AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-22, 03:01   Link #1481
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
lol hardcore.... that's really hardcore.
Old 2010-05-22, 04:46   Link #1482
baltakatei

I also just got back from the US premier. It was really amazing to see the movie with other Haruhi fans. We really could collectively appreciate the nuances of each scene. Plus there was a ton of free stuff I didn't expect to get. Free novel, poster, armband... I think the amount of cash I paid in transport and tickets to the movie was worth the amount of stuff I got.

A few things that I'd like to point out seeing the movie in a real theater vs. seeing it via the eye-cancer-inducing camrip was the sheer quality of the animation. There were various scenes that utilized 3D with what looked like hand-drawn forms. 3D pans, 3D camera displacement curves... I could feel the emotion of relief about to boil over during the final climax.

That's about all the non-spoiler things I can say.

Anyway, if you live within 3 hours of the theater that's showing Haruhi (for only a week, I believe), see it! The sub quality was actually very good. It's on par with the a.f.k. subs, even going as far as to insert relevant phrases such as "kit-'n-kaboodle" in just the right spots.
Old 2010-05-22, 04:59   Link #1483
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltakatei View Post
I also just got back from the US premier. It was really amazing to see the movie with other Haruhi fans. We really could collectively appreciate the nuances of each scene. Plus there was a ton of free stuff I didn't expect to get. Free novel, poster, armband... I think the amount of cash I paid in transport and tickets to the movie was worth the amount of stuff I got.

A few things that I'd like to point out seeing the movie in a real theater vs. seeing it via the eye-cancer-inducing camrip was the sheer quality of the animation. There were various scenes that utilized 3D with what looked like hand-drawn forms. 3D pans, 3D camera displacement curves... I could feel the emotion of relief about to boil over during the final climax.

That's about all the non-spoiler things I can say.

Anyway, if you live within 3 hours of the theater that's showing Haruhi (for only a week, I believe), see it! The sub quality was actually very good. It's on par with the a.f.k. subs, even going as far as to insert relevant phrases such as "kit-'n-kaboodle" in just the right spots.
Last day is June 5th, so that's a little more than two weeks.
Old 2010-05-22, 10:43   Link #1484
sonicspin
キョン子主義
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to sonicspin
I'll be headed to the 12:40 showing today. I'm the short Asian guy with the black jacket and glasses, if anyone cares.
Old 2010-05-23, 17:45   Link #1485
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
So I ran into the guy from 2ch again yesterday after he finished number 101 with the noon showing (I was at the 3:50 and saw him as he came out). Very nice guy. I ended up giving him my paperback copy of Sigh I had brought (to likely compliment his paperback Melancholy) and in return he let me choose from all of his film bookmarks.

Edit: Here's the best picture I can take.
Spoiler:

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2010-05-23 at 20:17.
Old 2010-05-23, 21:39   Link #1486
bayoab

From 2ch: "Report from the persons who went to see Haruhi in San Fran."(Japanese only)

tm;cr summary: You guys laugh in very odd spots and were apparently commenting on the movie as opposed to the typical dead silence of a film.

Last edited by bayoab; 2010-05-23 at 22:20.
Old 2010-05-24, 00:19   Link #1487
sonicspin
キョン子主義
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to sonicspin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
So I ran into the guy from 2ch again yesterday after he finished number 101 with the noon showing (I was at the 3:50 and saw him as he came out).
Same showing as myself, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
From 2ch: "Report from the persons who went to see Haruhi in San Fran."(Japanese only)

tm;cr summary: You guys laugh in very odd spots and were apparently commenting on the movie as opposed to the typical dead silence of a film.
I've noticed that as well. Honestly, I kinda found it awkward that people were laughing during the Eva-esque scene, while I felt it to be epic in a serious fashion. Other stuff, I can understand well though.

He should have seen how it was like during the premier of the second TTGL film.
Old 2010-05-24, 00:26   Link #1488
Clarste
Human

American audiences are rude, duh. Especially in a fandom like this where people might assume that everyone's in on all their personal jokes, even if this is false. I was actually quite impressed by the silence in the camrip, but of course when I watched it in San Francisco you had people commenting and saying stupid things during the movie.
Old 2010-05-24, 03:43   Link #1489
prnoct90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
American audiences are rude, duh. Especially in a fandom like this where people might assume that everyone's in on all their personal jokes, even if this is false. I was actually quite impressed by the silence in the camrip, but of course when I watched it in San Francisco you had people commenting and saying stupid things during the movie.
Yah, when I went to see it in Tokyo, the whole theater was dead silent throughout the whole movie, and I don't think it's because they didn't like it either.
Old 2010-05-24, 05:45   Link #1490
Clarste
Human

The American fandom seems to think of audience participation as part of the "cinema experience". The logic being that half the reason to watch it in a theater as opposed to on DVD at home is that you're watching it in public. Thus, if you don't interact with the other random people then you're wasting the experience. Or something like that.

If you've ever stayed up for a midnight release of anything, you see a lot of this. Especially for particularly fan-oriented things. Haruhi is obviously no exception. The geekier the movie, the louder the audience. I think it's an American geek culture thing.
Old 2010-05-24, 06:02   Link #1491
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicspin View Post
I've noticed that as well. Honestly, I kinda found it awkward that people were laughing during the Eva-esque scene, while I felt it to be epic in a serious fashion. Other stuff, I can understand well though.
Rather odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicspin View Post
He should have seen how it was like during the premier of the second TTGL film.
Watching Gurren Lagann at Anime Expo last year wouldn't been half as fun for me if people weren't screaming their heads off. I expect more of the same this year.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnoct90 View Post
Yah, when I went to see it in Tokyo, the whole theater was dead silent throughout the whole movie, and I don't think it's because they didn't like it either.
It's a culture thing.

Quote:
The American fandom seems to think of audience participation as part of the "cinema experience". The logic being that half the reason to watch it in a theater as opposed to on DVD at home is that you're watching it in public. Thus, if you don't interact with the other random people then you're wasting the experience. Or something like that.

If you've ever stayed up for a midnight release of anything, you see a lot of this. Especially for particularly fan-oriented things. Haruhi is obviously no exception. The geekier the movie, the louder the audience. I think it's an American geek culture thing.
Wouldn't have it any other way.

Last edited by DJ_RockmanX; 2010-05-24 at 06:13.
Old 2010-05-24, 10:03   Link #1492
bayoab

Quote:

I realize that I basically stopped going to theaters but I've (thankfully) never experienced this during a movie in the US. There has got to be something more than "American fandom" that is at play here. I've always seen people sit quiet-ish without any words, beside the occasional whispering among themselves, even at the Fathom Events anime showings.

And it should be noted that Japan is not always dead silent. There were non-isolated complaints on 2ch on the first week it came out about rude behavior.
Old 2010-05-24, 10:16   Link #1493
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
I realize that I basically stopped going to theaters but I've (thankfully) never experienced this during a movie in the US. There has got to be something more than "American fandom" that is at play here. I've always seen people sit quiet-ish without any words, beside the occasional whispering among themselves, even at the Fathom Events anime showings.

And it should be noted that Japan is not always dead silent. There were non-isolated complaints on 2ch on the first week it came out about rude behavior.
You look into things too deeply. There's a difference between the rude behavior of people without courtesy in a regular movie theater, and a gathering of geeks having tons of fun. Generally speaking, people keep to themselves and don't say anything during movies. But when you're talking about special screening events and a strong fanbase, you can't expect fan enthusiasm not to show itself. Don't categorize it as rude behavior just because it looks the same.

Old 2010-05-24, 11:16   Link #1494
netvope
SOS-Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX View Post
You look into things too deeply. There's a difference between the rude behavior of people without courtesy in a regular movie theater, and a gathering of geeks having tons of fun. Generally speaking, people keep to themselves and don't say anything during movies. But when you're talking about special screening events and a strong fanbase, you can't expect fan enthusiasm not to show itself. Don't categorize it as rude behavior just because it looks the same.
I think I can understand your standpoint... However, if you consider that those who shows "fan enthusiasm" are enjoying themselves at the expense of the disturbance experienced by the others, enthusiasm becomes rude and inconsiderate. It's not just because it looks the same.

e.g. Dancing Hare Hare Yukai in Akihabara is acceptable because it doesn't disturb most people there; shouting and screaming during that Gurren Lagann premier is not - many (if not most) people go there for the movie and not for the screaming!

