AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-05-24, 04:46   Link #561
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
This ought to be mentioned already, but I'll mention it for myself:

"He/she is not my boyfriend/girlfriend," "We're not going out" and any variants. Even if there's a reason to justify the use of this cliche I just can't take this, ever.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-24, 04:54   Link #562
judasmartel
*Author

Well, people do that in real life most of the time.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-24, 12:41   Link #563
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
Well, people do that in real life most of the time.
Plus it's cute.
Old 2013-05-24, 18:28   Link #564
backbone
Banned

A boy

A girl

Both have feelings for each other

Both are about to confess their feelings towards each other

The result? Annoying silence (sometimes stupid melancholic music) for loooong time with none of them can even open their mouth

Out of the blue, something completely random occurs and breaks the silence, so does their confessions

CONFESS THE FUCK OUT ALREADY, DAMMIT!
backbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-24, 18:40   Link #565
judasmartel
*Author

1. The thing is, unless you have REAL guts, confessing love to somebody is easier said than done.

2. You know a person doesn't love you enough when s/he can say "I love you" so easily. Odds are, s/he's just screwing with you.

3. It's a plot device. The surprise is no longer there once characters confess right away.
Old 2013-05-24, 18:54   Link #566
Eragon
Still Alive

If it happens one time then I'm with Judas. But, if it happens more than a few times than yeah, Confess the FUCK already!!
Old 2013-05-24, 19:23   Link #567
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

I find the character about say something important then being cutoff by background noise kind of annoying.
Ichuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-24, 19:51   Link #568
judasmartel
*Author

Again, plot device. In those cases, they simply don't want to spoil something yet, but a perceptive enough viewer can know what it is ahead of time.
Old 2013-05-24, 20:06   Link #569
Chiibi

I won't argue it's a standard plot device...but when you are a shipper, it's frustrating as hell.

.........but that also means the director is doing their job, because if you're frustrated, that means you really care about the characters.
Old 2013-05-24, 20:43   Link #570
judasmartel
*Author

I am a shipper myself, but I don't really go that nuts when my ship doesn't sail through. If the build-up is slow, I take it to mean that the author/director is taking time. If my ship doesn't end up as canon, that's fine with me as long as they develop the canon ship well.

But yes, frustration over a seemingly failing ship means you really care about that ship,
Old 2013-05-24, 21:08   Link #571
Reek of Blood
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Reek of Blood
I had given up on shipping on couples in shounen romance since ancient time. Because I know the MC will end up with the wrong girl in the end and the girls who like him who actually have likeable characters will be hurt in the end.
Reek of Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-24, 21:26   Link #572
judasmartel
*Author

Well, that's the sad reality, and that happens in real life, too. You don't always end up with the best girl out there.

As for characters more likeable than the MC himself, I attribute it to either poor writing or the producers' need to make money.
Old 2013-05-25, 09:54   Link #573
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
a naked girl fell out of the sky with her assets landed spot on the main guy's face
same with the female demographic version with bishounens for you otome-shoujo fans

& somebody without a military background is capable of standing toe to toe with a war veteran
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 13:42   Link #574
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reek of Blood View Post
I had given up on shipping on couples in shounen romance since ancient time. Because I know the MC will end up with the wrong girl in the end and the girls who like him who actually have likeable characters will be hurt in the end.

Odd...I feel exactly the opposite.
Old 2013-05-25, 15:14   Link #575
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
'Not too foreign'

It seems that every other foreign character turns out to be half Japanese. While anime is hardly the only medium to do this, it gets ridiculous that every foreigner we see is actually 1/4 Japanese.
Old 2013-05-25, 18:04   Link #576
Reek of Blood
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Reek of Blood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Odd...I feel exactly the opposite.
I was talking about Love Hina, Toradora, ZnT and the like. You know? MC who always end up with dominatrix while the genuinely kind and sincere girls just gotten hurt in the end. It's just unbearable and irritating to watch
Reek of Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 20:18   Link #577
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reek of Blood View Post
I was talking about Love Hina, Toradora, ZnT and the like. You know? MC who always end up with dominatrix while the genuinely kind and sincere girls just gotten hurt in the end. It's just unbearable and irritating to watch
Well, I happen to like tsundere characters. Besides, everybody knows the tsundere's passion is the absolute strongest.
And characters who have no social problems from the start like the "perfect, kind sincere" ones are complete snoresville. It doesn't work if the lead is also a completely nice person...because nice, perfect guy+nice, perfect girl=boring x infinity.
The only exception I make for this is if the two characters seem to have a bond that is superior than the rest of the cast. Which is why I'm Team Eu instead of Team Haruna for Zombie Desuka? All the way.
Old 2013-05-30, 17:23   Link #578
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

I know it's supposed to be because she's supposed to be relatable to the audience(women) but how come we can't have a smart female MC when it comes to otome/male harem type of series? I mean, Haruka is quite intelligent enough that she can compose pop songs in UtaPri, but she basically looks stoned whenever one of the Starfish confesses their feelings to her. I liked Chizuru in Hakuoki, but all she does is basically serve as fodder for rescue mostly(though she did spy for the Shisengumi). And the chick in Amnesia is as smart as a box of cathair.

I'm sure most women want to see a buttkicking, smart woman who also gets any man she wants. Saiunkuoku is the only series like this where the female MC was as smart and terrific as the males were....

And this applies to reverse harems too: Most leads of these type of series are even dumber than a Kardashian.
Old 2013-05-30, 18:49   Link #579
Eragon
Still Alive

I think it has to do with the social environment that one grows up in. The author obviously will have a bias one way or the other - stupid females or stupid males. NANA is the drama anime I have seen that doesn't have more than a couple of naive characters.

Like this(sorry, I have GOT to rant on this). Shirou(from F S/N) telling Saber(a Knight) that a girl shouldn't be swinging a sword about AFTER she saves his ass. So, yeah...the biases developed when growing up are kind of hard to get rid off I guess. Doesn't mean its not annoying (I swear to Kratos, I will kill Shirou if he was a real person).
Old 2013-05-30, 18:54   Link #580
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
I know it's supposed to be because she's supposed to be relatable to the audience(women)...
Bingo. You answered your own question before even raising it.

And really, it's no different than most male leads in harem shows. So why would you expect female leads in reverse harem shows to be any better?

The true star of the harem shows (including reverse harems) are typically the harem members, not the character they revolve around.

Tags
disscusion, manga cliche good bad