AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Aquarion Series > Past Aquarion Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Aquarion EVOL - Episode 26 [End] Rating
Perfect 10 25 27.47%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 17.58%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 7.69%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 13.19%
6 out of 10 : Average 10 10.99%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 6.59%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 2.20%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 2.20%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 11 12.09%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-06-24, 19:50   Link #161
mayumi

You know Zessica could really be reika but it is never stated for sure. Her suffering would make sense cause she is actually waiting for sirius or glen and that stupid reika's curse still effects her even this timeline.
Old 2012-06-24, 19:51   Link #162
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Look, we all knew that the ending wasn't going to please everybody. Some people like it and some people don't like it. I stated how I felt earlier.

Mayumi That reminds me, Sirius never got his due.
Old 2012-06-24, 20:08   Link #163
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayumi View Post
You know Zessica could really be reika but it is never stated for sure. Her suffering would make sense cause she is actually waiting for sirius or glen and that stupid reika's curse still effects her even this timeline.
Well that would suck, considering it was implied that the Sirius part of Celiane's soul merged back with the Silvia part. It follows that Sirius is no more...
Zessica: forever alone
Old 2012-06-24, 21:02   Link #164
Vena
Carpe Diem

In and of itself, in a complete and total void, this episode has all the qualities to be good: it was entertaining, it had great action and production budget, the characters rallying together to beat the common big bad, the hero saving the princess, the rival supporting the hero. But... when you strip away the black drapes and put in context with the rest of the show, it's kind of hollow. This was like a salvaging attempt and while it was good within itself it just doesn't really do anything on the whole and it does come off as rushed.

Kagura in this episode is a different character from Kagura in the last episode or any other for that matter. Its a different person entirely: he's suddenly not completely single-minded, he's suddenly supportive, he's suddenly ok with giving up when MINUTES before (in universe time) he was willing to watch Altair fall to pieces rather than give up, but... he's, once again, a plot device. And that summarizes his character or lack thereof, he's so inconsequential that his entire character motif can and was flipped on its head just to *round off* a loose end and the plot.

Zessica is... a mess. There's not even a conclusion to her character, she's just left in a state of *unrequited love* and the show makes no effort to try and change this, explain it (why was it necessary in the first place), or do much of anything with it. It was, much like Kagura, a plot device for Mykage's ascension that was dropped the moment it stopped being relevant. In one minute, she went from not having appeared for two episodes and broken down completely, to Mykage somehow being inconvenienced by Kagura being... there, somehow. And so Mykage, much like the plot, dumped her out of the Aquarion. What an unceremonious conclusion, and you would have thought after all the hulabaloo of turning her body into a makeshift-him... something more would have happened.

In fact, many, many things were just left in the air or dropped entirely after being the *plot device for the moment*.

Last edited by Vena; 2012-06-24 at 21:25. Reason: Punctuation Mistakes
Old 2012-06-24, 21:07   Link #165
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Yeah, I'm glad I dropped this. For that matter, I'm not watching anymore 2-cour original shows, or really, any original anime if I can help it. They always end up with severely wasted potential and dishonest, confused writing.
So thank you, EVOL, for making me bitter again.
Man I don't think it has anything to do with being original series, there's just been a rash of REALLY shitty mecha ones of late, again mostly produced by this very company Satelight, but also with a little help from Bones and I.G. It's really depressing because usually I love mecha originals, they're like my bread and butter of anime watching, and they just haven't been cutting it lately on account of the total slipshod writing and lack of focus that you mention. I also agree actually that they feel totally dishonest and like the writers couldn't really care less how much sense they make or how enjoyable the characters and their interactions are.

Really hoping this is the last of the bad stuff when it comes to mecha originals.
Old 2012-06-24, 21:10   Link #166
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
In and of itself, in a complete and total void. This episode has all the qualities to be good: it was entertaining, it had great action and production budget, the characters rallying together to beat the common big bad, the hero saving the princess, the rival supporting the hero. But... when you strip away the black drapes and put in context with the rest of the show, it's kind of hollow. This was like a salvaging attempt and while it was good within itself it just doesn't really do anything on the whole and it does come off as rushed.

Kagura in this episode is a different character from Kagura in the last episode or any other for that matter. Its a different person entirely: he's suddenly not completely single-minded, he's suddenly supportive, he's suddenly ok with giving up when MINUTES before (in universe time) he was willing to watch Altair fall to pieces rather than give up, but... he's, once again, a plot device. And that summarizes his character or lack thereof, he's so inconsequential that his entire character motif can and was flipped on its head just to *round off* a loose end and the plot.

Zessica is... a mess. There's not even a conclusion to her character, she's just left in a state of *unrequited love* and the show makes no effort to try and change this, explain it (why was it necessary in the first place), or do much of anything with it. It was, much like Kagura, a plot device for Mykage's ascension that was dropped the moment it stopped being relevant. In one minute, she went from not having appeared for two episodes and broken down completely, to Mykage somehow being inconvenienced by Kagura being... there, somehow. And so Mykage, much like the plot, dumped her out of the Aquarion. What an unceremonious conclusion, and you would have thought after all the hulabaloo of turning her body into a makeshift-him... something more would have happened.

In fact, many, many things were just left in the air or dropped entirely after being the *plot device for the moment*.
I agree with everything you said. It felt like the writers knew that even though series was disappointing, they might as well try to make the end entertaining.
Old 2012-06-24, 21:28   Link #167
sky black swordman

Great episode but I feel there a few unresolved issues with Kagura and Zessica.

But on the plus side I got to see what Mikono looks like with her hair down .
She looks better like that.
Well that opinion.

Who else thinks she looks better with hair like that?
Old 2012-06-24, 21:30   Link #168
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleenexGhost View Post
I agree with everything you said. It felt like the writers knew that even though series was disappointing, they might as well try to make the end entertaining.
I want to think of it that way but the fallout on the characters and the writing in general hadn't come up until well past the halfway point of the show. This may well have been the ending we were always meant to get but they expected us to... care? I cared more about the side characters stepping up to the plate than the central romance that *magically* (and rather completely inexplicably) saved the world. But the way the most poorly handled characters literally changed on a dime between Ep. 25 and Ep. 26... I'm left wondering.
Old 2012-06-24, 21:34   Link #169
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
Some speculation in light of the ending:
Spoiler for Zessica a bad girl?:
Zessica's power doesn't work like that. It's mostly bending and twisting things not tk. That was a typical Mikono is so helpless moe scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky black swordman View Post
But on the plus side I got to see what Mikono looks like with her hair down .
She looks better like that.
Well that opinion.

Who else thinks she looks better with hair like that?
I must be the only one who prefers her hair tied up. With her hair down, she looks too generic.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2012-06-24, 21:38   Link #170
miketyson

Vena: I wonder how long it'll be before people start spouting the theory that once the first volume sales data started to come in they abandoned the "deconstruction"/"troll" ending they had planned for this ending...for reasons we'll never know? Something analogous to the fan theory that they made a last-minute decision to remove a definitive romantic end to Frontier's triangle in order to maintain interest in the movies?

Not that I believe it, and not that it's even exactly analogous, but just saying...seems like a fan theory people could get behind, maybe.

I'm sticking to the theory that "no one involved at the directorial / senior-planning level even really cared that much, so different chunks reflect the different involved authors'/storyboarders'/etc. biases without a unifying vision to curtail that editorializing".

Thess: I know later on it doesn't work like that. It's just that, at that point, her power was a bit vague, and in some of the earlier episodes, Zessica's written almost to a T to be the girl whose love leads her to a bad place (all those shots of her with darkened eyes, all those shots of her overlooking the happy quasi-couple and simmering). So I'm just speculating there was some conceptual drift in terms of Zessica's role in the story that lead it to become the mess it wound up being, and if so if she started out as conceived with an arc more along those lines....which mostly, but not entirely, got abandoned (or at least was done poorly enough to be unrecognizable as such)...and probably wouldn't work that well if they'd stuck to it.

Last edited by miketyson; 2012-06-24 at 21:42. Reason: response to Thess
Old 2012-06-24, 21:48   Link #171
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Vena: I wonder how long it'll be before people start spouting the theory that once the first volume sales data started to come in they abandoned the "deconstruction"/"troll" ending they had planned for this ending...for reasons we'll never know? Something analogous to the fan theory that they made a last-minute decision to remove a definitive romantic end to Frontier's triangle in order to maintain interest in the movies?

Not that I believe it, and not that it's even exactly analogous, but just saying...seems like a fan theory people could get behind, maybe.

I'm sticking to the theory that "no one involved at the directorial / senior-planning level even really cared that much, so different chunks reflect the different involved authors'/storyboarders'/etc. biases without a unifying vision to curtail that editorializing".
The conspiracies are a bit silly.

I honestly think that they were simply inept. All of them. When the creative mind behind the show (Kawamori) has to come out and explain to you that many people have misconstrued his main heroine, something is amiss somewhere in production. Either your writers are incompetent or the creative mind is an idiot, or both. They threw in whatever they thought was *cool* and *poignant* never wondering how the pieces came together, like throwing lego blocks at a pile of lego blocks and expecting a building to form.

Just look at Mykage's defeat: a heart. That's all it took. Amata just had to shout and Kagura needed to be some other person all of a sudden, and bam! Mykage has been defeated by a heart (Fudo did nothing). All of the world's problems? Robot tears. Why couldn't the robot cry in Genesis and have this mess never occur? Who the hell knows. They introduced thing that were *cool* but that make no sense in the grander continuity.

And Mikono? I remember when her being a person and making decisions was important. I also remember when Jin was alive and Yunoha wasn't a broken record. Somewhere along the way, though, Jin died and so did the show. And, in the end, I have no explanation as to why Mikono set out on her journey in Ep. 19 without confessing aside from because the ending wouldn't have been as magical. Its onerous, in retrospect, how they tell you *here it is* but prevent the characters from doing anything, making the characters look worse for the sake of some carebear attack in the last episode.
Old 2012-06-24, 21:56   Link #172
mayumi

Hmm care bare stare? aquarion crying was hilarious as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHjd9oq4Am4
Old 2012-06-24, 21:59   Link #173
Zuul

Another complain : horrible sexism. Horrible.

Mikono didn't even made a decision, she was just a fucking prize for the MC to claim. What about her feelings ? No one gives a shit because it's not important : "she's just a girl" (ditto Amata is episode 1).

Bleh.

And of course she has to be made a completetelly useless DID to the very end.
Old 2012-06-24, 22:07   Link #174
miketyson

Vena: I find fan theories interesting insofar as the ones that become popular tend to encapsulate interesting aspects of audience reaction to a production that typically can't be expressed much more concisely than as, well, silly fan theories without much grounding in reality. Not a big advocator or believer in them personally, but as a fan of all kinds of folklore I find them interesting.

If you really want to start a fan theory:
Spoiler for Just pointing this out...:

Moving on: Mykage's "defeat" is actually one of the few moments that seemed perfectly right to me...a villain like that can't really be "beaten" so much as "humiliated" or "forced to lose dignity", and that defeat delivered on that tactic in spades. The whole sequence just makes me laugh so much. I don't mind stuff like robot tears healing the planets because by the time you have planets colliding and breaking apart it's going to be some kind of magic ending anyways, and robot tears are at least goofy enough to make me chuckle at the absurdity of it all.

And Kawamori's interview? Based on what he had to say and how things wound up turning out, I can only conclude that the man either didn't care, isn't all there anymore, or is someone like Lucas (someone whose good instincts are drowned out by his bad instincts unless he's kept on a tight leash, which he hasn't been for awhile...).

And yeah, Mikono in the finale? I stick with the "each writer / story-boarder had a pretty free hand to put their own spin on the episodes they worked on as long as they hit the key plot points the big outline required. Wasn't this another Okada episode? It sure felt like it, because whenever she's writing she goes out of her way to deprive Mikono of agency, usefulness, and all that...and there's no one who cares enough to stop her, apparently, or even keep it consistent from week to week.

Last edited by miketyson; 2012-06-24 at 22:17. Reason: one extra thought
Old 2012-06-24, 22:11   Link #175
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
I want to think of it that way but the fallout on the characters and the writing in general hadn't come up until well past the halfway point of the show. This may well have been the ending we were always meant to get but they expected us to... care? I cared more about the side characters stepping up to the plate than the central romance that *magically* (and rather completely inexplicably) saved the world. But the way the most poorly handled characters literally changed on a dime between Ep. 25 and Ep. 26... I'm left wondering.
Same here. The ending was looked pretty and the action was good but I just didn't care about Amata saving Mikono. The whole victory through the power of love thing was cheesy to say the least. The sudden changes that Kagura and Zessica experienced reek of bad writing. In the end it's a pretty, production value wise, ending and that's it.
Old 2012-06-24, 22:12   Link #176
miketyson

mayumi: somehow that's incredibly creepy.
Old 2012-06-24, 22:15   Link #177
Zuul

Quote:
Vena: I find fan theories interesting insofar as the ones that become popular tend to encapsulate interesting aspects of audience reaction to a production that typically can't be expressed much more concisely than as, well, silly fan theories without much grounding in reality. Not a big advocator or believer in them personally, but as a fan of all kinds of folklore I find them interesting.

If you really want to start a fan theory:
Spoiler for Just pointing this out...:

Moving on: Mykage's "defeat" is actually one of the few moments that seemed perfectly right to me...a villain like that can't really be "beaten" so much as "humiliated" or "forced to lose dignity", and that defeat delivered on that tactic in spades. The whole sequence just makes me laugh so much. I don't mind stuff like robot tears healing the planets because by the time you have planets colliding and breaking apart it's going to be some kind of magic ending anyways, and robot tears are at least goofy enough to make me chuckle at the absurdity of it all.

And Kawamori's interview? Based on what he had to say and how things wound up turning out, I can only conclude that the man either didn't care, isn't all there anymore, or is someone like Lucas (someone whose good instincts are drowned out by his bad instincts unless he's kept on a tight leash, which he hasn't been for awhile...).

And yeah, Mikono in the finale? I stick with the "each writer / story-boarder had a pretty free hand to put their own spin on the episodes they worked on as long as they hit the key plot points the big outline required. Wasn't this another Okada episode? It sure felt like it, because whenever she's writing she goes out of her way to deprive Mikono of agency, usefulness, and all that...and there's no one who cares enough to stop her, apparently, or even keep it consistent from week to week.
As some say Fudou was Kawamori's self insert, one can assume than Mykage and his obvious distate for Mikono is Okada's.
Old 2012-06-24, 22:20   Link #178
Amata Sora

That was beautiful :’)
finally a good Aquarion ending
NOW! For the OVA
*realizes that there is no longer anything to watch*
anyone have any suggestions???
And did that trailer at the end look like an Aquarion movie to you?
PLEASE NO MOVIE
(unless its another 12,000 yrs into the future of 24,000 yrs into the past)
AND
by good I meant only one death
NEW RECORD AQ
Hey, does anyone know if the light novel/manga has a alternate ending?

Last edited by Amata Sora; 2012-06-24 at 22:38.
Old 2012-06-24, 22:36   Link #179
Amata Sora

So now Evol and Solar/Ancient are one....
MAKING IT AQUARION LOVE XD
Old 2012-06-24, 23:18   Link #180
bakAnki
あやせたんの剣

Watched the RAW. As I said, since I'm a sucker for happy ending, this end is really nice, I like it. Ancient's Buddha palms, Crea joins the fight, Geparda, 4 original casts cameo, Donar and Suomi gets together (I wonder what Suomi whispered to him ), Zessica's back to her bright personality, Kagura's helping (though yeah, why the sudden change? o.O), Zessica and Kagura interaction, Andy & Mix finally together (granted it's not really mixed gattai for Andy but he finally did it with Mix; and her big bang is back too, I assume it's the miracle of LOVE's tears too? ), and of course the main pair finally together, plus it's kinda happy end for Mykage too since he finally finds his warmth inside Fudonius's body...... and Bag-tan without her bag!

I'll just take it that Zessica's sad face on the group photo is because she was worry Amata and Mikono haven't back yet, since when she saw LOVE with them are back she's smiling again XP

So despite all the WTF-ness and its flaws, EVOL still manages to entertain me. Probably won't rewatch it anytime soon but at the very least, I'll keep listen to Kimi no Shinwa and Eve no Danpen

By the way I always laugh everytime Amata shouts "MIKONO-SAAAAN" this episode XD At least Mikono respond with her "AMATA-KUUUN", and Mykage joins the fun with "Apollonius, Apollonius, Apollonius, APOLLONIUUUUUUS" too