About the geometry of Viz Cinema: what do you think are the best seats to choose?

Last edited by netvope; 2010-05-24 at 11:26.
Old 2010-05-24, 11:33   Link #1495
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Quote:
Originally Posted by netvope View Post
I think I can understand your standpoint... However, if you consider that those who shows "fan enthusiasm" are enjoying themselves at the expense of the disturbance experienced by the others, enthusiasm becomes rude and inconsiderate. It's not just because it looks the same.

e.g. Dancing Hare Hare Yukai in Akihabara is acceptable because it doesn't disturb most people there; shouting and screaming during that Gurren Lagann premier is not - many (if not most) people go there for the movie and not for the screaming!
You lost me with this one. Flashmobs dancing in the streets is something that would generally be considered disturbing the peace. Yelling at the top of your lungs during the Gurren Lagann movie is something to be expected. For the record, whenever I go to these premieres, I'm completely expecting the crowd to be as rowdy as possible, without crossing the line of course.

Old 2010-05-24, 11:54   Link #1496
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by netvope View Post

About the geometry of Viz Cinema: what do you think are the best seats to choose?
Both times I went, there was laughter and gasps of shock when events happened. You couldn't not laugh at Kyon's sister's antics in this movie. Both times a certain line got the entire crowd roaring with laughter, but that was fun. At the premiere some people shouted out things, but overall it wasn't too bad and didn't take away too much from the movie in my opinion.

As for the theatre, the first row in the seats up one stair beside the entry-way is the best spot. You get an unobstructed view of subtitles without heads being in the way and you can rest your feet on the railing in front.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2010-05-24, 12:29   Link #1497
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
The Rocky Horror Picture Show being the uber example of this.

But, we did have Mystery Science Theater 3000 The Movie a while back too.
Old 2010-05-24, 13:12   Link #1498
bayoab

Quote:
You look into things too deeply. There's a difference between the rude behavior of people without courtesy in a regular movie theater, and a gathering of geeks having tons of fun.
People were commenting as if this had become the norm during anime(?) screenings. (Odd, I remember having this same conversation about another anime screening previously years ago.) I'd consider the Viz cinema to be a "regular" theater as opposed to say a con screening. Yet, even at con premiere screenings, I've rarely seen the behavior described in the 2ch thread.

Quote:
But when you're talking about special screening events and a strong fanbase, you can't expect fan enthusiasm not to show itself. Don't categorize it as rude behavior just because it looks the same.
This really depends on situation but I see no reason to expect the fan enthusiasm to show itself at one of these Haruhi screenings. I'm not trying to say people should just sit there in total silence but, <rant> and this really applies at cons, just because one is among fans does not suddenly make certain behaviors acceptable/not-rude. </rant>

The rude behavior comment was primarily in response to the "absolute silence" of the Japanese theaters and some of what was described on 2ch was things such as saying the lines quietly at the same time. (Like typically happens at Monty Python screenings.)

Quote:
Yelling at the top of your lungs during the Gurren Lagann movie is something to be expected.
This definitely requires more explanation of why this would be expected. Now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
The Rocky Horror Picture Show being the uber example of this.
something like Rocky Horror, this is expected.
Old 2010-05-24, 13:44   Link #1499
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

A complete difference in opinions then.

I consider these screenings at Viz to be no different from showing it at a con, and I advocate and engage in said "rude" behavior at screenings such as these. I go to these events to enjoy and be a part of the audience reactions, whether they be making smartass comments, cheering at epic moments, or yelling out the lines alongside the movie dialogue (in the case of Gurren Lagann). And given that there is enough noise to complain about, I believe it's safe to say that many others do the same.

If this was just another movie at my local movie theater, I would observe the proper etiquette and enjoy the movie quietly. You mentioned this happened in Japanese theaters, and I would not tolerate such behavior in those circumstances. But you're not going to find the same silence that you should expect at a regular movie in this case. Sorry if it comes across as inconsiderate and rude, but this is the experience that we're looking for at events such as this, even at the expense of those that just want to watch the movie in peace.

Let us hope that we never cross paths at a con screening.

Old 2010-05-24, 14:50   Link #1500
netvope
SOS-Dan

Quote:
A complete difference in opinions then.
Cultural difference, I guess
Closed Thread

Tags
science fiction, shounen