Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-03-27, 08:45   Link #761
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

It's a graphics effect.

See above on the first screenshot.
Anyway, preorders are already up - with the standard package at 59.99 Euros and the digital edition deluxe at 69.99 (includes 1 Premium DLC + bonus content [probably dogtag / camo]). Will wait later for the Premium package - if I like what I see once the first MP gameplay vids hit the airwaves.

Anyway, if you're already a Premium user on BF3, you'll have instant access to the BF4 beta.
Old 2013-03-27, 09:02   Link #762
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Hmm. Thanks. I don't really get it, I guess.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-27, 09:16   Link #763
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Fall 2013? The hell? This thing is moving damn fast. And that 17min trailer looks like BF3 with upgraded graphics.

Good god, EA, you're sure trying to milk this.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-27, 09:19   Link #764
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

@Jagdpanther:
Some players do not like the high contrast and excessive lighting on BF3, which create greater-than-usual blooms and lens flares. They want DICE to tune it down for BF4 and make the maps less bright (I do recall myself some nasty encounters I had on Firestorm, wherein I was unable to pinpoint enemy infantry shooting at me because I had the frigging sun in my eyes).

But then again, most AAA+ games that have dedicated engines (like CryEngine, Frostbite, etc) place a lot of focus on light-based effects, such as bokeh, volumetric clouds, motion blur, light particle effects, differential lighting, etc, because they makes things more...spectacular...sometimes at the expense of gameplay (at least, some people do think so).
Old 2013-03-27, 09:29   Link #765
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
@Jagdpanther:
Some players do not like the high contrast and excessive lighting on BF3, which create greater-than-usual blooms and lens flares. They want DICE to tune it down for BF4 and make the maps less bright (I do recall myself some nasty encounters I had on Firestorm, wherein I was unable to pinpoint enemy infantry shooting at me because I had the frigging sun in my eyes).

But then again, most AAA+ games that have dedicated engines (like CryEngine, Frostbite, etc) place a lot of focus on light-based effects, such as bokeh, volumetric clouds, motion blur, light particle effects, differential lighting, etc, because they makes things more...spectacular...sometimes at the expense of gameplay (at least, some people do think so).
Okay, I understand that.

I guess I don't care if it makes the game more difficult. It adds an element of strategy to it and realism that other games don't really have. I do recall playing the game and having to engage enemies whose backs are to the sun. It's a pretty basic tactic of warfare in real life. Positioning yourself between your enemy and the sun provides a pretty big tactical advantage in some situations... not so much in others (if it's dusk, for example, and such a positioning actually silhouettes you, making you an easier target).

But, I can see how gamers would call "foul" on that.

Old 2013-03-27, 18:36   Link #766
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Saw the trailer. Callung it now: everyone dies, save the main character. Including ponytailed boonie hat girl, who's got a vaguely Oz accent.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-27, 19:58   Link #767
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Saw the trailer. Callung it now: everyone dies, save the main character. Including ponytailed boonie hat girl, who's got a vaguely Oz accent.
Way to go out on a limb there. lol

Old 2013-03-27, 20:39   Link #768
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Way to go out on a limb there. lol
It's just the most recent trend in FPS gaming. Everyone dies, bad ends, HARD MEN MAKING HARD CHOICES, etc.

Which is what I liked about Spec Ops: The Line: it took all of that and brutally deconstructed modern military shooters.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2013-03-28, 03:53   Link #769
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

One think I suspect about the SP campaign is that BF4 will be directly using MOH:WF as a stepping stone, as it seems to me that there'll also be a car chase sequence (see the part right before the car goes in the water). It comes as no big surprise, though, as DICE was heavily involved with MOH:WF (which used an improved Frostbite engine) and probably used that game to refine Frosbite 2 into Frostbite 3 (which is most likely a rebranded FB v2.1 or FB v2.5 at best).

I just hope it won't be the same thing as in MOH:WF - gunning down roads then waiting for enemy patrols to pass then storming again before playing chicken with pursuers. But hey, at least this time, vehicles CAN be driven (ye~s, I do remember the tank part from BF3, haven't forgotten).

And while we're at it, why not a zodiac escape sequence, too? That was in MOH:WF, too - and the 17-min trailer just hinted at a RHIB scene (or it could be merely a cinematic, who knows). o_-

As for the boonie hat girl mentioned above...well, some MP players have been petitioning DICE to implement female soldier models, so it could (I repeat: could) be a sign that BF4 MP will implement the female model option, especially now that the Pentagon has given the green light for its female soldiers to be part of the frontlines.

Anyway, there'll be quite a lot of new things to mull on already, such as the return of the Commander mode, greater destruction (fully destructible buildings, mayhap) and the addition of a THIRD side (Chinese, most likely) to make the battleground even more chaotic.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2013-05-03 at 11:15.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 05:09   Link #770
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I don't disagree overmuch with what you've said, though I still think boonie hat ponytailed girl is destined to buy it somehow. Haven't played MOH:WF, because I've heard it was a terrible game.

Still, looks interesting enough, but I'll only play it if my bros are playing it.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2013-03-28, 19:59   Link #771
JagdPanther

Wait, Commander mode like from BF2 with artillery control? Heck yeah! I loved that.

Old 2013-03-29, 16:49   Link #772
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

I wonder what kind of system requirements Battlefield 4 will have. I might just not buy BF3 and wait for 4 to come out
Old 2013-03-29, 17:49   Link #773
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Since Frostbite 3 is purported to be an improved Frostbite 2, I presume the requirements will be roughly comparable to what DICE outlined for Battlefield 3 and Medal of Honor: Warfighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlefield 3 requirements
MinimumRecommended
Operating systemWindows Vista (Service Pack 2) 32-bit(Windows XP is not supported) or Windows 7 64-bit.
CPUIntel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or AMD Athlon X2 2.7 GHz.Intel or AMD quad-core.
Memory2 GB RAM4 GB RAM
Hard drive space20 GB for disc version or 25 GB for online distributed version + 100MB for Origin Platform Installation
Graphics hardwareNVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT or ATi Radeon HD 3870 with pixel shader 5.0.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 or AMD Radeon HD 6950.
Sound hardwareDirectX compliant Sound card
Network1 Mbit/s broadband internet connection for Online play and Online registration and Activation
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOH:WF requirements
MinimumRecommended
Operating systemWindows Vista (Service Pack 2) 32-bitWindows 7 64-bit
CPUIntel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or AMD Athlon X2 2.7 GHz.Intel Core 2 Quad 3 GHz or AMD Phenom II X4 3 GHz.
Memory2 GB RAM4 GB RAM
Hard drive space20 GB of free space
Graphics hardwareNVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS or ATi Radeon HD 3870.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 or AMD Radeon HD 6950.
Sound hardwareDirectX compatible sound card
Network1 Mbit/s or faster

However, FB3 is reported to use new tesselation technology, so this could drive the requirements one notch higher, as the extra GPU processing can foist a greater impact on system performance (especially if you're using High/Ultra video settings, MSAA >2 and HBAO).

Last edited by Renegade334; 2013-03-29 at 17:59.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 22:06   Link #774
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

So, I've been spending my weekends playing BF3.

If you know what you're doing, it is hilariously trivial to rack up ribbons by playing as a PDW-toting Recon. I'm running with an MP7 on Nosahr Canals, and I always plant my T-UGS in a high traffic corner (everyone eventually goes to the center containers) and try to jump into the overwatch containers. I can usually rack up a decent number of kills before wiping, coupled with all the Surveillance scores. Works great on high ticket TDM matches...

I believe in miracles.

Old 2013-04-04, 08:29   Link #775
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-6000 View Post
I had hoped they would just do what they did with Battlefield 2, put in smart and capable bots and forget about the single player campaign.
Have to agree on the matter of bots. Honestly, Rare pretty much nailed them years ago and two console generations back in Perfect Dark - so how come today's developers have so far not bothered (or even come close when they do)?

Quote:
I'd love to see a sequel to Battlefield 2142. I'm a sucker for Sci-Fi and I feel that doing a science fiction setting can offer alot of potential.
Something I understand Planetside 2 and Dust 514 are showcasing nicely. Section 8 may not be on their level, true, but still puts in a good showing.

On a different note, one really has to wonder about when/why one-hit-kill melee became a standard (note: it's completely justified in Shattered Horizon given its setting). An interesting partial aversion, I understand, occurs in Special Forces: Team X - melee attacks do some damage and push the target back, unless landed from behind, in which case you get an execution (complete with mini-cinematic).
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 11:55   Link #776
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
An interesting partial aversion, I understand, occurs in Special Forces: Team X - melee attacks do some damage and push the target back, unless landed from behind, in which case you get an execution (complete with mini-cinematic).
This is present in BF3 MP, too: knife kills from the front seldom kill an enemy unless he has less than 50% life. You need at least two slashes before the target kicks the bucket. However, attacking from the side or from behind results in a takedown complete with assassination and dogtag grabbing.

Well, at least we don't have silly stuff such as ballistic knife (nobody uses that, nowadays - I doubt even the Spetsnaz still do [if they ever did anyway]) or the tomahawk throw.

But then again, BF3 had the jury-rigged crossbow so the pot will inevitably come forth to call the kettle black.
Old 2013-04-04, 19:55   Link #777
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
So, I've been spending my weekends playing BF3.

If you know what you're doing, it is hilariously trivial to rack up ribbons by playing as a PDW-toting Recon. I'm running with an MP7 on Nosahr Canals, and I always plant my T-UGS in a high traffic corner (everyone eventually goes to the center containers) and try to jump into the overwatch containers. I can usually rack up a decent number of kills before wiping, coupled with all the Surveillance scores. Works great on high ticket TDM matches...
I have picked up playing again recently and have been playing as Recon to get my first Service Star with the class (last class I have to do that for). I am actually surprised at how easy it is to get sensor assists. The only problem is that I prefer to be in the thick of matches, so I die a lot (but also get a lot of kills, usually top 5 in the match) and means I have to constantly look for new spots to set my T-UGS.

Old 2013-04-07, 22:11   Link #778
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I find that generally, there are some areas in Nosahr, like on the overwatch containers, where most people don't look, so I set my T-UGS there and start circling. Having a T-UGS up and running is a tremendous benefit to a team that can coordinate on the fly, circling around to cut off enemies.

Also, pistol-only matches are fun. I now, with practice, am capable of firing my M9 Taclight at a decently fast pace. I was racking up pistol kills last night at a good rate - I was averaging 28 kills each round, which is a lot better than I usually do.

Now working on getting more Service Stars - I've gotten stars for the SCAR-H, DAO-12, MP7, PP-2000, and SKS.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2013-04-07, 22:16   Link #779
JagdPanther

There are a few weapons with which I play a lot. I've got 4 or 5 stars apiece for the M416 and M249.

My ultimate goal is to get 300 kills with the Mortar. lol I think I have around 85 right now. Going to take a looooonggggg time.

Old 2013-04-07, 22:32   Link #780
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
I hope the matchmaking is like BC2's... Battlelog is just bad :/