a kind of last-resort tactic, to try to get uber-dense Kyousuke to notice anything at all. Sadly, he was still too dense for even that
Old 2010-11-15, 20:03   Link #111
HandofFate

a back to business episode with some really enjoyable 'anime debates' talk that you see spring all over the world of anime internet forums.

I'm actually a big fan of Saori, she seems to be the oldest of the group. I'm going to assume she's around Kyosuke's age? Can't tell if that or if she's actually 25 or something.

She seems to act like a good role model for Kirino and Kuroneko and is doing a very good job of acting as their guardian of sorts.
Old 2010-11-15, 20:48   Link #112
Lunar Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
No. No, you don't. As Kuroneko said in this episode, there is no "right" way to write a story. Or a character, in this case.

Kirino is a 14 year old teenage girl. So she acts like one. You don't have to sympathize with her. The author clearly acknowledges her flaws, so he/she's obviously not asking you to, either.

Honestly, it baffles me that people, especially anime fans who have probably watched countless series before, still can't realize that fictional characters aren't always designed to be likable people.
There may not be any one right way to write a story, but there are certain basic things that every story needs. Even if your protagonist is an irredeemable, murdering psychopath, you need to give him a touch of humanity that resonates with the audience. You need to establish an emotional connection. So Kirino's a hardcore otaku. Big whoop. She has yet to demonstrate any significant redeemable characteristics that would make me even consider liking her. People may not approve of the fact that Dexter Morgan is a serial killer-murdering serial killer, but there's just enough twisted logic in his behavior that some part of you can almost understand why he does what he does.

Also, you make it sound like a significant number of 14 year old girls act like this. I've known my share, and the only one who was this emotionally dysfunctional that I personally knew had suicidal tendencies, serious abandonment and daddy issues, and bipolar disorder.

Honestly, if this is how she always behaved, if I were Kyousuke, I would've been perfectly content to maintain the status quo from the opening episode and never interacted with her at all. Who'd want to try mending a relationship with a bitch like this?
Old 2010-11-15, 20:53   Link #113
HandofFate

a bit confused at the end, how did the bucket of water fall of Kirino...from Kyosuke's reaction, it seemed like she did it herself.
Old 2010-11-15, 21:20   Link #114
ion475
にこにこにー

Quote:
I'm actually a big fan of Saori, she seems to be the oldest of the group. I'm going to assume she's around Kyosuke's age? Can't tell if that or if she's actually 25 or something.
Despite her outward appearance, she's 15, same age as Kuroneko. (For reference, Kyousuke / Manami are 17, while Kirino / Ayase / Kanako are 14).

Quote:
This. She has not been amusing me for some episodes now. If there's not much to like about the characters themselves when the dust settles down in the story, then they are doing a very poor job at character development.
As far as character development goes, there are character that are built to be hate, and Kirino is one of them. I guess people are not so used to a main character being written almost like a villain...

Anything to like about Kirino? She's too kawaii (and moe by extension).
Old 2010-11-15, 21:20   Link #115
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post

She seems to act like a good role model for Kirino and Kuroneko and is doing a very good job of acting as their guardian of sorts.
She at least is the most mature there. Official page doesn't give her age:
http://www.oreimo-anime.com/chara/saori.html

I'd put her at early 20s. Another hint in that direction is her size of 180cm.
Old 2010-11-15, 21:34   Link #116
winkel

Saori is the same age as Kuroneko, who are both a year older than Kirino.
Old 2010-11-15, 21:35   Link #117
Joe_fh

Quote:
Well Kyousuke never really stated he Hates Kirino nor he ever did hate her. He only stated he was being ignored (might be different in the novel but since it's far from translated I have no information)

We simply lack too much information on this one. Something to note is that Kirino's father didn't seem like the kind of person who'd praise his daughter very openly. That could clearly be seen when he was reminded of the model student Kirino is
and all her awards and achievements. He was proud but he brushed it off as something to be expected because she gets something in return as well.
From what we know, their mother loves them both and I doubt she'll praise Kirino a lot and leave Kyousuke - she just didn't seem like that type of character.

Another thing to note is that since episode one we've never seen Kyousuke ignore his sister. While you might end up being correct in the assumption it's his fault, he wasn't actually ignoring her or anything like that. The way I saw it he was used to being ignored by her and since she never made any attempts to get closer prior to that moment (at least we don't know about any and there probably aren't considering her attitude now) he probably felt "its better for both of us". If someone is ignoring me any way he/she can while I'm trying to at least get a normal response from time to time, it's quite clear at some point I'll stop trying and just accept things the way they appear to be.

Quote:
I'm quite sure there are easier ways to show you care about someone. Maybe it's because of her "damaged" personality that she went this far, but she skipped a lot of steps building up to this moment which are really important in any relationship. But as I (and basically you as well) said, she probably doesn't know hot to act and considering that all the games she plays have a "date event" in them she probably decided it's the best way to force some kind of progress in their relationship.

Quote:
She presented that joke in an all too crude and cold manner leaving the person it was directed to confused. It was clear Kyousuke isn't the type to get that type of humour even in the beginning and in general very few people actually do. But I completely agree with your observations on Kirino an Kuroneko here. They are very alike and that's actually the reason they are friends.

Quote:
I believe it's was already planned - regardless of how everything up to that point went. And I would agree, this is way too obvious but if you're actually on a date with a girl - a girl that isn't part of your family. look at it from another angle - if one of your family members asks you to buy something for him/her from that store, would you view that as a sign of love? Especially with that kind of attitude?

Quote:
Again you make a very good point but you have to look at it from another angle. If someone is basically constantly treating you like you're dumb and pretty much worthless won't you get annoyed and start giving cold remarks? Most people can't take even1/4th of what Kyousuke usually does.

As for the love hotel - I can't see how a normal rational brother would think of something like that as an obvious move when it comes to his own sister. Sure, he's a teenager so probably something might have went through his mind (considering he's most likely a bit influenced by all the games he plays) but I doubt it will be something more than that.
I mean it's his own sister, it would be extremely weird if he thought of that as a "move" rather than as a result of certain circumstances. In fact I think he would be trying his hardest to completely ignore the first.

The last part where Kirino basically said she wanted to spent the night there would have been all too much. That's just forcing a relationship to move and yet going at it in a very wrong way that would more likely inconvenience both parties and maybe even drive them further apart.

Quote:
Can't really argue here. Though since in the anime we don't get to know what he's actually thinking, he might be denying that just on the outside. Even if he's actually that dense, it could be explained by the fact that he might look at Minami more like a sister than simply a girl which would naturally make oblivious to any advances she makes. Considering the way he's talking and how he's blushing I think the first one is probably closer to the truth.

Quote:
Well their relationship is generally improving so both of them gained something from this. And the fact that Kyousuke has little idea that Kirino actually doesn't hate him is mostly due to her attitude and inability to convey her feeling properly.

He never disliked her - Kyousuke was at worst annoyed with her attitude (I would be too) but he didn't dislike her at all. From their interactions in the first episode you could clearly see he was the one trying to connect even just to be a part of her daily routine. Kirino completely ignored him or just cut him off every single time.
When he backed her into a corner that first time, he retreated politely since he saw it was going to get bad if he didn't. Kyouske didn't want to make things between them even worse.
At that time Kirino also completely rejected she loved her brother. Saying that she confirmed something that could also be seen throughout the episode - Kyousuke was enjoying those moments because he was finally able to connect with his sister, she was happy because she was finally able to talk to someone about her hobby and get it all out.

One last thing - Kirino was able to convey her feelings properly both when it came to sharing how she felt about animes and VNs when her father found about her hobby and when her best friend found out about it. At both times she clearly said what was on her mind (even though she couldn't say it directly to her father due to other reasons not related to her being able to convey her feelings).

I'm going with just the things in the anime so anything mentioned in the LN is not reflected in what I just said.

I'd also agree with most of the things Klashikari said as well since he made some very good points about Kirino's character in general.Mentar said something very true as well. A lot of people made some very good points.
There's a lot of things to discuss about Kirino and Kyousuke's characters but I'll save that for another time (this is long enough already )

That's basically why I enjoy Oreimo so much - there's an awful lot of room for character interactions and development - I just hope they don't make a wrong turn somewhere and completely destroy the whole potential of the series.
Old 2010-11-15, 21:45   Link #118
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Kinda odd with all the Kirino hate here. I mean, if Manami doesn't end up with Kyousuke (hah! fat chance ), it would be incest route more than anything. And I have no urge to put her on my blacklist regardless.

Then again, her obsession with imouto is <i>almost</i> on par with my obsession with osananajimi, so I might feel some camraderie with her lol. Might explain that. XD

That said, not much Manami in this episode means that I was only slightly amused. Kuroneko saved this episode, but that just be my inner Hanzawa fanboy speaking.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2010-11-15, 23:15   Link #119
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Can we really confirm that Saori is 15? That comes as a major surprise, if true.

As for the episode, I too enjoyed the first half more than the second but the ED made up for it - wow.
Old 2010-11-15, 23:20   Link #120
Sprite_Coke

Send a message via AIM to Sprite_Coke
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
a bit confused at the end, how did the bucket of water fall of Kirino...from Kyosuke's reaction, it seemed like she did it herself.
Since no one bothered to answer you..., yes she did do it herself.