AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Little Busters

Notices

View Poll Results: Little Busters ~Refrain~ - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 38 71.70%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 8 15.09%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 6 11.32%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 1.89%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-12-14, 20:52   Link #21
BloodyKitty
Raindrop Melancholy

A great compilation of all hints and foreshadowing for the Secret of the World in both seasons, with explanation. Read it to see how many things you might have missed.

I do have something to say about this adaptation, but judging from the overall reactions to the recent episodes, I will hold off my thoughts until the end, so nothing hurts.
The fact that you hate
The fact that you scream
The fact that you suffer
The fact that you mourn
The fact that you despair
Or the fact that you come to a resolution

Cannot prove that you are right.
~Everybody Has the Right to Make Mistakes~ - Quoted from Kino's Journey Vol. 12
Old 2013-12-14, 23:00   Link #22
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

egh... Keys... why you are so cruel???
why should you separated them???

too much feels... and bromance as well
I think Riki only saying he's in love with Rin once.... once to Masato... and lastly countless times to Kyousuke

aaahhh too much tears... damn
and Rin still clueless
Old 2013-12-14, 23:14   Link #23
Crashmaking Zoomatic
Umu.

Is something wrong with me if I didn't bawl? I mean, I usually have over all of the Key's 'big scenes', and while LB isn't really as sad as most of them in the first place, when I played this scene in the VN, it managed to get to me once Kengo broke down. But even then, it wasn't -too- bad, and I quickly regained composure after Kyousuke finished up his speech. For someone who's always been super emotional, it feels weird to barely have even wet eyes in the anime version..maybe I've just grown a really tough skin...

Still great episode, though!
Old 2013-12-14, 23:58   Link #24
MartianMage

I didn’t like how Rin was almost irrelevant this episode. Like she almost never spoke for herself and she just did what she was told to do…
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
Old 2013-12-15, 00:10   Link #25
BloodyKitty
Raindrop Melancholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianMage View Post
I didn’t like how Rin was almost irrelevant this episode. Like she almost never spoke for herself and she just did what she was told to do…
To be honest, Rin always seems dull to me compared to the other characters, but I admit she does have good development overall the 2 seasons. That's why her inability to do anything this episode just kind of make me upset. Masato and Kengo are two close childhood friends to her, her reactions should be more extreme than that.
The fact that you hate
The fact that you scream
The fact that you suffer
The fact that you mourn

Old 2013-12-15, 01:11   Link #26
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashmaking Zoomatic View Post
Is something wrong with me if I didn't bawl? I mean, I usually have over all of the Key's 'big scenes', and while LB isn't really as sad as most of them in the first place, when I played this scene in the VN, it managed to get to me once Kengo broke down. But even then, it wasn't -too- bad, and I quickly regained composure after Kyousuke finished up his speech. For someone who's always been super emotional, it feels weird to barely have even wet eyes in the anime version..maybe I've just grown a really tough skin...

This episode never made me cry either. Nonetheless, it was a very good climatic episode for the story it was telling. On the whole, it handled the emotions of the characters very well. Kyousuke's big moment near the end was definitely a great one in that regard.

The thing with this climax, as some of us have pointed out in recent weeks, is that it was telegraphed and heavily foreshadowed. And so I was very mentally prepared for it. That makes it less likely that I'm going to be moved to tears.

Another factor is that, even by Key's standards, this is very supernatural. The sadder moments in Clannad, and some of the sadder moments in Kanon, felt a bit more like very sad times you could conceivably encounter in the real world, so perhaps they hit home a bit harder for me.

I suspect what might make me cry is next episode. I'm thinking we're going to see Riki and Rin in the real world, trying to cope with their great loss. Now that might hit home for me, because that sort of sad tragedy is something you can find in the real world.

Still, this episode was expertly executed and hit all the right emotional notes. With one possible exception - That being Rin. I do get the criticisms that MartianMage and BloodyKitty are making about how her character was handled here.

I suspect this is largely a medium-based perspective issue. With most VNs, you take on the role of a particular character, and see everything through his or her eyes. Based on the anime, LB! appears to be no exception, with Riki being this character. So interactions between two other characters in the VN can get short-changed a bit. And perhaps that's what we're seeing reflected here in this anime.
Old 2013-12-15, 01:23   Link #27
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Now that the episode is over and they didn't reveal it...
Why was Kyousuke on the same bus as them, while being in another grade oO?

As for Rin...

Rin aquired a new title - Total obliviousness

Going from the next episode title and Clannad next episode will probably bring forth the happy end.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
Old 2013-12-15, 01:30   Link #28
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
I believe it'll be explained next episode...not sure.
But if not, it was in the VN so a VN player will likely explain it then.
Old 2013-12-15, 01:30   Link #29
BloodyKitty
Raindrop Melancholy

Actually there has been changes to some characters' actions that was done to go well with the anime (like Kud's reaction to Kanata in the first season, or Kurugaya's ending). If they do have that good attention to details to add and modify scenes to make the anime work, then I think they could have done it here with Rin. A bit of a pity.
The fact that you hate
The fact that you scream
The fact that you suffer
The fact that you mourn

Old 2013-12-15, 01:58   Link #30
Magicflier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
I believe it'll be explained next episode...not sure.
But if not, it was in the VN so a VN player will likely explain it then.
It's in the visual novel, but it's very likely it'll be revealed in the last episode. It'll also tell you about why Haruka was together with them in the bus as well, despite being from another class. You can easily guess Haruka's reason why she escaped her own class though... Rewatch the first season if you don't remember.
Old 2013-12-15, 02:01   Link #31
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Quote:

Same here, it was just never to Kanon or Clannad standards, those sad scenes on those shows wanted to make me cry, but no this show. I guess it's just as the other poster said, it's just too supernatural which is harder to relate. It was still a great episode.

So we will see the real world on the next episode and perhaps the actual crash scene?
Old 2013-12-15, 03:35   Link #32
Narzia
┐(-。ー')┌

This reminds me, can we expect an actual explanation for the Unlimited Masato Works scene at this point in time or did the anime completely gloss over it?
Because that's one of the few things I actually can't make sense of.
Old 2013-12-15, 03:42   Link #33
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narzia View Post
This reminds me, can we expect an actual explanation for the Unlimited Masato Works scene at this point in time or did the anime completely gloss over it?
The anime kind of glossed over it, but I'll explain in spoiler tag just in case (It really isn't a spoiler).

Spoiler:
Old 2013-12-15, 04:55   Link #34
Magicflier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narzia View Post
Please read the compilation that BloodyKitty linked from above here, and please share it to others who keep asking the same questions. It would be appreciated:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyKitty View Post
A great compilation of all hints and foreshadowing for the Secret of the World in both seasons, with explanation. Read it to see how many things you might have missed.
Old 2013-12-15, 08:10   Link #35
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

Quote:

Surprisingly, I was the other way around. Key drama™ scenes in Air, Kanon and Clannad never got a reaction out of me. I didn't cry in Little Busters either, but after going through Refrain I felt genuinely sad for these guys.

True, there's a lot of Key magic™ in LB, way more than usual, but what got me was the fact that we were dealing with a group of childhood friends (the original little busters, I couldn't care less for the girls ) that had to come to terms with their "fun days" being over and having to say their goodbyes instead of the typical heroine you met a couple weeks/months ago and happens to have a tragic backstory.
Old 2013-12-15, 09:07   Link #36
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Faith View Post
Surprisingly, I was the other way around. Key drama™ scenes in Air, Kanon and Clannad never got a reaction out of me. I didn't cry in Little Busters either, but after going through Refrain I felt genuinely sad for these guys.

True, there's a lot of Key magic™ in LB, way more than usual, but what got me was the fact that we were dealing with a group of childhood friends (the original little busters, I couldn't care less for the girls ) that had to come to terms with their "fun days" being over and having to say their goodbyes instead of the typical heroine you met a couple weeks/months ago and happens to have a tragic backstory.
I'm pretty much in this camp. I love Kanon, but you can really tell which routes were Maeda (Makoto especially) and it was the subtler Hisaya stuff that really got to me. Clannad just generally had too many push-button "cry now" moments to be really affecting.

LB, now... I know it's mostly a Maeda composition but there'a an innocence and purity to it that makes it far more powerful than Clannad. It feels as if these tears are much more well-earned, and the themes of the story - for all the magical realism - are incredibly universal.
Old 2013-12-15, 09:50   Link #37
elior

it just my guess but i have a feeling rin will discover everything in the next episode becouse of the episode title
Old 2013-12-15, 10:58   Link #38
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Faith View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post

LB, now... I know it's mostly a Maeda composition but there'a an innocence and purity to it that makes it far more powerful than Clannad. It feels as if these tears are much more well-earned, and the themes of the story - for all the magical realism - are incredibly universal.

I understand and respect that you're both trying to convey why you found this episode so effective, but still, some of the criticisms being made here aren't ones that I think are fair or accurate to make of Clannad (Kanon, maybe).

Spoiler for Clannad comparisons:
Old 2013-12-15, 11:38   Link #39
Crashmaking Zoomatic
Umu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I understand and respect that you're both trying to convey why you found this episode so effective, but still, some of the criticisms being made here aren't ones that I think are fair or accurate to make of Clannad (Kanon, maybe).

Spoiler for Clannad:

That aside, Little Busters is more of a celebration of life than anything else, to me, and even though these characters all have their lives tragically cut short, their fulfillment is satisfying. The regret's hit hard, but also as Triple said, everything's been pretty telegraphed up to this point, so that helps. But as a climax, yes, it was great, and I can't look forward to the last two episodes! It might still squeeze tears out of me yet!

Last edited by Pellissier; 2013-12-15 at 13:00. Reason: please keep the Clannad comparisons in spoiler tags
Old 2013-12-15, 11:49   Link #40
BloodyKitty
Raindrop Melancholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

Spoiler for some things related to Clannad:

Regarding LB, I do agree at the places this season does well, but there are things that keep me from enjoying it to the fullest feelings like others. I can't pinpoint exactly what bothers me, but I frankly admit through previous I don't think the characters engaged me enough for me to care about them like I did with other Key works, except for Kyousuke this season at least.
The fact that you hate
The fact that you scream
The fact that you suffer
The fact that you mourn

Last edited by BloodyKitty; 2013-12-15 at 12:01.
Closed Thread