AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 42 15.73%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 50 18.73%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 67 25.09%
7 out of 10 : Good 57 21.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 28 10.49%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 10 3.75%
4 out of 10 : Poor 5 1.87%
3 out of 10 : Bad 6 2.25%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.75%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-01, 20:37   Link #101
luckyssol

I've read the first 3 epsidoes of the VN and am about a quarter of the way through the forth.

I thought the pace of the first anime episode was fast like everyone else but the good parts happen later on so I thought it was done well.

edit: my bad

Last edited by luckyssol; 2009-07-01 at 20:49.
Old 2009-07-01, 20:41   Link #102
Freelii
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasuberi View Post
As an end note, does anyone think it's a bad idea that I'd rather watch the adaption before reading the VNs themselves? I thought of reading them in correspondence to what's airing, but I'm sure I'd just get caught up in it and not stop reading... xD
I watched Higurashi before I read Onikakushi-hen (albeit, there was not english patch for that until recently) and was perfectly happy with how the anime told it. If anything, when I went to read Onikakushi, I was particularly impatient waiting for the horror/mystery stuff. That isn't to say I didn't enjoy reading it, but I was more interested in how the anime got to the important stuff quickly.

This time around, having read all Episodes of the VN, I know exactly where people are coming from with the "omg they left X scene out!"... However, I just rewatched the first episode of Umineko and am much more pleased with it now that I expect the pacing it has. I was able to sit back and enjoy it more without trying to worry what scenes may or may not be in this episode. Got some nice shivers out of the portrait's first appearance, Rosa's beatdown of Maria, and a mysterious silhouette walked up to her. Even the second time around.

@Ssol: Check the Spoilers and Expectations thread, there's some discussion going on about what might happen in future episodes as it's too spoilerific to mention here. Even with spoiler tags =p
Old 2009-07-01, 20:48   Link #103
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
If I were you Ssol, I would remove that spoiler or a very angry mod will delete it and give you a day ban...it has already happened to an unfortunate soul already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkypink View Post
You'll probably appreciate the anime more if you don't read the VN, I suppose. (All of us VN people are very "omg they left that out!" and "wait that's not right!" ) If you do VN after anime you might feel kind of depending on how much is really left out but I don't think it's a BAD idea per se.
This.

If you want to enjoy this series (more) then play after watching. What was I even thinking in suggesting otherwise earlier.

Since knowing it all does have an impact on how much you can enjoy it (as sad as it is).

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2009-07-01, 20:51   Link #104
Sinfully Naomi
Teddytears
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Sinfully Naomi
I feel it was quite rushed, actually. I especially didn't like the art style. I mean, it's a 2009 anime, surely the art could've been a smidge better. Problems I had were: Battler's eyes, female angry faces, ect. Just the art style in general. It felt empty to me, I didn't get the same feeling I got when I was playing the game. I could tolerate the art style and all, but the fact that it was so rushed sorta teared it for me. I think there needs to be better episode setup, and more information, along with the better distribution of it.
Old 2009-07-01, 21:01   Link #105
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Honestly, I feel like this first ep is probably better if you've played the game before, because otherwise it'll feel like all the characters are lacking in depth, and that every scene is just tacked on haphazardly to the one before.

Having played the game, I can at least appreciate seeing these characters in motion, and know what went on in the parts they didn't show.
Old 2009-07-01, 21:11   Link #106
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinfully Naomi View Post
I feel it was quite rushed, actually. I especially didn't like the art style. I mean, it's a 2009 anime, surely the art could've been a smidge better. Problems I had were: Battler's eyes, female angry faces, ect. Just the art style in general. It felt empty to me, I didn't get the same feeling I got when I was playing the game. I could tolerate the art style and all, but the fact that it was so rushed sorta teared it for me. I think there needs to be better episode setup, and more information, along with the better distribution of it.
The art style was chosen that way for the overall affect. If you want something super shiny (besides those introduction shots) or whatever go see Code Geass. Maybe I just think that the art isn't the most important element to the anime since I've played the VN, which had almost nothing animated but that's my opinion XD It's fitting for the genre.
Old 2009-07-01, 21:13   Link #107
d-one

just watching the ep and while I agree that this ep. really rushed but I can understand why they must rush it. I think that's why they release the navigation cd so people who cannot really understand the first ep. can understand via listening to the drama cd
Old 2009-07-01, 21:27   Link #108
Sinfully Naomi
Teddytears
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Sinfully Naomi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
The art style was chosen that way for the overall affect. If you want something super shiny (besides those introduction shots) or whatever go see Code Geass. Maybe I just think that the art isn't the most important element to the anime since I've played the VN, which had almost nothing animated but that's my opinion XD It's fitting for the genre.
Meh, it was just my preferences. I wasn't expecting something "shiny" as you say. I meant the way the characters looked, rather than the shading and things like that...
Old 2009-07-01, 22:44   Link #109
Micchi
兄さんが望むなら...

I'm glad that the anime has finally begun. And how quickly it has too. The whole episode felt extremely rushed, flying through the intros and getting right into it. I liked the Rosa/Maria scene. Natsuhi was um... big. It's still the first episode, so I'll give it a bit higher mark due to that alone (8/10). OP/ED were nice.
Old 2009-07-01, 23:03   Link #110
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Hmm...

OP... The part where the characters flashed on the screen was cool... The song is also cool. But the tempo/matching of song and visuals went of from the part where the scenes get "scary"...
ED... The chess board scene was cool, the VERY beginning was... The moment the "manly" song started, I was laughing. Just... what?

The animation... The character designs for a few characters felt awkward, mainly Battler and his eyes. The adults, for the most part, were fine... Though I thought the breasts of a few characters looked off at a few scenes...

Voices... Some matched, and a few like Rosa and Shannon didn't... The very thought of Kugimiya being Shannon... No... Ugh.....................................

The episode... was like everyone said, felt rushed. I haven't played or intend to ever play the game (come to think of it, why is it even in my computer... Got to delete it and free some space), but I've read enough of the manga to remember the names... Thankfully, since people that have never touched Umineko before probably are going (´・ω・`)? over the large cast that were suddenly introduced. It doesn't help that the characters' names are... like that...
Everything was so fast that pretty much everything liked impact and emotional involvement... Except that garden scene, where Maria's "U--" proved to be as incredibly annoying as ever. One might wonder if she had some disease involving her brain.......
Still... Sure went through a lot in one episode...

It's touch to choose between the censored and uncensored version... The uncensored version has more serious impact, but the *beep* is just hilarious.......

Overall, 6/10. It wasn't exciting, it wasn't dead boring. Don't have any attachment to the original story, so it getting messed up isn't irritating me as it does to the fans...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2009-07-01, 23:03   Link #111
Danichuu

Goodness the opening sequence made me smile so much I think it's pretty alright. Some of the art bugs me at times, like the faces and stuff. Maria sounds more childish than I expected.

And is it just me or does Rudolf's face at times remind me of John Travolta?
Old 2009-07-01, 23:06   Link #112
Mikachiru
test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danichuu View Post
And is it just me or does Rudolf's face at times remind me of John Travolta?
I was thinking Dan Hibiki from Street Fighter.
Old 2009-07-01, 23:27   Link #113
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

While many have pointed out that it felt a little rushed, the parts that they skipped over could be introduced later if need be. If the first episode was to introduce the characters, the setting, and the basic plot as quickly as possible it did its job. Sure the details were cut out, but they did manage to hit the big parts: the characters, the meeting, the introduction of Beatrice and the epitaph, and the Maria-Rosa relationship.

Overall I gave it a 9/10 for its promptness. Rather than spending minutes on details that could be covered in later episodes, it went straight to the facts and I am pleased with the outcome.
Old 2009-07-02, 00:58   Link #114
nagare
魔女狩り続行中

My thoughts:

Animation:
Better than I excepted.
But it'll never be up to par with other animations out there. I won't expect it to be. Not that I really care. I didn't pick this up for the graphics.

I do like the snap shots with the names.
Give it the detective feel and promotes the genre feel well.

Chara design:
I like them. Rosa 美人だなw

Cut scene:
I thought I'll never say this. The Sound Novels graphics were superior in presentation.
I wished they use a better breaking glass SE though.

Script:
The beeping... sigh. I would have expected better.
This comment caught my eye:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullchukka View Post
So, what are they censoring? Bad words? Prohibited words in Japan? (If there are any..)
It aired @ 1:30 AM in Japan, shouldn't that be way past bedtime for children? (That's how censoring works in our country)
Censorship in Japan.
I won't go in details (read wiki) but there is a list of words that have high probability to be censored on public airwaves.
Some of them:
http://monoroch.net/gallery/kinshi/

Story Presentation:
Not bad. I like how they titled it I-I and the next I-II.
I thought they covered what you need to know for the 1st EP in a good summerization.
No need to go overboard with info for EP 01.
There are plenty of places to go in detail of various other aspects.
The most important part is how EP II is going to be handled. That will make or break the series. If all EP I does is to present the overall story and grab attention then I'll be satisfied.

Sounds:
Sub-par for the moment. No really comment yet on this.

OP:
Hmm. The song itself isn't bad. The animation, some places it fit, but most of it didn't feel right. I guess IMO, the animation didn't fit the tempo of the song itself. The animation itself is fine though.

ED:
Sound Horizon? ^^;

Seiyuu:
I haven't been paying attention to who was going to play who, so I was quite surprised at the cast. Overall, I think they fit. Maria is actually cuter than I excepted. Kugyuu as Shanon was quite a surprise. Marina as Jessica fits. Ginzo as Sigma. heh
Overall pretty satisfied.

Overall: 6/10 in general quality of animation presentation.
If this rating system is just personal satisfaction, I guess around 7 or 8 out of 10.
Old 2009-07-02, 01:13   Link #115
Saerianne
*cackle*

Subbed version is out.
Old 2009-07-02, 01:19   Link #116
Christen
Endless Nine
*Artist

I'm afraid you might be disappointed with the recently released subs. I'd recommend you wait for another one if you're not picky with the translations.
Old 2009-07-02, 01:22   Link #117
Saerianne
*cackle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christen View Post
I'm afraid you might be disappointed with the recently released subs. I'd recommend you wait for another one if you're not picky with the translations.
Ahh, really? I might wait then.
Old 2009-07-02, 01:25   Link #118
Squirrellord

Send a message via MSN to Squirrellord
Quote:
Oh? What's wrong with them? (haven't seen them, just curious)
Old 2009-07-02, 01:26   Link #119
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Yeah, I'm moreso waiting for SEACATS and WinD. But if you can tell me more specifically what is wrong with CoalGG's subs then I could make a proper decision.
Old 2009-07-02, 01:27   Link #120
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrellord View Post
Oh? What's wrong with them? (haven't seen them, just curious)
CoalGG subs are fine for speedsubs.