AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-12-28, 19:23   Link #161
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Currently I vote for Nisemonogatari, having watch the first season which was so entertaining then comparing it to the second season, it clearly did not live up to it predecessor.

Sword Art Online is another one. Loved the Light Novel, the anime was not a bad job nor was it decent. Lets say average, considering its one of the top Light Novels in Japan and won awards, I say it should have been a lot better.

Aquarian EVOL is my last nomination, this sequel shouldn't have existed. Too many inconsistency in both story and character. In actual fact, the characters were the most disappointing parts.

By the way, this is off topic but should we create the best anime of 2012 thread by now since we just discuss the most disappointing?
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-29, 17:06   Link #162
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
By the way, this is off topic but should we create the best anime of 2012 thread by now since we just discuss the most disappointing?
There is the "Animesuki's Choice awards" thing ran by some members that goes up sometime soon I believe which intends to cover that across genres.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-29, 17:52   Link #163
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

@NK_500: Interesting idea but it could get out from my hands. While I don't receive any warnings from the mods but this thread already raised their eyebrows due to flame-bait stuffs going on but fortunately no incidents happen so far. However I still have ideas to make this "awards" more interesting in the future. All I need to do now is wait.

Last update and hurry up the deadline is tomorrow's night. Any votes that after 11:59 PM, 31st December will not going to be added to the list although it still open for discussions and debates but please don't push it too far.

Short last updates:

Robotic;Notes: 2
Area no Kishi: 1
Eureka Seven AO: 15
Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!: 1
Sword Art Online: 25
Nisemonogatari: 9
Muv Luv Alternative Total Eclipse: 2
HnG: Can't Take My Eyes Off You: 9
Little Busters: 8
Aquarian EVOL: 2

It is pretty obvious that we already know the "winner" is. However the "race" for 2nd, 3rd and 4th is getting tougher.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-29, 18:13   Link #164
Lightning_Wing

I vote for Sword Art Online. It was way hyped before hand, and was pretty good until it fell apart by the second arc, ALO and developed all the melodrama of Alfheim.
Old 2012-12-29, 23:28   Link #165
Elestia

SAO: Too much anime tropes revolving around pandering to the fans, with little actually substance to the world building material. The first season was passable enough, although it was plagued with some terribly boring episodes with serious pacing issues. The final nail in the coffin was the introduction of the ALFheim Online arc and it could be summed up into three words: Suguha and Sugou.

Another: Excellent start, but the final episode pushed the serious and somber tone of the show into something out of a Scary Movie film.

BRS: Was always a big fan of Huke's BRS franchise, with the astounding figure pieces produced by Good Smile, hearing about the original OVA to test as a pilot episode made me really hyped over how they were going to handle it. Overall the OVA was good, if not confusing and left a lot to be desired in the short 45 minute run.

The TV series had astounding choreographed fights that did not hold back any punches. However, the biggest problem came at the expense of the writing and story. Yomi, Saya, and Kagari were probably the biggest disappointments with laughable characterizations and mind boggling behaviors. The amount of Higurashi faces injected into the show with its "colorful" cast of characters made the entire shows unbelievable hard to to watch and take seriously. The show could have probably done better had they not borrowed so many elements from the OVA.

Last edited by Elestia; 2012-12-29 at 23:40.
Elestia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 13:40   Link #166
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
I made a thread about pleasant anime surprises in 2012 to balance the negativity. (I didn't say "best", because I didn't want it to be a competition. Instead, I wanted people to tell others what shows weren't quite what they expected, so that others get the chance to pick up shows they ignored because of things like marketing.)

Maybe next year a single thread: anime surprises, the good and the bad?
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 13:55   Link #167
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I think it'd be best to avoid list threads, they're already the plague of this subforum. They don't actually generate much conversation.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 17:56   Link #168
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

I could possibly be wrong, but isn't the disappointment over Sword Art Online caused by the very high expectations of the LN readers? In other places SAO is praised as the greatest anime of the year...
Old 2012-12-30, 18:25   Link #169
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
I could possibly be wrong, but isn't the disappointment over Sword Art Online caused by the very high expectations of the LN readers? In other places SAO is praised as the greatest anime of the year...
That's not the impression I get from reading the episode threads on animesuki. It seems the novel readers are generally happy with the show and get annoyed at people who don't like it. I'm not really an avid thread reader over there, so I might be wrong, but I don't hear people calling it a "crappy adaption". Most seem to be happy with it. The disappointment seems to come from people who (a) expected an exploration of SF ideas and got a gamer fantasy instead, or (b) people who liked the first ark, but not the second.

Don't take my word for it, though. Personally, I never expected much from it and watched it because it looks and sounds pretty (Yuki Kajiura soundtrack is almost an auto-watch for me), and it delivered on that count.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 20:15   Link #170
NK_500
Disabled By Request

SAO "wins". There's no doubt about it. If Guilty Crown was shown three months later than it should(Winter 2012) and I think it could have been "crowned" in this thread but (un)fortunately for it it was shown in Autumn 2011 which is escaped from this thread. It just got lucky.
NK_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 20:25   Link #171
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
That's not the impression I get from reading the episode threads on animesuki. It seems the novel readers are generally happy with the show and get annoyed at people who don't like it. I'm not really an avid thread reader over there, so I might be wrong, but I don't hear people calling it a "crappy adaption". Most seem to be happy with it. The disappointment seems to come from people who (a) expected an exploration of SF ideas and got a gamer fantasy instead, or (b) people who liked the first ark, but not the second.
That's basically it, yeah.

What drew me to SAO (aside from its sheer popularity) was its premise - A VR MMO that players get locked inside and can die for real within.

That's a genuinely unique and fascinating premise. It's a great idea.

Unfortunately, though, SAO is not really about exploring that great idea (though it does develop it a little bit in the first arc, at least, which is a big part of the reason why I generally liked the first arc).
Old 2012-12-30, 23:38   Link #172
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I think it'd be best to avoid list threads, they're already the plague of this subforum. They don't actually generate much conversation.
Well, at the same time, next year I wouldn't mind if we could think of some way to consolidate the threads or do it better. There's a "most disappointing", "most surprising", "Best OP/ED", and then there'll be the "Choice Awards"... from my point of view, it's already too many threads that sort of do revolve around lists anyway (and there might have been more). I'm not really sure how to make it better, but I'd prefer if we can come up with some way of consolidating it somehow. (It's either that or, maybe, you create a "2013 Year in Review" sub-forum and just have everything grouped together there? But on the other hand, that's making it ever worse...)

(I have to admit that I generally have a dislike for popularity contests of all kinds, so trying to turn this into some sort of "vote" to see what show's the "number one most disappointing" really doesn't appeal to me at all. It really doesn't convey much of value because the reasons something is disappointing are more important than the count. The count itself is mostly a function of the popularity or hype; the more people tried anything, the more people will (probably) be disappointed by it. See also the endless list posts on a certain NSFW anime-themed blog where all the lists are almost always the same, with most-hyped shows at the top of both favourites and most-hated.)

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-12-31 at 01:35.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-31, 01:13   Link #173
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
To be a reminder... the thread maker ask for "THE MOST DISAPPOINTING ANIME OF 2012". Why give 2-3 animes when he just ask the most, and that's one anime only.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-31, 01:39   Link #174
Eragon
Still Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
That's basically it, yeah.

What drew me to SAO (aside from its sheer popularity) was its premise - A VR MMO that players get locked inside and can die for real within.

That's a genuinely unique and fascinating premise. It's a great idea.

Unfortunately, though, SAO is not really about exploring that great idea (though it does develop it a little bit in the first arc, at least, which is a big part of the reason why I generally liked the first arc).
If I remember correctly, there was a cartoon called Jonny Quest which had this premise.

Back to the topic at hand, lately I have all but stopped watching new shows. From the few shows I watched this year, the most disappointing were

Another - If I wanted to see limbs flying about I would have watched 'Wrong Turn'. Why do shows insist on butchering a good premise? *sigh*

Hayate S3(too lazy to type) - If I ever get my hands on the one who made the new character designs, he is in a world of pain. Wtf? Did they keep their heads at home before coming to work? The two things that worked for Hayate(S1 & S2) was its humor and the narration. Guess what they do to both of these things?
Old 2012-12-31, 02:03   Link #175
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
If I remember correctly, there was a cartoon called Jonny Quest which had this premise.
That's not really the same thing. MMOs, at least of the WoW type, didn't even exist back when Johnny Quest aired.

I'm not sure why people have such a hard time accepting that, yes, SAO had an unique premise. No, Dot Hack isn't the same because Dot Hack didn't have the premise of thousands of people all getting locked inside of a VR MMO.
Old 2012-12-31, 02:11   Link #176
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
I think it was closer to Jumanji than SAO.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-31, 02:14   Link #177
Eragon
Still Alive

Hey hey, I haven't even seen SAO nor .//Hack, I just said that passing.

Last edited by Eragon; 2012-12-31 at 02:21. Reason: zzzzz, grammar
Eragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-31, 02:19   Link #178
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
No, Dot Hack isn't the same because Dot Hack didn't have the premise of thousands of people all getting locked inside of a VR MMO.
I find .hack//sign's premise of a single user locked inside of a MMO for mysterious reasons a whole lot more interesting than everyone being locked in by the game creator.
Old 2012-12-31, 11:43   Link #179
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

I don't know about North America and Europe but it already January 1st here(Southeast Asia). As I promised, I decided to end the voting right now. No more votes after this post.

PS: All pictures are taken from Myanimelist.

Now time to decided the "winner" of this "award" although it's already decided even it ends. And the LOSER is....

Sword Art Online

Yes and that is chosen by Animesuki's users with 27 votes.

Another

Got second place with 18 votes, 9 votes less than SAO.

Eureka Seven AO

Third place with 15 votes. Probably the most intense "race" for this position along with Another.

Forth place is shared with Hayate no Gotoku! Can't Take My Eyes Off You and Arcana Famiglia with 10 votes each.

From my observation, I already know Sword Art Online will top this thread but personally I found how high Another was voted in this thread also more interesting as it rated 8.15 in MAL. I know I shouldn't compare this site with another(no pun intended) but in comparison to SAO its hatedom is very small(I've yet to find a genuine Another hater).

I also surprised that nobody seems to vote for Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon II and Oda Nobuna no Yabou. Either nobody expect them to be good before it was aired or everyone seems to satisfied with it.

By the way thanks to moderators to keep this thread clean from flames and such but I also acknowledged this thread is a flame-bait to begin with. Unless there's a "most disappointing" nomination in annual Animesuki's Choice Awards. I may make a similar thread in the end of 2013 and don't worry, I'm not following NK_500's suggestion even though I myself found interesting. I think it should stick to one-round format just like this one. Thanks everyone for voting. See you again in December 2013 as long as moderators allow it.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-31, 13:03   Link #180
justsomeguy

@Kameruka
Can you please change the HnG pic to something from the third season (preferably, something that showcases Manglobe's sucky art)? Posting a pic from when the show was good and in the hands of a better studio seems a bit misleading.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote