AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-10-11, 11:58   Link #61
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Orchestral scores are always great but what topped the cake for me was when they threw in flamenco for Zero.

In other news, Kei Nagase is making her return in this and has a blog. I'm guessing Bamco is making sure there's at least one Nagase in all their games.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 14:39   Link #62
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

She's gonna be in Assault Horizon? lol wut
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 19:39   Link #63
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Nagase is the very foundation of Ace Combat games apparently. It's a necessity to have her in every game in order to make it official that it's an Ace Combat game
Old 2011-10-11, 19:48   Link #64
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

lol, is this her?

Spoiler:
Old 2011-10-11, 22:33   Link #65
Spartanz1170

Just finished the campaign, dear god it was so intense im STILL shaking and having a hard time trying to type this.
To those who play the campaign, you wont be dissapointed, you will be at the edge of your seat, all day long.
Spartanz1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 22:56   Link #66
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
lol, is this her?

Spoiler:
Yes, that's her.
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-12, 10:13   Link #67
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Gametrailers review of Ace Combat: Assault Horizon
Old 2011-10-12, 13:46   Link #68
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Just saw that. I actually expected a higher number after all the positives they mentioned, but that's not stopping me from getting it eventually.
Old 2011-10-12, 20:27   Link #69
Jeffry2009
Banned

Gamespot review is up. I say BLASPHEMY!!

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/acti...tabs%3Breviews

THIS the reason why I can't trust Gamespot anymore unlike IGN.

Last edited by Jeffry2009; 2011-10-13 at 02:41. Reason: I just don't want to start a flame wars because of this.
Old 2011-10-12, 21:58   Link #70
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

"Forces you into a constant loop of dogfights." Isnt that generally the point of Ace Combat games? Might actually not be, but it felt that way to me.
Old 2011-10-13, 02:38   Link #71
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

I don't care what anyone says. DFM is really fun once you get used to it.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 07:50   Link #72
Jeffry2009
Banned

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Review Scores Steadily Gain Altitude

http://kotaku.com/5849298/

Do I really need to repeat all of this again? I mean that I couldn't even trust those reviewers whatsoever till I will conflicting whether to buy this game or not?

Last edited by Jeffry2009; 2011-10-13 at 21:24.
Old 2011-10-13, 14:55   Link #73
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffry2009 View Post
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/acti...tabs%3Breviews

THIS the reason why I can't trust Gamespot anymore unlike IGN.
You think thats bad you should read 1up's review.

I'm still going to buy it anyway and besides the reviews on kotaku are alright besides gamestops.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 21:08   Link #74
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

I like the game, it has great details, and the explosions are the best the series ever had. The DFM is fun and engaging, really gets ya pumped up. I did however encounter one flaw that really marks down the game for me.

You can't use unlocked planes or custom paint in campaign. Even after ya beat it. Now this wouldn't be a problem for me since you have free mission which does allow those things. EXCEPT, it completely cuts out the cut scenes.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 20:21   Link #75
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Picked it up and enjoying what I have played of the campaign, I like how diversified the missions have been so far.

Online however I'm not really enjoying as much since I like playing as the attacker or chopper aircraft types but have little chance against the overwhelming majority of people who seem to just use the fighters. Also DFM kinda widens the gap even more between fighter and other classes and in my honest opinion it takes a bit of the skill out of it.

Also whoever negative repped me saying "Wait, don't you mean Gamespot?" no I was clearly referring to 1up's review being worse, so cheers for that.

Old 2011-10-18, 04:12   Link #76
Gault
inc_mplete

even before the game was release I was already put off
sorry Ace Combat you've literally dissapointed me with this change to make it a Call Of Duty styled game

I hope they re-make Ace Combat 4 but as the Yellow Squadron
I liked the made-up nations and deep stories the old games have, that's what made it "Ace Combat"
Gault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-28, 18:12   Link #77
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
I'm not sure if I should get it, but I like the story.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-29, 01:48   Link #78
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Just youtubed the entire single player campaign of this game.

Two things positive about it:

William Bishop is not a blank-slate character (though barely above such, the guy is next to emotionless)
I'm Russian, so I absolutely loved the moments of bilingual bonus.

That said, I am unequivocally disappointed with everything else plotwise. Why did they need to sign Jim Defelice to this, when the story was next to nonexistent?

Bunch of separatist Russians led by a guy who wants revenge for his dead wife try to stage a coup in Russia and then try to blow up the White House, but get stopped by a next-to-emotionless ace with nightmare issues over a guy with a shark's mouth painted on the nose of his plane.

There is next to no character interaction, and no character development to speak of whatsoever. Every character we meet is identical from the time we meet them to the end of the game, because the campaign was so short as to not even allow the characters time to develop, aside from perhaps Bishop at the very end resolving his nagging nightmare issue.

Also, IMO several missions were wasted on helicopter missions. Considering one mission had the player black screen for a second and say "three deaths later" twice, not to mention how boring it was to watch (strafing contests between Apache and Hind that took one minute to play out per instance), which could have been more fighter jet missions.

And also WTF was the whole thing about planes bouncing off the ground instead of crashing? Big lol there.

Now, while the graphics and the metal carnage system was a really innovative touch, well, there's only so many times until that mini-cinematic of a Fulcrum or Flanker disintegrating is cool.

Essentially, IMO, after you take the test of time, nobody's really going to remember how good your graphics were, how "innovative" your battle system was, or whatever else. After all is said and done, IMO only two aspects of a game stand the test of time:

1) the soundtrack
2) the story.

In the former, ACAH's main theme is kicking, but its story never really had time to even get off the runway. And IMO, the lack of a story is a colossal failure for a company who constantly tells games with epic plots, whether in a medieval-cum-fantasy setting (Soul Calibur), or a modern-day war era (AC4, 5, Zero).

I for one want to go back to StrangeReal, with larger than life aces, such as Mobius 1, Cipher/Pixy, and Wardog squadron. Except hopefully the next games give the central protagonist more character development than the AFGNCAAPs that were Mobius, Blaze, and Cipher.
Old 2011-10-30, 19:08   Link #79
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Hit the nail on the head.

Overall I was bitterly disappointed with nearly everything about the game, sure there was some good missions that I did enjoy and the graphics where nice when you shredded an enemy plane but there was way more bad that out weighted the good.

I commend them for trying to do something new but its almost like they just copied the Tom Clancy hawx formula thinking it appealed to the western market and as a result it turned out to be the worst in the series.

I traded my copy in which is saying something since I still have AC6 which I bought on the day of its release.

Old 2012-04-17, 14:58   Link #80
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Haven't played a AC game in like forever, think the last game I played was 3 or 2
But reason I may try the series out again is simply cause of this.
Totally getting it cause it looks fab and it's made by Hasegawa plus it's actually quite cheap!