AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-05-28, 23:20   Link #41
FateAnomaly

It depends on the extend of the immortality.
Do you still age but don't die? Immortality without youth is pointless.
Do you not require basic requirements for life (air, water, food, sleep, heat, etc) or suffer the ill effects from the lack of it?
Are you still vulnerable to sickness and disease?
Are you killable or are you invulnerable or have super regeneration?

I imagine that a immortal will have changed perspective. Some may want to rule the world, some may want to benefit mankind and some may want to make a lot of money and employ a mansion full of cute maids.
I don't think boredom will be an issue as there will always be new things to do. (Until you outlive the rest of humanity)
Or since you have so much time try to perhaps discover why you have immortality and the workings behind it.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 00:27   Link #42
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Immortality would not be a curse if people learned to live in the present, not worry about the future nor the past, and above all not becoming attached to anything. After all, it is our attachments that brings us misery. Having an immortal human being who suffers from attachments to things would be hell indeed.

Since this society conditions us to link our happiness to the approval/disapproval of others, as well as being emotionally dependent on others, a normal human being would suffer a great a deal when he knows that anyone he is emotionally attached to will eventually pass away leaving him behind.

One great thing that could come from being immortal would be immense wisdom, again, provided the person learns to direct his attention to the present. Because enjoying the present leads us to be amazed by experiences that most people, except young kids, would find mundane. However, becoming a kid in spirit could take more than a 100 years to the average Joe.

Real happiness comes from peace within one's self. We mistake thrills and wants for happiness. A healthy person does not rely on anyone but himself in order to be happy.

Last edited by Sugetsu; 2012-05-29 at 00:44.
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 00:28   Link #43
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

One aspect that I find interesting is that you would finally have time to actually master all those hobbies and other interests you have. When you master one subject, start learning the next one. I don't see how one can possibly become bored with all that information and possible learning out there.

Endless "Jack of all trades, Master of all" Soul
Old 2012-05-29, 00:44   Link #44
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Learning is definitely the most interesting thing you can do forever.

You can never learn and know everything, not even an immortal can do that.

There will always be more things to do as you learn more about things.

An immortal is blessed with the ability to learn as much as he can.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 01:38   Link #45
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

so one would be fine being immortal if he/she happen to be a shut-in loner orphan who want to learn everything?
Old 2012-05-29, 02:11   Link #46
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

No problem with that.

Isaac Newton was a very anti social man, he hated people and always locked himself in his room to do his research. It was all by himself in his room that he came up with all the laws that made him the father of modern science. In fact contrary to popular belief, he may not even have sat under the apple tree because he hated the outdoors, he came up with gravity just by thinking and calculating in his own room.

Albert Einstein was alone and bored in his tiny room at the patent office he worked in. Besides the desk and the patents he's supposed to go through, he day dreams, or rather, conduct thought experiments while staring out the only window.

And exactly because he was very curious he asked himself the weirdest questions, such as what would happen if that guy cleaning the roof on the building were to fall? And what will happen if the person is falling while enclosed in an elevator that is falling forever? It is just like this, observing through the window thinking of a man falling from the roof and doing calculations by himself that he came up with his Special Theory of Relativity, won the Nobel Prize, and continued to be the greatest mind that ever existed.

And these scientists kept on learning because what they've discovered only created more questions. The more they learn, the more they want and need to know.

There are so many things you can do and ask even by yourself, even with nothing. What is nothing? Is there really nothing? All you need to do is ask and think.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 02:34   Link #47
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

C.A.'s points are basically what I think when talking about immortality too. As someone who's a fan of history in general, it's easy to see that our world has changed so much within the last 2000 years that someone living in 1 AD would experience the mother of all culture shocks if you took them to 2012 AD. So many cultures have fallen and risen, societal norms created, twisted and broken, technologies being developed... people who say we can ever get bored from living too long has not seen what we as a civilization has accomplished.

The world in itself, let alone the entire UNIVERSE has so much more to offer than all of us can ever hope to take in or achieve in our single 80-year lifespans. Immortality (which in this definition refers to long life) would allow one to partake of all that this reality can offer.

My perspective in life is somewhat balanced by what my life is like. Sure I normally coop up behind this PC as part of my daily job routine which can get boring. But occasionally, my family decides to go on roadtrips or even trips abroad to places we've never been to: Florida, Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong, Melbourne, Tokyo etc. Contrasting those travel adventures filled with dazzling sights and sounds and moments with my normally hum-drum daily life has taught me that this world alone has a hell of a lot of history, culture and society that one can experience. Experiences that one could not possibly partake in in full in the span of a single lifetime.

When I think what new and wonderful life experiences I could be missing by the mere act of dying, then it's obvious that I can never see Immortality as anything other than a blessing. All people see when they think of immortality are the negative points portrayed in TV and movie stories, and yet some of those stories also have a bright side to them that people seem to ignore: The immortal, should he/she undergo the realization, finds that his life is more enriched through his long life. It's easy to think that dying is the way out of all the misery in life (the main reason for suicides), but then you'll be missing out on all the good things in life that you can experience while you're alive.

Life is only boring if you let it.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 02:49   Link #48
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Immortality will help you manipulate the course of history if your wise and good enough.

You could also spent your time discovering new things, make your self a legend to be told

No doubts in everything that you can do cause no one even cause death can stop you.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 03:16   Link #49
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Immortality will help you manipulate the course of history if your wise and good enough.

You could also spent your time discovering new things, make your self a legend to be told

No doubts in everything that you can do cause no one even cause death can stop you.
not really in the modern world though, a immortal person should stay low profile or the gorverment may catch him and lock him up for experiment. He will never known to freedom again unless someone happen to nuke on the place where imprisioned him
Old 2012-05-29, 03:26   Link #50
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
not really in the modern world though, a immortal person should stay low profile or the gorverment may catch him and lock him up for experiment. He will never known to freedom again unless someone happen to nuke on the place where imprisioned him
....That's why I added wise as well.... it depends now how wise that person is in his actions.....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 04:56   Link #51
Ryuudou

You'd definitely get bored.
Ryuudou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 05:55   Link #52
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuudou View Post
i don't think a person who always desire knowledge can get bored, unless everthing that contain knowledge are destroyed that is .
Old 2012-05-29, 06:04   Link #53
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuudou View Post
Tell me, is there ever a time in the last 500 years when something new and exciting didn't happen? Is there a time ANYWHERE in human history when something new and exciting didn't happen?

How are you suppose to get bored if everything changes in 200 years? 250 years ago we have no cars and everything runs on steam. Do you have any idea how much the world changed, constantly, over the centuries?
Old 2012-05-29, 06:09   Link #54
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Ask Mokou, immortality sucks ass.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 06:17   Link #55
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Curious, since that leap of technology since the industrial revolution and all that, does it seems that things have slowed down quite a bit in the modern age?

Also, say if you were a soldier, wouldn't it after a while seem if one war or battle was the same as the next? War does seem to be when big leaps in technology happen after all.
Old 2012-05-29, 07:47   Link #56
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Curious, since that leap of technology since the industrial revolution and all that, does it seems that things have slowed down quite a bit in the modern age?

Also, say if you were a soldier, wouldn't it after a while seem if one war or battle was the same as the next? War does seem to be when big leaps in technology happen after all.
Since no one ever live to see tech advances of more than a century at a time, that's hardly going to happen. Wars do look very different, if you see beyond the explosions.

Tech seemed "slowed down" because if you look back in history, you look a decade at a time. In your life time you will only ever notice ten decades of tech jumps. So your frame of reference concerning your present and future is tiny; we would see maybe three or four technological leaps before we die. Compare to the "past", which is measured in centuries. It's just a compressive illusion. Tech is going forward all the time, but if you observe tech advances on a daily and weekly basis, of course it would look slow.
Old 2012-05-29, 08:21   Link #57
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
The level of technology is still increasing at an ever faster rate. Just look at the worldwide investments in R&D and the absolute number of scientists.

Some very visible areas like transportation have now reached a stage of refinement rather than leaps. The impact of information technology in the last two decades has been insane.

It's hard to predict where the next big jump in technology will be that will change our daily lives. Genetic engineering, nanotechnology, robotics, augmented reality, energy production, material science, who knows?

Last edited by Bri; 2012-05-29 at 08:39.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 08:30   Link #58
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

My first priority as an immortal would be self knowledge. To fully master my mind, body and emotions. I want to be able to use a 100% of brain and surpass the feats that shaolin monks accomplish. In other words, i would would want to become a super human of sorts. One that has full control over his entire being. A person who isnt emotionally dependant on others, a person who is at pwace with himself and has the spirit of a child; someone who will never get bored of life because he lives in the present and is able to enjoy every little thing.

Then after i am a master of myself and have evidently become a sage, then i would focus on gaining scientific knowledge. Being a master of myself i would exponentially imcrease my ability to absorb and analyze information. My ability to direct my attention to where i need it to would enable me to see things most human beings are too blimd to see. I would make amazing discoveries.

Know thy self, know the universe.

Am i alone in this line of thinking? Come on there's got to be some one else reading this thread who also believes that spiritual development would be paramount as an immortal being ? Otherwise your exsistance would be misserable.
Old 2012-05-29, 10:01   Link #59
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
My more immediate concern would be falling in a ditch and being stuck for eternity alone and in the dark. Hell, the likelihood of this happening only increases the longer you live.
...I'd eventually cave in to my curiosity and walk into the Marianas Trench if I had the capability of producing a lot of light and of course, still could get out

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I'm not sure about "the trauma of seeing everyone around you die".

There are plenty of very old people, who have outlived all their freidns and family, but are nevertheless fairly happy. They simply take a more zen view on life.
The trauma comes from multiple lifetimes, not just a single one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
It depends on the extend of the immortality.
Do you still age but don't die? Immortality without youth is pointless.
Do you not require basic requirements for life (air, water, food, sleep, heat, etc) or suffer the ill effects from the lack of it?
Are you still vulnerable to sickness and disease?
Are you killable or are you invulnerable or have super regeneration?
Immortality to me is that nothing will kill you and that you don't require the basic necessities that keep us regular folk going though you can become immobilized (think Captain America frozen in ice or enough gravitational force/pressure that prevents you from moving). Eternal Youth on the other hand, you are still vulnerable to sickness and what have you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
Am i alone in this line of thinking? Come on there's got to be some one else reading this thread who also believes that spiritual development would be paramount as an immortal being ? Otherwise your exsistance would be misserable.
Gotta do something when you're traveling the world

Last edited by Mr. DJ; 2012-05-29 at 10:14.
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 10:22   Link #60
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Actually immortality isn't a bad idea when you can afford to wait and *ahem* a loli that you like.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote